PDA

View Full Version : Are you retired from or currently working at your "dream" job?

Navydad
12-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Digging through and arranging old photos and found this one. I am grateful for my years at KW and never could have retired at 56 without KW and the benefits they provided. However, it was not my dream job and I never was really thrilled with the place. I did motor and generator rewinding for 12 years or so and I loved it. Everyday was different, you never knew what was going show up and usually at quitting time. You had to think, actually use your brain for formulas and logic. Never was a math fan, didn’t take much in school and had to learn trigonometry on my own in the work place. It was a challenge and a blast. I could have done this work forever, but with a growing family I had to follow the money. No regrets, I’m glad I did what I did because life has been good, but I did enjoy this job.

Bob Denman
12-22-2017, 12:38 PM
39 years of selling insurance... I still love (actually; it's more of a "strong like"!) coming to work each day.
But I only have five more years to go, and I'll hit the door running! :yes:

wyliec
12-22-2017, 12:52 PM
39 years of selling insurance... I still love (actually; it's more of a "strong like"!) coming to work each day.
But I only have five more years to go, and I'll hit the door running! :yes:

Don't you just roll out of the bed, and you're there? Wait, that must be me that I'm taking about. Except 2 weekends a month, I not only have to roll out of bed but to the hospital. I've been doing that since 2006, and I'm still not sure, if I really like it, or I try to convince myself.

WilderThomas
12-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Digging through and arranging old photos and found this one. I am grateful for my years at KW and never could have retired at 56 without KW and the benefits they provided. However, it was not my dream job and I never was really thrilled with the place. I did motor and generator rewinding for 12 years or so and I loved it. Everyday was different, you never knew what was going show up and usually at quitting time. You had to think, actually use your brain for formulas and logic. Never was a math fan, didn’t take much in school and had to learn trigonometry on my own in the work place. It was a challenge and a blast. I could have done this work forever, but with a growing family I had to follow the money. No regrets, I’m glad I did what I did because life has been good, but I did enjoy this job.

Twenty years with the Navy from 3/6/1976 to 30/6/1996. And really, not a single regret. Allowed me to retire at 46. Saw more of the world than I'd ever have seen working for Oldsmobile or Fisher Body in Lansing. Even became a Jerusalem Pilgrim on visiting the Holy Lands. Crossed the equator, twice. And I believe I'd have stayed in for 30, had the opportunity been there.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Growing up My Dream job was to be a police officer, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd be in the Mounted Division ( horses ) of the NYPD. When I reached the age to join there were about 25,000 men & woman in the Department ..... and only 150 Horse cops :banghead: .... So in reality my hopes were slim to NONE that I would be riding a horse .... I won't tell how I achieved my goal, it's a very, very long story .... But I did :yes::yes::yes:..... I rode my horse ( actually two different horses ) for almost 8 years, we had lots of adventures. Then I left and moved to Vermont to raise a family ( NYC was not a pleasant place to live during those years, I was armed pretty much 24/7 ) .... I finished my career with another 27 years in the Montpelier Police dept .... I was the first cop to ride a bicycle on duty in Vermont ... Now this small State has about 50 in various city's. ...... I don't think I'm really retired, I'm uber busy with my Spyder/s designing and building various things for it :clap:...... Not everything that has happened in the past 70+ years has been great but overall I have no regrets...... and that's maybe all you can ask for ................. Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight. ....... Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

easysuper
12-22-2017, 01:36 PM
I still like my job as a construction superintendent, every day has it's challenges . I started in the trades with my dad when I was 10 and have always loved building things, My most gratifying job was building Kidney Dialysis Clinics for 10 years in the 90's as we were making the quality of life better for many people.I'm going to end my career on a High End luxury Apartment complex in Dec. of 2018. I still like my job but it's not as fun as it was. I feel I have more than earned my time for fun in the sun . And I'm looking forward to retirement and spending time in my wood-shop and taking long adventures on our Spyders with my wife who loves to ride as much as I do.

