PDA

View Full Version : Helmet dilemna

Jeffmal
01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
When I purchased my F3T a couple of weeks ago, the dealer had slim choices
in helmets so I purchased a 3/4 Cyber for $50-..... Now I am looking for suggestions that are safe and not too
crazy price wise but comfort is also very important!
Any suggestions from you seasoned Ryders?

robhowen
01-15-2018, 03:14 PM
We have the Speed and Strength SS650 (or whatever is was a couple of years ago when we got them). The link is: http://www.ssgear.com/usa_english/helmets/open-face-helmets/ss650-helmets.html

I've had most everything in the past including very expensive helmets (Shuberth, etc).

We both really like the SS650 and if something happened to the one I have I'd purchase another one. I think it's great value for the price, and price seems important to you.

Good luck,
Rob

ARtraveler
01-15-2018, 03:26 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new ryde.

When upgrading your helmets you should consider what communicators should I use with them. If you are going to communicate with a passenger or second bike.

A good modular helmet (less communicators) will set you back between $250 and up. Try Baja Ron a vendor here on SL.

Brands, I like Nolan modulars. Others will chime in.

Jeffmal
01-15-2018, 03:29 PM
When upgrading your helmets you should consider what communicators should I use with them. If you are going to communicate with a passenger or second bike.

A good modular helmet (less communicators) will set you back between $250 and up. Try Baja Ron a vendor here on SL.

Brands, I like Nolan modulars. Others will chime in.

Thanks for the reminder.
I am also considering a built in communicator!

asp125
01-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Hit up Revzilla.com. Great reviews and fitting advice, and top notch customer service and return policy.

That is, if you can't support your local independent retailer or they don't have stock.

Pirate looks at --
01-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Before you rule out a helmet because of Price, ask your self; "How much is my brain worth. We ryde with Arai helmets that cost us over $600.00 each and are Snell certified. Really the most important consideration is, how does it fit. If you are uncomfortable you will be miserable. Don't shop at the dealer, they usually carry very little in inventory. Go to Cyclegear if you have one close by, they have lots of options to choose from and you can try them on to know that they will fit. Walk around the store for a while so you can get a good feel for how it fits. You can also go to Revzilla.com and see video reviews of most helmets.

Happy shopping!:yes:

crazycanuck
01-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Arai all day :yes:

ARtraveler
01-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reminder.
I am also considering a built in communicator!

Communicator brands that are good. Sena, Cardo, Nolan. I would not waste time with Chatterbox. SENA appears to be the most well liked on the site. Motorcycle Dave (vendor) has these. SENA will no longer fit on the Nolan helmets. Nolan communicators only seem to work on the Nolan newer helmets. The lip on the bottom of the helmets sticks to far out to clamp other communicators. :thumbup:

Jeffmal
01-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Before you rule out a helmet because of Price, ask your self; "How much is my brain worth. We ryde with Arai helmets that cost us over $600.00 each and are Snell certified. Really the most important consideration is, how does it fit. If you are uncomfortable you will be miserable. Don't shop at the dealer, they usually carry very little in inventory. Go to Cyclegear if you have one close by, they have lots of options to choose from and you can try them on to know that they will fit. Walk around the store for a while so you can get a good feel for how it fits. You can also go to Revzilla.com and see video reviews of most helmets.

I just found out there is a cyclegear close by.
I don't mind spending the money if its necessary, I just don't need an overkill ( so to speak ).
Thanks all for the advice!

Pirate looks at --
01-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Go check them out. You will find what you are looking for. Then compare prices from online retailers, and buy the best priced option.

ARtraveler
01-15-2018, 03:51 PM
There have been many threads on helmets (like tires and oil). It all boils down to personal choices. Full face, modular, 3/4, or 1/2?

You may see the "safety" chart posted before this thread has run its course.

I don't like full face. I prefer modular and that is both Linda and my choice. I buy helmets for fit, style, and ergos. Price is secondary so far. Likewise, rider safety gear--but that is for another thread. :roflblack::roflblack:

JayBros
01-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Hit up Revzilla.com. Great reviews and fitting advice, and top notch customer service and return policy.

That is, if you can't support your local independent retailer or they don't have stock.

A big +1 on Revzilla! When we were looking for a helmet for my bride I played hell trying to find one that was comfortable for her. We tried three different orders from Revzilla, buying two sizes on each order in the hope that something would fit and be comfortable. Unfortunately they did not have a successful candidate but their customer service was fantastic and the telephone reps really tried very hard to find the right model and size. We ultimately settled on a model that is close enough for afternoon rides but would not be the final selection for long touring, but she prefers just moderate length afternoon rides anyway.

Samson
01-15-2018, 05:29 PM
One of the best helmets made- Stilo, crazy costly.

Raprider
01-15-2018, 05:40 PM
CycleGear has full-face and modular helmets with built-in bluetooth communications for pretty darn reasonable prices...unfortunately, not in the XS that me and the missus needed...so we recently (2 years ago) went with Scorpion modular lids and are both very happy with fit...and will be adding Sena setups by Spring.

Mazo EMS2
01-15-2018, 05:43 PM
in helmets so I purchased a 3/4 Cyber for $50-..... Now I am looking for suggestions that are safe and not too

We've had great luck with our Bell helmets. It really comes down to the shape of your melon and what fits it. Best advice I'd give is to go to a dealer with a good selection and start trying some on. Write down what works, then go online and order it. Unless of course your dealer is willing to give a decent discount.....

canamjhb
01-15-2018, 05:56 PM
I like modular. It's easier to get my big fat head in compared to a full face. And it provides chin bar protection while still allowing me to open the shield when I want. My wife and I went to a motorcycle Helmet Store and with the help of a very patient clerk, chose the Nolan helmets. The advice about trying several on and walking around the store is spot on. They must fit correctly and be comfortable. And, we have Sena communicators mounted to our Nolans. They do fit great but just need to use the secondary mounting system (stick-on) which was included with the communicators. My thoughts on choosing a helmet are

1. Safety

2. Comfort

3. Communicator compatibility

4. Price

Fire34
01-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Nolan N40 full. they are a type of modular with a removable chin guard. We also got the Nolan B5 intercoms at the same time/ they are integrated into the helmet/ I would have to get the invoice from the dealer but he gave us 20% off and a free upgrade to the B5. They were not too bad price wise as far as I was concerned.

Dave

sandeejs
01-15-2018, 06:43 PM
I had an HJC FG Jet when I crashed recently. Always thought I would have a broken nose in any face first crash, but I did not.

Initially, I bought the helmet because it was the only one I could find in yellow. I just purchased another because I felt it protected me well. Only had a mild concussion (plus the broken ribs).

What I did not know, when I first ordered the helmet, is that is has a built in sunshade. Once I learned how it worked, I could stop wearing sunglasses!

One of the local shops had helmets fairly close to what they cost online, so I was able to try it on etc.

Bob Denman
01-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Use Revzilla as the great source of information that it is. :thumbup:
Buy the Helmet that fits your head the best.
ANY helmet is better than no helmet at all...

Having said this: Schuberth C-3 Pro... :2thumbs:

Biscuit
01-15-2018, 08:29 PM
First I would agree with Pirate looks at -- (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?13524-Pirate-looks-at) . The question is do you have a $5 head or a $600 head? I am not being an @$$ because for years I wore cheaper helmets. I could never get one that was comfortable and would get a headache after an hour or so. About four years ago after extensive research I purchase a full-face Aria (agree with crazycanuck (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?3092-crazycanuck)) because I ride every day in Atlanta traffic. Last year I went down on my Gold Wing at 3mph in the parking garage at work. I was taking off and had just let the clutch out and guy came in the wrong way about 30 mph. I caught something coming from the direction I was moving and mashed the brakes and the bike just tipped over. My foot caught under the side of the bike then I hit my knee, hip and head. I messed my foot up and got a concussion. With a lesser helmet I would have been seriously injured. I had a mark where the helmet had hit the ground but I am a believer that it saved me once and that is enough. A co-worker was in his truck and got out and asked me if I was alright because he heard my head hit the ground. I went with comfort but safety has to be first. Sorry for the long post.

Rod

PocoToro
01-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm for Icon, Graphics, Alliance GT. Revzilla is a great source. I'm about 2.5 hrs. from Philly, makes a nice day trip.

rpatsh
01-15-2018, 09:17 PM
Fit, Fit, Fit, that is the important thing!!!

Wildrice
01-15-2018, 09:26 PM

I've had several helmets in both DOT & (2) Shoei Snell versions. The various DOT brands are much more comfortable than my Shoei Snell's. Make sure U try the helmets on & wear them for at least 10 minutes. I have track tested both. With the DOT i ended up with a big lump on the opposite side on my head of pavement contact. With the Shoei I tumbled in a forward roll for 70+ yards. Not one lump on my head. General street riding I use a DOT--Snell's are tight on the head. Thus to each his own on helmet choice. I kinda like the idea of a speaker-earpiece helmet on rides with a passenger. I discourage the helmets without chin protection--I've seen someone shorten their nosenojoke
Darrell

RZ-Jackrabbit
01-15-2018, 09:39 PM
The first helmet that I bought when I purchased the RT and this helmet had the Sena system added to it. What I found was that the Sena speakers would cause ear pain after I had worn the helmet for some times less than an hour. I found the Bell Mag-9 which is designed for the Sena and the speakers fit into pockets. This helmet does not cause ear pain for me anyway :yes:. I had Bell helmets long ago and never had any issues with them.

gnorthern
01-16-2018, 12:57 AM

I want to strongly agree.

I ride both a bicycle and motorcycle and in both cases I have found the fit to vary widely between brands. I currently ride with a newer Shoei helmet since they redesigned it a few years back and changed the shape. Previously I also rode a Shoei since Arai's, Bells, etc were not even a close fit, but it was not comfortable. I have turned my older helmet into my winter helmet with a shield attachment that prevents it from fogging. With bicycles I always rode with a Giro since helmets like Bell did not fit me. Now Bell bicycle helmets fit me and Giro's don't.

old Timer
01-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Be fore warned....A half Helmet is nothing more than a PRETEND Helmet, nothing more. A good flip up is a good choice.

Bob Denman
01-16-2018, 08:27 AM
:agree: nojoke

Highwayman2013
01-16-2018, 09:25 AM
I agree that regardless of cost, a helmet must fit well and be comfortable. A $1000 helmet means nothing if you won't wear it because of pain or hot spots. I have a round head that is large so the best fit I could find was in an HJC IS Max 2 in 3X. It's modular with good ventilation and a drop down sun shield. Around $200 My wife likes her Sedici Systema from Cycle Gear, also modular with a drop down sun shield. Around $200. The SENA 20s unit fits fine in both.

2Paw
01-16-2018, 09:29 AM
I have this helmet and like it very much for the wide range of vision if offers, I don't care much for the quick release strap though, I prefer the strap and D ring method. Overall I'm very happy with this helmet though.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nolan-n44-helmet

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-16-2018, 11:06 AM
And two helmets of different models and different years and the same size from the same mfr won't necessarily fit the same.

Sierra Electronics will, or at least used to, let you order more than one helmet and return the ones you don't like.

CA Railwhale
01-16-2018, 01:40 PM
CycleGear has full-face and modular helmets with built-in bluetooth communications for pretty darn reasonable prices...unfortunately, not in the XS that me and the missus needed...so we recently (2 years ago) went with Scorpion modular lids and are both very happy with fit...and will be adding Sena setups by Spring.

My wife and I have Scorpion Exo 3/4 helmets. We like them very much. The not only have the clear face shield, but a retractable sun visor as well, so in daylight, you can run just sun visor protecting your eyes, face shield or both. They are lightweight and comfortable and seem to be very protective. If I remember correctly we paid about $150.00 each retail from the dealer.

asp125
01-16-2018, 02:56 PM
I've tried $600+ Arai's and Shoei, $129 HJC and KBC, and everything in between. Currently my collection has AGV, Suomy, and Bell. Bell by the way, has Sena integration on their Qualifer DLX line - the Sena SMH10 unit fits into a little pocket in the shell.

You don't have to spend top dollar. Many road racers who ride twice as fast as you, have perfectly safe helmets at reasonable prices. Look for Snell, ECE, and DOT approved helmets. https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/helmet-safety-ratings-101 Anything without are considered "novelty" helmets. While there is debate whether a $1000 carbon fiber limited edition race helmet is 5x safer than a $200 off the shelf unit, the general rule of thumb is the more expensive ones have more features and are lighter or quieter.

If this is your first helmet, go to an actual shop and try all of them on. Cyclegear has a good selection of their inexpensive house brand and the premium Shoei and Arai. They all fit differently even within the same brand. Try, try and try some more.

Tango
01-16-2018, 03:46 PM
Wife has an HJC RPHA MAX and loves it. Probably the lightest Modular on the market. I have a KABUTO Modular. We both love our helmets. And the SENA units fit and work great. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

ARtraveler
01-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Correction?/Update?

RE: SENA communicators and newest Nolan modular helmets.

The SENA communicators that I have (SMH-10) do not attach to the lip on the above mentioned NOLAN's. I use the screw down attachment. I have not tried the "stick on" tabs. Just an update, because I see others have had success with the SENA on Nolan.

We bought the built in N-Com with the Nolans. They are NOT as good (reception wise) as our SENA--which we have mounted on earlier versions of Nolan.

Highwayman2013
01-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Correction?/Update?

RE: SENA communicators and newest Nolan modular helmets.

The SENA communicators that I have (SMH-10) do not attach to the lip on the above mentioned NOLAN's. I use the screw down attachment. I have not tried the "stick on" tabs. Just an update, because I see others have had success with the SENA on Nolan.

We bought the built in N-Com with the Nolans. They are NOT as good (reception wise) as our SENA--which we have mounted on earlier versions of Nolan.

Tried the stick on for the wife's 20s and it came unglued out on the road. I found a way to make the clamp work.

CESchmutz
01-16-2018, 05:23 PM
You said you have a Cycle Gear near you. Go try on as many as you can handle. My forehead was raw, after trying on over a dozen helmets a few weeks ago, at my local Cycle Gear. Helmets are personal. Irrespective of price or rating, you want the helmet to be comfortable. I tried everything on from $100 lids to helmets in excess of $600. I used to be really comfortable with HJC; however, my oval head shape doesn't seem to work with the newer models. I tried on everything from Bilt to Arai. I settled on an AGV K3 SV. The helmet works great and readily accepted the Sena 10S communications system. The folks at Cycle Gear installed the system in my helmet for me at no additional charge. Truth be told, they are rather simple to put in. The AGV works great for me and the Sena 10S is absolutely stellar for my needs. Good luck.

asp125
01-16-2018, 05:47 PM
When trying on helmets, ignore the price. Keep trying different ones until you find one that fits. (newbies, ask a good salesman or read up on how a helmet should fit). Most people at first end up getting a helmet that is too big for them. Once you find the best fitting one, then look at the price and if it's more than your budget, ask the salesman for help on similar helmets as far as head shape, size, and features.

wyliec
01-16-2018, 06:05 PM
A site sponsor BajaRon sells helmets or did. He's very good with the explanation for fitting. He helped me select different arai pads due to a fitment screw up at the dealer for an arai helmet.

Fat Baxter
01-16-2018, 08:43 PM
First, figure out what your head shape is -- round, round oval, intermediate oval, or long oval. This is the most important thing you need to determine. It is absolutely critical to comfort and safety.

Different helmets within major brands cater to different heads shapes. Arai in general caters to oval heads, and their Signet line is one of the very few that caters to long oval heads. Shoei does a lot of intermediate oval helmets.

Revzilla does a good job of identifying which helmets fit which head shapes. You should try several helmets, each chosen to test how its shape fits on your noggin.

For example, I've used Arai Signets for my last three helmets due to my long oval head shape. I tried a Shoei Neotec (because I really, really wanted a modular helmet), and bought their slightly larger headliner to see if that would accommodate my head. It didn't, and now I have a perfectly good Neotec sitting on my shelf.

Moral: get the proper helmet for the shape of your head.

Jeffmal
01-17-2018, 01:34 PM
First off, I want to thank everyone for their input!
I kinda put everything into a blender and came out buying a Shoei Neotec modular.
This helmet had all the bells and whistles and was very comfortable.
It was a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm sure it will be well worth it in
the long run.
Thanks again all.....
Jeff

blitzkreig
01-17-2018, 01:51 PM
First, figure out what your head shape is -- round, round oval, intermediate oval, or long oval. This is the most important thing you need to determine. It is absolutely critical to comfort and safety.

