PDA

View Full Version : Riding with vest and where to get BRP Jacket armor?

Y-me
12-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone here ride using an armored vest instead of a full jacket in the heat?
Any recommendations as to marque/model?

Also, Have a NOS BRP Cruse jacket model number 4406061409 that needs armor.

Did not see anything about the pads on BRP's website.
Where does one get the pads for this jacket?

Thanks,
Y

Pirate looks at --
12-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Don't use the armored vest as in California where our heat is a dry heat, I am cooler with a Jacket when it is 100 degrees out than I would be in a vest. ( I know it's science but it is true ) As for the armor you should be able to order that through your dealer. I have that same jacket and we ordered it from the dealer.

GOZFST
12-28-2017, 10:41 AM
The sun and wind effect on your skin is much harder on staying cool than wearing a jacket, plus the areas damaged n a crash are usually elbows, shoulders, the things vests don't cover. Get a good quality fitting summer jacket. I wear and highly recommend Motoport.
http://www.motoport.com/

nhoj
12-28-2017, 12:55 PM
... Did not see anything about the pads on BRP's website.

Thanks,
Y

They still sell the armor separately. In the 2018 accessories catalogue its in the section just after footwear and just before gloves. Page 29.

REMOVABLE BACK PROTECTOR
· High shock absorbing performance.
· Maximal comfort.
· Can be inserted in most Can-Am Spyder jacket
inside pouches for extra protection.
Viscoelastic Polyurethane Foam
447321 · S, L, XL · Black (90)

REMOVABLE ELBOW, KNEE
OR SHOULDER PROTECTORS
· Same protectors for elbow, knee or shoulder.
· Can be inserted in most Can-Am Spyder riding gear
inside pouches for extra protection.
· Sold in pairs.
Viscoelastic Polyurethane Foam
Men’s
447313 · One size
Black (90)
Ladies’
447322 · One size
Black (90)

pegasus1300
12-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone here ride using an armored vest instead of a full jacket in the heat?

Thanks,
Y

If you are worried about staying cool,get one of the many cool vests out there. They fit under your jacket and use water evaporation to cool you down. Mine needs to be reloaded about every 2-2.5 hours but I am ready to stop for gas and potty by then anyway.

https://www.revzilla.com › Riding Gear › Jackets & Vests

Motorcycledave
12-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Hi
Many folks ride with an armored vest in summer, I used to until I got run down
by a drunk driver, now I ride in the summer with a vented mesh jacket with armor
and the rest of the time I use an armored jacket not mesh.
you can buy all the armor for any vest and/or jackets at Cycle Gear
Ride Safe ( watch out for drunks)
Dave

Hi all,

Thanks,
Y

ARtraveler
12-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Jackets will give a bit more protection than a vest. Its always the uncovered parts that get hurt.

There are some good mesh jackets out there. Padding is optional for me. :thumbup:

asp125
12-28-2017, 10:37 PM
I have one of these, of course I only use it on the dirt bike. It's basically thin mesh with external plastic roost protectors etc. Works great in the heat, and doubles as a post apocalyptic road warrior costume for halloween.
https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0019/4840/Fox_Racing_Titan_Sport_Jacket.jpg

Y-me
12-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies and all of the advice.
I have a Cortech Piuma for up to 90 degree riding.
It is a nice perf. leather/Cordura in-between jacket that gives you something to slide on and has armor when something bad happens but at 90 and up it gets kind of hot especially when sitting at a light.

When it is real hot, over 90 and humid I have a meshie jacket from Speed and Strength which has Cordura and armor to slide on.
Armored vests seem to be a up and coming thing as there seemed to be a lot of sport bike and cruiser riders wearing them last Summer.
Though I can see how you shoulders and elbows would take a beating in a spill.
The think was that the vest could be easier to stow when out all day but it sounds like it would make better sense to continue to stow the meshie.

Thanks,
Y