PDA

View Full Version : 4" Riser Install on Video

Blinc
05-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Ok, I installed the NMN 4" risers today, took about 3 hours in total, maybe less. I thought I would make this very much NOT professional video of the process involved with part of the procedure. Note...I'm not a professional mechanic and this was the first time I had attempted this install, nor am I a very good video taker person, lol, but I do hope this can be of some service for those getting ready to attempt it, or thinking about installing them. It's going to be raining hard all this week here in Florida, so I can't actually experiance these on a long ride, but I did some short rides around the area, and I will admit, I do really like them so far. I was apprehensive about how they would look compared to the racing stock look, but I think its a no issue now, and after cutting the bars, not like I have a choice anyways :-)
This is a 10 minute video, hope you like it.

PS...I made one for the Juicebox and racing air system that I will upload later too for fun.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

tatt2r
05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
looks good but is there a reason you have them mounted straight up and down and not tilted back more ... i believe nmn suggest 23 degree angle it looks like your throttle cable is really tight ...not good.......:dontknow:

fastfraser
05-19-2009, 07:07 PM
:thumbup:Nice job. Love your spider webs and spider. I have the 4" risers as well and found that if you tilted them back towards yourself you can sit more upright, also this allowed me to route the cables behind the risers out of the way and adding a little more slack to the cables. But hey if that is comfortable for you :spyder2: on. None the less :spyder2: looks great.

Blinc
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
looks good but is there a reason you have them mounted straight up and down and not tilted back more ... i believe nmn suggest 23 degree angle it looks like your throttle cable is really tight ...not good.......:dontknow:

I'm not a short person, so that angle works for me, but I will experiment around after this crazy rains stops and I can finally get some hours of ride time in. Throttle cable is fine, I can still pull plenty of slack up.

I was not sure if they are supposed to go in front or back though.

bjt
05-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the video Blinc. I'm expecting my NMN risers later this week and I think its good to see the "walk through" before doing the work. :thumbup:

Lamonster
05-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the video Blinc. I'm expecting my NMN risers later this week and I think its good to see the "walk through" before doing the work. :thumbup:
What, you can't ask your wife how she did it? :D

bjt
05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
What, you can't ask your wife how she did it? :D

:opps: :D

Brevet05
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Blinc,

Just bought my Spyder yesterday, just in time to go TDY (Army training) for a month. I'm 6'6", so the risers seem like they've got to be in my future, but not having done any serious time on the Spyder, I'd be interested in whether you think the full 4" risers are worth the effort and expense, or could you have gone with the BRP 1" riser? Have you noticed any appreciable difference in ride quality, comfort, etc. Thanks!

Brevet05

SSPSpyder
06-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm also 6'6" and the NMN 4" risers are worth every penny! No more back pain, stiff neck or hand cramps.
I truly believe that for us tall people the 1" riser would be a waste of time, effort, and money - in fact many of those who have the 1" later bought the NMN 3" risers to add up to the 4"!
Also, the NMN bars are adjustable forward and back.

jima1153
06-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree. I'm 6'8" and the 4" rise makes a world of difference. You need to order mirror extensions at the same time or your hands will be right in the way of your view.

Blinc
06-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Blinc,

Just bought my Spyder yesterday, just in time to go TDY (Army training) for a month. I'm 6'6", so the risers seem like they've got to be in my future, but not having done any serious time on the Spyder, I'd be interested in whether you think the full 4" risers are worth the effort and expense, or could you have gone with the BRP 1" riser? Have you noticed any appreciable difference in ride quality, comfort, etc. Thanks!

Brevet05

Hi Brevet,

I wanted to wait a while before making a geniune coment on them.
I prefer the stock look, but with the left shoulder pain I would get on long rides, these have in fact, corrected that issue and makes it worth it for sure. The do look fine, don't get me wrong, just depends one ones flavor.
The downside on these is they now block about a third of my mirror view. I purchased the mirror extensions prior to putting the risers on to gain a much better view of what was happening behind me, and now with the risers, I am back to about the same vision I had before. At least I have some view and the pain is mostly gone, so I will keep them. The one change I did make is rotating them back more than what I have in the pics, I think that is what NMN suggest anyways.

Good luck and enjoy!

BumbleBee
06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Got mine ordered the same day I bought my new 2009 spyder, June 12th. I am short and looking forward to the risers. I think I made the right decision of going 4 inches also. Only I am having the dealer put them on for me.:f_spider:

Lamonster
06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi Brevet,

I wanted to wait a while before making a geniune coment on them.
I prefer the stock look, but with the left shoulder pain I would get on long rides, these have in fact, corrected that issue and makes it worth it for sure. The do look fine, don't get me wrong, just depends one ones flavor.
The downside on these is they now block about a third of my mirror view. I purchased the mirror extensions prior to putting the risers on to gain a much better view of what was happening behind me, and now with the risers, I am back to about the same vision I had before. At least I have some view and the pain is mostly gone, so I will keep them. The one change I did make is rotating them back more than what I have in the pics, I think that is what NMN suggest anyways.

Good luck and enjoy!

There will be a fix for that shortly. :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=325&pictureid=2857

Trickie Dick
06-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Blinc,

Brevet05

welcome Nice to have you aboard. Thanks for your service to our country. I am also 6'6" and have the 4" risers from NMN. I highly recommend them. Takes alot of pressure off your wrists when riding and gives you better steering control as well.
Dick

Blinc
06-21-2009, 10:06 PM
There will be a fix for that shortly. :doorag:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=325&pictureid=2857

Sweeeet! Can't wait for something like that :-)

Brevet05
06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Okay, looks like I'll have to go get that second job after all. Given all the extra work I'm going to do to get this thing right, I don't know when I'll get to ride it! Given that we're in the midst of a drought here in South Texas, I can't even count on the odd rainy day to put in the mods. Well, hurricane season can't be too far off...

Thanks for all the advice!

ataDude
06-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Blinc,

Brevet05

Welcome to the site and thanks for your service! welcome:congrats:

Brevet05
06-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks again for the warm welcome! I've not seen any Spyders yet in San Antonio, so this will likely be my primary source of good ideas for my new ride.
You needn't thank me for my service, because the Army been berry berry good to me! I've been in since 1980 (enlisted right out of high school) and have really had a great time. I spent last year in Iraq, which was professionally rewarding, although it was hard being away from family for that long, but I've also gotten to ski in Switzerland, set off large quantities of explosives, parachute and rappel out of perfectly good aircraft, complete a doctorate in History, compete in international competitions, float 70 ton tanks across the Rhein/Main/Mosel/Danube and Elbe Rivers, carry several hundred thousand dollars in Iraqi currency in two large sacks, and work with the finest young men and women imaginable. Is this a great country, or what!
:yes:

Okay, I'm back to thinking about Spyders...

fastfraser
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the site and thanks for your service! welcome:congrats:

:agree::2thumbs:

Dragonrider
07-17-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm interested in the angles you are using - I have the BRP +1 and the NMN +3, set at 30 degrees. Where are yours??

Questions
08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi. Thanks for the video. I would never attempt this without such help. When purchasing the riser, it specifically asks if you have the 1" factory riser installed. I do not know, but I think I would prefer to have the 1 " riser then the 3 " so it looks less dramatic of an alteration.

How do I know if I have the riser (I suspect I do not)?
How do I install the 1" riser?

Thanks Much :)

Blinc
08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi. Thanks for the video. I would never attempt this without such help. When purchasing the riser, it specifically asks if you have the 1" factory riser installed. I do not know, but I think I would prefer to have the 1 " riser then the 3 " so it looks less dramatic of an alteration.

Call NMN, great guys there and they can answer that question properly for you. Regarding how to install the 1", if you choose to go that route, my 2 cents would be to pay the dealer to do it for you as I hear its a royal headache.

NancysToy
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM

I recently installed the 3" ESI (NMN) risers after the 1" BRP unit was originally installed by the dealer when we purchased the Spyder. My wife is short, and needs quite a bit of tilt back to the risers with the new BRP seat that places her back further. The shorter risers left the clutch master cylinder at more of an angle than I would have liked, ideally. Not a problem, though. If I had removed the 1" riser and used the ESI 4" instead, there would be slightly less angle with the bars in the same position. Not sure this would have been worth the effort. Either riser works quite well. I would not go to the effort of installing a BRP riser and then the 3" in one step. The difference in looks isn't that great, and it would not be worth the extra effort, IMO.

Yol Bolsun
09-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Have 4" risers in hand.

? - where do I cut the exist pipes/handlebars? Flush with mounted riser or just a tad shy?

NancysToy
09-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Have 4" risers in hand.

? - where do I cut the exist pipes/handlebars? Flush with mounted riser or just a tad shy?
The instructions call for temporarily installing the risers and using them to mark the handlebars for cutting. That makes them flush. When you reinstall, you can adjust the risers slightly to recess them a bit if you prefer. If you use a hacksaw to cut the bars, cut them wide and file square to fit. A pipe cutter can cut on the line.

Yol Bolsun
09-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks Scotty,

I read "At this point you should mark your bar (where?) and cut the end off." (Spyder Handlebar Risers (http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyder%20risers.pdf))
and "Slide riser onto the stock bar and mark the bar at the proper length." (Spyder Easy Risers (http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spydereasyrisers.pdf))

instruction sheets several times and could not determine what the 'proper length' was. The assumption is "flush" but I learned a long time ago to assume nothing. ESI's instructions should be a bit more precise.

NancysToy
09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks Scotty,

I read "At this point you should mark your bar (where?) and cut the end off." (Spyder Handlebar Risers (http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spyder risers.pdf))
and "Slide riser onto the stock bar and mark the bar at the proper length." (Spyder Easy Risers (http://www.esicycleproducts.com/spydereasyrisers.pdf))

instruction sheets several times and could not determine what the 'proper length' was. The assumption is "flush" but I learned a long time ago to assume nothing. ESI's instructions should be a bit more precise.
You can't really mark them in a recessed position. No place to draw the line with the risers on there...LOL. You can mark them there and cut them short...or even leave a stub so you can attach accessories there later. There are no rules.

trucknrn
10-09-2011, 09:03 PM
All I can say is where in the h*** is the risers for my rts?

Dick!:ani29: