PDA

View Full Version : $10K Spyders for 2019

MisterP
11-20-2017, 01:03 PM
I probably missed an earlier post or announcement, but I saw someone mention they are waiting for the 2019s at $10K.

Can someone fill fill me in on what Spyders would be available for that price?

Motorcycledave
11-20-2017, 01:51 PM
I also saw that, I think he will be waiting for a long time for a 10K Spyder
maybe a used 2008-9-10 model

I probably missed an earlier post or announcement, but I saw someone mention they are waiting for the 2019s at $10K.

robhowen
11-20-2017, 01:59 PM
I hear that the dealers have been told a $10K Spyder is coming in 2019. I'm hearing on a different platform than either the F3 or RT. I know no details or even what is true/not true.. Those that do can reply and enlighten us all.

Rob

Bob Denman
11-20-2017, 02:18 PM
There will be few details available until next year... :banghead:
Project S is coming...
But you'll have to do some sleuthing on your own, to find any information about them
BRP will keep the lid on this one!

loisk
11-20-2017, 02:59 PM
At the last model launch in September brp announced that they are working on Project S, a sub 10k spyder, to be announced next September.

It is real, but we shall all have to wait for any detail.

ARtraveler
11-20-2017, 03:04 PM
I am thinking it was a joke to convince the wife to let him get a second spyder. He got rid of two beemers.

I helped reinforce the $10K in case wifey was reading his post.

It would be nice if real. But I am thinking not much :ani29: for that money. You do want a seat and handlebars? Right. :roflblack::roflblack:

EDIT: Posted before Lois K above in #5. She says yes. :bowdown:

I am sure something can be done. You remember the Chinese Knock Offs that sold for about $3K a few years back.

Having ridden the top of the line...I do not think I will be in the market for the new--regardless.

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Nokesy
11-20-2017, 03:07 PM

I think it come with peddles, really good on gas:yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-20-2017, 03:49 PM
I also saw that, I think he will be waiting for a long time for a 10K Spyder
maybe a used 2008-9-10 model
I think the rumors are that BRP is going to bring out an economy version of the Spyder priced in the $10k range next year. But like all rumors, they're as solid as a white cloud in a blue sky!

Malathion
11-20-2017, 04:15 PM
If one looks at what Brp. did in the PWC line with the spark, this is almost a done deal. Affordable ,low power and fun, exactly what a roadster should be.

loisk
11-20-2017, 04:17 PM
This "rumour" was started by brp themselves at the September new model launch - complete with bells and whistles, filmed even, seen it myself... More than a rumour I would have thought...

Saluda
11-20-2017, 04:25 PM
If one looks at what Brp did in the PWC line with the Spark, this is almost a done deal. Affordable ,low power and fun, exactly what a roadster should be.

Just what my dealer told me. He's kind of excited. Hoping again to bring in some younger riders. He also said as with the Spark, don't expect the same ride.

Slowpoke387
11-20-2017, 09:51 PM
They will obviously have to cut major corners to get to that price point. Personally i would be concerned about the quality. I'm guessing a smaller displacement engine which isnt a bad thing but what else would have to be sacrificed? Aluminum parts replaced with steel, a basic no frills gauge package, super basic suspension, much simpler software, etc. would be a few guesses.

Chupaca
11-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Imagine what you would have left if you took $20,000.00 off your RT or $10,00.00 off your F3...:dontknow: not much..... the hounds are leaving the room muttering.." we're not pulling him around..!!"...:roflblack::roflblack:

4 MARIE
11-20-2017, 11:19 PM
If one looks at what Brp. did in the PWC line with the spark, this is almost a done deal. Affordable ,low power and fun, exactly what a roadster should be.

yes, the new sub 10k Spyder will in fact be based on the Spark. It will be call the "Park" which is what it will do best.

PapaHotel
11-21-2017, 12:24 AM
Here it is, looks pretty basic to me......155753

loisk
11-21-2017, 03:05 AM
I for one wish brp every success with Project S.

More sales equals a better dealer network for existing riders too.

Not everyone needs or wants high cc - indeed for the first three years of a motorcycle license Victorian riders are limited to 650cc. Not everyone can justify a high dollar spend, either.

Whatever it is, it will broaden the range, a good thing I would think.

Spider-man
11-21-2017, 08:49 AM
http://spyderlife.net/2017/11/17/new-lower-cost-spyder/

Bob Denman
11-21-2017, 08:51 AM
I for one wish brp every success with Project S.

More sales equals a better dealer network for existing riders too.

Not everyone needs or wants high cc - indeed for the first three years of a motorcycle license Victorian riders are limited to 650cc. Not everyone can justify a high dollar spend, either.

Whatever it is, it will broaden the range, a good thing I would think.

:agree: :clap: :2thumbs:

jcthorne
11-21-2017, 10:27 AM
A few things I think will be seen on the new Project S to get down to that $9,999 price point.

An open frame look with minimal body panels and little to no storage.

A smaller 2 cylinder engine, likely the 600 used in some of the Skidoos. Likely paired with a 5 speed manual trans and a clutch without power assist.

No power steering and a much simplified single channel vehicle stability control system. IE safe but much more intrusive when activated.

Perhaps even loss of ABS brakes although I am less sure how this one would effect the overall design.

No radio, minimal gage cluster, no cruise control, basic lighting. Steel wheels?

Bob Denman
11-21-2017, 10:52 AM
:D I'll bet that they use a CVT tranny. :thumbup:

F650624
11-21-2017, 11:52 AM
There were 2 BRP reps (2 guys that said they were BRP) at the recent "Spyders in the Hills" event in Boerne, TX. Both would say that BRP was going to announce a sub-$10,000 Spyder in late 2018. The new Spyder would be for around town and short commuter ryders. Both said exactly the same thing about the price and intended use. It was as if they were quoting from the same script, and that is all that they would say. Government beaurocrats should take lessons from the BRP reps on how to keep a secret. Rotax does have a multitude of engine/transmission combinations already in production. Many of these have been around long enough to have reduced their design, production and emissions testing costs. Anything we discuss here is simply conjecture.

Bob Denman
11-21-2017, 12:46 PM
We'll all have to keep our eyes peeled, and hope that someone comes across a "Spy-Shot" from the motorcycling press... :pray:

ARtraveler
11-21-2017, 03:44 PM

Time will tell. BRP has done a good job so far of keeping a lid on actual information and specs. So far, we only know the price point.

All the information above is speculation, but IMO--pretty close to being in the ballpark. Removing 1/2 to 1/3 of the "fluff" from either the RT or the F3 is going to leave a pretty basic machine.

BRP is looking for a younger market and hoping they can get them to "upgrade" to whatever will be offered at a later time. Will it work? Time will tell.

I have driven enough MC's over the years, that an entry level bike is way out of my desires. I have become to familiarized with the Cadillac type ride. My new 900cc, $7K Vulcan is about as "basic" as I am willing to go. I know that I can jump on that one and drive anywhere in the US, safely, happy, and comfortable.

I am still an RT fan. My 2014 RT-S is not going anywhere. I feel the same about it too. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
11-21-2017, 03:57 PM
:agree: Time will tell the tale...

Deanna777
11-21-2017, 05:05 PM
I hear that the dealers have been told a $10K Spyder is coming in 2019. I'm hearing on a different platform than either the F3 or RT. I know no details or even what is true/not true.. Those that do can reply and enlighten us all.

RobI heard the same thing, $10K for a spyder in 2019.

Deanna

Deanna777
11-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Time will tell. BRP has done a good job so far of keeping a lid on actual information and specs. So far, we only know the price point.

All the information above is speculation, but IMO--pretty close to being in the ballpark. Removing 1/2 to 1/3 of the "fluff" from either the RT or the F3 is going to leave a pretty basic machine.

BRP is looking for a younger market and hoping they can get them to "upgrade" to whatever will be offered at a later time. Will it work? Time will tell.

I have driven enough MC's over the years, that an entry level bike is way out of my desires. I have become to familiarized with the Cadillac type ride. My new 900cc, $7K Vulcan is about as "basic" as I am willing to go. I know that I can jump on that one and drive anywhere in the US, safely, happy, and comfortable.

I am still an RT fan. My 2014 RT-S is not going anywhere. I feel the same about it too. :yes::yes:I am also a fan of the RT, and my 2014RTS-SE6 is not going anywhere.

Time will tell on what the 2019Spyders will look like, we will all have to wait and see!

Deanna

ARtraveler
11-21-2017, 07:51 PM

REF: Probably the original post & reply you are referring to.

All good advice above. Since there have been beemers in the garage, I don't think a second :spyder2: will be an issue. Those 2019 $10K prices should not be an issue. :roflblack::roflblack:

Enjoy, and continue to ride. Here is to many miles and smiles. :coffee::coffee: or :cheers::cheers:

Sarge707
11-21-2017, 09:25 PM
As someone who went from a 255HP Supercharged Sea Doo RXT-X to a 90 HP Sea Doo Spark I can tell you this-
The 255HP took 16 Gallons in 2 Hours going 65 MPH- Where the Spark Goes 3 Hours at 50 MPH for 6-7 Gallons?
The Spark is actually More fun because it is SO Manuverable and the 3 cylinder ACE 900 engine puts out 90 HP which is What they could use for the Economy Spyder? nojoke

Bob Denman
11-22-2017, 07:45 AM
They most likely won't use the triple: they'll use the 600cc twin instead. :thumbup:

quasi
11-22-2017, 08:49 AM
They most likely won't use the triple: they'll use the 600cc twin instead. :thumbup:

and with the proper gearing it'll likely run like a scalded dog!

Bob Denman
11-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Yup! :thumbup:

spydernatic
11-22-2017, 10:04 AM

Exactly what I was thinking if you look at the spark it is a skeleton of their big machines but it is a fun machine and very affordable for anyone wanting get into the Jet ski water fun so I agree BRP will do this.

Tazzel
11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
I think its a good thing to bring in a low cost model but if it were me I would just offer a private owner 10k to 11k for a 3 year old F3. That's about what dealers offer for trade in of a 3 year old F3 even with low miles.

Bob Denman
11-22-2017, 10:32 AM
You CAN purchase a used Spyder for that amount...:dontknow:
But BRP is trying to grow their share in the new unit marketplace, and it sounds as if "Project S" will accomplish that! :clap: :2thumbs:

wyliec
11-22-2017, 11:54 AM
You CAN purchase a used Spyder for that amount...:dontknow:
But BRP is trying to grow their share in the new unit marketplace, and it sounds as if "Project S" will accomplish that! :clap: :2thumbs:

Bob D,

Based on the younger crowd where I workout out, I don't see this going over. Maybe it's because I don't see them hurting for money. On the other hand, maybe if they work at McDonald's, there may be an interest. Where I work and where I workout, I just see quite a few of the younger crowd with disposable income that would not make this of any interest to them.:dontknow:

IMHO, the younger crowd, 20-35 years old (maybe 40), would be more interested in a 2 wheeler.

Bob Denman
11-22-2017, 12:11 PM
:shocked: In my neck of the woods: the kids aren't that lucky... nojoke
It's about more than the price... Ease of operation, lower maintenance costs, better maneuverability, lighter weight, simpler design...
A "Beginner's bike should be designed will ALL of these factors in mind. :thumbup:

wyliec
11-22-2017, 12:28 PM
:shocked: In my neck of the woods: the kids aren't that lucky... nojoke
It's about more than the price... Ease of operation, lower maintenance costs, better maneuverability, lighter weight, simpler design...
A "Beginner's bike should be designed will ALL of these factors in mind. :thumbup:

I agree with all that you said. The problem is that of what I would call the typical Spyder rider, and that is one in their 50's and older with various health issues. That doesn't present a good picture to attract the younger crowd. And, before anyone gets their panties in a knot, I'm not saying all have health issues (including hips/knees/shoulders/ankles/prosthetics); what I am saying is that someone who comes on here for the first time will get a dose of health issues on any given day. JMHO

Bob Denman
11-22-2017, 12:41 PM
There's no doubt that the Reverse Trike design appeals to those of us with a few challenges...
But with some proper marketing: "ease of use" would certainly be a strong selling-point to newbies! :2thumbs:

blacklightning
11-22-2017, 02:49 PM
This whole $10k spyder thing makes me think of Harley and their 500cc bikes that they have come out with. I was in our local dealership and got a chance to see one up close. For me, I think it would be hard to pay for a new bike like this when I could purchase a nicer, larger displacement one for the same money, but a couple of years old. I think that spyder shoppers will probably be the same way. But I do wish them the best.
I am still believing that the RS and RSS was a better way to get the younger market.

Bob Denman
11-22-2017, 03:13 PM
That shiny "New Bike Smell", and valuable new bike warranty; is often a nice incentive for a beginner to the sport.:thumbup:

loisk
11-22-2017, 06:02 PM
This whole $10k spyder thing makes me think of Harley and their 500cc bikes that they have come out with. I was in our local dealership and got a chance to see one up close. For me, I think it would be hard to pay for a new bike like this when I could purchase a nicer, larger displacement one for the same money, but a couple of years old. I think that spyder shoppers will probably be the same way. But I do wish them the best.
I am still believing that the RS and RSS was a better way to get the younger market.

The Harley 500cc is a BIG seller here - then brand loyalty kicks in and they buy bigger cc Harley later.

New riders here are limited to 650cc and a certain PTW ratio for three years.

New riders may also like the comfort of a new bike with warranty

Many reasons to prefer new...

cheska
11-24-2017, 12:47 AM
Reading this thread reminds me of the early F3 threads lots of negative comments. Now many of those same people are riding F3's
and loving it. A smaller lighter machine that a younger person can customize may be the ticket to more sales. How many of you
(if you can remember back that far :rolleyes:) remember your first bike? You probably made it yours as many have with their expensive
Spyders. I personally might wnt one just to play with. Time will tell. Enjoy Bob

zsisk
11-24-2017, 01:32 AM
I am new to the Spyder world with my newly bought 08 GS. I love it so far. At some point I will get an F3 or RT. But I will say no matter which I have in 2019, I would have no problems buying a second one for $10K or less. My reason would be because it will likely be more economical for commuting. I would use the 2019 for my 60 mile round trip commute to save some gas as well as miles on the other one I would have. I would use the RT or F3 for trips and when the wife or kids wanted to ride.

Bob Denman
11-24-2017, 09:07 AM
:D I'd buy one for when the Missus is too mad at me, to want to sit on the pillion... :shocked:

ARtraveler
11-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Reading this thread reminds me of the early F3 threads lots of negative comments. Now many of those same people are riding F3's
and loving it. A smaller lighter machine that a younger person can customize may be the ticket to more sales. How many of you
(if you can remember back that far :rolleyes:) remember your first bike? You probably made it yours as many have with their expensive
Spyders. I personally might wnt one just to play with. Time will tell. Enjoy Bob

Your post is right on. :bowdown::bowdown: Early comments on the F3 were not totally favorable. Many diehard RT owners went to the "darkside" and now ride F3 S or T models. There were also style comments about how the F3 looked like a Dodge pickup from the front. That too has passed.

I still don't like the ergos or the general feel of the F3. So for me--it looks like keeping the current RT or a look at a "newer" version if it ever becomes available.

I don't see a "econo" version in my stable--but that is based on the current speculation and not on real facts. It's only a year out--so most of us can wait. Others waited years for the Elio and that is not happening. :roflblack::roflblack: At least BRP should be coming through with their promises. :yes:

Since its a "short term" wait: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

tsmdvl3
12-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Bet its made in china!!!

burg650
12-06-2017, 05:01 AM
If they really do come out with $10,000 spyder, it will be a copy of this Chinese knock- off.

Bob Denman
12-06-2017, 08:47 AM
:yikes: But they're a whole lot less than $10,000! :dontknow:

eddieshep999
12-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Wife has not only agreed I can have new 3 wheeler for my Birthday She has aged to buy it for me
This was her idea :-

I declined her offer

But I wii get her back when it’s her Birthday I will promise to buy her a Hot Tub
( It will be a Pot Noodle ) but she gets to choose the flavour

Lets hope the Spyder designers & engineers come up with something better than this:-

SXSMachine
12-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Bet its made in china!!!

Can Ams new Mexico plant.

The NEW $10k Spyder!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBEOHJ6dTg

ARtraveler
12-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Can Ams new Mexico plant.

The NEW $10k Spyder!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBEOHJ6dTg

Well, I know it wont be the Elio--they are now in their death throes. Be careful though, lets hope the new Spyder does not get that cheaply or poorly built. The one test drive (Elio) video they provided did not impress. A fender fell off in the process.

SXSMachine
12-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Well, I know it wont be the Elio--they are now in their death throes. Be careful though, lets hope the new Spyder does not get that cheaply or poorly built. The one test drive (Elio) video they provided did not impress. A fender fell off in the process.

Definately hope not but for $10k you are going to not see much more that the frame wheels engine and rider I think? maybe they'll see it as a sunk cost in their future as a rider captured first to Spyders will then look for the next best Spyder in line over and over and the company wont treat that as a profit product but maybe the hot up parts? and that future equity...??

Bob Denman
12-10-2017, 05:41 PM
It'll be a bike born from some "Parts bin engineering". :thumbup:
They've already got engines, drivetrains, frames that are easily used...
The rest is just a question of ergonomics and window dressing!

SXSMachine
12-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Coz it was being thrown around I went and had a look at Patents because at $10k they have the have soime kind of magic to make it work and I didnt find any patents of anything in the way of clever little connectors or parts that would protect their investment in creating a low end bike. Its almost impossible a bin parts bike all fits together smoothly you need one or two specials to make it work, I didnt see anythng so I'll be really surprised at a "market release" of a $10k spyder, maybe you'll see a bit of a knock up version to judge market interest. Maybe it'll be in running version and maybe not. But Id be very surprised their investment in the first new Spyder that isnt their premier line not having any patent support.

On the other hand I did see the next iteration of what Bombardier are saving as the leaning version of the Spyder which may actually get a release if Honda releases their Goldwing/Valkyrie(? sic) that was lodged 2014, accepted 2016 and published. So thats closer to production to me right now on that evidence than the $10k Spyder except that it has very much the appearance of a Ski-doo.

JAS POWER
12-20-2017, 09:17 AM
The concept of a under $10,000.00 Spyder is excellent!

The sticker price of Spyders drives sales WAY down, in my opinion.

Dealers in my area don't seem to sell out of their model year Spyders the same year LOTS of carry overs even 3 years old!

Pirate looks at --
12-20-2017, 09:37 AM
One thing you can be sure of, BRP will continue to build in the safety features that you see in the current Spyders! Too much liability if they don't.

ofdave
12-20-2017, 12:13 PM
I am looking forward to an introductory level Spyder.
It will be good for the brand and bring better features for us all.

When you look at what bikes are on the market for less than 10 thou (even under 9) you notice not all are de-contented. In fact some (see Yamaha and Suzuki for example), are a lot of bang for the buck.
Think about what will be missing. GPS, cruise, blue tooth connectivity, radio, etc. not everyone needs or even wants all that. Aluminum parts vs steel? so what, steel is all over our Spyders (all under anyway)-not necessarily an indication of quality at all. Fewer body panels to deal with for service? That is not a bad thing.

I think it will bring some younger (under 50 or even under 40) people into the Spyder fold.
That won't sit well with many here but it's actually good for us. Many people I see who ask about mine comment about the cost of a Spyder-the thinking is it takes 20 thousand plus to get on one. And mostly they are right. That's out of reach for many who would consider a switch to three wheels. Admit it, Spyders are expensive in the world of non-auto recreational riding. Will BRP get to the 10 thou number? Maybe not, but even at 11-13 thou they would sell a bunch.

I say, bring it on and good luck to BRP.

SierraCycles
12-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Rob

Just wanted to let everyone know that YES there will in fact be a cheaper (under $10K) Spyder joining the Spyder family for the 2019 model year, which will likely be introduced in Fall of 2018. BRP has been laying the infrastructure for the introduction for two years, as they have partnered with multiple states to create a Spyder specific riding course. BRP is continuing the discounted courses and is putting a focused and extensive effort to build these courses before the launch of an entry level product. As getting new riders, and growing the brand through a varying demographic is key, and this has and will be paramount in building the brand. So many new riders are intrigued with the Spyder but refuse to shell out $20k plus for a new machine that they have ZERO idea if they will like it or what it's about. The same person is often fearful of buying pre-owned again not knowing exactly what they are looking for, which is where an entry level Spyder is a great fit. As a dealer we are anticipating a completely new machine, what that means we also don't have an idea. From the short media video shown at their Dealer Meeting in Dallas, it looked to possibly be a single seat machine with styling queues reminiscent of both the RS/GS and the F3.

As was mentioned in several posts, the PWC segment has exploded in the last few years and IMO, the Spark has a lot to do with that, by making an enjoyable product for a price conscious shopper. We anticipate and hope that the new Spyder will have a very similar effect for the 3 wheeled market.

JAS POWER
12-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that YES there will in fact be a cheaper (under $10K) Spyder joining the Spyder family for the 2019 model year, which will likely be introduced in Fall of 2018. BRP has been laying the infrastructure for the introduction for two years, as they have partnered with multiple states to create a Spyder specific riding course. BRP is continuing the discounted courses and is putting a focused and extensive effort to build these courses before the launch of an entry level product. As getting new riders, and growing the brand through a varying demographic is key, and this has and will be paramount in building the brand. So many new riders are intrigued with the Spyder but refuse to shell out $20k plus for a new machine that they have ZERO idea if they will like it or what it's about. The same person is often fearful of buying pre-owned again not knowing exactly what they are looking for, which is where an entry level Spyder is a great fit. As a dealer we are anticipating a completely new machine, what that means we also don't have an idea. From the short media video shown at their Dealer Meeting in Dallas, it looked to possibly be a single seat machine with styling queues reminiscent of both the RS/GS and the F3.

As was mentioned in several posts, the PWC segment has exploded in the last few years and IMO, the Spark has a lot to do with that, by making an enjoyable product for a price conscious shopper. We anticipate and hope that the new Spyder will have a very similar effect for the 3 wheeled market.

EXCELLENT news :2thumbs:
I will be looking forward to the 2019 model release, to see what they bring to the table :yes:

Bob Denman
12-21-2017, 07:56 AM
:agree:! :yes: :thumbup:

SXSMachine
12-23-2017, 10:45 PM
It will be interesting and it may be necessary depending on Yamaha entry price point to get legs in the door of dealers Vs the horrible whatever it was they called it. ech but it does open the market to new players without having to try and do it alone as a non-market distributed player.

den1953
12-24-2017, 09:17 AM
The only way would be a lighter smaller Spyder with maybe less features or less expensive bodywork. Possibly a new smaller twin cylinder motor (think vertical twin maybe 2/3 of the current triple) and maybe with only a manual shift transmission.

Harold Knobel
12-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Imagine what you would have left if you took $20,000.00 off your RT or $10,00.00 off your F3...:dontknow: not much..... the hounds are leaving the room muttering.." we're not pulling him around..!!"...:roflblack::roflblack:

Nonsense, The Spyders are vastly overpriced compared to cars-I know car volume allows price reduction. Still the Koreans could build the basic Spyders for 6000 less and still be profitable. Also, service costs are out of the park, but I admit this thing is very difficult to work on- they gave NO consideration to service. Removing the rear valve cover is a nightmare, supposed to be done to check valves, which is why it is often skipped. Fun, but not very reliable and often very difficult to service.
Harold

ARtraveler
12-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Nonsense, The Spyders are vastly overpriced compared to cars-I know car volume allows price reduction. Still the Koreans could build the basic Spyders for 6000 less and still be profitable. Also, service costs are out of the park, but I admit this thing is very difficult to work on- they gave NO consideration to service. Removing the rear valve cover is a nightmare, supposed to be done to check valves, which is why it is often skipped. Fun, but not very reliable and often very difficult to service.
Harold

Time will tell. We have speculated this one many times. It is either going to be good or not. The market will determine if the new proposed Spyder is going to be a winner or not. Agree about the pricing. I am pretty sure they use the "what the market will bear" pricing method--but since I am not in the cost accounting department at BRP--:dontknow::dontknow: Judge Judy would say--hearsay and not admissible as evidence. :roflblack::roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-25-2017, 01:15 AM
Nonsense, The Spyders are vastly overpriced compared to cars-I know car volume allows price reduction. Still the Koreans could build the basic Spyders for 6000 less and still be profitable.
Volume plays a part, certainly, but just as much, if not more, is automation. A significant portion of auto assembly is done by robots. I don't recall seeing a single robot on the Spyder assembly line at Valcourt during Homecoming visit there.

SXSMachine
12-25-2017, 03:32 PM
The only way would be a lighter smaller Spyder with maybe less features or less expensive bodywork. Possibly a new smaller twin cylinder motor (think vertical twin maybe 2/3 of the current triple) and maybe with only a manual shift transmission.

The Have a lot of detuned ATV motors that they can whack a sportier cam in to get some more revs and keep torque. That and Rotax is in bed with them and so any and every rotax motor from glider motors etc that are quite efficient may be on the cards.

SXSMachine
12-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Can Am did build a new Factory this year down in Mexico Juarez so that will have a significant role in cost I believe they will need to build the cheaper version down there.

WackyDan
12-29-2017, 10:09 PM
Honestly...

Who here would even want a $10k spyder?

It certainly is going to have a smaller motor, and very limited creature comforts. My bet is that none of us would buy one. If they are making a budget model it will be for an entirely different demographic.

bikerbillone
12-30-2017, 07:06 AM
Harold

Interesting comment. I'm a 2005, GW/2012 Road Smith conversion, and lurk on this Spyder forum, just looking. I love the configuration of the RTL especially, but that 'going in price' scares me, so I scan the classifieds for the 2014 thru 2016; the maintenance scares me and I'm not one of those who can afford the high dealer costs. I could conceivable 'DIY' but getting a bit long in the tooth to be pulling tupperware. Anyway, color me 'simply looking' and enjoy the read.

jcthorne
12-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Interesting comment. I'm a 2005, GW/2012 Road Smith conversion, and lurk on this Spyder forum, just looking. I love the configuration of the RTL especially, but that 'going in price' scares me, so I scan the classifieds for the 2014 thru 2016; the maintenance scares me and I'm not one of those who can afford the high dealer costs. I could conceivable 'DIY' but getting a bit long in the tooth to be pulling tupperware. Anyway, color me 'simply looking' and enjoy the read.

If you are used to working on a Goldwing, tupperware is no stranger to you. I have assisted fellow riders that own GWs and while I do not service them, I have seen they are every bit as complex to undress for service as any Spyder. Actually the F3 is far easier to service than what I saw of the GW. The Spyder is different, but no more difficult.

Darren111
12-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Honestly...

It certainly is going to have a smaller motor, and very limited creature comforts. My bet is that none of us would buy one. If they are making a budget model it will be for an entirely different demographic.

Hi WackyDan, I have a 2105 F3-S and I would certainly buy a 10k Spyder. I would keep my F3-S for long motorway distances like I do to Kent every year (Just over 200 miles from where I live) and have the 10k Spyder has a run around toy around the city. Can Am bring on the budget model Spyder you have a customer here in the UK. :yes::yes::yes:

Rob Rodriguez
12-30-2017, 01:06 PM
I'd buy one today as long as the riding position wasn't a cruiser style and it had enough power. Based on the weight of the Spyders from 2008-2018 I don't think most riders (even new ones) would be happy with a bike with less than 100hp unless the new model is on a serious weight reduction program. I'd welcome a lighter model as well.

Bare bones features, very little tupperware, sport riding position, decent power to weight ratio. I'd be all over it. Probably buy 2, one for me and the wife.

ARtraveler
12-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Time will tell how many "buyers" are going to bite. Not me. I am not going from a Cadillac to an entry level Chevy. :yes:

Bob Denman
12-30-2017, 06:47 PM
"ProjectS",(Or whatever they call it); isn't aimed at us; and it never was intended to replace our GS/RS/RT/F-3.
It's aimed at the new rider, or the rider who is looking for an "Around-Town" ride, and little more. Just like Darren suggested! :D
I'd get one for my Missus, if she wanted one. nojoke

IWN2RYD
09-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Tonight is your night yes? The big reveal?

armyspydervet
09-09-2018, 09:20 AM
People who don’t believe there will be a 10k Spyder don’t follow the motorcycle industry as a whole. All major brands are developing lower cost platforms to market to millennials and commuters. Look at Indian and HD and you will see their versions of these bikes. If you buy it or not is another question. I don’t think it will be marketed toward the RT or the F3 rider unless it is for a second machine. IMHO

Bob Denman
09-09-2018, 09:56 AM
We'll know a whole lot more in about 11 hours...

Tic k. . . Tick . . . Tick . . .

wilpir
09-09-2018, 11:17 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

cheska
09-09-2018, 11:50 AM
I want one for the wife. But then she will probably get the RTS and I will get the new one. ;) But it works for me.

BryanSD
09-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Honestly...

I definitely would want one. My wife and I share a 2017 RT Limited and can't justify spending the same amount of cash for a second one on the current Spyder prices. Now give the option of a cheaper Spyder and you'll see each of us riding around town on our own reverse Trike. I think the biggest question will be are you better off in buying this cheaper but new version of a Spyder or are you better off buying a used more featured Spyder for not much more? Time will tell.

I do indeed hope this cheaper Spyder does reach an entire different and younger demographic. It's pretty unsettling for my wife and I to be in our 50's and find out we're the youngest couple (sometimes by a decade or two) when we're riding with other Spyder and Harley Davidson riders. No offense to our older friends (we love them to death) but when you have younger riders with you in the crowd it's nice to be reminded the importance of being "young at heart". It's also nice to be challenged by the younger adults...to show you can still keep up with them (on a good day).

Highwayman2013
09-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Looks like Monday from what I see from Can Am.

Shadowkast
09-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Looks like Monday from what I see from Can Am.

Tomorrow is the whole lineup reveal. Tonight 9pm MDT is "an exclusive first hand look" the email says

Bob Denman
09-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Yup... :bbq::bbq::bbq:
It's a good thing that there's a great NFL game on tonight: it'll help kill some time! :2thumbs:
Packers-Bears: Good old NFC North "Smash-Mouth Football"... :clap:

wilpir
09-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Yup... :bbq::bbq::bbq:
It's a good thing that there's a great NFL game on tonight: it'll help kill some time! :2thumbs:
Packers-Bears: Good old NFC North "Smash-Mouth Football"... :clap: That's right GO BEARS!!! Cheeseheads for Dinner!!!:yes::yes::yes:

jcthorne
09-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Tomorrow is the whole lineup reveal. Tonight 9pm MDT is "an exclusive first hand look" the email says

So where is this first look that was supposed to be posted at 9pm MDT? Nothing I can find on the BRP Web side or facebook.

delkhouri
09-09-2018, 09:30 PM
So where is this first look that was supposed to be posted at 9pm MDT? Nothing I can find on the BRP Web side or facebook.

30 more minutes.

Shadowkast
09-09-2018, 09:47 PM

It will probably be a FB live video. Just have to wait. Should get a reminder notification for tomorrow's event if you signed up, but not sure about tonight's

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-09-2018, 09:49 PM
I just looked at Lamont's post on the FB page. It says the "new way to ride" will be revealed at 6 PM EST. You need to go to the BRP FB page for all the excitement! https://www.facebook.com/CanAmOnRoad/videos/461446134374933/

Bob Denman
09-09-2018, 09:51 PM
10 more minutes...

DJFaninTN
09-09-2018, 09:56 PM
starting at $8400 & $9900

PLUS they are going to offer leasing of Spyders

IWN2RYD
09-09-2018, 09:57 PM
They changed it?

Can-Am On-Road (https://www.facebook.com/CanAmOnRoad/?hc_ref=ARTXiau6QW0euYEcHDSKxuqZlvKT04NCtLerhxwC7k nHIFF57pCsNq6aWB3RL1JEG1o&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDxj4pbZPhdq7uc8CPkCvjvI7x1-gMiZEKK_Tu_zOkoGSyNVMyrA9DJjWZOGpOKeGGBC0hetE_AdvQ xMjZBApMiQ3XHGshNM6rUlhBNEPjPjvScjfNChFrkQO-9UV3y9KOEErwdILm0PQLAgSOY2c8GWUILr15uOusFPQioLrGi5 yR2UyGe&__tn__=kC-R) (https://www.facebook.com/CanAmOnRoad/?hc_ref=ARTXiau6QW0euYEcHDSKxuqZlvKT04NCtLerhxwC7k nHIFF57pCsNq6aWB3RL1JEG1o&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDxj4pbZPhdq7uc8CPkCvjvI7x1-gMiZEKK_Tu_zOkoGSyNVMyrA9DJjWZOGpOKeGGBC0hetE_AdvQ xMjZBApMiQ3XHGshNM6rUlhBNEPjPjvScjfNChFrkQO-9UV3y9KOEErwdILm0PQLAgSOY2c8GWUILr15uOusFPQioLrGi5 yR2UyGe&__tn__=kC-R) plans to go live.

September 3 at 3:03 PM (https://www.facebook.com/CanAmOnRoad/videos/461446134374933/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDxj4pbZPhdq7uc8CPkCvjvI7x1-gMiZEKK_Tu_zOkoGSyNVMyrA9DJjWZOGpOKeGGBC0hetE_AdvQ xMjZBApMiQ3XHGshNM6rUlhBNEPjPjvScjfNChFrkQO-9UV3y9KOEErwdILm0PQLAgSOY2c8GWUILr15uOusFPQioLrGi5 yR2UyGe&__tn__=-R) ·

A new way to ride is coming on September 10th at 4 p.m. MST (6 p.m. EST).

GaryTheBadger
09-09-2018, 10:07 PM
I am not seeing anything on the Can-Am Facebook site. The Sep 3 email clearly said tonight, 9pm MDT.
Looks like I stayed up for nothing.

delkhouri
09-09-2018, 10:07 PM
anyone see anything yet. I clicked the link in the email and it took me to their facebook page and I dont see any video

Doug5283
09-09-2018, 10:09 PM
https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ryker/recreational/ryker-rally-edition.html

IWN2RYD
09-09-2018, 10:09 PM
It is there now ...

Called Ryker... (Link (https://www.facebook.com/CanAmOnRoad/videos/336989670378775/?hc_ref=ARQVnn4fUDKhPMlF1YSaHyeZqxfGqqzoyEH5adjpfZ BJQiXwLcmJCEtF7ljMQnbNQ5c&__xts__[0]=68.ARCt6FV12lO2VRrj5c-HXu8VJH-Y8ZXdXybP0wbLgAQqiID7rTyOo0uRn2hHV_pIM29iFbOwJWJDv L0iD01vPJQ7_y3SkubboLmquZB3sbTa3VUFBkKKghyCXSLh3sC QZtPxQPt1PEcz9rc54KSPScmOD6Xj3U30VrAA9lfw_c8wriZMJ FYW&__tn__=kC-R))

Highwayman2013
09-09-2018, 10:10 PM
165592600cc and 900cc, cvt trans, shaft drive. $8,499, and $9,999. Lease for $149. Rally edition for $10,999. 75,000 ways to accessorize. App to purchase accessories. Rally can go off road.

bhern
09-09-2018, 10:11 PM
https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/experience/ryker/discover.html

Looks like they're posting it as I type this.

It looks like a much lower riding position -- er, center of gravity.

Culpjp
09-09-2018, 10:15 PM

Firefly
09-10-2018, 01:00 AM
Some cool features.. but ugly as sin...

ThreeWheels
09-10-2018, 03:27 AM
Pretty ugly.
I can't imagine it would appeal to millenials.

old Timer
09-10-2018, 05:01 AM
That must be just the ticket for my wife. No belt, 900cc 3 cylinder=smooth, plus the semi auto tranny. Probably a little hot rod.

What's not to like. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
09-10-2018, 08:20 AM
That must be just the ticket for my wife. No belt, 900cc 3 cylinder=smooth, plus the semi auto tranny. Probably a little hot rod.

Auto tranny(cvt)

Highwayman2013
09-10-2018, 08:22 AM
The F3 was called ugly when first seen.

Firefly
09-10-2018, 08:35 AM

Not gonna be a hot rod with these specs:

600cc ACE in-line two cylinder - 47hp 35torque
900cc ACE in-line three cylinder - 77hp 56 torque

And looking that ugly you'd want it to move fast so people don't have to look at it....

Chefex
09-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Was told at a dealership in Decorah Iowa that a 10k spyder model is coming out. But it will be very basic. Just to get the younger generation interested and able to afford one.
Nothing that a current spyder owner would really want.

Firefly
09-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Was told at a dealership in Decorah Iowa that a 10k spyder model is coming out. But it will be very basic. Just to get the younger generation interested and able to afford one.
Nothing that a current spyder owner would really want.

Especially when you can arleady get a base model F3 for under 10K. My dealer was selling brand new 2017 F3 base units this summer for 9,700.....:shocked::thumbup:

Maybe this will go over well with first time buyers, but I can't see anyone stepping down from a Spyder into one of these.

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 08:54 AM
"
Nothing that a current spyder owner would really want. "

I'm surprised by that statement. :shocked:
Spyder Ryders have already shown a willingness to accept new and different configurations for their motorcycles.
So what has changed? :dontknow:

IWN2RYD
09-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Especially when you can arleady get a base model F3 for under 10K. My dealer was selling brand new 2017 F3 base units this summer for 9,700.....:shocked::thumbup:

Maybe this will go over well with first time buyers, but I can't see anyone stepping down from a Spyder into one of these.

Agreed. However, you might see folks add one and or buy two of these instead of one F3 or RT... In fact, buying two would have been exactly what my wife and I would have done originally when we first started, had these Ryker's been available (Vs. an all out RTS SE decked out).

There will always be those however that will go backwards. They may not need the larger F3 or RT, plan to sell it. And decided to get one of these to at least still ryde vs. going to no Spyder.

I for one can see these be hot items in the used market if they prove to be reliable.

If one is in the market for a low cost Spyder, who would not consider paying $6500 for a three or four year old reliable Spyder?

Michaelscs
09-10-2018, 09:10 AM

And looking that ugly you'd want it to move fast so people don't have to look at it....

I think you might be underestimating the hot rod potential. It's nearly 300 pounds lighter than the F3S!

monkeyboymorton
09-10-2018, 09:14 AM
I think you might be underestimating the hot rod potential. It's nearly 300 pounds lighter than the F3S!

Yes and as I just said in another thread the 900 has almost identical power to weight ratio as an F3-S.

F3S = 280 HP per tonne
Ryker 900 = 275 HP per tonne

I think it'll be a fun little machine.

YIRYDE
09-10-2018, 09:24 AM
I may have to consider one for my daily rider to work, weather permitting. They are adding all these hot lanes in the Northern VA area and riding this will reduce some of the wear and tear on my RT. You can ride a motorcycles in the hot lanes without a EZ-PASS.

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 09:28 AM
If one is in the market for a low cost Spyder, who would not consider paying $6500 for a three or four year old reliable Spyder?
How about folks who prefer a new bike to come with a warranty?

delkhouri
09-10-2018, 10:07 AM

what dealer is that? I am in columbus, ohio and the local dealers seem to barely discount.

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Dan is in Michigan… :dontknow:

delkhouri
09-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Dan is in Michigan… :dontknow:

Yeah, I saw that, I have been going through Michigan dealers inventory trying to find it. Maybe it's the sticker price posted in store and not online. Because $9700 and me shipping it or picking it up from Michagan is a whole lot cheaper than $16k locally.

Heck locally I can't even find an used f3 for less than $12k and that for a '15 with several thousand miles on it.

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 10:36 AM
:D Most of the fun is in the shopping anyway! :thumbup:

IWN2RYD
09-10-2018, 10:41 AM
How about folks who prefer a new bike to come with a warranty?

Sorry Bob, I am not understanding the question?

My comment that you quoted was about my thoughts on when these hit the used market. My prior comments to that reflect those of the "New" factor.

Grandpot
09-10-2018, 10:48 AM

They say the same thing about the A10 Wart Hog, but it gets the job done! :clap:

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 10:50 AM
NOW it makes sense! :thumbup:
Your statement seemed to be saying that a used Spyder that was priced for a quick sale: might be more attractive than a new one...

By the way: BRP also dropped the price of the Limiteds by a couple of grand...:yes:

cheska
09-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Anyone calling these ugly who own a F-3 should look in a mirror. Just saying. ;) Bob

blacklightning
09-10-2018, 12:18 PM
:agree: I would definitely shop around for a used spyder if I wanted a 3 wheeled machine..
Now, if like so many other items, if it is 25-30% off next fall (fall 2019), then I might consider the base model, just to have a new one with warranty. But it is still ugly.
I will be test riding one, just to see what it is about. After all, I thought the F3 series were ugly (and still do), but after a test ride, I just had to have one. Who knows, if I can get into one next fall for around $7k (and it will happen), then I might go for it.:dontknow:

Firefly
09-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Just learned these do not have power steering........

ARtraveler
09-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Just learned these do not have power steering........

Hopefully, the three hundred pounds lighter will help. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 12:56 PM
:agree: And even without power steering: it's pretty easy to twist the bars anyway! nojoke
(Anybody else in here ever stuff an 800 pound ATV without P.S.: into a mudhole? )

Vader
09-10-2018, 01:23 PM
but I myself would have to ryde one before commenting on performance. I know a buddy who stated that my GS could never be a really fun experience, until he tried mine. I can see the Ryker being an affordable alternative to some, and possible a better fit for smaller frame ryders.

bushrat
09-10-2018, 01:25 PM
I was always quite taken by the saying that ... something was ugly in so many ways that it was POSITIVELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

How can anyone gutsy enough to buck two-wheel tradition and ride something as breath-takingly different as a Spyder or Ryker ever think of themselves or their byke as "ugly"? Courage, mes amis!! C'mon now.

ThreeWheels
09-10-2018, 02:00 PM
It's ugly, but it would be nice if the RT had a shaft drive and parts of the u-fit system as a standard instead of buying the tri-axis bars as an accessory.

Firefly
09-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Anyone know what the connotation of the name is?

bushrat
09-10-2018, 02:33 PM

I'm gonna guess that it's short for R(ally) (b)YKER, or something like that.

SXSMachine
09-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Video seemed to show you want to get your fairly mobile on the seat to get it into corners right if you want to get all sporting or rally with it and then there is the question of nanny or no nanny??

Front seems pretty wide when you see it in the video I have seen static measurements yet and they try to underplay that in any on the static presentations. So it seems no nanny and kept upright by width of front suspension, now that seems like a bit of a bad recipe, seems only time and riding will tell.

I dont mind the look of it so much, if you dont like this then you likely never liked the look of any ATV I think, Its never going to be the Mona Lisa its built to a price, but I think its nifty enough and I for one am not a great fan of lines like the Gold-wing, Im a bit more street bike, than cruiser weight and I think this is also maybe a bit of a shot at that market as well as being a stepping stone to cruiser spiders.

wyliec
09-10-2018, 04:34 PM
All the ugly comments are funny considering all spyders are ugly. All you have to do is open your eyes.

DonFG
09-10-2018, 04:45 PM
All the ugly comments are funny considering all spyders are ugly. All you have to do is open your eyes.

My same thoughts and I own an F3.

Bob Denman
09-10-2018, 05:24 PM

How about this possibility?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ryker

Firefly
09-10-2018, 09:01 PM

Models like the F3 and RT have sleek lines and design aspects that look good and make sense. The original GS models..not so much. On the Ryker the top part of the front where it transitions from the lower 'trunk' to the upper area is the worst part of it.
From the sides and the rear it's fine... and I love the rear hub and single lugnuts as well as the swingarm and shaft drive.

I'll demo one at one of the events for giggles, but no way would I want one. This is obviously an 'around town' scooter type of product.

Firefly
09-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Video seemed to show you want to get your fairly mobile on the seat to get it into corners right if you want to get all sporting or rally with it and then there is the question of nanny or no nanny??

Front seems pretty wide when you see it in the video I have seen static measurements yet and they try to underplay that in any on the static presentations. So it seems no nanny and kept upright by width of front suspension, now that seems like a bit of a bad recipe, seems only time and riding will tell.

I dont mind the look of it so much, if you dont like this then you likely never liked the look of any ATV I think, Its never going to be the Mona Lisa its built to a price, but I think its nifty enough and I for one am not a great fan of lines like the Gold-wing, Im a bit more street bike, than cruiser weight and I think this is also maybe a bit of a shot at that market as well as being a stepping stone to cruiser spiders.

It has the nanny... but no power steering.

Bob Denman
09-11-2018, 06:37 AM
With the skinnier front tires: that's most likely never going to be an issue. :D

SXSMachine
09-11-2018, 07:12 PM
It has the nanny... but no power steering.

Well you can already see the scrambler edition breaking traction so it must have a new mode??

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Well you can already see the scrambler edition breaking traction so it must have a new mode??
The Rally has 3 modes, ECO, Rally, and Sport.

SXSMachine
09-11-2018, 11:43 PM
The Rally has 3 modes, ECO, Rally, and Sport.

The point I was making being that its is a different version of Nanny than has been had before.