PDA

View Full Version : Tragic News

mxz600
12-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Please be careful all you snowmobilers out there. Slow down, death is lurking at every curve. They're called trees, and they are not very forgiving.

Such a shame. One dead, one hurt in UP snowmobile accident.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/1_dead_1_hurt_in_upper_peninsu.html#incart_river_i ndex

ARtraveler
12-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Good words of wisdom. We have also had a few here. So far--all alcohol related--not avalanche.

RinconRyder
12-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Here in AZ we have an area called "The Cinders" which is an ancient volcano cinder mountain open to ATV/Snowmobiles etc. In the summer you can clearly see the depressions on the old lake bed and trails but in the winter the snow tends to fill them up. You may see only a slight depression or no depression at all.

More than a couple times I have seen snowmobilers unload and go ripping off across the lake bed only to nose into one of these bowls (some up to 30 feet deep) and go ass over teakettle (we call it The Flying W). The local hospital says they receive a dozen of these people every weekend.

You just can't fix stupid.

UtahPete
12-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Here in AZ we have an area called "The Cinders" which is an ancient volcano cinder mountain open to ATV/Snowmobiles etc. In the summer you can clearly see the depressions on the old lake bed and trails but in the winter the snow tends to fill them up. You may see only a slight depression or no depression at all.

More than a couple times I have seen snowmobilers unload and go ripping off across the lake bed only to nose into one of these bowls (some up to 30 feet deep) and go ass over teakettle (we call it The Flying W). The local hospital says they receive a dozen of these people every weekend.

You just can't fix stupid.
Nature has its own way of culling the herd!

Chupaca
12-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Truly sad news. It is a hard reminder to swallow when you think there is little traffic out in the wilderness. But fixed objects are just as dangerous as moving ones. :pray:'s th the family and friends and a speedy recovery to the injured party...

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Bright white snow and bright day make it difficult, if not almost impossible, to see the edge of a snow cliff when there is clear snow below it. I watched our dog run pell mell along the snow one day only to all of a sudden find himself in mid air flailing his legs all around wondering where the snow went that was just under him. Funny as all get out. But if you're on a snowmobile and do the same thing there ain't nothing funny about it. Fortunately I've never experienced it.

Saluda
12-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Too bad, good friend had a bad accident last season. Doesn't even remember what happened.

Bob Denman
12-20-2017, 07:49 AM
We also lost a sledder over the past weekend here... :banghead:

UtahPete
12-20-2017, 10:23 AM
We also lost a sledder over the past weekend here... :banghead:
We lose about 5 on average each winter here in the Wasatch and Uinta mountains. Combination of avalanches and crashes.

Bob Denman
12-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Only 5? That's not a bad total (relatively speaking.)
NYS loses about 20 each year. :banghead:
Most of our State Trail system is "Bar to Bar", and it shows up in the BAC levels of the deceased. nojoke

UtahPete
12-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Only 5? That's not a bad total (relatively speaking.) NYS loses about 20 each year. :banghead: Most of our State Trail system is "Bar to Bar", and it shows up in the BAC levels of the deceased. nojoke

Outdoor recreation is part of the lifestyle and life experience of many Utahns; not just something done on vacation nojoke. That probably has something to do with it. Plus, far fewer bars and none accessible by snowmobile that I know of! Usually, the fatalities result from; a) Adrenalin junkies pushing their limits or b) a visitor who doesn't understand the risks or gets lost.