PDA

View Full Version : MY 917 RE-BUILD THREAD CONTINUED

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-27-2017, 07:04 PM
I last reported that I plan to cut the body in half and lengthen the rear by 12 to 14 inches, also the frame needs to stretched the same amount ..... New news - the front suspension is a modified VW bug torsion bar unit ... the bars were removed and coil-overs and a sway bar replaced the OEM unit .... I 'm going the widen the front end by 6 inches so the tires will come closer to the body, it looks silly the way it is now .... I was on a Sand-Rail web site and learned it was pretty common to do this Mod ... lots of pics and instructions on how to :yes::yes:..... Today I received my two 700lb pulley's and 3/16th " wire rope ( this is the flexible type ) ... I have made the LIFTING frame from some ordinary BED FRAME 2in. angle iron .. the steel yard people told me this stuff is actually about 1 1/2 times stronger than normal angle iron. because it's tempered steel :dontknow:...... I already had a heavy duty Boat winch that I'm mounting on the wall ....now I'll be able to lift the body from the chassis with one hand :roflblack::roflblack: ....cutting will commence soon ..... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
All this and no pictures to go along with it....Way to go :2thumbs: looks like your lining things up nicely, keep us up to date...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-27-2017, 07:14 PM
After reading that, I think I need a drink. And I am not the one going to cut the Porsche in pieces. :roflblack::roflblack:

Please keep us updated. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

JerryB
11-27-2017, 08:21 PM
Hi Mike,

Re: MY 917 RE-BUILD THREAD CONTINUED (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?109653-MY-917-RE-BUILD-THREAD-CONTINUED)

I am enjoying your updates, keep them coming.

Re: the steel yard people told me this stuff is actually about 1 1/2 times stronger than normal angle iron. because it's tempered steel

I've worked with structural steel designers and fabricators for my entire engineering career.

Please tell me that you are not listening to these idiots at the steel yard.

It might work, but I would go bigger; but that's just the engineer in me.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And I did get an 'A' in my Metalurgy class many, many years ago.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-27-2017, 09:32 PM
All this and no pictures to go along with it....Way to go :2thumbs: looks like your lining things up nicely, keep us up to date...:thumbup:
Gene when I actually do any of this work .....I WILL TAKE PICS ...:thumbup::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rofl black:......Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Hi Mike,

Re: MY 917 RE-BUILD THREAD CONTINUED (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?109653-MY-917-RE-BUILD-THREAD-CONTINUED)

I am enjoying your updates, keep them coming.

Re: the steel yard people told me this stuff is actually about 1 1/2 times stronger than normal angle iron. because it's tempered steel

I've worked with structural steel designers and fabricators for my entire engineering career.

Please tell me that you are not listening to these idiots at the steel yard.

It might work, but I would go bigger; but that's just the engineer in me.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And I did get an 'A' in my Metalurgy class many, many years ago. Jerry, My terminology may be in-correct , it was quite a while ago that I learned this .... If you have ever tried drilling a hole or cutting it, you would now what I'm talking about , and the steel yard guy is a long time friend ...... plus the body is only about 650lbs .... and any signs of failure will stop the lifting ... but Thanks for the info & advice ..... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Mike
Just remember that it's better to "over"-engineer something; than to "under"-engineer it... nojoke
:lecturef_smilie: Try to not take any chances, that could get you hurt! :shocked:

pitzerwm
11-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Mike

:lecturef_smilie: Try to not take any chances, that could get you hurt! :shocked:

Mike is bulletproof, no need to worry.

Bob Denman
11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
:D I know that; I'm just not sure if he's "Squish-Proof" also... :shocked: