PDA

View Full Version : The 3 wheeled cycle market just got more interesting

Rob Rodriguez
01-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Saw this article at Spyder Life Magazine. http://www.financialexpress.com/auto/bike-news/yamaha-to-add-more-three-wheeled-lean-machines-to-its-lineup-buys-patent-for-brudeli-leanster/1002602/

Looks like Yamaha will now have 3 reverse trike type models soon. I have to think Honda will be close behind since they have been showing concept bikes the last few years.

What I find interesting.....Both Honda and Yamaha are showing, and in Yamaha's case building, 3 wheeled, reverse trike designs that lean. How long and how many people have been on this forum asking for BRP to have a leaning Spyder? I'm not sure why BRP has such a reluctance to building leaning and performance minded Spyders but this may finally force them to do so.

SPYD3R
01-05-2018, 11:28 AM
SORRY, but this just doesn't compete with our SPYD3RS......
those front wheels need to be connected to a Double-Wish-Bone configuration to compete.... until a manufacturer comes out with a similar configuration, i'm not interested....
i truly hope that :bowdown: HONDA 156820 is researching a direct competitor to BRP's creation.... :yes:
Dan P
SPYD3R

Bob Denman
01-05-2018, 11:31 AM
They look interesting, but they're not here yet, and I still prefer my Spyder! :2thumbs:

pegasus1300
01-05-2018, 11:41 AM
In the latest issue of Rider Magazine the show some of the Yamaha line up for 2018 and the 3 wheeler is listed there with a projected test date.

kamper
01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Spyder still wins my vote

canamjhb
01-05-2018, 12:16 PM
In the first picture showing the bike throwing dirt from the road, the rider is leaning out from the turn. Not what I would have expected. Still much prefer my Spyder

cptjam
01-05-2018, 01:38 PM
They look interesting, but they're not here yet, and I still prefer my Spyder! :2thumbs:
It came in? I thought you were Spyder-free right now......

bronzeflex42
01-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Love the Spyder!! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
01-05-2018, 02:18 PM
It came in? I thought you were Spyder-free right now......
When I say "My Spyder": I'm referring to ALL of them... :thumbup:
But I'm still waiting for number three. :banghead:

asp125
01-05-2018, 02:30 PM
As to why BRP hasn't built a leaner. Don't forget, both Yamaha and Honda are much larger companies and have deeper pockets to do R&D.

retread
01-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Yamaha just bought the patent for the Brudeli (spelling?) leaning trike. Check The Kneeslider site.

john

Raprider
01-05-2018, 02:57 PM
When I say "My Spyder": I'm referring to ALL of them... :thumbup:
But I'm still waiting for number three. :banghead:

Bob...isn't it a bit chilly in the Catskills today? I know it is way cold here in NJ...

ARtraveler
01-05-2018, 03:49 PM
When and if one of the "big boys" (Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki) does build some competition for the :spyder2:, it is going to be very interesting. If they are willing to keep the pricing affordable, they will have a winner.

If they use what the market will bear pricing or if they get to the $40's, no, no, no. HD now has some models that reach the $40's.

I am betting the new entry level GW (two wheels of course) at $23,500 is going to take off big time--again. :yes:

Rob Rodriguez
01-05-2018, 04:04 PM
When and if one of the "big boys" (Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki) does build some competition for the :spyder2:, it is going to be very interesting. If they are willing to keep the pricing affordable, they will have a winner.

If they use what the market will bear pricing or if they get to the $40's, no, no, no. HD now has some models that reach the $40's.

I am betting the new entry level GW (two wheels of course) at $23,500 is going to take off big time--again. :yes:

I think if one of the "big boys" built a reverse trike design that was designed for a different demographic than the current Spyder line up they would have a winner.

gnorthern
01-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Since BRP stock is doing just fine (almost doubling over the past year), either they are making a total killing on other items, which I doubt, Spyders are trivial part of the company, again which I doubt, or investors are not worried about the Yamaha.

Bumble_B
01-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Saw this article at Spyder Life Magazine. http://www.financialexpress.com/auto/bike-news/yamaha-to-add-more-three-wheeled-lean-machines-to-its-lineup-buys-patent-for-brudeli-leanster/1002602/

Looks like Yamaha will now have 3 reverse trike type models soon. I have to think Honda will be close behind since they have been showing concept bikes the last few years.

What I find interesting.....Both Honda and Yamaha are showing, and in Yamaha's case building, 3 wheeled, reverse trike designs that lean. How long and how many people have been on this forum asking for BRP to have a leaning Spyder? I'm not sure why BRP has such a reluctance to building leaning and performance minded Spyders but this may finally force them to do so.

Article mentions "unique looking bike".... code for FUGLY.

gnorthern
01-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Article mentions "unique looking bike".... code for FUGLY.

And the Spyder isn't? My oldest daughter called it a dorky old man batmobile.

Highwayman2013
01-05-2018, 07:54 PM
When they start selling them to the public and are tested by a few sources, I’ll take a look.

Culpjp
01-06-2018, 05:19 PM
When I was at Homecoming, I noticed that one of the patents on display was for a leaning system. Just because BRP hasn't released one doesn't mean they haven't designed one. Who knows it could be the 10K Spyder coming for 2019.

Chupaca
01-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Still these models are like the threewheeled scooters. They have a very narrow stance with a massive amount of suspension parts up front..:dontknow: I personally don't want a three wheel leaner. I would go back to two wheels you loose all the benefits ...

PistonBlown
01-06-2018, 09:16 PM
There are two 'motorcycle' markets that BRP Spyders don't cater for:

Adventure Bikes
Several issues here:

Belt drive on the Spyder is never going to be off-road friendly
Nanny setup + car rear tire isn't configured to handle spirited off-road riding (I've tried;-)).
Higher ride height would mean leaning version is required for stability
They already have a range of quads/side-by-sides for the off-road market so wouldn't want to poach customers, problem is these are not suitable on-road.

Sports/Sports Tourer
Originally this was covered by the GS/RS, with the ST being OOTB Sports Tourer. There's currently nothing in the lineup that covers that, the F3 variants being 'cruiser' based with a sitting position to match.

Looking at the photos in that article it would suggest Yamaha may be targeting both those gaps.

4 MARIE
01-07-2018, 08:27 AM
When I was at Homecoming, I noticed that one of the patents on display was for a leaning system. Just because BRP hasn't released one doesn't mean they haven't designed one. Who knows it could be the 10K Spyder coming for 2019.

just my opinion, but wrongo bongo

Spyderglide
01-07-2018, 09:41 AM
https://paultan.org/2017/10/25/2018-yamaha-niken-leaning-multi-wheeler-lmw-revealed-three-wheels-double-forks-and-it-leans/2018-yamaha-niken-lmw-details-11/

Kickstand!

asp125
01-07-2018, 12:54 PM
While there might be a segment that would want a leaning 3 wheeler, count me out. The point of lean is finite, I mean that past some point the geometry will lock up and not go past that lean angle. Exceed that and bad things will happen. If I want a leaning bike, it's a two wheeler that I can drag a knee. The Spyder is for more sedate riding, and I've got both sides covered, with neither being a compromise.

Peter Aawen
01-07-2018, 06:42 PM
...... The Spyder is even better at the fast & exciting riding than many 2 wheelers AND YET still allows for more sedate riding, so I've got both sides covered, with neither being a compromise.

Fixed it for you asp125! :thumbup:

And you are right, if you really want a bike that leans, there are already lots of great 2 wheeler examples out there, why wouldn't you?? :dontknow:

But then, depending on the effort you want to put in or the way you want to ryde today, the Spyder can handle the fast & exciting and the sedate & gentle and is up for soo much more besides - the only real limitation is you & the way you want to ryde! ;) Altho I'd still like a turbo & a more relaxed nanny...... :rolleyes:

Fat Baxter
01-07-2018, 09:11 PM
My initial concerns relate to durability and mechanical complexity. If it's a complex solution, it may be more fussy to maintain. The Spyder's current suspension draws from many years of automotive suspensions and chassis design; it's pretty straightforward and thus easy to make sturdy and durable. Who knows? Maybe durability won't be an issue. Perhaps the solution isn't as hard as I imagine.

However, if the bike leans, you're right back to the relatively shorter life of regular motorcycle tires -- and now you have to pony up for three, not two. Quality motorcycle tires ain't cheap.

Finally, looking at those designs, there's no room for a frunk, so maybe the Spyder will retain the edge for cargo capacity. And towing ability.

SpyderBears
01-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Have any of you seen the Sturgis reverse trike kit thats being installed on the Honda Goldwings? It's amazing how much they look like the Can Am Spyder!
The Sturgis website is not in English, but check out Gene's Gallery in Springfield,MO. to see pics and get info. It might be fun to visit Gene's while down at SpyderFest in May.
We're interested to see them and may trade the Spyder for one eventually, primarily because of Honda's track record for reliability which I'm not sure Can Am can beat.
We love our 2015 RT Limited, but have been discouraged this past riding season with our oil leak issues (which are hopefully fixed now, but will have to wait for Spring to be sure)

Check 'em out and let me know what y'all think!

SpyderBears
01-08-2018, 08:20 AM
SORRY, but this just doesn't compete with our SPYD3RS......
those front wheels need to be connected to a Double-Wish-Bone configuration to compete.... until a manufacturer comes out with a similar configuration, i'm not interested....
i truly hope that :bowdown: HONDA 156820 is researching a direct competitor to BRP's creation.... :yes:
Dan P
SPYD3R

IMHO the Yamahas are really awful looking. We do like the looks of the Sturgis reverse trike its installed on the Honda Goldwings. Look very much like the Spyder!

PrairieSpyder
01-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Still these models are like the threewheeled scooters. They have a very narrow stance with a massive amount of suspension parts up front..:dontknow: I personally don't want a three wheel leaner. I would go back to two wheels you loose all the benefits ...

:agree:

. . . The Spyder is for more sedate riding, . . .

Speake for yourself. :lecturef_smilie: I don't ryde sedate! I'd challenge any 3-wheel leaner to beat me in the twisties.

asp125
01-08-2018, 10:09 AM
:agree:

Speake for yourself. :lecturef_smilie: I don't ryde sedate! I'd challenge any 3-wheel leaner to beat me in the twisties.

Sedate for ME, compared to my GSXR. I've never been able to beat my 2 wheeled time up one stretch of local twisties on a Spyder. 600lbs Spyder vs 424lb sportbike?

Yes the Spyder can be faster than most all cruisers and other non-race reps. We've beaten that one to death before.
:bdh:

opiewhan
01-08-2018, 11:15 AM

you have your TRIKE, one wheel in front 2 in back, then you have a ROADSTER, 2 wheels in front , 1 in back.. Reverse trike? I did have a person asking who is riding the "tri-pod looking thingy", that is my favorite reference to the Spyder as of now..

ofdave
01-08-2018, 02:01 PM
you have your TRIKE, one wheel in front 2 in back, then you have a ROADSTER, 2 wheels in front , 1 in back.. Reverse trike? I did have a person asking who is riding the "tri-pod looking thingy", that is my favorite reference to the Spyder as of now..

A trike with two wheels in front is a reverse trike also called a tadpole trike.
The Spyder is a reverse trike. The "roadster" name was given it by BRP.

Some interesting reading here:
http://www.reversetrike.com/

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Showing at CES this week. Not a competitor to the Spyder but will be to the Slingshot for those who want something more classy. The Vanderhall all electric Edison2 was brought out last November. More info here: https://electrek.co/2018/01/08/all-electric-vanderhall-motor-edison-three-wheeler/ and https://vanderhallusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vanderhall-Edison-PressRelease-v1.pdf
(https://vanderhallusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vanderhall-Edison-PressRelease-v1.pdf) Vanderhalls are front wheel drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWveqqMUY0&feature=youtu.be

ofdave
01-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Showing at CES this week. Not a competitor to the Spyder but will be to the Slingshot for those who want something more classy. The Vanderhall all electric Edison2 was brought out last November. More info here: https://electrek.co/2018/01/08/all-electric-vanderhall-motor-edison-three-wheeler/ and https://vanderhallusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vanderhall-Edison-PressRelease-v1.pdf
(https://vanderhallusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Vanderhall-Edison-PressRelease-v1.pdf) Vanderhalls are front wheel drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWveqqMUY0&feature=youtu.be

They sure look better than a Slingshot.
The gas engine ones have been out for a while. And at 30 to 50 thou., they aren't cheap.
Would be interesting to see what the front wheel drive is like.
The top of the line has AC. In an open cockpit, I wonder how that works?
A limited dealer network (27) for now. But that will likely change if they catch on.
https://vanderhallusa.com/

scooterexpress
01-09-2018, 07:04 AM
Have any of you seen the Sturgis reverse trike kit thats being installed on the Honda Goldwings? It's amazing how much they look like the Can Am Spyder!
The Sturgis website is not in English, but check out Gene's Gallery in Springfield,MO. to see pics and get info. It might be fun to visit Gene's while down at SpyderFest in May.
We're interested to see them and may trade the Spyder for one eventually, primarily because of Honda's track record for reliability which I'm not sure Can Am can beat.
We love our 2015 RT Limited, but have been discouraged this past riding season with our oil leak issues (which are hopefully fixed now, but will have to wait for Spring to be sure)

Check 'em out and let me know what y'all think!

when I was a vendor at last years Honda wing ding genes gallery was there with there trikes very nice looks similar to the spyder only downfall no storage you will definetly need a trailer for the wing its my understanding you still need to purchase a wing then take it in for the mod which by the way wasn't cheap so your looking at around 40k.

SXSMachine
01-09-2018, 06:58 PM

I dont understand your comment Chupaca, you lost all the benefits of two wheeling when you bought a planar suspension Spyder, anything else containing leaning that is effective is a move towards two wheeling?? :dontknow::dontknow:

SXSMachine
01-09-2018, 07:08 PM
While there might be a segment that would want a leaning 3 wheeler, count me out. The point of lean is finite, I mean that past some point the geometry will lock up and not go past that lean angle. Exceed that and bad things will happen. If I want a leaning bike, it's a two wheeler that I can drag a knee. The Spyder is for more sedate riding, and I've got both sides covered, with neither being a compromise.
You drag your hand like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTa6XLTLKY#

Also check out Pikes Peak run, do you ride your two wheels more agressively? Cant suggest you would on roads.
Things will only improve from there.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-09-2018, 07:23 PM
The Tilting Motor Works reverse trike conversion allows a Goldwing to lean as far as it does without the conversion.

BigGuy66
01-10-2018, 02:27 PM
And the Spyder isn't? My oldest daughter called it a dorky old man batmobile.

I read this and just laughed out loud!! I guess that I fit the first part of that description! But, I didn't know that my Spyder was as cool as the Batmobile...

gnorthern
01-11-2018, 01:47 AM
I read this and just laughed out loud!! I guess that I fit the first part of that description! But, I didn't know that my Spyder was as cool as the Batmobile...

Sorry, she was just saying old men would find it cool, which I do.

WilderThomas
01-11-2018, 03:31 AM

I think it would both interesting, and fun, to see Honda come out with a reverse trike to equal the Gold Wing. Some riders will always prefer the two wheel motorcycle and its cornering abilities, and some would probably like to see a "from the ground up" GW reverse trike.

wmh9680
04-20-2018, 05:00 AM
Just saw the Vanderhall Venice at the International
Marketplace on Waikiki and it Looks sharp. Anyone tried out one of these?

johnsimion
04-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Conceptually, it's cool, but the style on this Yamaha thing is just so damned ugly I have no interest in it. If I wanted a leaning 3-wheeler, there is a kit for Harleys or there's the Piaggio. Neither is beautiful like a Spyder but at least they don't make you gag to look at them.

Hawk1966
04-20-2018, 05:41 PM
https://paultan.org/2017/10/25/2018-yamaha-niken-leaning-multi-wheeler-lmw-revealed-three-wheels-double-forks-and-it-leans/2018-yamaha-niken-lmw-details-11/
Kickstand!
That whole front end is hideous. Don't know what they were thinking, can't see anyone falling in love with that thing.

WA5VHU
04-20-2018, 09:54 PM
That whole front end is hideous. Don't know what they were thinking, can't see anyone falling in love with that thing.

That's what everyone said about the Spyder F3 when it first came out! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

gkamer
04-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Looks like a Piaggio on steroids. :ohyea::ohyea:

Hawk1966
04-21-2018, 05:01 AM
That's what everyone said about the Spyder F3 when it first came out! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
I've loved the Spyder since I saw one driving down the road and had no idea what it was. That. . . thing, though, it looks cobbled together from street bike and scooter parts that were fed steroids.

Dray
04-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Have you seen the new Vanderhall 3 wheeler? Front wheel drive, turbo 4 cylinder @ 179 HP and a automatic.
Built in Utah and nice looking and one heck of a dash panel. +/- $30.000.00 and I want one.

Dray:yes::yes::yes::yes:

MR. H1956
04-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Having a bike that leans is nice. But if I want to lean I'll go back to a 2 wheeler so I can race the crouch rockets thru the twisties on the Tail Of The Dragon Ride Safe.Ride Often My Friends:riding: love my :spyder2:

wmh9680
04-26-2018, 01:20 AM
Have you seen the new Vanderhall 3 wheeler? Front wheel drive, turbo 4 cylinder @ 179 HP and a automatic.
Built in Utah and nice looking and one heck of a dash panel. +/- $30.000.00 and I want on

I just saw a Vanderhall Venice at the International Marketplace on Waikiki and sat it in. It was beautiful. Would love to take one for a ride but it sits too close to the ground for me to get in and out of on a daily basis. About the same price as a RT LIMITED. Mike

wmh9680
04-26-2018, 01:22 AM
Having a bike that leans is nice. But if I want to lean I'll go back to a 2 wheeler so I can race the crouch rockets thru the twisties on the Tail Of The Dragon Ride Safe.Ride Often My Friends:riding: love my :spyder2:

Has anyone ever rode a Spyder on the road to Hana on Maui?

SXSMachine
05-28-2018, 07:24 PM
Looks like she has a little poke and is going slightly faster than a Spyder but others can argue that out

https://www.facebook.com/TDAYRIDERS/videos/1672172859539969/?t=28

dndfindley
05-28-2018, 09:59 PM
I've loved the Spyder since I saw one driving down the road and had no idea what it was. That. . . thing, though, it looks cobbled together from street bike and scooter parts that were fed steroids.

Whether one likes the appearance or not is a subjective thing. However something that is not subjective is reliability and performance. The Yamaha Niken is based on the FJ-09 (for 2019 it is called the Tracer 900), one of Yamaha's best machines and one that will run rings around a Spyder and one that a person can take across the country without a worry in the world as to whether the Yamaha will make it or not.

Buckeye Chuck 54
05-28-2018, 10:45 PM
My vote too.
Chuck

Spyder still wins my vote

johnsimion
05-28-2018, 11:43 PM
Built in Utah and nice looking and one heck of a dash panel. +/- $30.000.00 and I want one.

The Vanderhall is pretty neat but like the Slingshot, it sits too low and IMHO would be dangerous in traffic - too low for these 4x4 pickups to even see. By comparison, the Spyder sits up high enough that I'm at eye level with them or nearly so. If not for that reason, I'd love to have a Morgan 3-wheeler because there is nothing more cool or pretty than one of those. But just too low and too dangerous.

jbim
05-29-2018, 07:31 AM
I looked at the Spyder for 10 years before buying mine this month. I think one of the reasons I waited is the fact that it doesn't lean and in my mind wasn't really a motorcycle. Now that I have one I really wonder why in the world would I want my Spyder to lean. It is amazing as it is and if it leaned it wouldn't be a Spyder.

I think a characteristic of the Spyder is its wide front wheels' track and it they were made to lean they would have to shorten it. That said, I find myself leaning in curves and turns when I want to take them aggressively. Maybe the idea would be to keep the fixed front wheels but somehow make a leaning cockpit not unlike some of the rides at the amusement parks.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Looks like she has a little poke and is going slightly faster than a Spyder but others can argue that out

https://www.facebook.com/TDAYRIDERS/videos/1672172859539969/?t=28
One of the reasons I hate Facebook. So often, like now, the link takes you to the mud hole where the gem is hidden, not to the gem itself!:banghead:

Leland
05-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Hello Spyder Riders,

I watched a video interview of a Yamaha rep talking about the positive attributes of the Yamaha Niken. These reason the bike was created was to increase the front end tire contact patch area. "By using 2 front wheels the contact patch area is doubled, increasing the grip by 80%." That is a quote from the video. Why an increase of only 80 percent is a mystery to me. He said they created the bike for the riders that have lost confidence in their riding skills. He went on to elaborate about the fact that braking in a turn is responsible for many accidents since turning and braking together often leads to a disaster.