PDA

View Full Version : Harley-Davidson Looking To Train New Riders

Bob Denman
12-27-2017, 06:22 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/27/as-sales-drop-harley-davidson-wants-to-teach-more-to-ride.html

It's actually not a bad idea. If you teach them: they'll soon be buying your product! :thumbup:

Hey BRP: are you listening?? :shocked:

johnsimion
12-27-2017, 06:45 PM
A few months ago before I traded my motorcycle for the Can-Am, I went through the advanced course at the local H-D dealer. They are practically the only game in town here. It was kind of awkward because I had the only NON-Harley bike in the class as well as the only one with hi-viz helmet and jacket.

ofdave
12-27-2017, 06:52 PM
I think it's a great idea.
HD recognizes that motorcycle sales are slowing (not just theirs).
They have been hard hit by the reduced acceptance of motorcycles by many younger people and are doing what they can to build new interest in motorcycling. Yes, it's self-serving but so what.
Imagine if Honda, Yamaha, & Suzuki developed a shared training program. And BMW, Ducati, Aprilia, MotoGuzzi (and others from Europe) did the same. We may well see a resurgence in riding.
I applaud their thinking. Let's please not turn this into a Harley bashing thread.

ARtraveler
12-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Interesting concept. Much easier for HD to do than BRP though. The HD dealers outnumber the :spyder2: dealers considerably.

Unless someone is going to become a buyer, I don't see them training on something that is different. There is a possibility they might get a few people that are terrified of two wheels.

Chupaca
12-27-2017, 09:38 PM
One thing to train them and another to get them to spend that kind of money with so much to choose from out there...:dontknow:

bhern
12-28-2017, 07:31 AM
My wife and I are totally new to riding (and therefore to the Spyder), and the primary reason we moved ahead to buy one was because of the availability and affordability of a basic riders course that gave us a chance to try out the product and learn how to ride it at the same time. Thanks to BRP's promotion, the course was just $50, we came out of it with a straight shot at a motorcycle endorsement on our DL (in Texas, adults who pass the written and riding portion of the BRC don't have to take a test to get their motorcycle endorsement) and a desire to continue the adventure. (And happy we did -- we're enjoying the learning process as we hopefully build up enough miles to be confident and safe.)

Agree that it would be great if BRP dealerships offered the Riding Academy concept, but as long as there are equipped three-wheel course providers, if BRP continues to subsidize the course through them it accomplishes the same objective, I would think.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-28-2017, 08:06 AM
for me parking & gas price are the 2 biggest reasons i ride outside of just having fun. in nyc parking just down right
sucks.

Pirate looks at --
12-28-2017, 09:14 AM
This is the direction that BRP has taken in other states for the last year in order to get people to be able to do a demo. ( other than California or any other state where you don't need a MC endorsement to ryde) It will be their new sales initiative as we go into the new year to get people trained on the spyder and get their endorsement. Should be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if HD got the idea from BRP as they have been doing it all of 2017. Harley gets the headlines because they are Harley!

Raprider
12-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Agree that it would be great if BRP dealerships offered the Riding Academy concept, but as long as there are equipped three-wheel course providers, if BRP continues to subsidize the course through them it accomplishes the same objective, I would think.

Rider-Ed here in NJ just told me to wait another week, til after New Year's, when their pricing for the 3-wheel Basic Rider course will be subsidized by BRP (from $325 down to $50)!

MRH
12-28-2017, 11:52 AM
A few years ago, I ended up at an HD open house that was primarily to promote the Riding Academy. They divided us into four groups that rotated among four stations (bike explanations, customization, sitting on a running bike on a stationary mount and shifting through gears, and I forget what else). They also had the local HOG group talk.

I thought it was one of the most effective and brilliant marketing experiences I had ever done, and were it not for the fact that I work on weekends, I might have done the $350 class just for fun.

I'm glad BRP is doing something similar (the should in CA as well, even though we don't need the license), and HD is smart to expand the program. I can't see a better way to open up the door, and to make sales and new riders.

pegasus1300
12-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Harley has actually had a riding course at many of its dealers for years. Remember when they had that entry level bike that was basically half a sportster? And after one year you could get full price back on a trade in? Great marketing. I had several friends who became riders because of that program,not all on Harleys but all on 2 wheels. We need more Factory/Dealership participation in things like this to increase the involvement/Sales of new riders,or it's going to become like the 60's all over again with only a select few riding with a decreasing number of choices.

Bob Denman
12-28-2017, 06:18 PM

The Blast was just that! :yes:
I'm hoping that BRP's "Project S" is even more of a success! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
12-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Much interest so far on the site for the new BRP offering to come. Time will tell if its going to be a success or not. :thumbup:

Trbayth
12-29-2017, 09:49 AM
I just got the 2018 New Jersey Rider Education newsletter when they feature prominently a partnership with BRP for their 3-wheel basic ridership course. BRP is providing RT's and F3's for the training.

http://www.renj.com

Pirate looks at --
12-29-2017, 01:24 PM
A few years ago, I ended up at an HD open house that was primarily to promote the Riding Academy. They divided us into four groups that rotated among four stations (bike explanations, customization, sitting on a running bike on a stationary mount and shifting through gears, and I forget what else). They also had the local HOG group talk.

I thought it was one of the most effective and brilliant marketing experiences I had ever done, and were it not for the fact that I work on weekends, I might have done the $350 class just for fun.

I'm glad BRP is doing something similar (the should in CA as well, even though we don't need the license), and HD is smart to expand the program. I can't see a better way to open up the door, and to make sales and new riders.
They will initiate this in Cali this year!

Rogue Hawk
01-02-2018, 04:21 PM
HD does not make any bikes I would be interested in. I will be looking for a 'sports' standard bike or a sports touring bike. HD makes nothing like that. HD's are low and slow.

ARtraveler
01-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Agree. The HD entry level bikes leave a bit to be desired--unless you like Chevy II's. Remember them from the 60's?

I am very pleased with my new Kawi Vulcan 900 LT. Looks nice, 900 cc's. Rides like a Caddy (IMO). A bit heavy at 765# but doable with the 26" seating. Got mine for $7K. Feet on the floor, I am happy.

cptjam
01-02-2018, 11:09 PM
The biggest problem that is causing slowing motorcycle sales is the cost of a new bike. Many cost more than some new cars which is ridiculous. In my opinion, an RT limited should have a price point of about $20,000, not $30k+. I know I would never pay for new, and I have a healthy bank account!
BRP needs to drive down the price point. Lots of cars available for less than a new RTL, or F3LTD. Harley has several big touring bikes for 20-25k, Honda has a new Goldwing starting at 23,500, and BMW has several as well. Not sure who BRP is benchmarking against. Lower prices means higher sales!