PDA

View Full Version : Why facts don't change our minds

UtahPete
12-18-2017, 05:26 PM
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds?mbid=nl_Daily%20121817%20Nonsubs&CNDID=48767305&spMailingID=12587770&spUserID=MTgwOTMzMDcwMzA3S0&spJobID=1301705613&spReportId=MTMwMTcwNTYxMwS2

“Once formed,” the researchers observed dryly, “impressions are remarkably perseverant.”

BajaRon
12-18-2017, 06:40 PM
First of all, though this study may have some validity. There is no way to gauge this based on this study alone. There are many important factors that are not addressed.

For instance. What are the consequences for being wrong about being right? In this case. Pretty much zero. With no real incentive or need to be right. It doesn't really cost anything to be stubborn. And not much reason to reconsider your actual status.

Necessity is the source for most life changes. And to make life changes. A person must be willing to reassess and make corrections if necessary. This aspect is totally missing from this experiment. Not to mention that the testers professed to lying to the group being tested. So there goes any credibility from which to challenge the thought process of these students.

I think the only take-away here is that it was a poorly conceived process. Sometimes the test is tailored to get the desired results.

IGETAROUND
12-18-2017, 06:56 PM
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds?mbid=nl_Daily%20121817%20Nonsubs&CNDID=48767305&spMailingID=12587770&spUserID=MTgwOTMzMDcwMzA3S0&spJobID=1301705613&spReportId=MTMwMTcwNTYxMwS2

“Once formed,” the researchers observed dryly, “impressions are remarkably perseverant.”

Thanks for sharing this well written article. There certainly seems to be a lot of this in play on the hot button topics here

UtahPete
12-18-2017, 08:06 PM
First of all, though this study may have some validity. There is no way to gauge this based on this study alone. There are many important factors that are not addressed.

For instance. What are the consequences for being wrong about being right? In this case. Pretty much zero. With no real incentive or need to be right. It doesn't really cost anything to be stubborn. And not much reason to reconsider your actual status.

Necessity is the source for most life changes. And to make life changes. A person must be willing to reassess and make corrections if necessary. This aspect is totally missing from this experiment. Not to mention that the testers professed to lying to the group being tested. So there goes any credibility from which to challenge the thought process of these students.

I think the only take-away here is that it was a poorly conceived process. Sometimes the test is tailored to get the desired results.
Can I change your mind about that?

Easy Rider
12-19-2017, 09:58 AM
The reason is:
In order for the details of "facts" to sink into your consciousnesses, you brain must work harder to actually analyze the information.
The response to things that play to your fears or hatred or ingrained social biases are "easy" and immediate.

It seems that many brains don't understand that. Or don't have the ability to do the necessary analysis.

Throughout history, leaders who have appealed to their subjects baser instincts have risen to power quickly........and then after a short while, have crashed just as quickly (usually) when reality sinks in.

The worst part of that problem is: Things have to get REALLY bad before the masses realize that they have been duped.........and the change after that is often really messy, even if it is done in a civilized manner.

UtahPete
12-19-2017, 10:41 AM
The reason is: In order for the details of "facts" to sink into your consciousnesses, you brain must work harder to actually analyze the information. The response to things that play to your fears or hatred or ingrained social biases are "easy" and immediate. It seems that many brains don't understand that. Or don't have the ability to do the necessary analysis.

Throughout history, leaders who have appealed to their subjects baser instincts have risen to power quickly........and then after a short while, have crashed just as quickly (usually) when reality sinks in. The worst part of that problem is: Things have to get REALLY bad before the masses realize that they have been duped.........and the change after that is often really messy, even if it is done in a civilized manner.
You nailed it. :yes::yes::clap::clap::bowdown::bowdown:

BajaRon
12-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Can I change your mind about that?

Sure. With facts.... :rolleyes:

Peter Aawen
12-19-2017, 06:51 PM
There again, the way I read it, that article only really tells us that being presented with the facts about something generally won't get or convince most of us to change our minds about a given subject - they are telling us what IS; the article really does nothing much to tell us WHY THIS IS SO?!? :dontknow:

Or should that be WHY IS THIS SO?!? :gaah:

UtahPete
12-19-2017, 07:24 PM
There again, the way I read it, that article only really tells us that being presented with the facts about something generally won't get or convince most of us to change our minds about a given subject - they are telling us what IS; the article really does nothing much to tell us WHY THIS IS SO?!? :dontknow: Or should that be WHY IS THIS SO?!?
I think that was a New Yorker book review rather than a complete article.

Peter Aawen
12-20-2017, 02:27 AM
I think that was a New Yorker book review rather than a complete article.

I don't believe you!! :shocked: And nothing you can say will convince me of that! :mad:

;) :roflblack: :rolleyes:

UtahPete
12-20-2017, 10:01 AM
I don't believe you!! :shocked: And nothing you can say will convince me of that! :mad: ;) :roflblack: :rolleyes:
Bloody Aussies....:roflblack:

Rogue Hawk
12-20-2017, 05:07 PM
It certainly explains the war between liberals and conservatives.

UtahPete
12-20-2017, 05:32 PM
It certainly explains the war between liberals and conservatives.
That's what I thought, too.