PDA

View Full Version : Tailer coupler lock

Brentc
12-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Looking into a good quality coupler lock for my enclosed cargo trailer to try and make it a bit more difficult to mess with, and hopefully less acctractive to thieves. I have done some research and seem to be liking this one below. It’s from proven industries and looks really well made. Curious if anyone has this lock, or if you have something different that would also be comparable.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-5-16-tailer-coupler-locks/products/model-2516?variant=24795909125

Thanks in advance.

trikermutha
12-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Not sure but doesn't look like it will work on certain hitches. More so our cargo trailers :dontknow:

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-17-2017, 01:01 AM
Looks to me like an awfully expensive solution. What I have done, when I was paranoid about someone pulling my trailer away and which I've since decided wasn't worth worrying about, was cut the stud off a hitch ball, put it into the coupler, and padlock the latch. Then I took the safety chains and wrapped them around the tongue and locked them together with a padlock. That way no one could drop the trailer onto their hitch ball nor could they use the safety chains to haul it off. Lot less money than $250 for a one size fits one size coupler lock that still leaves the safety chains hanging loose.

Brentc
12-17-2017, 04:50 AM
The company referenced makes a few different models to cover the different syle hitches out there. This one also incorporates locking the safety chains up under the enclosure, it is demo’d quite well in the video at the website. I know it’s a little more expensive than other solutions, weighing the options :thumbup:

Looks to me like an awfully expensive solution. What I have done, when I was paranoid about someone pulling my trailer away and which I've since decided wasn't worth worrying about, was cut the stud off a hitch ball, put it into the coupler, and padlock the latch. Then I took the safety chains and wrapped them around the tongue and locked them together with a padlock. That way no one could drop the trailer onto their hitch ball nor could they use the safety chains to haul it off. Lot less money than $250 for a one size fits one size coupler lock that still leaves the safety chains hanging loose.

Saluda
12-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Kind of expensive.

Lin
12-19-2017, 09:22 AM
I use a reciever hitch and coupler lock like this one:
http://media.marine-products.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x650/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/r/trimax-trailer-hitch-pin-coupler-lock-keyed-alike-tm.jpg

Planning a long trip next year and want a little more security if disconnecting the trailer, so I'm planning on getting a wheel lock like this:
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8b39e50a-be71-4412-b1ce-e66c0e65f3d7_1.86eee1034d2e4413b7744fa5b193c892.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-19-2017, 09:44 AM
The weak link in any super heavy duty lock is ....... the cylinder inside the lock ...... some can be pulled out with a Body Shop Dent Puller ( aka. a slapper )...... or drilled out with a battery powered drill .... It all depends on how determined the thief want your stuff.... imho, any cheapo alarm ( check e-bay ) will often deter even a determined thief tho .... They HATE Noise, it brings attention to them .... and they Hate that .......... good luck.... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd .....Merry Christmas ....Mike :thumbup: