PDA

View Full Version : Extended Winter Storage Prep?

Tomline
11-14-2017, 08:45 AM
This will be my second winter to store the Spyder and it will be different than the last. 1)The unit/building will be heated,same as last winter. 2) But, I Will Not Have Access to it! Last year I could come & go as I pleased and start it and run it for 10-15 minutes. 3)I'm not sure, but I think I won't be able to have it on a battery tender. The storage unit owner will have possibly 200 bikes, mostly Harleys, in the unit. They said to fill the fuel tank and put Stabil in it. EXACTLY WHAT KIND & HOW MUCH if you don't mind my asking? Also If I can't use my battery tender I should remove the battery and keep it warm and cozy at home in my heated basement/cellar and on a tender? What is involved in removing the battery for storage? Body panels that need to be removed to access to battery? I really enjoyed my summer of riding with No Problems and with the proper storage hope to next summer! I did have an oil change done before it going onto storage last fall and will do it again before it goes into the storage unit/building. Any Help/Suggestions will be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks!

Highwayman2013
11-14-2017, 09:18 AM
This will be my second winter to store the Spyder and it will be different than the last. 1)The unit/building will be heated,same as last winter. 2) But, I Will Not Have Access to it! Last year I could come & go as I pleased and start it and run it for 10-15 minutes. 3)I'm not sure, but I think I won't be able to have it on a battery tender. The storage unit owner will have possibly 200 bikes, mostly Harleys, in the unit. They said to fill the fuel tank and put Stabil in it. EXACTLY WHAT KIND & HOW MUCH if you don't mind my asking? Also If I can't use my battery tender I should remove the battery and keep it warm and cozy at home in my heated basement/cellar and on a tender? What is involved in removing the battery for storage? Body panels that need to be removed to access to battery? I really enjoyed my summer of riding with No Problems and with the proper storage hope to next summer! I did have an oil change done before it going onto storage last fall and will do it again before it goes into the storage unit/building. Any Help/Suggestions will be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks!
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/ I would remove the battery and put it on a tender at home. You have to remove a couple of left side panels on a 2012 RT to get to the battery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCsNYNU6eYo&t=8s

AeroPilot
11-14-2017, 09:24 AM
While the earlier models had the battery under the seat it was a chore to get out or replace. Charge it up before dropping it off and hope for the best. Your oil change before storage is a good idea and any Stabil product should be good with I believe about an ounce per gal of fuel. Fuel it up and then take it on a twenty mile run to get it through the system before parking it. Pressure up the tires to 20 psi front and 30 rear and if you have some carpet squares to park it on you should be good to go. Just my 2 cents.

Mazo EMS2
11-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Put a half tank of fuel in it with some Blue Marine Stabil. I do a half tank so I have the other half of the tank to add fresh fuel in the spring.There are mixing instructions on the bottle, but I think a couple of ounces is a great plenty. Put the stabil in before the gas so it gets good n mixed up. Let it run for a good while to make sure that treated fuel gets through the fuel system. Put a few extra pounds of air in all the tires, and pull the battery as planned. If there is risk of critters in the storage area, clean out all the compartments and clean them good with some sort of cleaner to make sure there is no smell of food at all to attract the little pests. I would also leave the cover off of it too if there are critters. You don't wanna create any "safe place" for 'em. I like to change my oil and filter prior to storage to get the crud out, but that's a never ending argument, both sides being correct. If you have the SM5 a clutch fluid change may be in order too.

Blue Star
11-14-2017, 05:23 PM
I am storing my spyder for the winter for the first time this year. While the F3 will be in California, I will not. I have the tender, and understand the fuel treatment, but why the carpet under the wheels? I have read about using pieces of cardboard too.

While the earlier models had the battery under the seat it was a chore to get out or replace. Charge it up before dropping it off and hope for the best. Your oil change before storage is a good idea and any Stabil product should be good with I believe about an ounce per gal of fuel. Fuel it up and then take it on a twenty mile run to get it through the system before parking it. Pressure up the tires to 20 psi front and 30 rear and if you have some carpet squares to park it on you should be good to go. Just my 2 cents.

ofdave
11-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Sta-Bil is a brand name. Follow the directions on the bottle and you'll be fine. The directions will tell you to fill the tank to 95%. Less than that allows for more moisture buildup in the gas-not a good thing.
here is from their site
"Use STA-BILŽ Fuel Stabilizer in any gasoline-powered vehicle or equipment you plan to store for 30-days or longer. It keeps the fuel fresh for up to 24 months during storage, eliminating the need to drain your tank. Works effectively in all gasoline blends, including Ethanol-blended fuel, up to E-85. 1-ounce (30-milliliter) treats up to 2˝ gallons (9.5-liters) of fuel. Use STA-BILŽ only with fresh fuel, and keep gas can or tank 95% full to avoid condensation build up in tank during storage. Run Engine for 5 minutes after adding product to treat entire fuel system. Product does not contain alcohol. Perfect for collector cars, generators, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc."

Highwayman gives good advice on the battery.

asp125
11-15-2017, 10:22 AM
The less air space in the fuel tank the better, empty space invites condensation. Use a fuel stabilizer that is formulated to treat ethanol in gas, hence the "marine" suggestion. The battery should be removed and taken home, put on a charger. Carpet and cardboard, to some, keeps the acidic cement from interacting with the rubber in tires. Personally I park my bikes on concrete all season, so I don't see why it would be different in winter storage.