PDA

View Full Version : Changed out my GPS today

Lamonster
05-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Not having any issues but seeing my Spyder is a early one I know I had the old GPS sensor. Didn't take long to change out and all seems fine. :doorag:

Loosen rear wheel and remove sprocket.
Then remove reverse cable.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=2422

Remove arm and spring.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=2423

Remove old sensor and install new one.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=2424

Reinstall sensor, arm and spring, cable, sprocket and adjust belt.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=2425

AMTJIM
05-19-2009, 08:13 PM
They are removing one of these along with a yaw sensor from a showroom model. Hopefully this will work. I missed the spring rally in Ruidoso, hopefully I won't be stuck at home this weekend too.

Roaddog2
05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
They are removing one of these along with a yaw sensor from a showroom model. Hopefully this will work. I missed the spring rally in Ruidoso, hopefully I won't be stuck at home this weekend too.
That should be it can't believe they waited that long :clap::gaah:

Stuart49
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM
As I wrote in my post, I also bought the new sensor and changed it myself (I trust myself way more than any of the techs at our local dealer), but was surprised to see that the old sensor is also the same part number as the new one -66. Molded right into the part! Bummer.

My machine is #445, delivered to me in Dec 07, so I was convinced that I had the older part and this was responsible for my occasional high idle and several gut-wrenching power steering 'burps' at 70 mph.

Regardless, disconnecting the battery for an hour and then running at idle for 15 minutes seems to have improved many little quirks.

Stuart

Wheelz
05-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Lamonster,

where did you get the gauge to measure the tension on the belt? Also, any special tool needed to remove the front sprocket? I'm getting ready to replace my GPS and the service manual doesnt really talk about any special tools need to remove the sprocket..

Motza
05-22-2009, 05:15 AM
What is the function of this part, and why are you changing it?

Stuart49
05-22-2009, 06:34 AM
The GPS is the Gear Position Sensor which tells the system what gear you are in. But it is also responsible for many 'quirks' such as high-idle, power steering 'burps' where the steeing seems to grab control and then release - this is really exciting at 70 mph when you are rounding a curve but the Spyder decides to go straight. The oldest machines have an older version of the sensor, which had a manufacturing problem. Surprisingly, my machine #445 had the newer version of the sensor (I changed it anyway).

Unfortunately most of the issues causes by this sensor DO NOT show up as faults on the BUDS diagnostic, so the dealers think we are all goofy. But BRP knows about this issue.

Stuart

Lamonster
05-22-2009, 06:39 AM
After taking a ride the next day with the new GPS sensor in I could swear my Spyder is running better. It seems much more responsive now. In fact when I rode it I was wondering what I changed to make it run better, I forgot about changing the sensor at first. For me it was worth the trouble. :doorag:

Lamonster
05-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Lamonster,

where did you get the gauge to measure the tension on the belt? Also, any special tool needed to remove the front sprocket? I'm getting ready to replace my GPS and the service manual doesnt really talk about any special tools need to remove the sprocket..
You can buy the tool at NAPA.
The sprocket will slide right off with no special tools.

ataDude
05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
What is the function of this part, and why are you changing it?

Read this thread in its entirety:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831

tweeder
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
What did y'all torque the front sprocket to, ad what colour locktite?

ataDude
07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
What did y'all torque the front sprocket to, ad what colour locktite?

Book calls for 77 f/p. I just use a 18" cheater bar and pull hard. :D

I also use red Loc-Tite on stuff like this... drive components.

tweeder
07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Book calls for 77 f/p. I just use a 18" cheater bar and pull hard. :D

I also use red Loc-Tite on stuff like this... drive components.

Thanks no I can get'er back on the road. What page in the manual did you find it? There was only a short paragraph on the front sprocket removal on page 166 in the gearbox section.

ataDude
07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks no I can get'er back on the road. What page in the manual did you find it? There was only a short paragraph on the front sprocket removal on page 166 in the gearbox section.

It's on the very first page of chapter 7... the diagrams. I won't give you page number because I have one of the first edition manuals and I know they changed and added a lot.

tweeder
07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
It's on the very first page of chapter 7... the diagrams. I won't give you page number because I have one of the first edition manuals and I know they changed and added a lot.

My manual (219100283) doesn't say anything at all in that section about the front, it's all about the drive belt/rear wheel. It does a few pages in under belt tension give the rear nut torque spec.

spyryder
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Mine shows it in section 6....81 lbs/ft or 110 n.m (#219 100 327)

czdaryle
07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
How much is this part running you if you do it yourself?

tweeder
07-16-2009, 06:37 AM
How much is this part running you if you do it yourself?

Well here's the thing, it started last year just before I put it away for the winter. I brought it out; less than a month but it wasn't acting up yet, so we made a weekend trip to prince george(7 hrs away) to get that and the brake squeel fixed. They said the brakes didn't squeel and there was no code..... so they did nothing. I said i'm not comming back here next week again when it does do it so they gave me the parts.

Tripod
07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Is the GPS functionality the same in both SM and SE models? Can the affected sensors be identified by a visual inspection...part number, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Tripod :coffee: