PDA

View Full Version : Storing spyder

Rookiespyder
12-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Hello, when people in the North are storing there Spyder away for the winter, does anyone put it up on blocks to take weight off the tires and suspension. If so where do you put the jack underneath to raise it. Thanks

Mazo EMS2
12-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Hello, when people in the North are storing there Spyder away for the winter, does anyone put it up on blocks to take weight off the tires and suspension. If so where do you put the jack underneath to raise it. Thanks

Makes no sense to do so if ya ask me. It was designed to ride on its wheels and suspension....if it can't sit still on its suspension for a few months, I wouldn't suggest riding down any rough roads when it gets nice out.:shocked:

Bob Denman
12-10-2017, 05:19 PM
:agree:... But I DO pump the tires up to 35 psi at all corners, and roll the bike up onto some raised carpet pads.

Mazo EMS2
12-10-2017, 06:34 PM
:agree:... But I DO pump the tires up to 35 psi at all corners, and roll the bike up onto some raised carpet pads.

:agree:Ditto on the extra air pressure for storage.

oldguyinTX
12-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Yep, same here, plus the Battery tender and dryer sheets (mice don't like them) stuck all around under the Tupperware and storage spaces.

RZ-Jackrabbit
12-10-2017, 10:59 PM
About keeping the rodents out Fresh Cab is a product that works.

Chupaca
12-10-2017, 11:22 PM
But if you want to...under the back end of the A arm close to frame and under rear shock...but carpet and added pressure should do the trick...:thumbup:

kep-up
12-11-2017, 08:06 AM
I tend to go all out when I put my RSS up for the winter. I assemble the tent, drive the RSS into the tent, connect the battery tender, close the tent.

Then if/when I decide to ride it, I open the tent, disconnect the battery tender, back it out of the tent, close the tent and take off. When I return from wherever, I simply start the process over again.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: All is good!

Bob Denman
12-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Oh! One more thing: the issue of covering your bike (or not).

I'm of the opinion (and that's all that it is...), that it's better to NOT cover a bike.
Here's why:
All sorts of creepy-crawlers are looking for dark, quiet places to wait out the Winter...
I'd rather not provide them with one.
You also have the potential concern of a cover holding in any moisture.

Dust is easily removed when the Ryding Season finally returns. :D

Deanna777
12-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Change your oil, before putting into storage.

Put your battery on a maintainer/Tender ( I use a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. 12 Volt/ 750mA , switches Automatically from Charge to Float!).

Deanna

JAS POWER
12-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Oh! One more thing: the issue of covering your bike (or not).

I'm of the opinion (and that's all that it is...), that it's better to NOT cover a bike.
Here's why:
All sorts of creepy-crawlers are looking for dark, quiet places to wait out the Winter...
I'd rather not provide them with one.
You also have the potential concern of a cover holding in any moisture.

Dust is easily removed when the Ryding Season finally returns. :D

EXCELLENT points Bob :2thumbs:

I was thinking of covering my Spyder will save some money and skip the cover :yes:.

Thanks

Brentc
12-11-2017, 05:54 PM

Bob, what’s the purpose of the raised carpet squares? And also where did you get them?

Bob Denman
12-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Of course... :shocked: If you've got cats roaming around, that might like to crawl up into the saddle: you'll have to find a way to discourage them... :gaah:

Little Blue
12-13-2017, 05:13 AM
Like most everyone has stated. I also do a clean and polish. Put in gas stabilizer and then Pray for a Very short winter season. Merry Christmas to ALL. Little Blue :pray::pray:

Bob Denman
12-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Bob, what’s the purpose of the raised carpet squares? And also where did you get them?
Hi Brent!
I've got a concrete floor in my garage that always seems to find ways to "sweat"... :banghead:
I took some 12" square pieces of plywood, and stapled/glued some pieces of all-weather carpeting to them.
It raises the bike up out of the wetness...
Easy-Peasey! :2thumbs:

Big F
12-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Nope, never have put my Spyder up on blocks. Mine sits in my garage with the tender on and covered until I wake it up in the spring. I'm going to wake mine up early this next year as i'm trading for a new 2018 RT Limited which is due in January????????? My dealer has received an acknowledgement but no delivery date as yet..
BIG F

Docster
12-13-2017, 04:43 PM
What's the difference between riding the Spyder throughout the winter or having it in a she'd? It's still sitting on 3 wheels. Focus more on the maintenance suggested for storage.

Docster
12-13-2017, 04:45 PM
What's the difference between riding the Spyder throughout the winter or having it in a shed? It's a modern machine with modern equipment and it's still sitting on 3 wheels. Focus more on the maintenance suggested for storage.

Bob Denman
12-13-2017, 06:33 PM
In my case: it's about keeping it off of the salted and sanded roads! :yikes:
Besides: my garage is heated! :D

asp125
12-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Winter is when I ride it MORE! Due to two wheelers not liking the sand and mag chloride. My garage is insulated and I have a small heater, so the bikes just get parked and connected to a battery tender. Longest "hibernation" I recall was somewhere around 4-6 weeks. We get mid winter "heat waves", when it's sunny and 60* out, that's when the itch to ride says take the Spyder out.

SteveP
12-13-2017, 07:44 PM
I don't store mine in my garage because it's full of much other stuff since I'm a contractor. I did build a platform from pallets with plywood on top for my Spyder and tractor . I just change the oil , put a little Stabil in the full tank , hook up a battery tender and put my outdoor cover on it . I also use a few bounce sheets in various places to discourage nibblers and move the bike forward or back once a month to roll the tires . Last year it was warm enough ( and roads clear) to go for a 30 kilometre Ryde in January. 🛵

JAS POWER
12-18-2017, 01:55 PM

I was wondering what is the purpose of inflating the tires to 35 psi :dontknow:

Mazo EMS2
12-18-2017, 02:14 PM
I was wondering what is the purpose of inflating the tires to 35 psi :dontknow:

Sitting in the cold for extended time will cause the tires to lose a bit of pressure. It's just so the tires stay up to pressure. Chances are you'll need to actually let a bit of air out for the first ride in the spring, but that sure beats having a low tire that could potentially roll off the rim if it didn't get noticed

JAS POWER
12-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Sitting in the cold for extended time will cause the tires to lose a bit of pressure. It's just so the tires stay up to pressure. Chances are you'll need to actually let a bit of air out for the first ride in the spring, but that sure beats having a low tire that could potentially roll off the rim if it didn't get noticed

That was the only thing my brain could come up with as well, but I thought I would check just in case I'm not as smart as I believe!