PDA

View Full Version : 7th annual cross country wild hawgs style ride.

redneck diva
01-16-2018, 12:48 PM
looks like my hubby & his buddy are already planning another cross country trip. they have gotten addicted to riding cross country & hitting national parks & monuments,

this is the route that they are considering this year, prob in June 2018 as always anyone wanting to ride is more than welcome.

http://mapq.st/2D51SQn

looks like a ton of national parks & monuments will be close together on this trip, that's why they looking to stop at so many.

Raprider
01-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Nice! Maybe another time, when I have some actual miles under me :doorag:

redneck diva
01-18-2018, 03:14 PM
our 14 yr old girl likes to ride with them, its a reward for getting all A's in school every year.

so i pass on the long rides & most times just fly out to Vegas & see them when they come thru for the day.

2dogs
01-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Hey, any hubby/dad that's willing to take his daughter on a ride like this one for achieving a straight "A" report card has got my vote for dad of the year. :2thumbs::clap:

Grandpot
01-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Sounds like dad and daughter have a great relationship. My little girl is all grown up. I miss those days.

DDT
01-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Just curious as to how long they will spend on this trip.

ronrico
01-19-2018, 01:50 PM
looks like my hubby & his buddy are already planning another cross country trip. they have gotten addicted to riding cross country & hitting national parks & monuments,

this is the route that they are considering this year, prob in June 2018 as always anyone wanting to ride is more than welcome.

looks like a ton of national parks & monuments will be close together on this trip, that's why they looking to stop at so many.

I would suggest that they check out 'city of rocks' just outside of Silver City, NM; also look at going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon; less people and just as nice of views as the south rim. Was wondering why Mountainair, NM.

2dogs
01-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Sounds like dad and daughter have a great relationship. My little girl is all grown up. I miss those days.

My son and I rode dirt bikes when he was little, and we'd take mini vacations together on the bagger. Now it's just me, my wife and the dog and cat. :cheers:

redneck diva
01-22-2018, 01:14 PM
normally they leave on Saturday mornings & return the following sunday or so......... normally 9-12 days

their longest one was 2 years ago when they went all the way to crater lake in Oregon & down the Pacific Coat Highway. 14 days on that one 7,204 miles

redneck diva
01-22-2018, 01:20 PM
they like to hit national parks & national monuments & Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument is in MountainAir NM

hahahah both of them have 3 vest each, full of national park & monument patches from their travels. they enjoy getting those instead of the traditional patches you see on most vest. & it is definatly a conversation starter & my hubby loves to talk. hahahah

I would suggest that they check out 'city of rocks' just outside of Silver City, NM; also look at going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon; less people and just as nice of views as the south rim. Was wondering why Mountainair, NM.

redneck diva
01-24-2018, 04:54 PM
hahhahahaahahhaa MEN OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!

they keep adding to their trip. i told him if he keeps on he gonna be gone a whole month, & lord knows the shopping i can do with his AMEX card while he is out riding, (ya never leave home without it)

here is the up dated 3 part mapquest links for the ride they doing in June-July 2018

part #1

To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser: http://mapq.st/2DsmLZq (https://exchange.charter-business.net/owa/redir.aspx?REF=e1WTMWMcj9mOLORFB0c1HbApjRzG0cFtE1C 4Qql-Cf_8qlXhc2PVCAFodHRwOi8vbWFwcS5zdC8yRHNtTFpx)

part #2

To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser: http://mapq.st/2mGOdYU (https://exchange.charter-business.net/owa/redir.aspx?REF=O9NMlTK5L_n5Qlui6_uzspTM5wCdJrH7uJ4 ekvRKrEN1WMD7c2PVCAFodHRwOi8vbWFwcS5zdC8ybUdPZFlV)

Part #3

To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser: http://mapq.st/2DthAbH (https://exchange.charter-business.net/owa/redir.aspx?REF=MHjiDlZdBZDU4Ew8Z1SkFYNLedw5GlsUVjH AJsP72Ntwq9xVdGPVCAFodHRwOi8vbWFwcS5zdC8yRHRoQWJI)

hahahaha Boys will be Boys

JayD
01-24-2018, 07:01 PM

I may be interested in going on this trip. If okay I just need to arrange for my dialysis solution to be picked up somewhere out west. I can only carry enough on bike and trailer for seven days. Would that be a problem for you? I could always slip off and do that and catch back up.

vrodrjs
01-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Holy smokes that is a lot of ground to cover in a week..... on a bike.:shocked: I used to live in Snellville when I was a kid, left back in '78 when it was still a small town. That was when 78 was just 2 lanes all the way back to Stone Mountian.

