PDA

View Full Version : Need rear tire balanced!

Michael211_2000
11-18-2017, 10:11 PM
Guys I replaced my back tire this week but cannot find anybody (including area dealerships!) who can re-balance it! Either they can't fit it on the shaft of their balance machine, their machine is broken and they don't know when it will be fixed, or they just don't have a machine.. or in the case of Kingwood Harley dealership they have a balance machine that can do it but won't because it's not off a Harley motorcycle (which I find a bit offensive frankly but oh well).

Anybody got suggestions? I'm in the Humble/Conroe/Livingston triangle.

Thanks!

- Michael

Peteoz
11-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Guys I replaced my back tire this week but cannot find anybody (including area dealerships!) who can re-balance it! Either they can't fit it on the shaft of their balance machine, their machine is broken and they don't know when it will be fixed, or they just don't have a machine.. or in the case of Kingwood Harley dealership they have a balance machine that can do it but won't because it's not off a Harley motorcycle (which I find a bit offensive frankly but oh well).

Thanks!

- Michael

Car tyre or Kenda, Michael? Most car tyres these days don’t need balancing as long as the tyre shop has mounted the tyre dot alongside the valve.

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Car tyre or Kenda, Michael? Most car tyres these days don’t need balancing as long as the tyre shop has mounted the tyre dot alongside the valve.

Pete
:agree: .... I didn't balance my last four rear tires and they were / are fine ...... I won't ever balance any others either .... But they were CAR Tires not Kenda's ................. Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
11-18-2017, 11:46 PM
My old rear Kenda came off with a bazillion weights on the wheel. New car tire has none but I did have a centramatic balancer installed. No need to ever balance rear wheel again

Highwayman2013
11-19-2017, 12:14 AM
If you have two jack stands, put the axle through the wheel and put it between the stands. Get some stick on weights at an auto parts store. Heavy spot will be down after a spin. Tape weights on the opposite side until you can stop the wheel in any spot without it moving.

cruisinTX
11-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Thanks!

- Michael

that's because they don't want to add to anything on the road that can out perform a Harley; which is pretty much anything. :roflblack:

Highwayman2013
11-19-2017, 09:35 AM
These work too.http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

jcthorne
11-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Thanks!

- Michael

PM me. I think we can help you with this.

DGoebel
11-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Michael211_2000, I followed BLUEKNIGHT911 (Mike)'s advice, had my new (Car) tire mounted on the rear rim, no balancer, no weights, (removed all the old weights too) and I couldn't feel any vibes whilst riding. My waterbottle on my handlebar cup holder barely jiggles at all, at any speed. (I do have the Lamonster centramatic balancers on the front wheels) though the wheels also have no balancing weights.
I've driven 8,000 miles on that rear tire this last year, you couldn't tell looking at it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Michael211_2000, I followed BLUEKNIGHT911 (Mike)'s advice, had my new (Car) tire mounted on the rear rim, no balancer, no weights, (removed all the old weights too) and I couldn't feel any vibes whilst riding. My waterbottle on my handlebar cup holder barely jiggles at all, at any speed. (I do have the Lamonster centramatic balancers on the front wheels) though the wheels also have no balancing weights.
I've driven 8,000 miles on that rear tire this last year, you couldn't tell looking at it.
:agree: ....( and glad you removed the old weights first ) Of course this is with CAR tires not Kenda's ..... I have a theory why the rear doesn't need to be balanced ... Because the axel is secured on both ends it prevents or greatly diminishes any of the harmonics that occurs with an imbalanced tire ..... or it could be something else, but I don't care this works ..... Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
11-19-2017, 06:17 PM
:agree: ....( and glad you removed the old weights first ) Of course this is with CAR tires not Kenda's ..... I have a theory why the rear doesn't need to be balanced ... Because the axel is secured on both ends it prevents or greatly diminishes any of the harmonics that occurs with an imbalanced tire ..... or it could be something else, but I don't care this works ..... Mike :thumbup:

Trust me, with a Kenda that needs 9oz to balance, without the weights you WILL feel the imbalance. They are truly awful, low quality tires. With any good car tire that is less than 2oz out, its likely that you would not notice much.

Wildrice
11-19-2017, 06:45 PM
These work too.http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

I've spoke to several people who are using these dyna beads & they are all happy using the product. My Rear Kendra has 1/2 dozen tape weights on it. Any static wheel balancer would work just fine also. Hunter Equipment wheel balancer with "Smart Weight Feature" proved that horizontal balance isn't usually necessary thus a static bubble balancer at any old small shop uses would work. I've had 2 Harley's 2003(oil pump gear broke off at 50 mph) & a 2014 & my Suzuki's & Yamaha were superior.
Darrell

hypurone
11-19-2017, 06:50 PM
My old rear Kenda came off with a bazillion weights on the wheel. New car tire has none but I did have a centramatic balancer installed. No need to ever balance rear wheel again

This! :2thumbs:

2ndChildhood
11-19-2017, 08:57 PM
I used balance beads in the rear tire 4 ounces. They work great. I am going to put them in the front tires also 2 ounces each. The only problem I had was getting them. I had to have one side of the tire open up and poured them in.

Michael211_2000
11-20-2017, 12:02 PM
I am aware of dynamic balancers (such as centramatics which I have on my 1-ton dually truck but didn't know they made them to Spyder wheel sizes may look into them later) and tire beads that go inside the tire. Yes it's a Kendra tire same as my front tires are (I'm funny that way I don't like mixing tire types/brands on my vehicles).

Any tire has a probability of being perfectly balanced without weights when 1st put on, it's just luck of the draw whether any tire needs weights added or not. Just because you lucked out and didn't need balance weights doesn't mean that tire type never needs balance weights every tire and unless you have the tire balance checked with a machine you may not realize how far out of balance your tire may be (good shock and suspension design can absorb quite a lot of imbalance, just because you don't feel imbalance doesn't mean it isn't there just saying...... ).

Anyhows, I just want to get my Spyder back together again with good rear rubber again I would prefer to get the wheel static balanced before fighting 3 hours to put it back on though and that's where I'm stuck apart right now. :banghead:

- Michael

Bensonoid
11-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? I used their motorcycle wheel balancer on mine and it worked great.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? I used their motorcycle wheel balancer on mine and it worked great. If you are referring t o the one that has the ROD & CONES for positioning .... I have been thinking of getting one also .......... I haven't because they don't say what size the Rubber CONES are .....since you have one can you share that info ......Thanks , Mike :thumbup:

jcthorne
11-20-2017, 08:27 PM
If you are referring t o the one that has the ROD & CONES for positioning .... I have been thinking of getting one also .......... I haven't because they don't say what size the Rubber CONES are .....since you have one can you share that info ......Thanks , Mike :thumbup:

The cones are steel and they fit the rear spyder wheel fine. I would guess they are about 1.5" diameter and fit the 1" shaft hole well. IF you go to get one, open the box and check the bearings on the roller wheels the rod sits in. They MUST spin freely and without friction. I went though several to get 4 good bearings. But this was years ago, they may be better now.

Michael211_2000
11-28-2017, 07:33 PM
I gave up and poured 3 oz of beads into it and put the wheel assembly back together and back on my Spyder. Haven't road tested it just yet but soon.

Places I was told could balance a Spyder rear wheel but in fact could or would not (when I took it to them):

Powersports of Conroe (balance machine is broken and no ETA when it might be repaired)
Walmart Automotive (shaft to big for center of wheel)
Discount Tire (shaft too big for center of wheel)
Harley Davidson of Kingwood (said their machine could do it, but won't because its not off a Harley Davidson motorcycle)
Mancuso North (actually they said they don't have a balance machine at all, that they only use tire beads)
and The Cycle Shack of Conroe (shaft too big for center of wheel, again)

Well this was tonnes of fun! I would never have guessed it when I went to change my rear tire. I did ask if removing the bearing in the center would help, but was told no the center of the wheel would still be too small.

fyi: Using the axle shaft on jackstands technique, this Kendra tire balances perfectly just like your car tires. However I suspect this technique doesn't allow for much precision hence I went ahead and added tire beads to it anyways.

Regards and safe riding ya'll!

- Michael