PDA

View Full Version : RLS Exhaust

tehrlich
01-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Has anyone tried an RLS Exhaust?

I looked at as many aftermarket exhausts that I could find. Was drooling over the Tailgunner, but that price will be for another day. I found RLS and bought two versions. They've been shipped, and I'll install this weekend hopefully. Give them a whirl, and will sell the one I don't use. Both ceramic coated. About $450 each. Made in Texas.

Twin Kaos:

Torpedo:

hypurone
01-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Cool! I am waiting for his cat pipe to be ready! It will have a resonator in it which should give a deeper/mellower tone plus some back pressure without having to use a baffle insert...

Please let me know the quality of the materials and the Ceramic Coating (especially after it has seen some serious heat like after a hard run). I want mine with the Black Ceramic Coat as well....

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-03-2018, 07:06 PM
That exhaust is absolutely incredible and best of all it's made in Texas :clap::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:...... Mike :thumbup:

Kredab
01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
I have !!! I have the punisher series on my RT .....I LOVE IT

I called Ricky(owner) and told him I wanted a rumble at idle , but not obnoxiously loud going down the road . He said this is the one I need. Got it , love at first sound, don't have a lot of miles on it yet ( snow in Iowa), but I love the way it sounds when it downshifts.

I know RLS EXhaust is trying to get in the Spyder world, so head to his website and check it out.
RLsexhaust.com

Quality is great , great customer service, great sound
:spyder2::spyder2:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://81acf196-576e-4195-bcd1-c2ee61dc4b82/imagejpegEme

scooterexpress
01-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Has anyone tried an RLS Exhaust?

I looked at as many aftermarket exhausts that I could find. Was drooling over the Tailgunner, but that price will be for another day. I found RLS and bought two versions. They've been shipped, and I'll install this weekend hopefully. Give them a whirl, and will sell the one I don't use. Both ceramic coated. About $450 each. Made in Texas.

Twin Kaos:

Torpedo:

i'll let you have my tail gunner for 150.00 it's the widow maker model come on up to ft.worth to p.u. if your interested email me at jbooth9619@att.net

tehrlich
01-04-2018, 06:23 PM
That exhaust is absolutely incredible and best of all it's made in Texas :clap::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:...... Mike :thumbup:

I'll push a lot of pressure through them. LOL:roflblack: JOKING!!!

tehrlich
01-04-2018, 06:24 PM
I have !!! I have the punisher series on my RT .....I LOVE IT

I called Ricky(owner) and told him I wanted a rumble at idle , but not obnoxiously loud going down the road . He said this is the one I need. Got it , love at first sound, don't have a lot of miles on it yet ( snow in Iowa), but I love the way it sounds when it downshifts.

I know RLS EXhaust is trying to get in the Spyder world, so head to his website and check it out.
RLsexhaust.com

Quality is great , great customer service, great sound

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://81acf196-576e-4195-bcd1-c2ee61dc4b82/imagejpegEme

Yes, seems like a nice guy. Only communicated through email. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the input.

Kredab
01-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Yes, seems like a nice guy. Only communicated through email. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the input.

I really like the way mine sounds, he also has a couple items in the works that are going to be amazing

tehrlich, Are you going to be at SpyderFest ? I would like to hear the way yours sound also, I will be there at least Friday,Saturday,Sunday.

Maybe we can hook up at some point, post pic when you have them on...

tehrlich
01-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Installed one of the RLS exhausts that I bought. It sounds GREAT but it is ridiculously loud. Very loud. Realy really loud.

My Spyder does not have the secondary muffler. It has the cat bypass pipe. This is the problem, I'm guessing.

I really like these exhausts. The build quality is great. They look great! They weigh a LOT less. Heck, both of them weigh less than the stock! I can't believe how much that thing weighs.

I put the stock exhaust back on with the cat delete. Sounds good, not great, but tolerable. I can ride through the neighborhood.

So, my question is: do you think it is worth while putting the secondary muffler back in place and try one of these again?

oldgoat
01-09-2018, 05:47 PM
This was on their website for the "Punisher" model for 2008 - 2012 models

"These custom-made exhausts are slim, sleek, and VERY loud"

hypurone
01-09-2018, 06:13 PM
So, my question is: do you think it is worth while putting the secondary muffler back in place and try one of these again?

If you have all the components still, then why not? It would be worthwhile to see if it has "just the right sound" you are looking for. As for performance, it will be stronger down low and into the midrange due to recovering some back-pressure with the primary muffler/cat unit, then you might lose a little bit on the top end but I doubt you would even feel it.

tehrlich
01-09-2018, 09:23 PM
This was on their website for the "Punisher" model for 2008 - 2012 models

"These custom-made exhausts are slim, sleek, and VERY loud"

Yes, but I didn't buy that one. I bought the two other versions that implied it wasn't that was louder, but "not extreme."

This all stainless steel exhaust made to fit your stock Catalytic converter

These custom-made exhausts are slim, sleek, and make the bike rumble They are louder but not extreme
this exhaust does not eliminate the catalytic converter
Use your factory Clamp to reinstall

tehrlich
01-09-2018, 09:28 PM
If you have all the components still, then why not? It would be worthwhile to see if it has "just the right sound" you are looking for. As for performance, it will be stronger down low and into the midrange due to recovering some back-pressure with the primary muffler/cat unit, then you might lose a little bit on the top end but I doubt you would even feel it.
Agreed, but I really am not motivated to tackle that one spring that is so difficult to attach! :)

Plus, that muffler weighs a LOT. putting that weight back on is not appealing.

I'm confused on terms now. Is the cat/muffler the Primary or Secondary muffler? I've called it the secondary exhaust.

Kredab
01-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Agreed, but I really am not motivated to tackle that one spring that is so difficult to attach! :)

Plus, that muffler weighs a LOT. putting that weight back on is not appealing.

I'm confused on terms now. Is the cat/muffler the Primary or Secondary muffler? I've called it the secondary exhaust.

That's a good question, I looked it up on the parts diagram, the cat is listed as the "primary muffler".
I have the punisher RLS exhaust on mine with the (75 lbs)"primary muffler still on it, it has a nice rumble but sounds good at highway speeds

I know RLS EXHAUST is working on a replacement for the primary muffler(cat) that has a resonator built in to mellow the sound, he has told me they are in the testing phase, so there are Spyders running around with this new design.

Sweetwater
01-10-2018, 09:09 AM
I did the muffler/cat/delete pipe shuffle about 20 times until I decided to weld a small flowmaster (10 I believe) into the delete pipe. With the voodoo exhaust its perfect to me. Loud, but not ridiculous. With the delete pipe alone, the voodoo made my ears bleed.

WRTFLYR
01-10-2018, 09:59 AM
If you didn’t install a baffle in the cat delete pipe, Lamonster has one that fits and tones everything down a bit plus gives you a little back pressure which enhances performance! It’s an easy install!:popcorn:

tehrlich
01-10-2018, 08:20 PM
I did the muffler/cat/delete pipe shuffle about 20 times until I decided to weld a small flowmaster (10 I believe) into the delete pipe. With the voodoo exhaust its perfect to me. Loud, but not ridiculous. With the delete pipe alone, the voodoo made my ears bleed.
Please explain.. :)

tehrlich
01-10-2018, 08:22 PM
If you didn’t install a baffle in the cat delete pipe, Lamonster has one that fits and tones everything down a bit plus gives you a little back pressure which enhances performance! It’s an easy install!:popcorn:
Yes, I have the "Big City" baffle, or whatever it is called.

My hunch is that the CAT (primary muffler !) needs to go back on and then retry.

Sweetwater
01-10-2018, 10:04 PM
What I’m saying about the pipe is I bought a flow master 10 muffler with an offset intake... cut out a section of the delete pipe that the muffler fit in, and welded the delete pipe ends back onto the muffler. Took some time to make a jig so it would all line up but it was easy and slipped right back in place. I LOVE it

hypurone
01-11-2018, 07:23 PM
What I’m saying about the pipe is I bought a flow master 10 muffler with an offset intake... cut out a section of the delete pipe that the muffler fit in, and welded the delete pipe ends back onto the muffler. Took some time to make a jig so it would all line up but it was easy and slipped right back in place. I LOVE it

Please explain.. :)

This is what I was referring to in my post above. Ricky is coming out with a unit that has a resonator/mini muffler in it. He said around the end of January but when I last talked with him, his supplier(s) for a component(s) is dragging their a$$!

tehrlich
01-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Made myself take all the exhaust off today. Put the primary muffler back on (cat,) and tried the RLS Twin Kaos exhaust again with it.

Ok... now it is a LOT better. Sounds awesome, and isn't too loud at a stop and idling. Very nice low tone rumble. Had to get my wife to approve. She didn't give it a second thought and went back inside. If it was too loud, she would've said so, right there!

Took it for a spin for about 20 miles... windy roads and highways.... slight crackle on deceleration.... a lot louder than my cat delete / stock exhaust combination, especially at 3500-4500 rpms.

I came to the realization that it is just too loud for me. I like to listen to talk radio and music with my Sena 20 and it was difficult with the decibel levels of this on the highway. I think if I was just doing short jaunts here and there and little highway, this could work.

Came home. Put the stock muffler back on with the stock primary muffler still in place. Took it for a spin on the same route. Yikes! I kind of liked how quiet it was! I've used the cat delete / stock muffler combination for about 18K miles and like it, but going back to full stock made the highway experience like glass.

Obviously, I don't know what I want! LOL. But, always fun trying. Might go with the Akropovic....

DGoebel
01-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Todd, I ride with a buddy with the stock cat/muffler and Akrapovic and he can and does listen to his factory radio and his bike does sound much better than my stock on stock '13.
If RLS does make one that's a bit quieter I'll look there, I think they were at Spyders in the Ozarks and though they showed several combinations, my wife said no, too loud.
It's tough to find that just right note....

tehrlich
01-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Todd, I ride with a buddy with the stock cat/muffler and Akrapovic and he can and does listen to his factory radio and his bike does sound much better than my stock on stock '13.
If RLS does make one that's a bit quieter I'll look there, I think they were at Spyders in the Ozarks and though they showed several combinations, my wife said no, too loud.
It's tough to find that just right note....

Thanks!

The good things about going through all of these switcheroos are:
1. I got a lot faster about switching them out. Using a spring hook is mandatory!
2. Definitely have a better feel for the engine response for the different back pressures.
3. Discovered that the phrase is now applying to me: "If it is too loud, you're too old!"

dlsmith
01-13-2018, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=tehrlich;1326857]Has anyone tried an RLS Exhaust?

Twin Kaos: Some GOS have said good things about the ones they have had installed. RLS Exhaust will be a vendor at the Texas Spyders in the Hills rally Oct. 18-20, 2018. www.spydersinthehills.com (http://www.spydersinthehills.com)

Torpedo:

Flamewinger
04-10-2018, 10:46 PM
Just installed their new Cat delete and I love the low rumble. Sounds louder on an F3 but on my RT it's just right. I'm keeping the OEM muffler as I don't see a dark Akrapovic version for my All Dark RT. Not loud at all just a nice rumble. My friend used paracord hooked to the springs and through a part of the frame or muffler bend to pull the springs loose or hook them back. (My friend has a full car lift so it was quite easy.

Kredab
04-11-2018, 05:26 AM
Just installed their new Cat delete and I love the low rumble. Sounds louder on an F3 but on my RT it's just right. I'm keeping the OEM muffler as I don't see a dark Akrapovic version for my All Dark RT. Not loud at all just a nice rumble. My friend used paracord hooked to the springs and through a part of the frame or muffler bend to pull the springs loose or hook them back. (My friend has a full car lift so it was quite easy.

I know you lose a lot on video as far as sound quality but could you post a video of the RT ? I already heard the F3 one......I have an RLS EXHAUST muffler , I'm thinking about the cat delete pipe purchase....Thanks

Flamewinger
04-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Ok, I made a video of my RT. I believe the sound is more noticeable on the F3s because of their different engine tuning?

https://youtu.be/Qzjp40XYgpU

hypurone
04-11-2018, 08:37 PM
I believe the sound is more noticeable on the F3s because of their different engine tuning?

It's primarily due to the shorter length exhaust on the F3's. The pipe and muffler from where it comes out from under the byke are much longer on the RT..... I'm ok with mine that has a honeycomb baffle in the inlet of the RLS pipe but just for kicks I'm adding the QQ baffle in the inlet of my Akra muffler to see how it sounds...