Bob

Samson
01-24-2018, 09:55 PM
I have done a lot of the Arizona routes on this trip, plan for temps of about 110 to 115 , bring lots of water.

redneck diva
01-25-2018, 08:30 AM
not a problem at all.............
the more the merrier............
they always say they have a blast on these rides.

I may be interested in going on this trip. If okay I just need to arrange for my dialysis solution to be picked up somewhere out west. I can only carry enough on bike and trailer for seven days. Would that be a problem for you? I could always slip off and do that and catch back up.

redneck diva
01-25-2018, 08:31 AM
12 days not a week June 20th thru July 1st but yes still a lot of riding.

Holy smokes that is a lot of ground to cover in a week..... on a bike.:shocked: I used to live in Snellville when I was a kid, left back in '78 when it was still a small town. That was when 78 was just 2 lanes all the way back to Stone Mountian.

Bob

blacklightning
01-25-2018, 09:02 AM
This sounds like a very nice trip. I hope to do about a 3 week trip out west in the next 3-5 years. I just need to recover a little more from my daughters college tuition and other bills that racked up. Those things kind of put early retirement off by a couple of years. I hope to do this while I am still in good health and can enjoy this and many more trips. Have fun.

Chupaca
01-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Looks to be an awesome trip full of great visits...but...they are not going far enough west...:banghead: they will have a great time no doubt...:ohyea:

Highwayman2013
01-25-2018, 02:02 PM

Chiricaua National Monument is very nice. Check out Tombstone if you get a chance.

redneck diva
05-11-2018, 09:21 AM
days are getting closer until the Wild Hawg Style trip.

so far 4-5 people are going, anyone is welcome too if you like to ride & see the sights of this great country we live in.

ARtraveler
05-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a great trip. :bowdown::bowdown:

DesertRhino
05-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Awesome trip, tell them to wave as they pass through Tucson.:clap:

redneck diva
06-08-2018, 06:20 PM
the days are passing fast, they till planning to head out on June 20th if anyone is wanting to ride along for all or part of the wild hawgs ride.

canamjhb
06-08-2018, 06:51 PM
When they go to Roosevelt, AZ make sure to have lunch at Ma's Kitchen located just off the highway at Roosevelt Estates. The patty melt is the best in the world and they won't need another meal for a very long time. Just up the road is the Cliff Dwelling National Monument. A hike to the dwellings is for someone younger than me but they can be seen well from the parking lot and binoculars help. A very ambitious schedule. Should be a blast.

redneck diva
06-10-2018, 02:16 PM
will pass that along. sounds like they are going to have a blast. i hate that i cant do it with them, but i am glad my daughter is able to do it & build memories.

redneck diva
06-15-2018, 12:16 PM
here is the mapquest route maps for anyone wanting to ride all or part of the Wild Hawgs Ride. they heading out from GA on the 20th of June

i can give my hubby cel ### to anyone wanting it just PM me.

http://mapq.st/2ydRPKS (https://legacy-exchange.charter-business.net/owa/redir.aspx?REF=eu86sVjfza8fLvCrdtKxOcgwwLyb48Tm2Ew NDnmEp_uKGyJt49LVCAFodHRwOi8vbWFwcS5zdC8yeWRSUEtT) leg #1 of trip

http://mapq.st/2l8olEQ (https://legacy-exchange.charter-business.net/owa/redir.aspx?REF=ecuPrl8vcwfKuTgWk5N-6mnfpD_HpMGAqxpI4mTGAASbSaus49LVCAFodHRwOi8vbWFwcS 5zdC8ybDhvbEVR) leg #2 of trip

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes:

D Ryan
06-17-2018, 07:33 PM
That will be an awesome ride, I live in Arizona and have a suggestion to take 89A as opposed to 89 North to I-40. The trip up 89A from Sedona then on to Flagstaff is breathtaking. If they have time tell them to stop in Jerome and see the Douglas state park (https://azstateparks.com/jerome/things-to-do/audrey-headframe), and stop for a hamburger at Haunted Hamburger. Sedona has Slide Rock state park (https://azstateparks.com/slide-rock/). I attached a picture that I took from the rest area looking back to Sedona and 89A. In Flagstaff the best dive hamburger place would be Bun Huggers. Flagstaff also has a cool telescope, the Lowell observatory (https://lowell.edu/visit/) the problem is so many cool places and only so much time;).

Anyway, tell them to have fun trip :D

Dan

redneck diva
06-18-2018, 10:05 AM
awesome, i will pass it along to him,

thx

redneck diva
06-19-2018, 06:55 PM
tomorrow is the big day. Big Dawg & Butt Knuckles are heading out about 7am heading cross country. if anyone see's them on the highways across our great nation, tell em to slow down (knowing them) & be careful. I will see you July 1st when ya'll return

JayD
06-20-2018, 11:34 AM
tomorrow is the big day. Big Dawg & Butt Knuckles are heading out about 7am heading cross country. if anyone see's them on the highways across our great nation, tell em to slow down (knowing them) & be careful. I will see you July 1st when ya'll return

Good luck on the trip. Enjoy

redneck diva
06-20-2018, 09:57 PM
The wild Hawgs 2018 journey has began

redneck diva
06-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Day #1 is complete. Rode from Covington, GA to Poverty Point National Monument in Louisiana then started making our way towards Waco TX. Calling it a night in Kilgore TX & going to head towards Waco mammoth national monument in the morning. Over 700 miles covered today to get a good jump on this trip. Only hit rain twice so far. & it was a much welcomed refreshing change from the heat of the day

redneck diva
06-20-2018, 10:14 PM
We traveled thru Georgia—-Alabama———Mississippi———-Louisiana———into Texas. Today.

canamjhb
06-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Get ready for heat. The temperature here is heading up to 112 by this weekend. Stay safe.....

redneck diva
06-21-2018, 06:59 AM
Yes. Plenty of water. Time to hit the roads this am. Heading to Waco TX & beyond today

have to admit. I’m a two wheeler by nature but I do love the comfort of this spyder. & having 3 cup holders isn’t bad either. Especially riding in this heat

redneck diva
06-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Whew. What a day. We went to Waco Mammoth Memorial Monument Wonderful place. They have found the bones over 30 mammoths there. Started making our way to Big Bend National Park. But we experienced our first trip gremlin. Shane’s Indian keeps loosing power from battery terminal, Seems the bolt is stripped so we “repaired” in on roadside 7 times today & limped our way & stopped for the evening in Fort Stockton TX. We look for a dealer tomorrow (or parts store) & get it repaired & head towards Big Bend National Park afterwards:::::::: Ammarie found a way to beat the heat today, she called it motorcycle air conditioning. Bag of ice , some in our helmets & the rest melting & leaking from pin holes in the bag & spraying us as we ride. She even wore her rain gear pant to not have wet jeans, I wasn’t so smart.

redneck diva
06-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Another hot day in Texas & New Mexico. Went to Big Bend National park, Odessa Texas meteor crater, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Guadeloupe Mountains National Park, Ended in El Paso Texas for the evening.

redneck diva
06-22-2018, 11:39 PM
More pics from today

pegasus1300
06-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Great trip,thanks for the pictures and play by play. BTW for that striped screw get a big sheet metal screw. It will make its own threads as it goes in.

redneck diva
06-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Awesome. Ever thought of that. If it happens again we will. Thanks

Great trip,thanks for the pictures and play by play. BTW for that striped screw get a big sheet metal screw. It will make its own threads as it goes in.

redneck diva
06-23-2018, 08:06 AM
More pics from Friday

canamjhb
06-23-2018, 11:34 PM
Looking at their progress they should be around here about now. It's HOT and I hope they are riding OK. The locals here usually don't ride much except early morning or late evening this time of year. Short trips are OK but long riding in 110 degree + temperature is dangerous. Please pass along my thoughts and concern. This is a good thread and I look forward to seeing the updates.
If they get to Mesa in the next day or so, let them Know I have an extra bedroom and couch. And I have air conditioning.....
I would be more than glad to provide accommodations.....

redneck diva
06-23-2018, 11:48 PM
whew it’s a hot one. Left out early this morning & went to White Sands National Monument. A beach in the middle of the desert. Some of the prettiest white sands I have ever seen. It is definitely worth the heat to see it in person. After that we rode to Saguaro National Park. Another great Park then started making our way to Flagstaff for tomorrow’s adventures. We ended up in Anthem Arizona for the evening. 584 miles today & just over 2,400 for the trip since Wednesday. No mechanical problems today. Just many stops to get water & ice. Both for drinking & for ice in helmets Makes the heat tons more bearable to just put a few pieces in your helmet & let it melt while riding.

We we have decided to make a route adjustment & after flagstaff we are going to head to Vegas for a day of relaxing & air conditioning. Then get back to riding on Tuesday So tomorrow will be a flagstaff day then a Vegas night

redneck diva
06-23-2018, 11:49 PM
More pics from today

redneck diva
06-23-2018, 11:56 PM
And more pics

redneck diva
06-23-2018, 11:58 PM
& even more pics from today

time to get some rest & hit the roads at 6:30 am.

tehrlich
06-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Driving across Texas on I20 will be underwhelming, and hot.

If they could add a couple days, heading south to ride the Twisted Sisters, and maybe over to Big Bend NP, is VERY worth it! It will still be hot, but at least the riding time will be spectacular!

+++ Oops... just realized that they were already on their way! +++

redneck diva
06-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Yes. Hit big Bend a few days ago. Breathtaking.

Driving across Texas on I20 will be underwhelming, and hot.

If they could add a couple days, heading south to ride the Twisted Sisters, and maybe over to Big Bend NP, is VERY worth it! It will still be hot, but at least the riding time will be spectacular!

+++ Oops... just realized that they were already on their way! +++

redneck diva
06-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Left out early this morning & went to Montezuma Castle National Monument, Then off to Flagstaff. Saw Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, Wupatki National Monument, Walnut Canyon National Monument. May stops for water & ice for helmets again & off we were to Vegas. Just checked into the Luxor & gonna make use of their A/C. Take a day of relaxing by the pool & hit the roads again on Tuesday morning

redneck diva
06-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Pics from Sunday

redneck diva
06-24-2018, 09:00 PM
Part 3 of Sunday pics

redneck diva
06-24-2018, 09:02 PM
Even more Sunday pics

redneck diva
06-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Additional pics from Sunday travels

redneck diva
06-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Sun travels

pegasus1300
06-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. 123*,how do you do that even for a short time? I"ve ridden 95-100 but never that high that I know of.

redneck diva
06-25-2018, 12:07 PM
Soaking a bandana in water & wrapped around our necks. Then a few pieces of ice in helmets makes a world of difference. Sometimes we buy a bag of ice from gas stations & put between us. Keeps her cool from front & me cool from behind. As the ice melts. Make a few pin holes in the bag & the water will drain & the air flow of the spyder will make a nice mist to keep you cool longer.

redneck diva
06-26-2018, 12:22 AM
Monday. No travels today or tomorrow. Just rest & relaxation. Took my riding partner to see blue man group & to a great dinner at Camelot Steakhouse.

redneck diva
06-26-2018, 12:24 AM
Soaking a bandana in water & wrapped around our necks. Then a few pieces of ice in helmets makes a world of difference. Sometimes we buy a bag of ice from gas stations & put between us. Keeps her cool from front & me cool from behind. As the ice melts. Make a few pin holes in the bag & the water will drain & the air flow of the spyder will make a nice mist to keep you cool longer.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. 123*,how do you do that even for a short time? I"ve ridden 95-100 but never that high that I know of.

redneck diva
06-27-2018, 11:32 PM
we have been out on the roads 8 days now. Left Vegas early this morning & went to Grand Canyon National Park South Rim. Breath taking beautiful After that we hit the roads again & rode over to Four Corners. Got there 15 min after it had closed & gates were locked. Bedding down for the night in Cortez Colorado. Tried to load pics from today’s travels but WiFi was aweful & Cel hot spot not much better. I will load them tomorrow evening. Today was a 500+ mile day. Tomorrow shouldn’t be near that bad. Gonna hit Mesa Verde when it opens

TEWKS
06-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Love the pics, just awesome! :clap:

Pat

canamjhb
06-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Those smiles when you were at The Blue Man says it all.....

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Pics from Wednesday

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Part 2 Wednesday pics

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:29 PM
Part three Wednesday pics

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Today. Is Thursday I think. We went to Mesa Verde Mational Park & it was as all other parks. Beautiful. From there we rode to Aztec Ruins National Monument. The. To Bandelier National Monument. Another amazing day of beautiful sights this great country has to offer. Ended the evening in Santa Rosa New Mexico as we are working our way back towards Georgia.

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:39 PM
More Thursday pics

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:47 PM
Even more from Thursday

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:50 PM
And more

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Still going Thursday

redneck diva
06-28-2018, 11:57 PM
And going

redneck diva
06-29-2018, 12:01 AM
Last set for Thursday. Cause I’m tired & going to bed.

redneck diva
06-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Yes she loved the blue man group. She saw it 2 yrs ago when she rode from GA to Oregon & back & asked could we go see it again. She gets this trip as a reward for all A’s. After so many miles. She will say I don’t know if it’s a reward or a punishment lol.
Those smiles when you were at The Blue Man says it all.....

redneck diva
06-29-2018, 11:14 PM
Friday travels

we left out this morning & went to “The Blue Hole” in Santa Rosa. Pretty neat place. Crystal clear blue water & perfect water temp of 61 degrees year round After leaving there we rode to Aibate Flint Quarries National Monument. Way out in the middle of nowhere. But the ride is worth it, From there we went to The Oklahoma City Memorial & I must say. I hate that this place has to exist but it is done very well & will give you goose bumps. & yes I’m bragging. I looked up & I saw my riding partner Ammarie (buttknuckles) reading every plaque & saying a prayer in honor of those who died there. Left there & rode I little more to get to Shawnee Oklahoma for the evening. 505 miles today & over 4300 for the trip so far.

redneck diva
06-29-2018, 11:17 PM
Friday pics

redneck diva
06-29-2018, 11:19 PM
More pics from Friday travels

redneck diva
06-29-2018, 11:21 PM
Last set from Friday

redneck diva
06-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Saturday travels

rode to Hot springs National Park. Very cool. Water come out of the earth at 145 degrees almost half the town is effected by that & has hot spring water. Then road to Tunica Mississippi to spend our last night on the road at the gold strike hotel. It’s been tons of fun but tomorrow we will embark off to Georgia for the final days ride

JayD
06-30-2018, 09:14 PM
Saturday travels

rode to Hot springs National Park. Very cool. Water come out of the earth at 145 degrees almost half the town is effected by that & has hot spring water. Then road to Tunica Mississippi to spend our last night on the road at the gold strike hotel. It’s been tons of fun but tomorrow we will embark off to Georgia for the final days ride

Sounds like a great ride. Glad you enjoyed.

redneck diva
07-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Day 11 of the wild Hawgs 2018 adventure & it comes to a close. Rode from Tunica MS to Covington GA for the final leg of our journey. Had a great time. 11 days. Over 5,300 miles. 14 national parks or monuments, countless smiles & new memories Until we do it again next year. Good day all & hope you enjoyed the pics we shared. I now am home & return control of this forum page to my wife. Thanks hunny for letting me take your spyder across the country of ours.

canamjhb
07-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Great story and very much enjoyed following your adventures. Look forward to following you next year.....

redneck diva
07-05-2018, 09:43 AM
the redneck diva has return to take control of my page. hubby had a blast on his wild hawgs 2018 trip & wanted me to pass this info along to anyone interested.

they do this style trip every year & next year they are already talking about riding up to Glacier National Park & visit parks & monuments in that neck of the woods, if anyone may be wanting to ride with.

he just figured up all expenses & they were as follows: for those who may need to budget themselves, & think a trip like this is out of their budgets.

this trip was 11 days on the road. & covered 14 National Parks or Monuments & #5,535.1 miles fixed expenses were: Fuel---$558.21** Meals---$373.24** Hotels---$946.42** total --- $1,877.87**

he didn't include tshirts & other items as those are controlled by the individual & you can spend as much or as little as you wanted on that.

canamjhb
07-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Very useful. I assume the total costs are for 3 people, 1 bike and 1 Spyder pulling a trailer.....? My wife was asking me last night about the anticipated expense we will have for our upcoming 20-day trip. She will ride her Goldwing and I will be on the Spyder pulling the trailer. So our configuration will be pretty much like the hogs....?

redneck diva
07-05-2018, 09:18 PM
that cost was for my hubby & his daughter, spyder & pulling a trailer. his friend was not included in those figures.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Very useful. I assume the total costs are for 3 people, 1 bike and 1 Spyder pulling a trailer.....? My wife was asking me last night about the anticipated expense we will have for our upcoming 20-day trip. She will ride her Goldwing and I will be on the Spyder pulling the trailer. So our configuration will be pretty much like the hogs....?

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-05-2018, 11:09 PM
this trip was 11 days on the road. & covered 14 National Parks or Monuments & #5,535.1 miles
He must still be young and tough!!!! My old body wouldn't be able to handle more than ~300 miles/day for that many days!!

canamjhb
07-06-2018, 12:36 PM
that cost was for my hubby & his daughter, spyder & pulling a trailer. his friend was not included in those figures.

Thanks much. :thumbup:

redneck diva
07-06-2018, 01:00 PM
he is 48 going on 14..........

He must still be young and tough!!!! My old body wouldn't be able to handle more than ~300 miles/day for that many days!!