PDA

View Full Version : Heated gloves vs grips

ARNIE R
12-12-2017, 12:42 PM
I hope I am not opening a can of worms with this question. I am wondering if you had a choice of either heated grips (BRPs or any other brand) or heated gloves (12v either Gerbring or otherwise), which would you choose and what might your pros and cons be of your selection?

I have been researching both and there seems to be as many opinions as to selections available.

No fighting, please. :popcorn:

Bob Denman
12-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Heated Grips!
1. They're already there, and hooked up for you.
2. No dangling power cords
3. Nothing else needs to be purchased

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
12-12-2017, 12:56 PM
but heated grips have to heat up through your gloves

11rtLTD
12-12-2017, 12:57 PM
BOTH!
That way you can take the gloves with you to your truck and keep your hands warm there too!

easysuper
12-12-2017, 01:41 PM
My wife uses both, she has a pair of battery gloves and a pair of wired gloves that go with her heated jacket and pants and if it gets colder she also has a pair of snowmobile boots, we have rode all day and the temp never got above 32. She will ride as long as she can stay warm. All I use are the heated grips and a heated jacket liner.

cruisinTX
12-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Based on commuting almost daily on a motorcycle for the last 16 years, here are things to consider then make the choice that makes the most sense to you and your bank account.

1. Heated grips only warm the palms of your hands.
2. Most heated gloves only warm the backs of your hands (where the wind is hitting).
3. Higher-end and more expensive heated gloves warm all the way around.
4. With heated grips you have no wiring to contend with; very convenient if a factory install
5. Heated gloves warming the backs or all of your hands are by far the best way to keep your hands warm
6. Using ski glove liners with metal woven into the fabric with either will enhance the warming effect as the metal conducts heat all around your hands no matter the source.
7. Heated grips usually only have two settings; hi and lo
8. Most heated glove controllers have an infinite number of settings from barely on to full power with use of a rheostat.

Chupaca
12-12-2017, 02:30 PM
On your ryde and your wind protection. I ryde an RS with a small windshield and have to say that neither my Butt or my palms get cold. The gloves are the way to go for me. I use the heated gloves and a headed jacket liner with a dual control. You will need more heat in the gloves than in the liner. The wife has a single control as she can tuck her hands in behind me. :thumbup:

pegasus1300
12-12-2017, 02:40 PM
If your ride doesn't already have heated grips then I think The heated clothing (gloves) will be the easiest solution for you and you will get the most bang for the buck/effort. If you already have heated grips what do you think? Are they enough for the riding you do or do you need more? My RT came with heated grips and I have heated gloves as well and it is really nice. I really like that set up. I bought my gloves from Warm and Safe as well as their controller. If you are an AMA member,Warm and Safe will give you and 18% discount. I also think BajaRon sells 1st Gear heated clothing which is made by Warm and Safe at a really good price and his service is great.

asp125
12-12-2017, 02:42 PM
I prefer heated grips, because most heated gloves seem too puffy (like ski gloves) and I like the tactile feel of my "summer" gloves. But that isn't to say if it gets really cold, then heated gloves are the way to go. But both work way better if there's a way to keep wind off your hands.

ofdave
12-12-2017, 03:33 PM
had heated grips on a BMW a while back.
Nice to have warm hands but only your palms get warm. Wound up frequently
holding the back of my hand against the grips to get them warm.
Headed glove liners would be my choice. Those on the market today have heat in the fingers as well as the palm and back of the hand. They fit under many regular gloves and when things warm up, just take off the liners.
There are battery and hard wired options.
If you look, don't forget to check ski stores or snowmobile stores too.
Motorcycle riders aren't the only people whose hands get cold.

asp125
12-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Related question: Battery or hard wire power?

Battery: portable, useable for other activities like hunting or winter outings, shorter life without recharges, no drain on electrical system.
Hard wire: always powered, but cumbersome if you have multiple bikes to wire up, could tax electrical system.

ARtraveler
12-12-2017, 04:09 PM
So far, have only used the heated grips on the :f_spider:'s. Don't like the wires of the heated gear--so do not own any of it. I find the grips work best with thinner gloves. When I put the "good stuff" on, not much effect. :thumbup:

hypurone
12-12-2017, 04:35 PM
BOTH!
That way you can take the gloves with you to your truck and keep your hands warm there too! This! :2thumbs:

It is the main reason I purchased battery powered gloves and jacket liner (Gerbing 7v). They can go on the move and solve issues in different situations.... I got the grips done to add a level of flexibility. I can wear thinner gloves more of the time when it is cold and my summer gloves much more of the time when I ride thru micro-climates and not have to stop and change them out to something heavier.

JKMSPYDER
12-12-2017, 05:16 PM
My Spyder has heated grips but the back of my hands and fingers would still get cold because there was nothing to block the wind. I had some winter gloves but my hands still got cold. Last year I bought some heated glove liners from BajaRon and those did the trick. Now my hands are toasty no matter what the temp is. I have ridden in 20 degree weather and my hands stayed warm. The liners came with a separate thermostat operating on bluetooth that I can keep in my pocket.

ruralgirl
12-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Heated grips! I can't stand any fabric between my skin and my grips on my RT, especially on the left where the SE6 paddle and the control cluster are. So, I made a pair of "hand covers" out of Windbloc fleece (I buy it by the yard for various cold weather stuff). I sewed two layers together (just on top, not between the fingers) to double the effect, and it's working well. My heated grips on Low and my windshield keep the tops of my fingers warm enough that I can't complain. Here are a couple of pics:

r1100rider
12-12-2017, 09:23 PM
I prefer heated grips, because most heated gloves seem too puffy (like ski gloves) and I like the tactile feel of my "summer" gloves. But that isn't to say if it gets really cold, then heated gloves are the way to go. But both work way better if there's a way to keep wind off your hands.
I use heated glove liners because I wear out my winter gloves fast they smash out the insulation then I pull the inside liner out and cut the liner out then use the shell, wear them out and save the expense heated liner from the wear plus I can put the liner inside of various levels of shells

ARNIE R
12-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Many thanks to all that replied. Your different opinions are interesting and are helpful to me at the same time.:cheers:

SpyderAnn01
12-13-2017, 12:16 AM
In an RT my answer would be heated grips for sure. They have a high and low setting and worked quite well even with foam grip covers. The F3T is another story, I have ridden on one with the heated grips (BRP add ons) and they didn’t work well at all. I have purchased heated gloves, and I’m hoping that they will keep my hands toasty.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-13-2017, 12:18 AM
If you can use them mittens are the best. Less fabric surface area for your fingers to lose the heat through. Next would be the "three finger" mitten/glove where your index finger has its own glove finger and the other three are in a mitten like finger.

GOZFST
12-13-2017, 12:56 AM
Heated glove liners are my first choice. Like others have said the back of my hands still get hold with heated grips, plus I find myself gripping the bars tighter to get the benefit of the heated grips and as we know that makes handling the Spyder more difficult and tiring.

Little Blue
12-13-2017, 05:02 AM
Heated gloves and heated socks the best way to go. Battery power for complete mobility. Happy COLD weather SPYDER riding. Little Blue:yes::yes::yes::yes:

jnt
12-13-2017, 10:33 AM
We do both. Reasons above. The passenger handles are heated, too (at least on ours). Gloves are nice on longer rides so I can take a hand off to relax.

Docster
12-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Based on commuting almost daily on a motorcycle for the last 16 years, here are things to consider then make the choice that makes the most sense to you and your bank account.

1. Heated grips only warm the palms of your hands.
2. Most heated gloves only warm the backs of your hands (where the wind is hitting).
3. Higher-end and more expensive heated gloves warm all the way around.
4. With heated grips you have no wiring to contend with; very convenient if a factory install
5. Heated gloves warming the backs or all of your hands are by far the best way to keep your hands warm
6. Using ski glove liners with metal woven into the fabric with either will enhance the warming effect as the metal conducts heat all around your hands no matter the source.
7. Heated grips usually only have two settings; hi and lo
8. Most heated glove controllers have an infinite number of settings from barely on to full power with use of a rheostat.

I second the above. First, most things in life are rarely either/or. Also, heated grips will be of little help when the temps are in teens or single digits. I ride year 'round in Maryland, would never consider not having heated gloves in winter. The grips are just a bonus.

Peteoz
12-13-2017, 05:47 PM
We are very lucky out here in Oz where the minimum winter temps we ride in, early morning, are around 32F. This means that with the heated F3-L grips and a pair of gloves with “Outlast” technology, (such as Lee Parks PCI gloves) you can remain very comfortable at these temps and still have a good feel on the bars. They also work well up to around 75F, so they are well worth their premium price.

Pete

cruisinTX
12-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Heated glove liners are my first choice. Like others have said the back of my hands still get hold with heated grips, plus I find myself gripping the bars tighter to get the benefit of the heated grips and as we know that makes handling the Spyder more difficult and tiring.

gripping tight is counter-productive to keeping warm as tight muscles and tissues slow circulation by constricting blood vessels, therefore inhibiting the warming effects of the grips.

wd8ajj
12-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Both.
I have a set of battery gloves and with the grips, hands never freeze

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-13-2017, 10:28 PM
you can remain very comfortable at these temps and still have a good feel on the bars.
You did mean to say "in" the bars, right? :roflblack: