PDA

View Full Version : Im 70 + yeras old -- but I still did this, by myself

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Because My garage roof has a low pitch and is 32ft. X 26 ft. ... and not metal covered.... Every Winter I shovel it ... to prevent collapse from Deep snow and then Rain .... I decided it's not wise for me to be doing this, so I'm not going to ..... However I'm not stupid , so I bought two Versa-Lam beams from Boise- Cascade ... each is 26' long x 14 " tall and 1 3/4" thick ... they weigh about 175lbs each ... not really heavy but extremely cumbersome .... I have never been someone who relies on others to get stuff done :dontknow: ...it's just me. Well today I erected both beams under my roof joists. the beams must be bolted together for them to work, I almost got that done also ....... and NO I didn't just pick them up and put them on the posts secured to either side wall .... I used a small Rachet-winch ( ie. a come-along ) to elevate them to the bottom of the roof joists ... Sooooo now I'm really ready for Winter :yes::yes::yes: ..........PS. never think you can't do something just because you haven't done it before ....PPS the lumber company people said they could Lift and place the Beam ( after I bought it ).... for $750.00 :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... Mike :thumbup: .................. The pics are posted on this new Thread ...." Pictures ..... from Mike " by Chupaca ............:clap:thanks again Gene

Bob Denman
11-14-2017, 06:10 PM
:clap: :congrats: :firstplace: :2thumbs:
A picture of it would be nice... :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-14-2017, 06:15 PM
:agree: .... I'll send you one :yes:...... Mike :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
11-14-2017, 06:15 PM
Even without a pic or 2 (which admittedly would be good) it's still a damn fine achievement! :thumbup:

Good stuff, & smart move on using the come-along from the set to - I generally don't think of doing things like that until I've come close to busting my pooper trying to lift heavy things that I used to just throw around! :sour: But I'm getting better at thinking first, then breaking things! ;)

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Because My garage roof has a low pitch and is 32ft. X 26 ft. ... and not metal covered.... Every Winter I shovel it ... to prevent collapse from Deep snow and then Rain .... I decided it's not wise for me to be doing this, so I'm not going to ..... However I'm not stupid , so I bought two Versa-Lam beams from Boise- Cascade ... each is 26' long x 14 " tall and 1 3/4" thick ... they weigh about 175lbs each
Smart using narrow and deep beams. The bending strength is directly proportional to width but cubic proportional to depth. For example, a 1 x 6 on edge is stiffer than a 2 x 4 on edge. But you do have to take precaution to keep the beam from twisting and bending sideways, which it sounds like you are doing.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Even without a pic or 2 (which admittedly would be good) it's still a damn fine achievement! :thumbup:

Good stuff, & smart move on using the come-along from the set to - I generally don't think of doing things like that until I've come close to busting my pooper trying to lift heavy things that I used to just throw around! :sour: But I'm getting better at thinking first, then breaking things! ;)
Bob Denman has the pics .... I sent them to him 20 minutes ago :dontknow: ........ Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Smart using narrow and deep beams. The bending strength is directly proportional to width but cubic proportional to depth. For example, a 1 x 6 on edge is stiffer than a 2 x 4 on edge. But you do have to take precaution to keep the beam from twisting and bending sideways, which it sounds like you are doing. If Bob posts them you will see each end where it meets the wall, it is locked in with 2x4's on a 4x6 post .... then I will add shims and side bracing where the roof joists meet the beam ...... Tanks ... Mike :thumbup:

easysuper
11-14-2017, 07:14 PM
I also try to do what I can by myself and try not to rely on others, while not 70+ one of my by myself projects was building my house, grant you I was 55 at the time but was determined to do it alone and with my wife's help , I took 3 months off of work and we accomplished it in 97 days start to finish, the only thing I did not do was hang the wall board and plaster as (they could do it in one week) and stretch the carpet, I formed the foundation, poured it, framed the structure,sided it, set trusses , roofed, plumed, wired, did all the HVAC, built the cabinets,tiled the floor,and painted, every nail and screw was mine. I lost 35 pounds in the 3 months as I had pretty much quit working with my tool bags on and was running jobs so was out of shape. The hardest part was standing the trusses by myself as they were 6 & 12 pitch and a 25 foot span. But the day we moved in was one of the greatest feeling of accomplishments I've felt , next to seeing my son graduate from college and holding his first born.
155591 155592 155593 155594

bmccaffrey
11-14-2017, 08:10 PM

yeah yeah
so we can see what u talking about

vided
11-14-2017, 08:30 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

quasi
11-14-2017, 10:28 PM
LVL's, glulams, laminated beams, whatever the term, are the way to go for support. I used several of them when I built my house. and after almost 20 years no sags.

Chupaca
11-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Congrats on getting her done..!!:clap:now that you can settle down for the winter, and I can rock the canyon wall, we can get back to the task at hand....📸's..⬆️'ing

Eviltwin
11-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Congrats and good job. You're only as old as you feel. :yes:

So why do I feel like I'm 90 some days....:banghead::joke:

Bob Denman
11-15-2017, 09:12 AM
when Bob gets the pics: Bob'll post them in here... :thumbup:
Mike didn't know that I have no way to accept a text message on my phone system... :opps:

PrairieSpyder
11-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Way to go, Mike! Another idea would have been installing heat strips on the roof so the snow would melt and slide off.

I also try to do what I can by myself and try not to rely on others, while not 70+ one of my by myself projects was building my house, grant you I was 55 at the time but was determined to do it alone and with my wife's help , I took 3 months off of work and we accomplished it in 97 days start to finish, the only thing I did not do was hang the wall board and plaster as (they could do it in one week) and stretch the carpet, I formed the foundation, poured it, framed the structure,sided it, set trusses , roofed, plumed, wired, did all the HVAC, built the cabinets,tiled the floor,and painted, every nail and screw was mine. I lost 35 pounds in the 3 months as I had pretty much quit working with my tool bags on and was running jobs so was out of shape. The hardest part was standing the trusses by myself as they were 6 & 12 pitch and a 25 foot span. But the day we moved in was one of the greatest feeling of accomplishments I've felt , next to seeing my son graduate from college and holding his first born.
155591 155592 155593 155594

I've been there and it is a lovely house. Good job!

Bob Denman
11-15-2017, 11:44 AM
:agree: I was going to suggest a metal roof... :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Patti, on a low pitch , shingle roof, ( like mine ) heat strips would actually make the situation worse.....on a more normal steep pitch roof covered in metal snow will generally slide of it's own weight ..........ANNNNNNNNNNNNND I just finished bolting the two beams together, and put some 2 x 4 blocking on the wall to prevent any sideways movement of the beam :yes::yes::yes:....I'll send some PICS to Gene aka Chupaca , I'm sure He can post them here :clap: ...... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-15-2017, 02:13 PM
:congrats: on your job. :yes:

Chupaca
11-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Check the other thread...."Pictures....from Mike".....:thumbup:

Ranman42
11-15-2017, 09:50 PM
You folks are all so talented. I can't stick two pieces of wood together with a nail and get it to stay.

handy I am not!

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-16-2017, 08:43 AM
shameless bump :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-16-2017, 09:30 AM
:D You've earned the right to Bump it... :thumbup: