1 40 ounce can of yams
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mash then beat yams, add other ingredients and beat well. Pour into 9 by 9 pan.

Topping:
1/2 stick butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup chopped pecans
Mix together, pour over yam mixture.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

I've made this a few times, and it disappears fast!

john

ofdave
11-17-2017, 02:51 PM
your friend must know someone in my family
been making that for 20 yrs., got the recipe from my mom who made ot a long time before that.
Worth the prep time-it is good stuff and great leftover too.
I've never seen it thrown out, there's none left to toss!

Chupaca
11-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Sounds yummy..!! :bowdown: wonder how it would work in a pie crust....with a shot of whipped cream....:clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-17-2017, 03:05 PM
I like it :yes::yes::yes:..... I have used this recipe for years ... 40 0z. canned yams ....drain all the syrup into Teflon pot , into a very small cup pore 1 or 2 oz of any red wine , then add 2 tbls of Corn starch , stir very well so there are no lumps .... put into pot with the syrup ..... add 2 cups Dark Brown sugar ... a sprinkle of clove ..... maybe a little Maple syrup .... bring to a boil and stir often ...DO LEAVE UN-ATTENDED :yikes: .... if it Boils Over the MESS will be EPIC :gaah:....... after it reduces to something thick , pour it over the warmed up Yams .... You can make this in advance then just heat and use .........:clap:..... Mike

ARtraveler
11-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Very appropriate. Was thinking about the upcoming Thanksgiving feast last night about 11:00 PM. I have two cans. Think I will give the recipe a try this weekend. :yes:

Iamjoey
11-17-2017, 04:23 PM
JACK DANIELS BOURBON PECAN PIE

This is a favorite during thanksgiving holidays.
2 grade A large eggs (slightly beaten)
1/4 cup dark Karo syrup
3/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons corn starch
8 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Jack Daniels bourbon
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1 bag pecan halves
Preheat the oven to 350°F.Mix eggs and Karo.
Combine sugar and corn starch, add to egg mixture.
Melt chocolate and butter, cool. Add bourbon and combine with egg mixture. Beat together in mixer on slow speed.
Pour into a 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle evenly with pecan halves.
Bake on cookie sheet for one hour. Pie should be firm and will "set-up" while cooling.
Note: If this is made using other brands of bourbon it may not taste as good.
To make an impressive looking pie, lay the pecan halves on top in a circle around the edge and keep making circles until the pie top is covered rather then sprinkling them on top. This is my recipe for pecan pie. If you try it I hope you like it as much as I did when I could eat it for Thanksgiving. I'm back on dialysis and The last time I rode was last March when I started dialysis. Hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. Joe (IamJoey)

ARtraveler
11-17-2017, 05:16 PM
I am liking the direction this thread is taking. :yes::yes::yes:

jcthorne
11-17-2017, 05:26 PM
I and a number of our family have trouble with high sugar deserts. I have taken on the development over the last few years of re-engineering a few of our family favorites without anyone noticing or coming up better than the original and being very low or no sugar. I simply will not keep a recipe that I would not serve to anyone. IE if its not the best I have ever made, the sugar free version is a failure and either needs more work, or is tossed aside and move on.

This year I have made quite a number of iterations of this one to reach my final goal for my new desert this year.

Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake

Crust

1 box Sugar Free pecan short bread cookies
2 cups pecans
1 stick butter

Process cookies and pecans in food processor and then drizzle in melted butter.

Press in bottom of spring form pan.

Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely before adding filling.

Filling

24 oz cream cheese (3 packages) room temperature
1/2 tsp sucralose liquid
15 oz pumpkin puree (1 can)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup greek yogurt plain
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp maple extract
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Using mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.

Add remaining ingrediants and mix slowly until well combined but do not beat.

Pour in springform pan with crust from above. Place in water bath in oven and bake for 1 hour then turn off oven and crack door, let sit in slightly open oven for another hour.

Cool on wire rack and then refrigerate overnight.

Serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of fresh ground nutmeg.

jcthorne
11-17-2017, 05:28 PM
JACK DANIELS BOURBON PECAN PIE

This is a favorite during thanksgiving holidays.
2 grade A large eggs (slightly beaten)
1/4 cup dark Karo syrup
3/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons corn starch
8 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Jack Daniels bourbon
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1 bag pecan halves
Preheat the oven to 350°F.Mix eggs and Karo.
Combine sugar and corn starch, add to egg mixture.
Melt chocolate and butter, cool. Add bourbon and combine with egg mixture. Beat together in mixer on slow speed.
Pour into a 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle evenly with pecan halves.
Bake on cookie sheet for one hour. Pie should be firm and will "set-up" while cooling.
Note: If this is made using other brands of bourbon it may not taste as good.
To make an impressive looking pie, lay the pecan halves on top in a circle around the edge and keep making circles until the pie top is covered rather then sprinkling them on top. This is my recipe for pecan pie. If you try it I hope you like it as much as I did when I could eat it for Thanksgiving. I'm back on dialysis and The last time I rode was last March when I started dialysis. Hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. Joe (IamJoey)

How funny. I have and have used nearly the same recipe from Emeril Lagasse for many years. Only difference is it uses Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon.

ARtraveler
11-17-2017, 05:32 PM
How funny. I have and have used nearly the same recipe from Emeril Lagasse for many years. Only difference is it uses Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon.

I don't think we can go wrong with either. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I usually have one or the other--depending on sale prices sometimes.

Bob Denman
11-17-2017, 05:50 PM
:shocked: Dammit! :gaah:
Now I'm hungry again... and I just filled-up on "Steak Mac 'n Cheese"! :banghead:

Spyder-Mel
11-17-2017, 07:08 PM
I and a number of our family have trouble with high sugar deserts. I have taken on the development over the last few years of re-engineering a few of our family favorites without anyone noticing or coming up better than the original and being very low or no sugar. I simply will not keep a recipe that I would not serve to anyone. IE if its not the best I have ever made, the sugar free version is a failure and either needs more work, or is tossed aside and move on.

This year I have made quite a number of iterations of this one to reach my final goal for my new desert this year.

Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake

Crust

1 box Sugar Free pecan short bread cookies
2 cups pecans
1 stick butter

Process cookies and pecans in food processor and then drizzle in melted butter.

Press in bottom of spring form pan.

Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 8 minutes. Let cool completely before adding filling.

Filling

24 oz cream cheese (3 packages) room temperature
1/2 tsp sucralose liquid
15 oz pumpkin puree (1 can)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup greek yogurt plain
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp maple extract
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Using mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.

Add remaining ingrediants and mix slowly until well combined but do not beat.

Pour in springform pan with crust from above. Place in water bath in oven and bake for 1 hour then turn off oven and crack door, let sit in slightly open oven for another hour.

Cool on wire rack and then refrigerate overnight.

Serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of fresh ground nutmeg.

I will have a piece of this along with my piece of your famous French Silk Pie. (yummy)