canamjhb
12-22-2017, 01:37 PM
After 35 years in the financial services industry, I retired as a bank Vice-President at age 57. It was a good, challenging, and lucrative career and I have no regrets. But, my very best dream job was when I was much younger. I had a summer job working at a kids Dude Ranch. I was one of 3 who were in charge of the horses and taking kids riding to include overnight trips into the mountains. On weekends we did a little rodeo riding. That explains why I ache and walk funny now at age 70. That job lasted 3 summers at which time the Marine Corps decided they needed me more than my horse did. I look back at those experiences as some of the happiest times and a great way to grow from adolescence to young adult.

JerryB
12-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Hi Navy,

Re: Are you retired from or currently working at your "dream" job?

I come from a large family of 'worker bees.' In my family success was getting into a union.

After 4 yrs in the Air Force, working in an office, I knew that I not want to spend the rest of my life on the wrong end of a shovel.

Took 6 1/2 yrs to get a degree in Mech. Engr. & went to work for the federal gov't. I spent 30 yrs in Contract Management and loved it. Retired from the feds in Oct '99; then consulted for 3 yrs.

Now I own a small, 1-man parachute design & manufacturing business. I work about 20 hours a week at it.

My goal is to sell it & completely retire in about 3 yrs or so. *

Life has been very good; with only a few regrets.

Jerry Baumchen

* Anyone looking for a nice retirement job?

ARtraveler
12-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Three actual careers with a little mish-mash and overlap in between.

Retail Leather store for 29 years.

Accounting/Finance for 20 years.

College Accounting Professor for 20 years. I have succeeded in becoming the longest teaching professor at my local college. 17 years and never missed a class there.

This looks like the year I am retiring from the teaching.

It has been a nice run. :yes::yes:

Navydad
12-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Twenty years with the Navy from 3/6/1976 to 30/6/1996. And really, not a single regret. Allowed me to retire at 46. Saw more of the world than I'd ever have seen working for Oldsmobile or Fisher Body in Lansing. Even became a Jerusalem Pilgrim on visiting the Holy Lands. Crossed the equator, twice. And I believe I'd have stayed in for 30, had the opportunity been there.

Our son has eighteen years in and just put in for four more. His resume' reads much like yours. He has four equator crossings and currently on a sub tender in Guam. He will probably stay until they show him the door or hatch :thumbup:

wyliec
12-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Our son has eighteen years in and just put in for four more. His resume' reads much like yours. He has four equator crossings and currently on a sub tender in Guam. He will probably stay until they show him the door or hatch :thumbup:

I was in Guam for 6 months on the sub tender USS Hunley (in 1968). We relieved another sub tender the USS Proteus; but, I think that sub tender has long been decommissioned.

Saluda
12-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Retired, it is my dream job.

asp125
12-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Retired at 55, sold the house the cars and traveled for a year in our RV. Just before retirement I was a telecom project manager at a fiber, bandwidth, services company, and loving the work and the team dynamics. Now my dream job is retirement and having a bit of land and our bikes. Still young enough to do crazy fun things and have the time to do it in. I don't subscribe to the notion of ONE and only ONE dream job; rather, dreams change and evolve and you get enjoyment out of whatever you're interested in doing.

ahh-cool
12-22-2017, 06:47 PM
I was an aircraft mechanic and inspector, (A&P, IA), till I fell off an airplane in 1991. Went back into air conditioning till I was unemployed (retired) last March 1.
Now I cruise around the country in my RV with my wife and see the country. All three of them was my dream jobs, but now I'm in heaven.

wyliec
12-22-2017, 06:52 PM
I don't subscribe to the notion of ONE and only ONE dream job; rather, dreams change and evolve and you get enjoyment out of whatever you're interested in doing.

Thanks for this!

Bob Denman
12-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Stefan,
We took your advice, and are making preparations for the future... :yes:

canamjhb
12-22-2017, 09:48 PM
What a great diverse bunch of people here. I would like to spend time with each getting to know better. Very interesting backgrounds. Good thread.....

DGoebel
12-22-2017, 10:16 PM
20 Years in the USAF. Travelled around the world, two different career fields, from Combat Security Police to Computers Education and Training. Retired after 20 years to my own Computer service company.
My current commute is out of the kitchen, through the laundry room, garage, and into my shop where if I'm lucky, I get to help one or two customers each day with personal one on one service, training, and education.
I spend the rest of my time thinking about Riding my spyder, riding my spyder, and Planning rides... on my Spyder. I'm so blessed my grin hurts by the time I go to sleep....
I'm VERY thankful for all the Great Spyder folks sharing their expertise and experiences, many of which have made farkles on my spyder be just what I wanted.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Blessed New Year to each and every one of you.
If you're reading this, this means YOU!

Navydad
12-22-2017, 11:11 PM
I was in Guam for 6 months on the sub tender USS Hunley (in 1968). We relieved another sub tender the USS Proteus; but, I think that sub tender has long been decommissioned.

USS Emory S. Land

156504 156505

PW2013STL
12-23-2017, 03:39 AM
I started my dream job on 9/30/17 as that is the date I retired from the paycheck world. So far it's been everything I had hoped it would be :ohyea:

Durring my paycheck years I did everything from cleaning cement from road bricks to spending outer people's money (purchasing agent). There are aspects of every job I had that I liked as well as did not like.

I have been blessed with my wife of 41 years (Happy birthday Kathy - 12/23/--) as well as two children that I could not be more proud of!
I am in good health and love sharing rides and get togethers with all the good people that I have meet here and on the road, and look forward more of both going forword :yes:

Merry Christmas and a great new year to all!!!

Aesculapius
12-23-2017, 07:37 AM
I am one of the few around here that is still in the prime of my profession. I graduated from veterinary school 21 years ago and am looking forward to another 20 years or so in practice. I always wanted to be a veterinarian even from some of my earliest childhood memories and it has been pretty good to me. There have been lots of challenges along the way and it ain't all puppies and kittens but I am happy. I don't know if I will ever truly completely retire, they say that old vets never do, they just slow down until they eventually die off.

GA_Spyderman
12-23-2017, 08:26 AM
"the Marine Corps decided they needed me more than my horse did.

Hey, Canamjhb, were you one of the lucky ones that got drafted into the Marines in the early 70's? I got my Uncle Sam letter to go to Ft. Jackson, SC for my draft physical in Dec. '70. When there, I saw about 6 guys get selected for induction into the Marines that day. You should have seen the look on their faces. We had not even heard about the Marines drafting. Vietnam was hot and heavy then. After my physical, I went back home and signed up for the Air Force. I probably dodged a bullet that day, literally. But I really enjoyed my time in the USAF, which launched me into a 45 year career as an electronics technician. Worked for a few different companies over the years, but was always in the same field of endeavor. I just loved electronics and even made it my hobby as an amateur radio operator.
Merry Christmas, fellow Spyder Lovers!:f_spider:

PrairieSpyder
12-23-2017, 10:19 AM
First of all . . . to all you SLs who were in military service, THANK YOU!!

I had lots of low-paying jobs before I went to college. Then, after finishing my degree I partnered with my brother as a retail liquor dealer. Hated it.
Went back for a graduate degree and then hired on at AT&T. There I had 3 careers - sales, accounting operations, and then division staff. Then I discover the one job that fit the way I think - logical analyst in a systems development division. Unfortunately, they promoted me to my level of incompetence, so I left.

Now I'm in my real dream job. I get a pension now, so they pay me every month and I don't have to show up anywhere!

I started my dream job on 9/30/17 as that is the date I retired from the paycheck world. So far it's been everything I had hoped it would be :ohyea:

Durring my paycheck years I did everything from cleaning cement from road bricks to spending outer people's money (purchasing agent). There are aspects of every job I had that I liked as well as did not like.

I have been blessed with my wife of 41 years (Happy birthday Kathy - 12/23/--) as well as two children that I could not be more proud of!
I am in good health and love sharing rides and get togethers with all the good people that I have meet here and on the road, and look forward more of both going forword :yes:

Merry Christmas and a great new year to all!!!

:thumbup::thumbup: Happy Birthday, Kathy!!

sylvester
12-23-2017, 11:09 AM
My dream job is cocktail hour:clap:

ahh-cool
12-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Stefan,
We took your advice, and are making preparations for the future... :yes:

The toy hauler looks good. How big is it 33? Make sure you cool off the bike before putting it in there, I was told by others that they could smell fuel in thew house part. It would probably not be dangerous just uncomfortable. Bob, I'm getting ready to purchase a 2018 RTL.

I should buy it with Amazon Prime, it would be here in 2 days

wyliec
12-23-2017, 12:49 PM
I am one of the few around here that is still in the prime of my profession. I graduated from veterinary school 21 years ago and am looking forward to another 20 years or so in practice. I always wanted to be a veterinarian even from some of my earliest childhood memories and it has been pretty good to me. There have been lots of challenges along the way and it ain't all puppies and kittens but I am happy. I don't know if I will ever truly completely retire, they say that old vets never do, they just slow down until they eventually die off.

My pet thanks you and so do I.:thumbup:

Arion
12-23-2017, 01:08 PM
After 25 years in the U. S. Air Force, I'm now living - and loving - my dream job, being retired. And, curiously, I seem to be busier than ever. I suppose that's a good thing because it distracts me from remembering just how many years I've logged on this "mature" body. Only one artificial part and a mere two medications thus far and for that I imagine I should be very thankful. Just hope things don't deteriorate too much in the years to come.

MRH
12-23-2017, 01:40 PM
I run my own photography business, and that is my passion. That said, it's still work - there is no "dream job" - just one that we are fortunate to have and which gives us some fulfillment and satisfaction.

I'll probably pull back my hours when I get older (perhaps to 40 a week), but I don't see a true retirement in my future, nor would I be able to fill my time without doing my work.

Joe T.
12-23-2017, 02:52 PM

ACP,

Thank you for being a veterinarian. I think my wife and I have put two or three vet's children through college - GRADUATE SCHOOL!! ;)

Seriously, we appreciate the vet care for our babies. We have always been 'dog people.'

But, we learned something about 5 years ago that has haunted me ever since. We had a beautiful male Papillon named Rocky. We learned the hard way about 'neutering.'

We had taken Rocky to the vet religiously and when he was younger the vet(s) always wanted us to get him neutered. Their position was that it would help reduce the unwanted pet population. BS. Rocky never got out of our sight. No need to 'butcher' him!!

When he was about 10 or 11, he was having some issues with bowl movements. We would take him to the vet and the vet would check him out and could not figure out what was wrong. X-Rays, other tests and NOTHING!!

One day my wife noticed a bulge near his anus on the right side. We immediately too him to the vet. FINALLY, the vet made a correct diagnosis (not a criticism. We just hope the vet can diagnose his patients as well as an MD. But, that is pretty hard to do when the patient can't talk!).

Rocky had a hernia!

We took him to the only Surgical Vet Hospital in Wichita. The head vet said he needed to have the hernia repaired, but he would not do the surgery if we did not have Rocky neutered, too!

WHAT?!?!?!?!

The vet explained that un-neutered male dogs continue to produce testosterone throughout their lives, perhaps even increasing the amounts as they age. This high level of testosterone weakens the abdominal muscles that hold in the intestines, etc. Eventually, those muscles become so weak they will herniate.

OK, I don't know Jack about medicine, vet or otherwise. But, this guy seemed to be much more knowledgeable than our normal vets at the local vet clinic.

So my question: Do you agree with the surgical vet's position?

If you do, PLEASE tell your pet owners when you suggest neutering their male dogs WHY!! It ain't JUST for population control, but to eliminate potential serious health problems in their later years.

We had to euthanize Rocky about two years later - just before his 14th birthday. He continued to go down hill since the surgery. One of the saddest days of my life. It is hard to write this - - -

To this day, I have concerns about the care provided by vets. Probably irrational, but a more complete explanation of the neuter issue would have made a heck of a lot of difference to my wife and I - and especially Rocky. It ain't about 'pet population control.'

I apologize for the rant. Kathy and I just miss Rocky.

Regards,
Joe T.

R FUN
12-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Worked on oilfield exploration,parts manager,sales and even raced snowmobiles on a BRP race team. In 1971 quit everything,got on my motorcycle and headed south through the USA, Mexico, Every country in Central America,got into South America and toured every country there including crossing the Andes Mtns, in the snow,crossed the Amazon jungle then worked my way back to Canada, Had no money but figured I wanted to own a hunting and fishing lodge so went north into the bush and built my own and in 26 years had one of the biggest in Canada including 136 bed camp, 28 boats & motors, 3 airplanes, a line of construction equipment and a taxi and bus buisiness. Sold out in 1996 and went back to traveling full time in an RV. Built a home in 2002 but still travel, made 5 trips to nearly every country in Europe,booked another now to Scotland,Ireland and England. Someday might stop and settle down but only in my 80th year so hopefully got lots of time for that.
Merry Christmas and all the best to everyone in the New Year
Roger

MisterP
12-23-2017, 03:17 PM
With a chemical engineering degree I went to work for a major US chemical company. Like any career I had assignments I liked (being part of the team that replaced “Freon” with new products, doing training) and some I didn’t (government contracts, and auditing our distribution network after a major chemical poisoning of a consumer drug that to my knowledge remains unsolved today). I traveled a lot for 22 years, but my ex-wife and I never had children so I didn’t miss them growing up.

I finally quit after 26 years in the midst of a government contract when the client was upset about our actions and my company went into “who can we blame” mode instead of trying to fix the problem. Now I was 48 years old and suddenly unemployed.

Started a consulting company that wasn’t real successful but I made friends I still have today. Started writing articles to support my business and really enjoyed the challenge of writing a good article, so I eventually dropped the consulting and became a freelance writer. I ended up writing for companies like ACT testing, ehow.com, and wisegeek.com.

I am still copywriting for a wide variety of clients from a dentist to a luxury car dealer. I will be selling web services soon for the company for whom I write. I also recently passed my FAA Part 107 UAV (drone) commercial test so I started a LLC to see if I can make some money doing that.

None of the the work I do now is full time so I have the flexibility at 63 y.o. to try different things, and now being single again the freedom to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This thread is a great idea.

MisterP
12-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Worked on oilfield exploration,parts manager,sales and even raced snowmobiles on a BRP race team. In 1971 quit everything,got on my motorcycle and headed south through the USA, Mexico, Every country in Central America,got into South America and toured every country there including crossing the Andes Mtns, in the snow,crossed the Amazon jungle then worked my way back to Canada, Had no money but figured I wanted to own a hunting and fishing lodge so went north into the bush and built my own and in 26 years had one of the biggest in Canada including 136 bed camp, 28 boats & motors, 3 airplanes, a line of construction equipment and a taxi and bus buisiness. Sold out in 1996 and went back to traveling full time in an RV. Built a home in 2002 but still travel, made 5 trips to nearly every country in Europe,booked another now to Scotland,Ireland and England. Someday might stop and settle down but only in my 80th year so hopefully got lots of time for that.
Merry Christmas and all the best to everyone in the New Year
Roger

Dang, are you adopting anyone?

slick999
12-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Retired at 60,spent 36 years with the local utility stringing wire,repairing gas lines.Worked many Holidays and storms out in all the weather.No regrets,enjoyed getting the lights back on and keeping people safe.Merry Christmas to everyone and a safe Happy New Year.

BoilerAnimal
12-23-2017, 10:57 PM
Worked as a welder at an open pit coal mine for almost eight years, over 12 years as a machinist for Komatsu America, graduated the apprenticeship for the Boilermakers and worked in gas and coal fired and nuclear power plants. Now I'm working as a machinist again for a major bearing manufacturer. Been a member of the United Auto Workers for almost 2 years, the United Mine Workers for almost eight years and the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers for almost 28 years. We've got land bought in Florida on the gulf coast for when the time comes to build our new house when I retire for good. Now we just have to live long enough!

fjray
12-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Been a mechanic all my life. Started at 15 and now 68. I've worked on everything except airplanes. ruined my neck working on boats and got a small pension from the state. Now I do Motorcycle restoration work to put nickles in my travel jar so we can travel on the bike in good weather. It's been fun and I'll keep it up until they throw dirt in my face.:D

Dmetcalf
12-24-2017, 01:10 PM
Just turned 60 this past Aug. my financial guy says to hang in there til I hit 65 then we’re all good. In the meantime we’ll just keep riding/Camping as much as possible..!

IGETAROUND
12-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Exciting career, started working as a janitor @ 15.5 years of age, finished high school, drafted in to the army in 1969; enlisted in the navy instead, became a corpsman, discovered a fun thing called inhalation therapy ( now called respiratory therapy). Worked two years @ St. Albans in NY, then another two years with the Marines @ LaJune in NC. When enlistment up, came back to civilian life, did manual labor, poured basement walls while waiting to start community college in Ann Arbor, Mi for respiratory therapy. Graduated with an associates and worked in various hospitals before coming to Kalamazoo, Mi. This is where I met my current wife of 39 years and worked as a Registered respiratory therapist; # 3005 in the country. Worked @ Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo, raised a family of four, went back to school in 1988 for physician assistant, graduated in 1991 and have been in continuous practice in various aspects of medicine now for 26 years. Have spent the last 12 years @ the VA in Battle Creek providing internal medicine services on a locked psychiatric ward. Will suppress the scream until November of 2018 and then will retire @ 68 years of age.

Have my current 2014 RS-M since Feb 2015, retired it for the winter this year with 51500 on the odometer and a little over 1000 hours on the motor. Have been to both coasts, and look forward in 2019 to be able to tour as much as I desire and not have to worry about how long it takes to get to my destination or how long I stay. Will most likely have ~ 80 K on the clock when it goes to bed next winter, then will get it replaced with I'm leaning towards an F3T so I can still pull my time out camper.

Lots of this fine country I have yet to visit; am looking forward to the time I can do so in a relaxed fashion.

Living the dream and suppressing the scream in Kalamazoo, Mi.:thumbup:

Al

gkamer
12-24-2017, 02:22 PM
After 42 years and change in law enforcement, I'm 219 days away from pulling the pin for good. By that time I will have 43 years, 10 days under my belt (not that I'm counting ;);)) and have come to the realization this is a young mans/womens game.

oldgoat
12-24-2017, 04:37 PM
After 42 years and change in law enforcement, I'm 219 days away from pulling the pin for good. By that time I will have 43 years, 10 days under my belt (not that I'm counting ;);)) and have come to the realization this is a young mans/womens game.

Please stay very safe for those last 219 days so you can enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Deanna777
12-24-2017, 07:57 PM
I have more 4 more years to work, to reach my "dream job of retirement".

I have been at my current for 18 years to present. Looking forward to "retirement".

Deanna

Deanna777
12-24-2017, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=oldgoat;1324887]I spent all my working life in pharmaceutical research. Started out in the UK as a lab assistant for Roche. Was allowed 1 full day per week off to attend classes to get a BSc. Got paid for that day as well. Took me 5 years as I was not the most diligent student.
Graduated & got married to the perfect wife in '65. Had met her in those 5yrs of classes. She studied harder & graduated a year before me. We then emigrated to Canada & I studied for a PhD in Alberta.
Got a job as a Research Scientist in Montreal & worked for Wyeth for 37yrs ending up as a Senior Research Scientist. Retired at 65 back in 2004.

We've been travelling ever since. Two long driving holidays in the SW & NW USA every year. We fly to LV or Denver & rent an SUV for 4 weeks & just drive.

A couple of years after I retired, Pfizer bought Wyeth for $72 billion & proceeded to fire all of Wyeth's scientists!!! Somewhat ironic as the reason they bought us was because of all the very promising drugs coming through our pipeline. Their wonderful pipeline was empty. So they fire our productive ones & keep theirs. Couldn't quite understand that.

I'm 78 now & feeling a bit worse for wear these days. Hope to get another 2 years of riding at least. My bro comes over from the UK every summer for 10 days & we go riding for a week in Canada & the US north east. I on my '08 GS & he on the '04 Honda Shadow Aero VT750 I bought for him to ride. He's coming again this year so keep an eye out for 2 old farts on the loose in VT, NY & ON in July.

I have 2 beautiful daughters & 2 great grand kids. Life couldn't be better. Hope you all have a great Christmas.

ps...I can't help noticing how many veterans we have on this forum. In case if any one wonders how I could live my life without military involvement it was purely fortuitous. I was born in '39 so obviously missed WW2. Not old enough for the Korean war. Canada did not participate in the Vietnam war (to the best of my knowledge) then far too old for the Iraq & Afghanistan wars. I sort of slipped through life without my services being called for. For that I am truly grateful but admire all of you who met the challenge & kept us all safe.[/QUOTE

***We will keep an eye for you and your bro on the roads in VT. in July. Give us a wave if you see us on the roads in VT. I( 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac/ [ painted dashboard) & my significant other vtrider- Adrien 2016 F3- Special all black). *** Deanna

oldgoat
12-24-2017, 08:18 PM
***We will keep an eye for you and your bro on the roads in VT. in July. Give us a wave if you see us on the roads in VT. I( 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac/ [ painted dashboard) & my significant other vtrider- Adrien 2016 F3- Special all black). *** Deanna[/QUOTE]

Our eyes will be wide open as well & a wave will be forthcoming.

Oldest Sage
12-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Interesting thread... as I look back on my past (70+) jobs I think they were all my dream jobs during that time. Many jobs during high school, worked my way thru some college and they all got me what I wanted...enough to get by without debt. Enlisted in Navy as an Aviation Electrician and after 30 years had advanced to a LT. After the Navy was hired as a Laser Repair/automation Tech...still working because I really enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong, none were perfect jobs yet I enjoyed and learned from all of them. Thru most of this I married a wonderful woman and had 2 great kids. My next perfect job, as many have stated, is retirement. I am currently searching for a touring Spyder to purchase soon so I can prepare it for traveling with wife and grandkids. In the meantime, I’m here lurking and learning. :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-25-2017, 10:21 AM
After 42 years and change in law enforcement, I'm 219 days away from pulling the pin for good. By that time I will have 43 years, 10 days under my belt (not that I'm counting ;);)) and have come to the realization this is a young mans/womens game. As a fellow LEO , I'm glad you are near this event ..... and I agree this job is/was for the young ....although I don't envy anyone who is still waiting, ...................good luck ..... Mike :thumbup:

R FUN
12-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Yes. MISTERP I should consider adopting someone because when I get to 100 or 105 in a few years and decide to retire
I might need help getting under the Spyder to service it HA HA, Heading out right away for my 3 mile daily walk, only -47 below with wind chill.
Have a good one.
Roger

bscrive
12-25-2017, 04:35 PM
After almost 25 years working for the Federal Gov't in Canada, we will be retiring in just over 5 1/2 years. Our retirement cannot come too soon. We are really considering a move to Spain for our retirement years. The housing is cheap and the Costa del Sol weather is perfect year round. It also gives us a jumping off spot to do our dream job...travelling. We would be able to see all of Europe and Asia without all the air travel. ;)

ARtraveler
12-25-2017, 07:40 PM
Yes. MISTERP I should consider adopting someone because when I get to 100 or 105 in a few years and decide to retire
I might need help getting under the Spyder to service it HA HA, Heading out right away for my 3 mile daily walk, only -47 below with wind chill.
Have a good one.
Roger

That's cold enough to cut with a knife. Saw -40 a few times in Northern, MN and got -60 below (one time record) while in Northern WI. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I feel for ya. Will have a cup of hot chocolate and reminisce. :bowdown::bowdown:

dpetrick
12-25-2017, 07:54 PM
I spent 4 years teaching in a private elementary school. Then ran my portrait wedding photo business for 42 years, retired from that this year. Now I photograph only sports and special events for charities, local newspaper and local college and high school and teach photography classes at the local community college. I am a Iowa Newspaper Association award winning photographer because of these events. During college, part time I had jobs working in the machine room of a paper mill, as a broke hustler, and cleaning cheese wheels for Kraft grated parmesan. Also worked in home construction, plumbers helper, painter, roofer, and electricians helper during high school. Dad was an electrician and uncles were home builders and plumbers, so I worked for them.
I am enjoying my semi retirement and spend as much time on the Spyder and my Nomad as possible during the summer months. My wife enjoys riding with me on the Spyder.

UtahPete
12-27-2017, 12:05 AM

We do what we have to do to provide for our family, right? I'm not sorry for what I did (10 years US Navy, 30 years CPA and small business consultant) but can't say I did any of it out of 'love' for the work.. Glad it's over and can retire (modestly, for the most part) and enjoy the golden years somewhat intact.

burg650
01-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Happy Holidays to all, kind of late but better late then never I say. My dream job is retirement, did it at 50 and moved to Thailand. I do miss my Spyder but would not consider getting one here, first they are very rear and would cost about between $65,000 and $95,000.

murphybrown
01-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Over my 77 years I have done a multitude of things. Started my first business when I was 6 years old. Done a lot of stuff...all legal (I think)...some jobs I took strictly to "survive" and very grateful...ideal, dream OH HECK NO...but made sure my employer got the best employee I was possible to give. I did the official retire "thing" in 2005. I bought my first Spyder in 2010 and here is the rest of the story:
I quickly became addicted to Spyder travel and the wonderful folks I meet and sites I see. After a couple years I discovered that the fixed/retirement income I was receiving was the only thing fixed...all those basic costs of living sooo not fixed. So that I could continue my addiction to Spyder Ryding and a couple others!! I knew that something needed to change. One option. Sell my home and move back in a tent (did that during one survival mode)...or find a solution. AND the option of "working for the man"..even part time was NOT on that list:
Soooo following my passion for business...I went looking and found the answer to how to "DO IT ALL"...even as I continue to age...yep that just keeps on keeping on,
Soooo I'll be seeing you on the road on my Spyder...First stop for 2018....headed to Bayou Rally then to Spyderfest Rally... hope to see you on the road in 2018. Yep life is Golden in the world of murphybrown. Luving life..:thumbup::thumbup:

UtahPete
01-04-2018, 11:43 AM
I knew that something needed to change. One option. Sell my home and move back in a tent (did that during one survival mode)...or find a solution. AND the option of "working for the man"..even part time was NOT on that list: Soooo following my passion for business...I went looking and found the answer to how to "DO IT ALL"...even as I continue to age...
Soooo, what did you do to fill the income / expense gap?

murphybrown
01-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Soooo, what did you do to fill the income / expense gap?

Pete send me a PM if you want more info. Have a greatday. Dang wintery here. Oh way it is WINTER.