PDA

View Full Version : Got rear-ended in my truck. Glad I was not on my Spyder

SpyderSkeets
12-31-2017, 05:46 AM
On Friday evening, about 5:30 pm, I was rear-ended by a drink driver while I was stopped at a red light. Luckily, I was in my truck and not on my Spyder. The bumper on my full-size pick-up is destroyed. I hate to think what would have happened if I were on my Spyder, because if it were not for the cold, I would have been at the same spot at the same time on my Spyder.

papanorm
12-31-2017, 07:37 AM
Hate to hear that, hopefully the drunk learned his lesson. One can only imagine the Spyder being involved instead of the truck. Glad you’re okay!

SpyderSkeets
12-31-2017, 08:25 AM
Hate to hear that, hopefully the drunk learned his lesson. One can only imagine the Spyder being involved instead of the truck. Glad you’re okay!

Thanks. I doubt he learned his lesson though. After he rear-ended me, I pulled off to the side of the road and he took off! I caught up to him, flashing my high beams and hitting my horn for him to pull over, and he would not pull over. I called 911 while I was following him for about 6 miles. When the cop finally caught up to us, he pulled over, but when the cop was walking up to the guy's truck, he sped off! The cop then ran back to her SUV and chased him! He crashed his truck and was arrested. The officer taking my statement told me he was well known to them.

Don'tPanic
12-31-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm glad you were protected by all that steel.

Be safe!

SteveP
12-31-2017, 09:19 AM
Looks almost identical ( damage ) as my Dodge Ram last year when a 17 kid rear ended me texting near my house . The impact to cause that damage is much more severe than most people would think . In my case the kid stayed there and his father showed up and eventually paid the repairs ....$3500. I had a bit of a stiff neck for a few days and then like you mentioned I started to think " what if that were summer ... I was on my Spyder ... and my wife was on the back " ? 3 lives would have changed in a bad way that day . Glad you are ok 👌

JayBros
12-31-2017, 10:56 AM
...The officer taking my statement told me he was well known to them.

Yeah, and if he's a habitual DD the only thing that will keep him off the road is hard time -- which he probably won't get, unless he kills someone.

Chupaca
12-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Glad your alright and the damage is not to bad....Interesting that the police know about this guy and he is still out there...:yikes: may be time to lock him up.....:lecturef_smilie:

SpyderSkeets
12-31-2017, 11:43 AM
Glad your alright and the damage is not to bad....Interesting that the police know about this guy and he is still out there...:yikes: may be time to lock him up.....:lecturef_smilie:

Thanks. It's a pretty heavy duty bumper and it's damaged enough that I wouldn't have wanted to be on my Spyder. I'm thinking he should get, at the very least, evading arrest, DUI, leaving the scene of an accident and/or hit and run.

CA Railwhale
12-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Yeah, and if he's a habitual DD the only thing that will keep him off the road is hard time -- which he probably won't get, unless he kills someone.

In California, he'd do hard time for this one. On top of the DUI, he would be facing Felony Evading and Hit and Run plus as a multiple DUI offender, his license would be toast. In CA, the arresting officer seizes your license on the spot and issues you a temporary one good for only 30 days. If you don't appeal the suspension or are convicted, your license is suspended for four months for a first offense, and a year each for any subsequent offenses within ten years. This is automatic and totally separate from any court ordered suspensions or penalties.

UtahPete
12-31-2017, 12:35 PM
On Friday evening, about 5:30 pm, I was rear-ended by a drink driver while I was stopped at a red light. Luckily, I was in my truck and not on my Spyder. The bumper on my full-size pick-up is destroyed. I hate to think what would have happened if I were on my Spyder, because if it were not for the cold, I would have been at the same spot at the same time on my Spyder.
Glad you're okay. That bumper did its job, it looks like!

UtahPete
12-31-2017, 12:39 PM
I haven't heard of one instance where a drunk 'learned his / her lesson'. Usually they keep drinking and driving until someone is dead.

ARtraveler
12-31-2017, 05:44 PM
Glad to hear you dodged a bullet. The "drunk" story is sadly, very usual. They don't learn. They do not deserve a break. Including the dear little old lady here who was on her 7th DUI, out of jail, on an ankle monitor, and not supposed to drive. She totaled another car and sent the driver to the hospital with lasting injuries. Well, she is back in jail for now. They tried to blame that one on the hairdresser, who knowingly let her drive from the shop. The lawyers make out like bandits. Makes me just want to http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/barf.gif (javascript:void(0)) :gaah: :gaah:

nslowmotion
12-31-2017, 06:22 PM
makes you want to just beat the dog sh*t out of them

RinconRyder
12-31-2017, 11:36 PM
Get in the habit of looking in your mirrors every time you slow or come to a stop and leave enough room from the vehicle in front of you to get out of the way.

d.o.spyder-rts
01-01-2018, 12:40 AM
Glad to hear your ok and weren't on your spyder!! He should definitely get a lot of jail time. Dale

SpyderSkeets
01-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Thanks folks

PrairieSpyder
01-01-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm glad you're OK and so is your Spyder!

I guess that guy started his New Year partying early!