PDA

View Full Version : oil filter door

mike1952
12-28-2017, 09:35 AM
you would think someone would make a door for the oil filter so you dont have to take off all those parts .make it look like a fuel door.

Highwayman2013
12-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Depends what model you have.

Bob Denman
12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
:agree: There's no mention of your bike anywhere. :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-28-2017, 10:05 AM
you would think someone would make a door for the oil filter so you dont have to take off all those parts .make it look like a fuel door.
Funny that you ask this question ..... I recently did my yearly Oil Filter change annnnnnnnnnnnnd I cut a hole in the panel between the filter cap and the outside finish panel ( the one you can see ) So now I only have to remove one panel to get to the filter...... The problem with a Door on the Finish panel is ....it would have to be very large ...... in the panel I cut, I had to make it quite large to get the filter out .... it's angled and somewhat under some plastic frame pieces I didn't want to cut .... So you can take my word for this or see if you can come up with a better way .............annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Happy New Year ........ Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
12-28-2017, 11:54 AM
I can tell by the discussion that all the above posts relate to the older design RT. The body was designed for the 998 that was originally under it.

The F3 does not require the removal of any body panels to remove the filter although removal of one panel does make the job easier.

robhowen
12-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Mike, please post a photo of your panel with the cutout. I'd seriously considered doing the same thing myself. I'd love to learn from your experience by seeing your cutout.

Rob

in the panel it cut, I had to make it quite large to get the filter out .... it's angled and somewhat under some plastic frame pieces I didn't want to cut .... So you can take my word for this or see if you can come up with a better way Mike :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
12-28-2017, 12:01 PM
I don't think it's that hard to take a few panels off. You get to see what's going on under there.

ofdave
12-28-2017, 12:43 PM
maybe this would get more valid and helpful comments if it were in the "RT Shop Talk" section?
then all the questions about what bike would not be necessary

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-28-2017, 01:10 PM
maybe this would get more valid and helpful comments if it were in the "RT Shop Talk" section?
then all the questions about what bike would not be necessary Actually I think the larger problem is ......... most folks here DON"T read what has already been posted !!!! ....... READ post # 4......... your welcome .... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Mike, please post a photo of your panel with the cutout. I'd seriously considered doing the same thing myself. I'd love to learn from your experience by seeing your cutout.

Rob
Rob I'm ONLY partially .... FIXED - with the posting pics thing :banghead::banghead: ..... But if you PM me a phone number I can send them to you ...... Then if you know how to move it from your phone to this Thread you can do that for others who might be interested .......annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd ....Happy New Year ...... Mike :thumbup:

ofdave
12-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Actually I think the larger problem is ......... most folks here DON"T read what has already been posted !!!! ....... READ post # 4......... your welcome .... Mike :thumbup:

you hit the nail on the head, sometimes I see the same or similar answers 2 or 3 three times in a thread for the reason you mentioned
But I also see that when I correspond to people in writing. If I ask 4 questions the response I get usually is to 2. The other 2 must get lost:dontknow:
I wonder if ADHD is even more widespread than we realize? Or are we just becoming lazy?

JayBros
12-28-2017, 02:59 PM
I don't think it's that hard to take a few panels off. You get to see what's going on under there.

+1! If you happen to have a 2014 or later RT this video is an excellent tutorial on how to remove the mirrors and get to the oil filter. It's a piece of cake after you've done it once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPeb1YqV4Gw&feature=youtu.be