PDA

View Full Version : Touring ?

Fire34
12-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Thinking of doing the Blue Ridge this spring. Those of you that pull a trailer do you pull it behind you the whole trip? Our last local trip we were able to lock it up a the resort. I know I sort of answered my own question, but just wondering what others do. thanks guys

Dave

WA5VHU
12-29-2017, 09:29 AM
This last summer we spent one week camping at the US Stony Fork campground near Wytheville, VA. From there we rode every day, the routes are shown on the map. Of course we left the camper trailer in the campground each day and I also left my little one-wheeled trailer in camp, only towed it from home to the campground and back. I had a cable lock and put my little trailer mostly out of sight behind the camper and ran the cable lock through the camper wheels and then through the little trailer. We had no problems.

We had a blast, hope you do too!

easysuper
12-29-2017, 09:31 AM
If we are camping we just leave the trailer set up and if it looks a little sketchy we run a cable to a picnic table. If we are at a resort or hotel I will run the cable through the wheel and lock it to something heavy. We are usually pulling two trailers and sometimes we cable them together.

Chupaca
12-29-2017, 10:40 AM
It is more relaxing and fun to do your rydes without towing your trailer. If you have the place to secure it that would be the way to go. Depending on your trailer most tow well and you could ryde with it just a bit slower and sight seeing and parking is a bit tougher....:thumbup:

JayD
12-29-2017, 10:52 AM
I ran the Blue Ridge a couple of years ago and pulled my trailer the entire distance. No problems.

pegasus1300
12-29-2017, 12:36 PM
I am sure you would have no problems pulling your trailer the entire time,but if you are going to end the day where you started,why would you? Many times the Motel will keep an eye on it for you if you park it where they can see it. Or chain it to a post, or do something else to make it hard to walk away with. Most thieves are lazy and if they have to do much work they will move on to easier prey.

ARtraveler
12-29-2017, 03:34 PM
Base camp, toggle the trailers up, and ride. Much more fun if you can get a centrally located base camp. It's all about the logistics for the base camp. :yes:

frigmall
12-29-2017, 05:11 PM
I would think if you were going to have a base camp you would secure the trailer there. You will have just that much less to worry about.
We are going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway in July. Coming from St. Louis, Mo. We will be riding there via Nashville and enter on the south end around Cherokee, NC and exit on the Virginia end.
We will spend a couple of days riding around NC and a couple of days on the Parkway. Then back to St. Louis via Bardstown KY. Can't wait!

blacklightning
12-29-2017, 06:39 PM
I have been on the BRP many times, but finally got a chance to drive the entire thing from Cherokee all the way through NC and into Va.. Once we got to the end, we also did the 110 miles of Skyline drive in Virginia. You should not have a problem with a trailer unless you are riding it in October. The only reason I say that is because that is leaf season and some of the pull offs may be crowded and a trailer can make turning around and parking a little more difficult.
BTW, The best parts of the BRP are from Boone and south towards Cherokee. Enjoy and have fun.

SpyderAnn01
12-29-2017, 09:35 PM
I know you are going to the BRP and this doesn’t pertain there, but some state and National Parks don’t allow you to pull trailers in them. Mesa Verde National Park and Pikes Peak are two that come to mind. So always be sure to have a way to lock the trailer if you have to leave it.

hawkiii
12-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Ann, we run a heavy cable and lock through the wheel and run it around the suspension and we always leave the hitch pin locked. We try to get a parking spot next to our room so we can keep an eye on it.

Bfromla
12-30-2017, 04:48 AM
Base camp, toggle the trailers up, and ride. Much more fun if you can get a centrally located base camp. It's all about the logistics for the base camp. :yes:
Not to mention better gas mileage & ease of maneuverability if & when you find a good pulloff to look at the beautiful sight or a good restaurant to try out. :p

blacklightning
12-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Not to mention better gas mileage & ease of maneuverability if & when you find a good pulloff to look at the beautiful sight or a good restaurant to try out. :p
:agree:This is the main thing. You don't want to be having to pull a trailer and maneuver it into a small space. Little Switzerland comes to mind (right on 226A, also known as the Diamondback). They have a pretty nice resturaunt and a couple of shops there that are worth stopping at. But, there is almost always trouble parking if you are on anything bigger than the spyder. Parking the spyder and trailer would be difficult.

JayD
12-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Thinking of doing the Blue Ridge this spring. Those of you that pull a trailer do you pull it behind you the whole trip? Our last local trip we were able to lock it up a the resort. I know I sort of answered my own question, but just wondering what others do. thanks guys

Dave

What do you mean "doing the Blue Ridge"? Short day trips? Entire Parkway? When I pull my trailer I do not notice it being me nor have I had a problem finding a place to park. Unless I am only doing day trips I always pull the trailer.

Road-Kill
12-30-2017, 10:02 AM

Dave

My last trip had a buddy UPS his and his wife's stuff to the hotel we stayed at.
After we were done he called UPS and had them pick up their stuff at the hotel after we departed....too easy.
If you have a lot of crap and have a set destination......UPS it.

JayD
12-30-2017, 10:09 AM
My last trip had a buddy UPS his and his wife's stuff to the hotel we stayed at.
After we were done he called UPS and had them pick up their stuff at the hotel after we departed....too easy.

I like this idea. Will have to try it next summer.

sandeejs
12-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Last time I tried tent camping, we did the same: after 1 night, packed up tents, and UPS delivered 'em home while we stayed in hotels.
~Sandee~

Fire34
12-30-2017, 12:15 PM
What do you mean "doing the Blue Ridge"? Short day trips? Entire Parkway? When I pull my trailer I do not notice it being me nor have I had a problem finding a place to park. Unless I am only doing day trips I always pull the trailer.

I believe we would do the whole thing have not decide yet. Looking to go this spring during the dogwood blooms, Might do Natchez Trace just dont know yet. :sour:

Dave

Road-Kill
12-30-2017, 12:20 PM
I like this idea. Will have to try it next summer.

Last time I tried tent camping, we did the same: after 1 night, packed up tents, and UPS delivered 'em home while we stayed in hotels.
~Sandee~

The best part of using UPS is you can tell them when to deliver it and don't have to be there when they pick it up.

I also tried camping on an MC trip.
It was wonderful....till it rained out, then we ran to the check in station and rented a cabin....lol

ARtraveler
12-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Lots of good ideas surfacing here. :bowdown::bowdown: :firstplace::firstplace:

rhauk
12-30-2017, 04:00 PM

Rode Skyline from Gettysburg and on BRP in SW corner of N Carolina on RT - SE5 with one passenger and no trailer....beautiful scenery on a road with many, many sharp corners and multiple grades.....max posted speed is 45MPH....always going thru the gears and rolling throttle trying to maintain adequate speed to avoid lugging the engine...pulling a trailer would make more work and lower the MPG...avoiding the extra pulling weight will make it more enjoyable.