PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal switch

cowwee
01-04-2018, 07:12 AM
Hiya all,

I have read a bit about people having the same issue I am having with these stupid switch for the turn signals. Even my previous crappy Hyosung had a nice positive center detent.
So I have a 2017 RT-S, and it's really annoying me that when changing lanes or doing a small turn, that it's really hard to turn off the signals.
I have put on some leds above the mirror on each side so its easier to see if they are still one.
But I suppose my question is, has anyone attempted to change the switch out for another one with a better detent???
I did install the tri axis bars, but didn't look at the makeup of the left side cluster to see if it is even possible?!!??
Thanks
Karl

JayBros
01-04-2018, 07:18 AM
If your switch has a poor or next to no detent on a '17 sounds to me like a warranty problem. Mine is fine and has been so for 35K miles. The fact that the turn indicators are difficult for some to see is an issue that a number of owners have shared on SL but isn't IMO a function of the switch.

ThreeWheels
01-04-2018, 08:04 AM
If your switch has a poor or next to no detent on a '17 sounds to me like a warranty problem. Mine is fine and has been so for 35K miles. The fact that the turn indicators are difficult for some to see is an issue that a number of owners have shared on SL but isn't IMO a function of the switch.

Absolutely agree.
My 2010 had the problem of the wandering turn signals until about 20K miles. I thought the switch had finally "worn in".
My 2014 is and has been fine right out of the box.
And yes, I share the turn signal arrow visibility problem and solved it with LEDs arrows at the mirrors.
You should be able to get your switch replaced under warranty, but be warned, with the current state of Can Am service, you may generate a bigger problem if some ape touches your machine

Highwayman2013
01-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Our 2012 was like that until I lubed the switch with WD-40.

Bob Denman
01-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Once you get the feel for what you're working with: it's really not a big deal... nojoke
Just make more of a conscious effort to push the button straight-in for cancelling signals. :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
01-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Have to agree with Bob! Once you know what you have to do it becomes something you don't even think about! Of course it helps whenever your wife is ryding a few yards behind you and says in your helmet comm unit; "Your blinker is still on".

Bob Denman
01-04-2018, 10:20 AM
:shocked: You've got one of them also?

She's my GPS, turnsignal indicator monitor, and worst of all: speedometer monitor! :banghead:

Pirate looks at --
01-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Yep Bob! But the fringe benefits are worth it! She keeps me alive! In more ways than one!;)

cowwee
01-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys.
I'll organise to get it checked under warranty.
It's not normal.... that's why I'm not just putting up with it and why I do find it is "a big deal"!! It has no detent, so its not possible to do a more conscious straight in push.
How did you spray the WD40? Just straight into the switch??
Thanks

johnsimion
01-04-2018, 04:19 PM
I have the same machine as the OP. It's actually quite easy to cancel, it's just kind of hard to tell they're cancelled without looking at the indicator light. I have made a nervous habit into something useful; my left thumb just keeps pressing "cancel" all the time and so my turn signals are always off unless I'm actually turning. And even if I forget to cancel them, it's not really that big a deal. They turn themselves off eventually anyway based on time, don't they? I seem to remember the dealer telling me this but I never really noticed because of my nervous habit.

ARtraveler
01-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Another card on the pile with Bob. Same issue over all five :spyder2:'s owned. I get it right now about 98% of the time.

JayBros
01-04-2018, 08:19 PM
To clarify my original response, I believe may be confusing terms. There is actually no detent in the switch but L and R directional options with a spring loaded center stop. When the spring is centered after a directional signal there is a third movement option, straight inward, that cancels the turn signal. I would not call that a detent because there is actually no stopping poing that the switch lever pops into.

Most important, to protect warranry coverage I would not squirt any kind of fluid into the switch. Let the dealer solve the problem.

Little Blue
01-04-2018, 11:55 PM
All Very Good Advice. Do NOT USE WD-40. Let the Dealer Fix if under warranty. MY2 :spyder:

cowwee
01-05-2018, 12:06 AM
Hehe.
I've contacted the dealer to get them to fix it. I also have the cruise switch is really hard when pushing it up to increase or resume.
I'm away from the bike for another 7 weeks for work, so it is a perfect time foe them to fix it!
Cheers

Bfromla
01-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Absolutely agree.
My 2010 had the problem of the wandering turn signals until about 20K miles. I thought the switch had finally "worn in".
My 2014 is and has been fine right out of the box.
And yes, I share the turn signal arrow visibility problem and solved it with LEDs arrows at the mirrors.

:shocked: Doesn't that just create BIGGER blind spots on your mirrors? I was gonna do same to my ST & there was just not enough mirror face to play with:barf: happily got the fender lights from TricLed & much better results. :firstplace:
Not to hijack thread tho, the switch can be cleaned if you wanna take housing apart & spray with electrical contact cleaner not WD-40. (Wont take much & made to evaporate dry) but that is bit envolved & towards the last ditch efforts. Try adjusting your operation of the switch, commonly most ppl (me included)end up switching blinker on the opposite side before actually cancelling either out, & or keeping it depressed to center position & tap again if need be. :lecturef_smilie:

Glad to see the large number of ppl reporting they use their blinkers :clap::clap::yes:

ThreeWheels
01-05-2018, 05:37 AM
:shocked: Doesn't that just create BIGGER blind spots on your mirrors? I was gonna do same to my ST & there was just not enough mirror face to play with:barf: happily got the fender lights from TricLed & much better results. :firstplace:

Not in my opinion. I'm glad you found a solution you like better.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154663&d=1508112648

UtahPete
01-05-2018, 03:50 PM
To clarify my original response, I believe may be confusing terms. There is actually no detent in the switch but L and R directional options with a spring loaded center stop. When the spring is centered after a directional signal there is a third movement option, straight inward, that cancels the turn signal. I would not call that a detent because there is actually no stopping poing that the switch lever pops into.
:agree:

Peteoz
01-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys.
I'll organise to get it checked under warranty.
It's not normal.... that's why I'm not just putting up with it and why I do find it is "a big deal"!! It has no detent, so its not possible to do a more conscious straight in push.
How did you spray the WD40? Just straight into the switch??
Thanks

I think you’ll find it IS normal, Karl. It bothered me for some 3 months as I could never tell if I had cancelled the indicator or turned the other indicator on. I installed the Tricled turn signal indicators on my mirrors to let me know when I was cancelling correctly, and within a month I was performing a conscious straight in push. I don’t believe your dealer will be able to fix this issue whether looking at it under warranty or T&M as the way your switch is working now is simply the way it is built to work.

Pete

Bob Denman
01-05-2018, 06:10 PM
:agree: Once you get the hang of it: you'll wonder how you ever managed to have any trouble... :thumbup: