PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Movies

RinconRyder
12-21-2017, 07:11 PM
I discontinued Netflix years ago (when they were still mailing DVD's) because they didn't carry much that interested me. Lately, my cousins, who do subscribe have been suggesting movies so I gave it another try. I sampled several Netflix-produced movies. Here is what I found:

Their series, like the most recent "Godless", tend to be much longer than they should be and contain many scenes seemingly put there for titillation. Bare breasts, sexual violence, graphic violence. Their production standards seem very good - music, scenery and acting but the stories are generally unbelievable. In Godless for instance we are to believe a gang of 30 outlaws completely wipes out entire western towns while the U.S. Army declines to track down the gang and one town is defended by the entire population of females (the men having been killed in a mining disaster). A very thin take off of "High Noon".

I'm old and a Navy veteran and have seen plenty of boobies. I don't need that sort of thing in my movies unless it is germane to the story being told. Here it clearly was not. And having been a Vietnam vet I have also seen my share of gore. I don't need the extravagant blood splatter that seems to perpetuate modern movies. And I know all the cuss words ever invented but I don't need to hear them spoken by a 10 year old.

And I don't mean to single out only Netflix because the same thing seems to prevail at other production studios such as HBO and Showtime as well.

It is no wonder our children and young adults are so seemingly immune to improper behavior and vulgar language.

wyliec
12-21-2017, 07:16 PM
The kids get most of that when hanging with other kids in and out of school, improper behavior and language. I think you brought this up to discuss; so, all those things you don't care about, I don't mind. I did watch the movie you described; it was okay, and I did like Lady Godiva.

Have you by chance checked out Wormword on Netflix? I don't think it has any of the type scenes that you don't care for. There's a previous post here where I described it, and why I stopped watching it.

RinconRyder
12-21-2017, 10:18 PM
Have you by chance checked out Wormword on Netflix? I don't think it has any of the type scenes that you don't care for. There's a previous post here where I described it, and why I stopped watching it.

I read the reviews on IMDB and decided it wasn't worth spending the time.

Chupaca
12-21-2017, 10:59 PM
You have the choice to watch...continue to watch or simply move on. I watch how to, docu-dramas, documentary to keep learning and for entertainment good old fashioned slapstick comedy..:roflblack::roflblack: which my wife does not get...:dontknow:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-22-2017, 08:02 AM
try stranger things

jcthorne
12-22-2017, 08:15 AM
I have enjoyed Westworld and Longmire on Netflix.

I feel we get much better value from Netflix than we ever did from HBO and $10 a month for the whole family to use it is not bad. It also works when we travel.

Bob Denman
12-22-2017, 08:20 AM
If you don't like what you see: simply change the channel. :dontknow:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-22-2017, 08:24 AM
If you don't like what you see: simply change the channel. :dontknow:

what a great idea

Air Wing Guy
12-22-2017, 08:46 AM
i think i have about rewatched every episode of The Andy Griffith Show nothing too much there unless Otis gets unruly.....

wyliec
12-22-2017, 08:51 AM
try stranger things

I liked the 1st season. The 2nd season, I couldn't get past the 2nd episode.

wyliec
12-22-2017, 08:53 AM
I have enjoyed Westworld and Longmire on Netflix.

I feel we get much better value from Netflix than we ever did from HBO and $10 a month for the whole family to use it is not bad. It also works when we travel.

I don't care where I watch Westworld. When is the 2nd season due? Do you lag behind in the new episodes on Netflix, of any active tv series?

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-22-2017, 10:39 AM
i think i have about rewatched every episode of The Andy Griffith Show nothing too much there unless Otis gets unruly.....

i watch andy on metv every morning

Saluda
12-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Longmire is great, heard it got the hatchet ?

RinconRyder
12-22-2017, 12:18 PM
You have the choice to watch...continue to watch or simply move on. I watch how to, docu-dramas, documentary to keep learning and for entertainment good old fashioned slapstick comedy..:roflblack::roflblack: which my wife does not get...:dontknow:

I am typing this from my man cave, or as she calls it, the Three Stooges Room.

WilderThomas
12-22-2017, 01:38 PM
I discontinued Netflix years ago (when they were still mailing DVD's) because they didn't carry much that interested me. Lately, my cousins, who do subscribe have been suggesting movies so I gave it another try. I sampled several Netflix-produced movies. Here is what I found:

Their series, like the most recent "Godless", tend to be much longer than they should be and contain many scenes seemingly put there for titillation. Bare breasts, sexual violence, graphic violence. Their production standards seem very good - music, scenery and acting but the stories are generally unbelievable. In Godless for instance we are to believe a gang of 30 outlaws completely wipes out entire western towns while the U.S. Army declines to track down the gang and one town is defended by the entire population of females (the men having been killed in a mining disaster). A very thin take off of "High Noon".

I'm old and a Navy veteran and have seen plenty of boobies. I don't need that sort of thing in my movies unless it is germane to the story being told. Here it clearly was not. And having been a Vietnam vet I have also seen my share of gore. I don't need the extravagant blood splatter that seems to perpetuate modern movies. And I know all the cuss words ever invented but I don't need to hear them spoken by a 10 year old.

And I don't mean to single out only Netflix because the same thing seems to prevail at other production studios such as HBO and Showtime as well.

It is no wonder our children and young adults are so seemingly immune to improper behavior and vulgar language.

One of the better movies with the war theme I've seen was actually from Amazon. Called, We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson, and Sam Elliott who portrayed then LtCol Moore and SgtMaj Plunkett, both real life Soldiers. The story was the battle at LaDrang Valley during the mid 60's. I never had the pleasure of meeting either one, likely I'd have been awestruck enough to become tongue tied. I asked my uncle who had been in the Army and had seen action at the Battle of The Bulge, what did he think of the movie, Saving Private Ryan? Well, it's Hollywood was his response.

ThreeWheels
12-22-2017, 01:48 PM
I am typing this from my man cave, or as she calls it, the Three Stooges Room.

Did you happen to notice at what point in the playback do the boobs show ?
I'm scanning for them now, but don't want to watch the whole episode if I don't have to.

RinconRyder
12-22-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm scanning for them now, but don't want to watch the whole episode if I don't have to.

There are two "showings". One is a flashback rape scene and the other is when she is attacked in the forest by Indians. Neither add anything to the story although she isn't as skinny as one would think. :shocked:

There is also a "ride down Main Street" with a Lady Godiva character. Also adds nothing to the story.

Unfortunately, I did not record the time and I have deleted the movie.

RinconRyder
12-22-2017, 03:24 PM
One of the better movies with the war theme I've seen was actually from Amazon. Called, We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson, and Sam Elliott who portrayed then LtCol Moore and SgtMaj Plunkett, both real life Soldiers. The story was the battle at LaDrang Valley during the mid 60's. I never had the pleasure of meeting either one, likely I'd have been awestruck enough to become tongue tied. I asked my uncle who had been in the Army and had seen action at the Battle of The Bulge, what did he think of the movie, Saving Private Ryan? Well, it's Hollywood was his response.

For reasons that should be obvious I don't watch anything with Mel Gibson in it.

As someone who has also seen combat I would tell you Saving Private Ryan was one of the most unrealistic war movies ever made. If you want more realism in WWII European theater find a copy of The Longest Day. For Pacific theater I would recommend Tora, Tora, Tora.

Cavman
12-22-2017, 03:49 PM
I'm on the trial right now because I wanted to see the sixth season of Longmire. Sat and watched to whole season a couple of weeks ago in one day. Watched it again a few days ago.

BTW for the Longmire fans, Longmire Days was announced a couple of weeks ago &
I have my reservations in! August 9-12, 2018 Buffalo, WY. I got a deal on a couple of VIP Passes from the chamber of commerce.

asp125
12-22-2017, 06:24 PM
I watched the first episode of Godless the other day. I thought it was pretty good. Just started Black Mirror season 1, don't know if I can get into it yet.

wyliec
12-22-2017, 07:03 PM
I watched the first episode of Godless the other day. I thought it was pretty good. Just started Black Mirror season 1, don't know if I can get into it yet.

I just watched the trailer for Black Mirror, I'm not sure if I can get into it like with Westworld. Since it cost nothing but time, I'll probably give it a shot.

wyliec
12-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Episode 4 and 6 is the closest I can get. I prefer Lady Godiva.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-23-2017, 08:47 AM
currently watching sons of anarchy & the mist on netflix