PDA

View Full Version : Largest propeller airplane

Cavman
11-12-2017, 05:52 PM
https://m.wimp.com/the-biggest-propeller-plane-in-the-world-really-is-a-thing-to-behold/

Bob Denman
11-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Soooo... how much larger is it, than the Spruce Goose? :dontknow:

Chupaca
11-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Those four little engines must crank out some ponies...:yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-12-2017, 08:35 PM
That airplane version is over 50 years old! When first built it was the largest airplane in the world.

Peter Aawen
11-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Those four little engines must crank out some ponies...:yikes:

Sure does, & they ain't little ponies either!! :shocked:

IIRR, the 4 engines on that particular Antonov variant are Kuznetsov NK-12 turbo-prop engines each running 2 x 4 bladed contra-rotating props & putting out something like 15,000 horsepower EACH!!

Sooo.... Not only is the aircraft the largest turbo-prop driven aircraft in the world, but also the engines are the most powerful turbo-prop engines in the world too!! They crank out some pretty powerful GREAT-horses, not just ponies! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
11-13-2017, 11:32 AM
The take off was interesting. They didn't seem to rotate until it was off the ground.

ARtraveler
11-13-2017, 03:51 PM
I am thinking the Spruce Goose was a bit bigger. Eight engines, 320 foot wingspan and 17 foot propellers. Not finding numbers on the Antonov at this time. :dontknow::dontknow:

Spruce Goose flew on Nov 2, 1947. Its first and only flight.

BigGuy66
11-13-2017, 04:01 PM
...why they would use the turboprops instead of jet engines? I don't know enough about physics and engineering to know that! Anyone... anyone? (Ben Stein, Economics Teacher, Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

RinconRyder
11-13-2017, 04:29 PM
...why they would use the turboprops instead of jet engines? I don't know enough about physics and engineering to know that! Anyone... anyone? (Ben Stein, Economics Teacher, Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Ref: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Turboprop_Engine

Summary: Turboprops are more efficient in lower and slower flight than jets and can better use short takeoff and landing runways. (https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Turboprop_Engine)

classicvw
11-13-2017, 05:36 PM
I am thinking the Spruce Goose was a bit bigger. Eight engines, 320 foot wingspan and 17 foot propellers. Not finding numbers on the Antonov at this time. :dontknow::dontknow:

Spruce Goose flew on Nov 2, 1947. Its first and only flight.

Much controversy on whether the Spruce Goose actually "flew" enough to be considered a flight because it apparently stayed in ground effect. I tend to agree.

ARtraveler
11-13-2017, 06:00 PM
The reading information I got when I googled Spruce Goose mentioned that HH felt some kind of a glitch and decided not to take it out any further for fear it my go out of control when it got to actual flying mode.

The original flight was kind of a loop around the Bay if I remember correctly.

HH followers mention he claimed he was not "afraid" to fly it--but no further flights were needed because he proved his point to Congress. It would fly, and, it was no longer needed because the war was over. :dontknow:

Wood construction for airplanes was pretty much at an end by then. I am thinking several hundred hours of shaking by the eight engines would quickly take its toll on the structural integrity.

jerpinoy
11-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Impressive and had their time in history.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-13-2017, 09:45 PM
The reading information I got when I googled Spruce Goose mentioned that HH felt some kind of a glitch and decided not to take it out any further for fear it my go out of control when it got to actual flying mode.

The original flight was kind of a loop around the Bay if I remember correctly.

HH followers mention he claimed he was not "afraid" to fly it--but no further flights were needed because he proved his point to Congress. It would fly, and, it was no longer needed because the war was over. :dontknow:

Wood construction for airplanes was pretty much at an end by then. I am thinking several hundred hours of shaking by the eight engines would quickly take its toll on the structural integrity.
Was wood being used for any airplane in the 40's other than model airplanes? The first all metal plane was the P26 and it was built in the mid 30's. I believe all production military planes after that were metal.

BigGuy66
11-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Ref: https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Turboprop_Engine

Summary: Turboprops are more efficient in lower and slower flight than jets and can better use short takeoff and landing runways. (https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/AP4ATCO_-_Turboprop_Engine)

...this part really helped me understand...
"Advantages and disadvantages of the turboprop engine
Advantages: • in dense air, i.e. lower levels, a propeller has a higher efficiency than jet exhaust; • generally turboprop aircraft can operate into shorter runways than jets; • the propeller can be feathered to minimize drag in the event of engine failure, which is not possible for jet or turbofan engines. • mechanical reliability due to relatively few moving parts; • light weight; • simplicity of operation; • high power per unit of weight;

Disadvantages: • propellers lose efficiency at high altitudes; • vibration levels can cause slight passenger discomfort; • en-route weather (icing/turbulence) can cause problems and additional passenger discomfort due to operating altitudes (often in clouds); • older generation turboprops are slow."

Very helpful... Jim

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Here's a sharper copy of the text and specs of the P26A.

WilderThomas
11-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Was wood being used for any airplane in the 40's other than model airplanes? The first all metal plane was the P26 and it was built in the mid 30's. I believe all production military planes after that were metal.

The Spitfire, used by the RAF during WW2, primarily during the Battle of Britain, were made of wood. Training planes at Tuskegee Army Airfield, were made of wood. And I believe Stearman biplanes were as well.

classicvw
11-14-2017, 08:56 AM
We can't forget about the deHavilland Mosquito! Able to fly faster and higher than a Spitfire. It drove the Luftwaffe crazy, most times not being picked up by radar.

ARtraveler
11-14-2017, 01:03 PM

Good Point. :bowdown::bowdown:

PrairieSpyder
11-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Wood frames were used in general aviation aircraft well into the '50s.