PDA

View Full Version : Is a 'bomb cyclone' a real thing?

mxz600
01-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Good luck to all on the east coast. Not looking like a good day. Stay home and stay inside. Keep your pets safe and warm please. Animal deaths already in MI because of ignorant humans (more on this in another thread). I thought we were the intelligent species.

Sounds like a part of New England could be the center of a bomb cyclone. Hurricane strength wind gusts mixed with snow will produce major blizzard conditions.

At my house I have about 24" of snow on the ground. An additional 12" to 24" expected by Friday evening.

Bomb Cyclone explained.
http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2018/01/is_a_bomb_cyclone_a_real_thing.html#incart_river_i ndex

Bob Denman
01-04-2018, 10:23 AM
The Weather folks like to stir things up: don't they? :D
Somebody should tell them to look at a calendar sometime: it's Winter! :roflblack:

Orange Spyder Man
01-04-2018, 10:42 AM
We had about 3" of snow here in So Louisiana a week or so ago... (its a extremely rare event here) don't know about y'all but I have had all the :cus: .. GLOBAL WARMING .. I can stand...

mxz600
01-04-2018, 10:59 AM
don't know about y'all but I have had all the :cus: .. GLOBAL WARMING .. I can stand...

If you are serious, please don't confuse weather with climate.nojoke

Chupaca
01-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Hope it is not all they are saying it is....scary helps ratings...:banghead: but the weather does whatever it wants and we keep trying to outguess it....

blacklightning
01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Here is our little bit of that so called "Bomb Cyclone". We got about 1 1/2" of snow in the Cary/Apex area (Just outside of Raleigh, NC). That is what was expected here, but 20 minutes to my southeast, they got 5-6". They were actually supposed to get less than us.156802
This was our first snowfall of the year, but I hope more is to come. Been cold for the past 10 days, and should be below freezing for the next 2-3.

ARtraveler
01-04-2018, 04:17 PM
The weather explanation last night that the "bomb" word is used when the pressure drops at least 50 millibars in 24 hours. Obviously, a rare happening.

Bob Denman
01-04-2018, 05:55 PM
:shocked: That wind is REALLY howling outside right now...
It sounds about like a freight train with the throttle stuck wide open!nojoke

Sarge707
01-04-2018, 09:30 PM
In CT I Got 13 Inches and Will have to redue the driveway tomorrow because 6 inches got blown back on it overnight? But the summers are Great!

Raprider
01-05-2018, 07:45 AM
In central NJ I got about 5-6 inches yesterday and the wind is still howling a bit today...also 9 degrees less the wind-chill factor :yikes:
Guess I'm not picking up the ST any time soon...

OT...anyone ever try their ryde in snow...not necessarily anything deep, but road-coated? Jus' asking...would the Nanny shut 'er down for little or no rear-wheel traction?

Peter Aawen
01-05-2018, 08:43 AM
OT...anyone ever try their ryde in snow...not necessarily anything deep, but road-coated? Jus' asking...would the Nanny shut 'er down for little or no rear-wheel traction?

The nanny only really shuts things down in the snow if you get a lot of wheelspin or get really out of shape, so with care, not only is ryding in 'a little' snow certainly possible, but so is travelling quite some distances & even touring when most other chainless vehicles are basically imobilised, & it can even be a whole lotta fun too! :2thumbs: Not that we ever really get a heap of snow here Down Under, even in our 'Snowy Mountains'!! :p

Still, if you want to see how much fun it can be, just type 'Spyder in the snow youtube' into your browser's address bar, & if you pick out the Aussie vids to watch, who knows, you might even get to see me ryding my RT in the snow?!? :thumbup:

And returning to the extreme weather event that it looks like much of you lot are suffering over there, I do hope you are all safe & warm - what we are seeing on the news reports etc here of what's going on there certainly doesn't look like much fun at all!! Stay safe, & maybe wait for a bit nicer conditions before climbing aboard your Spyders!! We'd gladly send you a little off the top of our current 40+ deg C heat wave conditions if only we could! :shocked:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-05-2018, 10:15 AM
had one at dairy queen, had them put an extra cherry on it

ARtraveler
01-05-2018, 03:26 PM
In central NJ I got about 5-6 inches yesterday and the wind is still howling a bit today...also 9 degrees less the wind-chill factor :yikes:
Guess I'm not picking up the ST any time soon...

Yes. Mine would not work in about 3 inches. The front wheels plow the snow and cause the rear wheel to spin. Had to get help putting it back in the garage. The manual says "not" to ride the Spyder in the snow--so I don't anymore. :yes:

gkamer
01-06-2018, 06:47 PM
If you happen to live in New York. Being from Brooklyn, I can vouch that New Yorkers tend of over dramatize pretty much everything. Any place else it would have been referred to as a snow storm or maybe even a blizzard. The only reason they called it a cyclone instead of the correct term of hurricane is because cyclone sounds a lot worse. :roflblack::roflblack:

ARtraveler
01-06-2018, 06:53 PM
If you happen to live in New York. Being from Brooklyn, I can vouch that New Yorkers tend of over dramatize pretty much everything. Any place else it would have been referred to as a snow storm or maybe even a blizzard. The only reason they called it a cyclone instead of the correct term of hurricane is because cyclone sounds a lot worse. :roflblack::roflblack:

Cyclone is usually the Far Eastern term for the storm system--as in Japan, Phillipines, etc.

gkamer
01-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Cyclone is usually the Far Eastern term for the storm system--as in Japan, Phillipines, etc.

What they call a cyclone, we call a hurricane. But "bomb cyclone" sounds more menacing than bomb hurricane.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-08-2018, 08:05 AM

it's not new yorkers who call it that it is the weather reporters, you know those guys who when doing their job
are right 47% of the time if they are lucky.