PDA

View Full Version : Wifeless rider

msherwood
12-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
Thanks in advance

mark4Jesus
12-23-2017, 08:40 AM
I bought our 13 RTL because my wife did not want to ride on 2 wheels anymore. She got scared for some reason. Have y'all ridden on two-wheels before or is this her first time riding anything?

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-23-2017, 08:41 AM
start riding with a young girl friend and see how quickly your wife starts asking to ride with you

youngers
12-23-2017, 08:44 AM
ohhhh ! not so much on the spyder , but the 2 wheels she is a bit Leary to ride , the leaning into curves , { she is not in control :yikes: } ... but if she was to say I am not going to ride any more ! ----------- > time for a part time rider ... { if you want company that is } or switch to a 2 wheeler or a spyder r.s.

mark4Jesus
12-23-2017, 08:49 AM
I saw your other thread, could it be your riding style, i.e. how you take curves....

imfleck
12-23-2017, 08:50 AM
My brother in law bought a BEAUTIFUL Harley the year before last. He was planning the same thing; take the wife around the country on the back of the bike. Only thing was, she wasn't in on the planning and had NO intention on getting on the back of a bike.

msherwood
12-23-2017, 08:57 AM
I saw your other thread, could it be your riding style, i.e. how you take curves....

Absolutely not my style she has not given the spyder a chance I commute to the Bay area and drive defensively, She has never rode before so when she did ride 1 time only it was in the neighborhood doing about 10mph, maybe finding a DOE along th highway is the answer LOL

mark4Jesus
12-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Question: Does riding in the open like that scare her or is she afraid of being hit by a car/truck?

Mikey
12-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Absolutely not my style she has not given the spyder a chance I commute to the Bay area and drive defensively, She has never rode before so when she did ride 1 time only it was in the neighborhood doing about 10mph, maybe finding a DOE along th highway is the answer LOL
My rtl has a set of arm rest that gives you a fell of sitting in a chair with arms around you! My wife loves it, we tried a new F3 with no arm rests and she said if we ever did one of those arm rest would be the first add on. The couple that had the rtl before me had a set of home made seat belts for the back so when his wife would take a nap she wouldn't fall out!:yikes: Was the first thing I took off.

pwm
12-23-2017, 09:19 AM
My wife was a lot like yours pretty much refused to ride until I started sending her pictures of all the rides I was going on. Now she rides some as long as we stay under 100 miles.

msherwood
12-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Question: Does riding in the open like that scare her or is she afraid of being hit by a car/truck?
I think it is a combination of both. Riding for me is like taking the worst day of your life and supressing that,

Lin
12-23-2017, 09:32 AM
I do hope she gives it another chance. When I first bought my Spyder, the first destination ride my wife and I took was 15 miles from home and we were nervous. Now a 1 to 2 hour ride in one direction is the norm for us. Like you, we want to see and ride in this beautiful country of ours, but we will not ride for days on end. If we are traveling any distance, we trailer our Spyder and ride it primarily on the back country, secondary or state roads. For my wife and I, we can't wait to ride again(once the snow has gone) and find a new, or old favorite place for lunch followed by a different road home.

With short rides, she may still come to like it. Good Luck!

Lin

msherwood
12-23-2017, 09:33 AM
My rtl has a set of arm rest that gives you a fell of sitting in a chair with arms around you! My wife loves it, we tried a new F3 with no arm rests and she said if we ever did one of those arm rest would be the first add on. The couple that had the rtl before me had a set of home made seat belts for the back so when his wife would take a nap she wouldn't fall out!:yikes: Was the first thing I took off.
Mine has the huge Corbin heated seat with arm rests, cup holder the works:banghead::banghead::banghead:

AppleSpyder
12-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Just a thought ......let her get on the spyder in a parking lot and show her how it works. Walk beside her and show her how the controls work, talk her through it. Sometimes when a person understands how things work it makes it clearer to them. Or have her take the 3 wheel motorcycle course on a spyder if its available. That way she understands the dynamics. She may end up even wanting her own spyder. You never know!! Cindy

KX5062
12-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Sounds like she might need to be the rider on her own Spyder? Maybe try the parking lot stuff, but her in control. Maybe have her take the MSF class if she'd be willing. They teach motorcycle riding to novices on very small motorcycles that are not overly intimidating.

scarecrow
12-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Lol. If I even reach for the Spyder Keys, Denise is already on the bike.

bushrat
12-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Here's a thought .... do you know any Spyder-owning couples in your area? Could you find a way to invite some of them over, husbands AND wives together, for drinks/snacks over the holidays? Several couples would be ideal. No special reason, just a get-together to become better acquainted. Very subtly, get one of the ladies to start talking about some of the fun trips they have taken. Keep the guys out of the conversation; just let the gals carry the flow. Hopefully, several wives will have great adventures to tell, and your wife will begin to notice these other gals seem to have fun and enjoy riding. Let her convince herself she just might like it, too. She won't feel pressured by you. Better still, if the other wives then ask her to come along on their next outing.

Good luck.

Highwayman2013
12-23-2017, 10:29 AM
My wife didn't like riding on the two wheeler so I got her a spyder. She loves to ride now, me on the motorcycle and her on the spyder.

PrairieSpyder
Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
Thanks in advance

I hope she can learn to enjoy it, so you both can get out in the wind.

I do hope she gives it another chance. When I first bought my Spyder, the first destination ride my wife and I took was 15 miles from home and we were nervous. Now a 1 to 2 hour ride in one direction is the norm for us. Like you, we want to see and ride in this beautiful country of ours, but we will not ride for days on end. If we are traveling any distance, we trailer our Spyder and ride it primarily on the back country, secondary or state roads. For my wife and I, we can't wait to ride again(once the snow has gone) and find a new, or old favorite place for lunch followed by a different road home.

Lin

For the OP, I'd recommend that you get comfortable on the Spyder first as a solo ryder, and then introduce your better half to it. As a passenger, if the operator is nervous it will certainly not make me feel better.

JAS POWER
1st have you asked the wife why she doesn't want to ride???

2nd do you have headsets or something so you can communicate with her while your riding??? Maybe she is a tad bored on the back (not able to talk to you)???

3rd sometimes I don't want to ride my bike or Spyder just because I want the luxuries that come with a car (air conditioning, or heat...) maybe its the comfort of the car. She might even like the roof just because it might rain.

So I would find out from her why she doesn't like it.

Best of luck to you on this one.

Gilda
12-23-2017, 11:15 AM
After years of riding 2 wheels my husband and I sold our bikes for camping.
I got the bug again and he didn't.
I bought my new 2015 ST L in May of 2016. Rode by myself until I found some riding buddies. Male and female.
Lyle stayed at home and watched me go have fun for 2 riding seasons.
It eventually changed his mind about riding again, so late last summer bought himself a 2010 RT.
He's happy to be out again and looking as forward to spring as I am!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is - maybe she'll get jealous of you going out and having fun without her. Then want to ride!!

Pam

nslowmotion
12-23-2017, 11:21 AM
I got rid of the wife,,,lol

JayBros
12-23-2017, 11:24 AM
My bride of 53 years and I were long distance bicyclists for many years; rode a tandem for over 25 until her severe RA damaged feet could no longer handle the pedaling. Had her blessing (she chose the Cognac color) when I bought the Spyder thinking she'd like to be outdoors having fun, which she loves. We've some local friends who ride together when schedules permit and we routinely start a riding day with breakfast somewhere and then go on sightseeing rides, maybe 100 or so miles. I've gotten her off on one weekend rally but long trips are just not comfortable for her because of the RA. We both accept the way things are and she doesn't mind my long solo jaunts.

harry1025
12-23-2017, 11:29 AM
wife was leery about riding on my first bike a gold wing she would not ride on my virago or vstar now wiyh yhe spyder she loves to ride just not to far so long trips with my camper i do solo and yes we have sena s20 on modular helmets she likes not having to yell give the wife a chance dont push it she may come over to the fun side

Fire34
12-23-2017, 12:07 PM
We were out on vacation to see some friends and there was one on raffle. The wife and I said YES!!! It took a while and then one day we both said now is the time. My wife loves it just as much as I do. We took our first road trip out this past fall about a 6 hour ride and loved it. Road around the area etc. We try and stay of the interstates as much as possible, may be try the local roads and roads not as busy and that will get her to come around. We have a 2013 RT Limited

Dave

Fire34
12-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Lol. If I even reach for the Spyder Keys, Denise is already on the bike.

This past black Friday here in Illinois it was 60 degrees. guess what she was a little perturbed of course she had to go shopping I went for a nice 100 mile ride;)

Fire34
12-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Lin

We met a couple at the local dealer who told us that their cross country trips they do nothing but back roads etc. they had mentioned they went to Colorado on the back roads 60 mph tops. Our first trip this past fall was 400 miles both ways all back roads, we loved it. for me personally i could not see buying an RTL to trailer it. Hope I did not offend anyone here who does trailer theirs We have a 2013 RTL with a tag along trailer

Davd

SpyderAnn01
12-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Is your wife comfortable as a passenger in your car? Or does she prefer to be the driver? If she needs to be in control she likely will never want to be a passenger on your Spyder. The key will be to convince her she wants one of her own, show her how easy it is to be the driver. Then you can decide who gets the old bike and who gets the new one.

IGETAROUND
12-23-2017, 12:47 PM
And if worst comes to worst, plan you trip and go enjoy yourself. It will either work or not. If you want t o ride and she doesn't let her drive the car an meet you there, or follow along behind you on the same roads. WTH ride and enjoy:shemademe_smilie:

CA Railwhale
12-23-2017, 01:06 PM
We met a couple at the local dealer who told us that their cross country trips they do nothing but back roads etc. they had mentioned they went to Colorado on the back roads 60 mph tops. Our first trip this past fall was 400 miles both ways all back roads, we loved it. for me personally i could not see buying an RTL to trailer it. Hope I did not offend anyone here who does trailer theirs We have a 2013 RTL with a tag along trailer

Davd

My wife loves local rides, but is uncomfortable with more than two hours on the F3 so we trailer it for long distance and use it for exploring near our destination. I wouldn't mind longer rides, but don't want to leave my wife out of the fun. The day will come all to soon when I'll be making those rides by myself, so I'm enjoying her company now. We both prefer back roads to interstates, 40 to 50 on a back road is more enjoyable than 80 to 90 on a freeway.

Arion
12-23-2017, 01:15 PM
My charming wife wasn't interested in riding on the back of my Spyder either but not for the same reason. She made it plain that she wanted her own Spyder and, surprise of surprises, she now has her own RT Limited.

2dogs
12-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Have your wife read this post and all the answers you received and see if it helps. All but number three. I'd delete that one because you may not live long enough to ever completely heal.

msherwood
12-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the valuable information I will consider and if it does not work out I guess I will be going to the rally's alone. Riding the spyder helps me relax particularly while playing my music in my helmet. I find riding is more relaxing than anything.
Thanks again

trucker1
12-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Try to find some other spyder people to ride with. Make sure they and their wives are together. Maybe if she sees them together and she can talk to some of the other riders it might ease her mind some.

ARtraveler
12-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks in advance

I used the "stealth" method to get Linda interested. I was fresh from a divorce in riding season 2011. The ex was a rider and we put three years of high miles riding on before the split. Yes, she had her own, well decked out $6,000 plus in accessories RS, SE5. She took it with her.

Enter Linda. One of her first comments when we started the relationship. "If you think I am going to ride on that THING, then its a deal breaker." Nice start. :roflblack::roflblack: At the time, I had a 2010 RTS and a Vulcan 900 LT.

I left it at that for the first month or so, during the "getting to know you" period. I made appearances on the Spyder when we met for lunch--since we started meeting in "public" places. It took a couple months, but I finally asked Linda if she would try a two block ride in my neighborhood. I am rural, so no "dangerous" traffic to worry about.

The first ride was done in first gear and no more than 10 mph. I was extra careful at stops and turns. No torque from "g" forces for sure. We started by going around a four block square. We did that about three times. I am close to five miles of twisting road with (15 mph) curves and, once again--pretty much no traffic.

I asked if she would like to "tour" the neighborhood. She said yes. Once again, that first ride was about 10 mph. No speed up, extra easy on the curves (no "g" forces). We did the five miles front to back twice. She got to know the sounds and feel of the bike and realized that it could be good. The third time I did the course at 20 or so. Yes, I made sure the curves were at less than posted so there was no "g" forces. Then the big bravery test.

I asked her if she wanted to go out on the Glenn Hwy--attached to our loop. Two lanes, traffic moving at 65 mph. She said yes. I accelerated carefully up the ramp and made sure I would not get into a pack of traffic. We drove the Glenn for 5 miles at 60. I was extra careful to keep it in "safe" mode. She liked it so much that I had to make the run a couple more times.

That summer (2011), she was my passenger for over 10,000 seat miles. We had some great weekend drives, going all over the area and hitting most of the Roadhouses--for food. The very last month, I asked her if she would like to try driving it. We started back in the neighborhood and then the loop, and then the highway. She put about 50 miles on in the neighborhood and then we tried the highway. I was her passenger--just in case. The first five miles or so were a bit "interesting" but she learned quickly. The 10,000 seat miles did not hurt.

Fast forward to 2012. I figured this would be more fun if us two larger people had our own rides. I bought Linda a brand new 2011 on a Friday. That first weekend we drove 750 miles. Break-in oil change supposed to be at 600 on the 998's. We had to wait an additional week--so I brought it in at 1500 miles or so. Not bad for a little over a week riding for a "newbie."

Yes we are still riding together. She has put 28,000 miles on that 2011 so far. I traded my Vulcan 900 to get her the bike. This year I also bought another Vulcan 900. So for the time being--we have three rides in the garage.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to give the full story. Hope you folks can re-think the situation a bit. :yes:

asp125
12-23-2017, 03:56 PM
On the Spyder, my better half likes to share the controls. Sometimes we switch off being driver and pillion. OTOH we both prefer our own two wheeled bikes, she likes to carve canyons following me on her FZ6R

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks in advance
You need to recognize some women simply do not care for m/c riding, period. Just like I have no interest in sewing and doing crossword puzzles, my wife, in her adult years, has never had an interest in riding a bicycle, horse, snowmobile, m/c, whatever. She has spent a few minutes of my ATV on the home farm! I had a Honda 350 over 30 years ago when she was in the prime of life. No interest. Then I moved up to a Kawasaki 440. No interest. Then I got an 81 Goldwing. No interest. Sold it and 12 years later bought a 2005 Goldwing. No interest, but by then she was suffering from medical issues, including arthritis that made it impossible to wear a helmet. Sold it and bought my first Spyder, 2013 RT. She rode it for a couple of miles with me in the local parade that next summer. Had it for two years then sold it and bought my 2014 RTS. She's never sat on the '14.

It takes a certain set of DNA to like to ride and be active outdoors, and your wife just plain and simple may not have them. Let her do her thing and you do your thing. Just work on some sort of mutual accommodation that will keep you both happy.

4 MARIE
12-23-2017, 05:55 PM
I would be thrilled to still have a wife (alive) either at home or on the pillion.

bmccaffrey
12-23-2017, 07:24 PM
start riding with a young girl friend and see how quickly your wife starts asking to ride with you

I AGREE!!

mark4Jesus
12-23-2017, 07:44 PM
I would be thrilled to still have a wife (alive) either at home or on the pillion.

Thanks for that reality check. Sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

canamjhb
12-23-2017, 10:10 PM
New wife, old Goldwing. Updated the rear suspension to accomidate 2-up riding. Went on 2 rides and found wife looking on Craigs list for her own ride. She bought a Honda ST1300 which she rode for 3 seasons. I then bought her a Goldwing which she reluctantly tried. Found out it was easier to maneuver and liked it a lot better then the 1300. Sold the 1300 and her old Goldwing and I bought the Spyder. She now rides my old Goldwing while I am on 3 wheels. She needs to be in control. (But still follows me) Best wife I ever had.

Roadster Renovations
12-23-2017, 10:32 PM
My wife had never road a motorcycle when we first got our RT. I gradually had her sit first seat for the reason if something ever happened to me, she could at least get it home. One thing led to another and we decided to get me one. And of course that meant if she was coming, she would be on the RT solo. When we started ryding together I let her lead (always). That gave me a chance to match her speed, gently point out things that she could have done better. A two communication system is essential. Once she started getting used to it she couldn't believe the difference between being 1 up and sitting behind someone. She now has about 18 months on the road, ryding some of the hairiest twisties and mountain roads. She knows how to ryde defensively and situationally aware. I just used the utmost patience with her and she is now fully licensed and loves to ryde.

A parking lot is a good idea. Maybe with your helmets on you can get her comfortable enough so that she is more relaxed. Talking seems to really help.

DGoebel
12-23-2017, 10:38 PM
msherwood, I wish your wife an mine could have a chat, My wife Sharon had quit riding with me on two wheels but the first test ride on a Spyder sold her, Last year we had over 8000 miles together, I had another 4000 solo, both mileage records on a cycle for us. The stability and apparent safety of the spyder really clinched it for both of us

Hey Yu
12-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Does your wife have activities which do not include you? How do you feel about those? This is an activity you participate in and enjoy. Learn to do it without guilt or remorse. It is better to be riding solo than not at all, and those are your options!

blacklightning
12-23-2017, 11:49 PM
Thanks in advance
I have a similar issue. I purchased my 2014 rt for the wife and I to ride together. After 2 1/2 years and over 20k miles, the wife only did 4 long trips and 3 local rides with me. This spring I sold it and bought a f3t. She still doesn't ride. Much, but now I have more fun. When solo, and she can still ride when the urge hits.

youngers
12-24-2017, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=nslowmotion;1324669]

hahahaha I see , if the photo is your new riding partner , you now went with the " chick magnet " riding buddy ! :p

den1953
12-24-2017, 08:59 AM
I'm not a Spyder owner yet but my wife has pretty much given up on riding behind me on my 2015 Indian Chieftain. Since her total knee replacement surgery she cant completely bend that knee enough to easily get on & off while I steady the bike. I am hoping to get a new F3T or F3 Limited so she can just get on & off without me on there in her way. The lower seat height might help as well and besides that I am very much more comfortable with a feet forward riding position. The biggest difference will be not leaning a bike over into turns and dealing with centrifugal forces but in reality it's not any different than driving or riding in a car. I think we'll adjust to it.

ThreeWheels
12-24-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm a wifeless rider also.
However, riding on the motorcycle is one of the prerequisites for any girlfriends.

easysuper
12-24-2017, 11:02 AM
My wife rode behind me in the 70s and then life kind of got in the way and the bikes disappeared and in place of them were a string of pack burros for about 20 years, we had always talked about buying a big Wing and touring when we retired , I went for a weekend ride with my son about 10 years ago and it started a ache for a bike I had suppressed for many years. When I turned 60 I decided to get a big touring bike but my wife had crashed her bicycle about 2 years before that and ended up in the hospital, after that she would not get up behind me. My knees went and then my ankle needed fusing so I was no longer comfortable on two wheels and them " Spyder" things were way too funny looking for me. Her friend had one and had given her a ride and she did not feel like she was going to tip over so she told me one day that if we had one of "Them" she would feel a lot safer. I had tried them out when on a job in California and was leaning on the idea so we went out "just to look" and bought our first 998 RTL .
After about a year of riding as a passenger she decided it would be a good idea to get her endorsement so if I got sick or hurt when we were touring she could ride it home or what ever she needed to do. So her same girlfriend started taking her out and showed her the ropes and she ended up with her licence for three wheels. A year later I'm on a job site in Wyoming and she took my bike in for a oil change and texted me she got a discount on the oil change and alignment as she had "bought " something. When I asked her what kind of accessory had she bought now she answered "my own bike, as a retirement gift to myself" she put almost 30,000 miles on that one her first year of riding and we have taken many great day rides and trips together, she pulls a dog trailer and I pull a aspen tent trailer and we are having a new chapter in our lives to share with each other.
We both now have 2015 RTLs
Keep trying to find a way to get her riding comfortable and she may enjoy it as much as you do.

MurrayBrown
12-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Ok folks I bought this beautiful 2013 RTL so my wife and I could go out and see this beautiful country of ours together only to come to the conclusion she will not ride, are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it. Thanks in advance

My wife has never wanted to ride on any of my motorcycles, and now not on my Spyder. What we do is that we do travel together; me on the Spyder and my wife in her car. We start at Point A and I advise that I will have to stop at Point B for fuel. I tell her that I will be on the first gas station on the right at Point A. That allows her to go at her own pace, stopping to take photos, etc. Please note that she is a watercolor artist so she's always looking for things that don't necessarily have any interest for me. We meet at Point B, and after I refuel we have a coffee and share each other's "trip". The, it's on to Point C. We do this all day long until we decide to stay over for the night. We have traveled thousands of miles throughout Canada and various spots in the USA. Most pleasurable.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-26-2017, 07:53 AM
my wife says she liked my idea about the younger girlfriend

Bob Denman
12-26-2017, 08:12 AM
:dontknow: It just ain't everybody's cup of tea... :dontknow:
Try the Parking Lot exercise, and see if limited exposure in controlled circumstances helps her to grow accustomed to the feeling.
Good luck! :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
12-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Try to find some other spyder people to ride with. Make sure they and their wives are together. Maybe if she sees them together and she can talk to some of the other riders it might ease her mind some.
Of course you are welcome to visit our Sacramento Spyder Ryders of America Chapter where you will find lots of couples you and she can ryde with. That might make a difference for her if she makes friends with other passengers. As Ann suggested you can always buy her a Spyder of her own! awe have two and it's expensive but fun! PM me if you want to know more about Sacramento SRA!

Easy Rider
12-26-2017, 10:32 AM
are there any other folks in this site that have the same issue and how did you handle it.
Thanks in advance

Yes. But I knew the situation a LONG time ago.

Activities in our house are: Yours, mine and ours.
The Spyder is one of "mine".

msherwood
12-26-2017, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=nslowmotion;1324669]

hahahaha I see , if the photo is your new riding partner , you now went with the " chick magnet " riding buddy ! :p

That chick magnet in my profile is my wife, LOL

bscofield84
12-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Ask her if she would like to try driving it. Some enjoy driving more than riding.

pegasus1300
12-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Thanks in advance

My wife will ride short distances with me when there is little or no traffic. When we want to go somewhere distant she sometime follows in the car and sometimes we put the Spyder on a trailer. When we get to our actual riding area then she comes with me.

And of course many times I ride alone but I have been doing that most of my riding life.

pegasus1300
12-26-2017, 05:16 PM

I am sorry for your loss. It is a hard thing to lose your companion. My 1st wife has also passed away,in 2007. I was very fortunate to marry again. I met my 2nd wife on the internet and we have now been married 9 years.

ThreeWheels
12-26-2017, 08:39 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=156565&d=1514338676

jaybird1
12-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks in advance

My wife wouldn't ride at first; said she would never ever get on the bike. Well, about 3 weeks of me being gone all day changed her mind! When she rode for the first time, I took it easy and after that I can't keep her off. She will love it, just give her some time.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-26-2017, 09:29 PM
The predominant view expressed here is that with tact and persuasion the OP's wife will ride. Looking around the local GWRRA chapter I can full well understand that sentiment. Out of 30+ members in the chapter nearly half are wives. That puts me, as a wifeless rider, in a small minority. But don't assume that every wife can be persuaded to become a rider, or co-rider. They can't, or won't. If the OP's wife has the hidden genes to be a rider, and he can ferret them out, great. You guys have offered some very good suggestions to try to dig them out. But don't keep encouraging him to dig for them if they aren't there, even if you are convinced they've got to there somewhere.

UtahPete
12-26-2017, 10:13 PM
People (including the female variety) are either adventurous or not. My current (4th and final) wife is a backpacker, caver, kayaker, backcountry skiier - you name it. When I met her 12 years ago, she didn't know I was 'between motorcycles'. Then, I came home one day with one and she was aghast. She had never ridden one and forbade her sons from riding them, believing all the nonsense that's out there about the danger (well, maybe not all nonsense). Anyway, she tolerated what I thought would be a solo experience until she discovered from one of the gals in her office that there's a whole social world out there around this sport and that not all 'ryders' fall into the 'biker' category.

In other words, with experienced and responsible riders, there's social acceptance, even pride, in riding and touring particularly. So, not one to be left out, she went with me on a 4-day ride with the local motorcycle club to Jackson, Yellowstone, Targhee and back to Park City and she was HOOKED! She's been riding with me ever since and this year got her own Spyder (the Cognac one). Her family is amazed and impressed, particularly her sons and grandsons, who have yet to take up ryding (but you know it's just a matter of time).

Anyway, if your wife is adventurous AND she feel confident in your ryding skills AND she doesn't want to be left at home, she will come around. It helps if someone in your social circle also rides. Otherwise, spare yourself and your wife a lot of grief - just go on some 3-wheeled adventures solo each year and be grateful your wife is understanding of your passion.

Bob Denman
12-27-2017, 07:46 AM
:shocked: Four? :shocked:
They're just like potato chips... :joke::joke::joke:

At least you kept going until you got it right! :thumbup:

wyliec
12-27-2017, 08:43 AM
:shocked: Four? :shocked:
They're just like potato chips... :joke::joke::joke:

At least you kept going until you got it right! :thumbup:

That sounds like a subject for another thread, and I don't mean potato chips.

Bob Denman
12-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Herr's Ketchup-flavored... :thumbup:

easysuper
12-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Bob just said what everybody else was thinking. But it sounds like Pete landed on his feet and has someone to share life with. Humans aren't meant to be alone. I am one of the lucky ones and found my saint 44 years ago and she loves to ride as much as I do, so much she went out a bought her own bike.

Bob Denman
12-27-2017, 09:16 AM
:clap::congrats: :2thumbs:
But I bet that she'd tell all of us that she's the lucky one!

PrairieSpyder
12-27-2017, 11:26 AM
my wife says she liked my idea about the younger girlfriend

She must know something the younger gal doesn't! ;)

foxtail1
12-27-2017, 08:54 PM
The stories in this thread remind me of how I got back into motorcycles, at about age 50, after not having ridden since high school. My husband suddenly announced he was buying a Harley. I stated that he was not buying a Harley, that wasn't in our plans. We went back and forth for a few minutes with many repetitions of "I'm getting one. No, you are not." Then, he said, "I'll get you one too." I said, "Okay."

He called his brother and said, "I've solved the motorcycle problem."

I put about 50K miles on my Harley, right up until I bought my Spyder in July, but I rarely rode alone. Most of the miles were on road trips across the US and Canada with my husband. But with my Spyder? I'm commuting to work, and will ride alone or with him at the drop of the hat. Both Harleys are gone now, but he's still on 2 wheels...though I'd love to get him on 3.

I can't really respond to the OP's post, but I have never been a passenger on my husband's motorcycle. I guess I'm the controlling sort. (I normally lead when we ride, too.)

Good luck!

Motorcycledave
12-28-2017, 01:00 PM
There are plenty of people who wanted to do the same thing,
When I want to go for a ride and she don't I kiss her goodby and go.
Dave

Thanks in advance