PDA

View Full Version : MANUAL TIRE CHANGING MACHINE

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Well I took a chance after reading the reviews here about the Harbor Freight / Great Northern - Tire Changer ( they are the same ) ... Assembly was easy, but because it's too cold to be doing this in my garage, I decided to mount it on a large heavy pallet ( 4x6 ).... so far I have only mounted new tires on new rims .... not hard to do ...... I will be re-moving some old tires from the rims and mounting used ( by me ) Winter tires ..... I don't expect it to be difficult either ........... at $15 to $20 per tire with balance I have already paid for the HB changer ....... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
11-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Beats doing it with a pair of tire irons.....:yikes: once you break the bead things move along especially with some soapy water. Unless you have slime, fix-a-flat, or other such goodies inside the tire....:banghead:

qiuick question.....if it is to cold in the garage and presumidly outside anywhere, where are you doing this chore..?? the kitchen..?? :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Beats doing it with a pair of tire irons.....:yikes: once you break the bead things move along especially with some soapy water. Unless you have slime, fix-a-flat, or other such goodies inside the tire....:banghead:

qiuick question.....if it is to cold in the garage and presumidly outside anywhere, where are you doing this chore..?? the kitchen..?? :roflblack:
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:..... In my rec-room, in the basement ..... I put down an old king size sheet , then put the pallet on that , then mounted the changer to the Pallet - wa - la , as they say in that commercial ....... after I'm finished with All my tires I'll just re-move everything .............Mike :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
11-18-2017, 06:47 AM
​Ya ought to see his basement!!!!

gerald37
11-18-2017, 06:59 AM
I have been using a Harbor Freight tire changer for over 12 years now. I have changed a lot of Gold Wing tires. I have not done the rear tire on the Spyder yet but do have a new General to install. I do have mind fasten to my garage floor. I use the No-Mar tire bar which works great.

UtahPete
11-18-2017, 10:49 AM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:..... In my rec-room, in the basement ..... I put down an old king size sheet , then put the pallet on that , then mounted the changer to the Pallet - wa - la , as they say in that commercial ....... after I'm finished with All my tires I'll just re-move everything .............Mike :thumbup:
Now, that's a man-cave!

cptjam
11-19-2017, 02:42 AM
Mike,
you motivated me to buy Ann a new No-Mar tire changer for Christmas! I know she really wanted it, and it will save her a ton of time! It will pay for itself on her bike alone! Thanks!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Mike,
you motivated me to buy Ann a new No-Mar tire changer for Christmas! I know she really wanted it, and it will save her a ton of time! It will pay for itself on her bike alone! Thanks!!
I think the key to success with this is how well you mount it to the floor...... My Pallet mount ( which is temporary ) ..... is very stable. I looked at the Bar they also sell with the special tips :clap:...I think I will buy their tips and make my own bar ...... Also checkout the Balancing CONES they have 3.5in I think they could be made to work on the $30.00 wheel balancing things they sell on E-bay ..... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Mike,

:D You're gonna have to post some pictures taken while she's unwrapping it on Christmas morning! :thumbup:

jcthorne
11-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Mike,

I bought a No-Mar tire changer and it proved useless on CanAm wheels. The nylon clamps simply could not grip the wheels strong enough to allow mounting a tire. The wheel would just spin when trying to install or remove a tire. Found out from quite a few others that they had the same issue. It just does not work with certain design cast wheels that have coated edges.

I ended up eating the cost of return shipping and restocking fees and upgraded to a Ranger tire machine. Yes, a few bucks more but it just WORKS. Save your money on the NoMar for CanAm wheels.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-19-2017, 11:43 AM
I bought a No-Mar tire changer and it proved useless on CanAm wheels. The nylon clamps simply could not grip the wheels strong enough to allow mounting a tire. The wheel would just spin when trying to install or remove a tire. Found out from quite a few others that they had the same issue. It just does not work with certain design cast wheels that have coated edges.

I ended up eating the cost of return shipping and restocking fees and upgraded to a Ranger tire machine. Yes, a few bucks more but it just WORKS. Save your money on the NoMar for CanAm wheels.
In above issue ... I learned from a U-tube video ..... to drill a hole in the large mounting disk and weld a nut underneath ....then you can use a wheel lug bolt to secure it ..... and I agree you shouldn't have to do mods to this or anything else .....but the changer only cost $42.00 ... I don't change enough tires to make a better ( ie more expensive ) worth it ..... I was un-able to inflate the first tire due to the BEADs on the new tires being to close together for them to hold air ....... so I have blocked them wider with 8" pieces of wood , I will leave this for a couple of days and hopefully they will stay wider ..... I checked my winter tires ( that had been mounted before ) and they were much wider at the BEAD ........ Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
11-19-2017, 12:17 PM
I have a different brand of manual tire changer and used NOMAR rim protectors and yes it did cause the rim to spin, even making sure the clamps were tight,to solve that I now use nylon straps to hold the rim in place while changing tires.

Mine tire changer mounts to my receiver hitch on my car. May go with the floor mount at some point ?

cptjam
11-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Which one? The guys from No-Mar recommended the classic model, and claimed they do Spyder Wheels every day in St.Louis; as the area dealers bring them the wheels. I have two to do as soon as it arrives, and will post up how well she does. Bob, unwrapping will mean taking it out of the box, and putting it together! I’ll spring for a nice bow.....I spoil that woman!!

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-20-2017, 12:06 AM

Now, that's a man-cave!
I imagine his whole house is a man cave! There's no woman in there, I don't believe, at least not a full time one!

jcthorne
11-20-2017, 07:56 AM
Which one? The guys from No-Mar recommended the classic model, and claimed they do Spyder Wheels every day in St.Louis; as the area dealers bring them the wheels. I have two to do as soon as it arrives, and will post up how well she does. Bob, unwrapping will mean taking it out of the box, and putting it together! I’ll spring for a nice bow.....I spoil that woman!!

I bought the NO-MAR CYCLE HILL MOTORCYCLE TIRE CHANGER
on the recommendation of No-Mar. When it would not work, their only response was 'watch the you tube videos.'

They were of no help, I nearly broke and did bend the clamps trying to get it to actually hold the wheel. Sent pictures and they again sent me the standard response to watch the you tube videos. When I asked to return the unit they had recommended and would not work for the purpose they sold it for, they charged me $130 in restocking and other fees. They also refused to accept return of the accessories I purchased for the unit like the nylon edged bead breaker. Now useless to me. All in, they cost me over $300 and a bunch of work mounting it to the shop floor to find out the product does not work on Spyder wheels as designed. No support and awful customer service. I do not recommend their over priced and poorly designed products to anyone.

I have had no similar trouble with the Ranger. Quite the opposite, it worked first try on set up and use.