PDA

View Full Version : Noise under mild acceleration

BrandyMB
12-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Mary Christmas folks!
I have a issue which begins at about 4000 rpm, the engine makes a clicking sound under mild acceleration, sound to me like a lifter click or rod noise, which I doubt as the thing just turned 8k miles. If I back off the gas it stops and doesn't get worse if I hit it harder. Anyone notice that or have ideas? I've a '13 STS SE5.
Maek

Chupaca
12-23-2017, 05:21 PM
It would seem to be fixed to that rpm. Rods, lifters, valves etc would be dirctly connected to the rpm at any level. Is this a rolling 4000 rpms or engine only in netural rpm noise..? we usually start by checking oil levels and condition. The Se5 clutch is fully engaged about at that rpm could be in there. :dontknow:

Bfromla
12-24-2017, 05:38 AM
It would seem to be fixed to that rpm. Rods, lifters, valves etc would be dirctly connected to the rpm at any level. Is this a rolling 4000 rpms or engine only in netural rpm noise..? we usually start by checking oil levels and condition. The Se5 clutch is fully engaged about at that rpm could be in there. :dontknow:

:agree: & wouldn't hurt to remove the Tupperware just to see if anything may be loose & the clicking could be more of something with a vibration issue, that if you can hear you should be feeling even more accurately.

youngers
12-24-2017, 07:30 AM
if any of these above ideas do not work , or help , take that baby too the shop , let them have a look , { it sounds like the lifters from the description }

BrandyMB
12-29-2017, 05:16 PM
if any of these above ideas do not work , or help , take that baby too the shop , let them have a look , { it sounds like the lifters from the description }
Yup talked with the service manager. Goes to the Shop next week.

BrandyMB
01-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Yup talked with the service manager. Goes to the Shop next week.
Dealer checked it out and said that noise was normal for that type engine. I guess I'm just used to big twins like HD and Victory. All well, will pick it back up tomorrow.

ingramwc
01-08-2018, 06:50 AM
I have the same model, no funny noises from mine.:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
01-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Dealer checked it out and said that noise was normal for that type engine. I guess I'm just used to big twins like HD and Victory. All well, will pick it back up tomorrow.
Unfortunately dealers ....LIE ...... especially when they don't have a clue :banghead::banghead::banghead: ..... I would try and find someone with a V-twin engine and compare .... It's not going to matter wether RS - GS _STetc, or manual or SE tranny ..... You should both have the same exhaust tho ...... jmho ..... Mike :thumbup: