PDA

View Full Version : Do Motorcycle Trailers require licensing in Texas?

Spider-man
11-09-2017, 02:56 PM
I just bought a used trailer to pull behind my Spyder. The seller had no title, and tells me he "doesn't think" a trailer under 4,000 lbs requires plates. He's never had one on it. It's a commercially manufactured trailer, but there is no VIN plate or anything like that. The trailer is a few years old, and has no place to even put a license plate. I've seen lots of trailers behind bikes, and I think most or all of them had plates. Anybody know for sure? The TXDOT websites are not clear to me at all on this topic.

Thanks

ARtraveler
11-09-2017, 03:05 PM
You should probably check with Texas DMV to find out for sure. Most states require title and license plate. Got to get that extra $15 or so out of everyone who uses the roads and facilities in the State. :roflblack:

classicvw
11-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Here you go...

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

ARtraveler
11-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Good information. Thanks for posting. :yes:

Spider-man
11-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Here you go...

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

As I said, I've checked this site and it's still not clear to me. This seems to provide clear guidelines for trailers over 4000 pounds, but what about under?

ARtraveler
11-09-2017, 03:35 PM
IMO--if your under 4,000 limit (and I don't know about the trailer wt), you should be all right. But--trust but verify. A visit to the DMV or a call to a real person might be in order for you.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

JayBros
11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
I agree with akspyderman. You need to complete the U-130 form marked for registration only and take it to your DMV office with the bill of sale and the appropriate number of shekels to get your registration and tag.

M109Dreamer
11-09-2017, 04:45 PM
We have a RT-622 and when we went down to register, they just needed the bill of sale and the previous registration. Ours did have a title, but the lady said it wasn't required for trailers under 4k lbs. But we went ahead and had the title changed since it had one anyways. Just in case we move out of state down the road.

classicvw
11-09-2017, 05:27 PM
As I said, I've checked this site and it's still not clear to me. This seems to provide clear guidelines for trailers over 4000 pounds, but what about under?

It's clear to me that over 4000lbs gross weight needs a title.
Under 4000 needs a bill of sale and a previous registration.

robtdonna
11-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Bought a new RT in Texas in 2014. Also bought a single axle, 77" x 10' open trailer to haul it. They gave me a temp plate until I returned to Georgia. So I'd say yes, you need a plate.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2017, 12:45 AM
I read it as saying ALL trailers pulled on a public road must be registered. Only those over 4000 GVW must be titled. Title does not equal registration.

Louisiana requires title and registration for all trailers. Idaho requires title only of those over 2,000 lbs. When I moved from LA to Idaho I brought my trailer with me. Since Idaho didn't require it to be titled I just registered it. I have an Idaho registration and Louisiana title on it!

cruisinTX
11-10-2017, 08:10 AM
I have a 5' x 8' that had to be registered and tagged. It is not even close to the 4000lb GVW number.

Spider-man
11-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Thanks all. I called the TX DMV, and the genius I talked to was also vague, but did appear to confirm what y’all are saying. It’s never been registered, but I’ll bring the bill of sale in and see what they want me to do. I’ll probably refer to it as homemade since that seems to be the least hassle.

cruisinTX
11-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks all. I called the TX DMV, and the genius I talked to was also vague, but did appear to confirm what y’all are saying. It’s never been registered, but I’ll bring the bill of sale in and see what they want me to do. I’ll probably refer to it as homemade since that seems to be the least hassle.

I was planning to build my own several years ago and did some checking with TxDOT and DMV; home-made trailers are required to have an inspection by DMV. That could be more of a hassle; something to think about beforehand. If it was manufactured by a shop somewhere, there should be some kind of markings on it indicating that. My little trailer was made by Texas Bragg Trailers and has stamped markings just behind the hitch that are hard to see, but there. They show manufacturer, date of mfg, wgt. rating and a VIN#.

classicvw
11-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Check everywhere for a VIN sticker or plate. I was always used to older trailers that had a stamped, raised VIN somewhere but a sticker can be placed in tight places such as under a square tube axle.

Also, If your DMV office gives you a hassle, try another office! I'm serious. Different DMV workers in many instances, interpret the rules differently.

I recently bought a used Kendon trailer from out of state (NY State). NY does not title a trailer. In NY, the paper registration is all they need to prove ownership. So, I brought the PO's NY reg. and a Bill of Sale that we filled out ourselves to NJ DMV. NJ said the B.O.S. needed to be notarized. So back and forth to the PO thru the mail it went. I then returned with it to NJ DMV. I was told to go home and make a pencil tracing of the VIN and return with that and the paperwork. When I looked for the VIN, it wasn't a stamped on thing, nor was it an attached VIN plate, but was a white VIN sticker. And the sticker had a scratch on it going right thru a few letters of the VIN! I was convinced I was screwed. I took photos and returned to the DMV. After waiting in line, I was face to face with a different DMV worker than my previous visit. I laid out all my paperwork, including the photos, and started to speak about the VIN sticker's scratch. She shook her head and cut me off and said "We don't need all that stuff" and pushed it back across the counter to me. In two minutes she handed me my registration !

PrairieSpyder
11-10-2017, 09:26 AM
I read it as saying ALL trailers pulled on a public road must be registered. . . .

Not so. :lecturef_smilie: It depends on the State. Kansas will not register trailers under a certain weight. So I go around the country without tags on my pull-behind trailer and my Aluma flat-bed.

ingramsail
11-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Most all trailers in TX need a tag, only exempt are farm trailers. You will need the bill of sale with the vin# on it. There should be a vin# on the frame somewhere, the manufacturer would have stamped it in two places as a general rule. If there is no vin# you will need to request one from DMV. You can usually get this done at your local tax office, have fun.

scooterexpress
11-10-2017, 10:54 AM
I bought a trailer to pll behind rt and my buddy just had the renewal notice I told the guy at dmv I paid 150 had to pay tax on that but I got a plate and tag it has no vin and doesn't need any tx law any trailer on the road needs a plate andtag the sad news is the tag is just as much as my truck tag basically one size fits all here in txs

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Not so. :lecturef_smilie: It depends on the State. Kansas will not register trailers under a certain weight. So I go around the country without tags on my pull-behind trailer and my Aluma flat-bed.
To clarify, I was referring to the TX law. All trailers owned by TX residents pulled on highways must be registered in TX.

cruisinTX
11-10-2017, 02:04 PM
I bought a trailer to pll behind rt and my buddy just had the renewal notice I told the guy at dmv I paid 150 had to pay tax on that but I got a plate and tag it has no vin and doesn't need any tx law any trailer on the road needs a plate andtag the sad news is the tag is just as much as my truck tag basically one size fits all here in txs

Unless there were other circumstances, you need to talk to the person who charged you the same fee as for your truck. From this site, https://www.texascarregistration.org/fees, the fees are not the same for trailers as for passenger cars and trucks. granted the fees are not that far apart, but not the same.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2017, 02:07 PM
I’ll probably refer to it as homemade since that seems to be the least hassle.
Not a legal option according to what I read. You might get by doing that but if a mfr name comes up plan on conforming to the rules for mfg'd trailers.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I have a 5' x 8' that had to be registered and tagged. It is not even close to the 4000lb GVW number.
Registered and tagged, yes. Titled, no. Don't confuse the two requirements.

cruisinTX
11-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Registered and tagged, yes. Titled, no. Don't confuse the two requirements.

I'm not confusing the two, the OP asked a couple of questions. I addressed the part about registered and tagged; that's all. Mine also has a title even though it is not required for one of it's size.

classicvw
11-10-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm not confusing the two, the OP asked a couple of questions. I addressed the part about registered and tagged; that's all. Mine also has a title even though it is not required for one of it's size.

To be fair, it did seem you confused the two when you mentioned registered and tagged and then said it wasn't close to the 4,000lb weight number. Over 4,000lb - title. Under 4,000lb no title.

Yazz
11-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Yup, you need a plate...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28298&d=1308617507

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Yup, you need a plate...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28298&d=1308617507

I'm going to digress from the topic of this thread for a bit!

The drive friendly slogan on the sign prompts an observation from years ago. I was in Shreveport, LA doing a two week quality audit at an Army ammo plant. Since I had the weekend with nothing to do I decided to drive to Dallas and see the set for J.R. Ewing and Dallas TV show. Along the way I was driving on a multi-lane expressway fairly heavy with traffic. Cars in all the lanes were driving at all sorts of speeds with no left to right order at all for fast to slow! I decided that every Texas car had an invisible bumper sticker on the back that said, "I'll drive in any lane at any speed I want to, and if you don't like it you can kiss my bumper!" :roflblack:

Spider-man
11-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Yup, you need a plate...

Funny, that looks just like the trailer I bought!

canamjhb
11-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Bought my Spyder and 622 trailer in Oklahoma. A real nightmare getting the trailer titled and registered here in Arid-Zone-A, which is required here. Paper trail is crucial. From what I can tell, trailers do not exist in the eyes of the state of Oklahoma.

classicvw
11-11-2017, 11:58 AM

The drive friendly slogan on the sign prompts an observation from years ago. I was in Shreveport, LA doing a two week quality audit at an Army ammo plant. Since I had the weekend with nothing to do I decided to drive to Dallas and see the set for J.R. Ewing and Dallas TV show. Along the way I was driving on a multi-lane expressway fairly heavy with traffic. Cars in all the lanes were driving at all sorts of speeds with no left to right order at all for fast to slow! I decided that every Texas car had an invisible bumper sticker on the back that said, "I'll drive in any lane at any speed I want to, and if you don't like it you can kiss my bumper!" :roflblack:

It's funny that New Jersey just had a "Drive Friendly" program.
Our invisible bumper stickers are very similar--- "F%$k Off! Who are you to tell me how to drive?!"

Yazz
11-12-2017, 08:36 PM

We're a friendly bunch of folks down here. In fact, the heavy traffic you get in the big cities, it's ok to pass on the right. No need to get your panties in a bunch. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-12-2017, 08:51 PM
We're a friendly bunch of folks down here. In fact, the heavy traffic you get in the big cities, it's ok to pass on the right. No need to get your panties in a bunch. :thumbup:
I might be exaggerating but as I recall it was something like pass on the right, move two lanes left to pass one car, then back three lanes right to pass two cars, then left a lane to pass a few cars, and on and on back and forth trying to go by cars or let cars go by. What I do remember for sure is it sure was a frustrating many miles at one point!! :D