Different helmets within major brands cater to different heads shapes. Arai in general caters to oval heads, and their Signet line is one of the very few that caters to long oval heads. Shoei does a lot of intermediate oval helmets.

Moral: get the proper helmet for the shape of your head.

I found Caberg helmets offer a great fit for "long oval" shaped heads like mine. I take a XXL and most manufacturers helmets just don't fit. At all. These are German made I believe and offer a terrific value with all of the options like flip down sun shade and pin lock visor ...

If you have a noggin like mine this helmet will fit snuggly side to side and front to back.

amazon.com has them and they are very reasonably priced. Very.

Pirate looks at --
01-17-2018, 04:11 PM
I kinda put everything into a blender and came out buying a Shoei Neotec modular.
It was a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm sure it will be well worth it in
the long run.
Thanks again all.....
Jeff
The story ends with a happy ending, enjoy your new helmet!

malibu_dan
01-17-2018, 05:11 PM
I agree that regardless of cost, a helmet must fit well and be comfortable.

+100 This is the most important thing with helmets. Especially if you want to ride further than your corner grocery store. I've spent a lot on a helmet just to find it has a 'hot spot' one hour into riding. An uncomfortable helmet can be much more dangerous than whether it has a Snell, Snark, ECE, or whatever rating. Being uncomfortable is distracting beyond belief on a long road trip.

Try it on at a local store, shop prices online if you want--but make sure the online retailer has a great return policy.

Fat Baxter
01-18-2018, 12:54 AM
.....make sure the online retailer has a great return policy.

Most dealers won't accept a return helmet if you admit you've taken it out on the road. (hint, hint)

In my Neotec example above, I wore it around in the store for a while and it felt OK. The inevitable hot spot didn't show up until about two hours into the first ride. Then it became insufferable. But the dealer won't take it back.

R30SHIRE
01-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Exactly my feelings also. You really do get what you pay for.

rkba101
01-19-2018, 10:32 PM
I love the helmet and it was Snell / dot.. Under 2 bills..
https://www.denniskirk.com/scorpion/full-face-helmets
https://www.revzilla.com/scorpion-helmets?gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHICOxhpE7LxX hb0bDltI5_-w4O4BpG1LMlb-sgUDOUi8gZR5CYAWGxoCqU8QAvD_BwE
GL Be safe..

Motorcycledave
01-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Go to your local Cycle Gear Store they will have a bunch of
different helmets to pick from or go on line to Cyclegear.com

old Timer
01-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Just picked up a new Shoei Neotec on close out at the new Cycle Gear store in Chattanooga, Tn. About $100.00 off.

Like it, very comfortable.

They have a huge selection in that store. :thumbup:

CA Railwhale
01-20-2018, 05:58 PM
the long run.
Thanks again all.....
Jeff

Money spent on safety is money well spent even if you never use what you bought. When you need good safety gear, it's too late to buy it. What it comes down to is, what is your life worth? When I used to race sailboats, I had really good quality automatic inflatable life jackets equipped with laser signals, water activated flashing beacon, die markers (that was the result of another boat losing a man over the side in heavy swells during a race and even with helos , the coasties and Sheriff's marine patrol and a half dozen race boats looking, we couldn't find him. He was lucky enough to be seen by a worker on a oil platform) whistles and small, waterproof VHF radios. I never needed any of it, but it was cheap peace of mind. The photo I use is about the only time I ever raced without wearing my life vest. Later that day when the wind and swells picked up we all dressed up.

rtotten
01-20-2018, 08:57 PM
I recently found out the Cycle gear was purchased by Revzilla. Cycle Gear gives veterans a 10% discount. Cycle Gear can also get any helmet that Revzilla carries. My wife and I ordered and got the new Schuberth C-4 helmet. This helmet is supposedly one of the quietest on the market. It is just about as light as a Carbon Fiber also. We also got the Schuberth version of the Sena 30K system, which is just 2 little packs that are placed in the housing of the helmets. Makes for a Nice, clean look. So far we are really impressed. The only thing we don't like about Schuberth is the size of the helmets, they are large, I wear a large and it doesn't fit in the Frunk.

Good luck in your search for a helmet... We value our heads so we go with good ones.