PDA

View Full Version : 2018 all new Gold Wing

Rogue Hawk
11-09-2017, 11:52 AM
This is not your fathers Gold Wing. It looks like a fighter jet.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-honda-gl1800-gold-wing-tour-motorcycle-review

mxz600
11-09-2017, 11:59 AM
That is one sweet ride. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Yes...very nice. We talked a bit about the GW a couple weeks back.

Pictured in #2 is the base (F6) version. The deluxe will have the tour trunk with it.

The six speed semi auto shifting is new for the wing also. UPDATED BELOW>

Glad I already bought something in two wheels--that will prevent me from going down to the dealer and getting one. The prices remain in the mid to high twenties.

Just got the latest copy of Rider magazine. Pictured in there were the new HD road bikes (as in touring cruisers--CVO models). They are sporting prices starting in the low $4's. $40K for a cruiser? I don't think so here anyway. This might be a big slam on the brakes for the progress of the brand?????????????

:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Peteoz
11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
That is one sweet ride. :thumbup:

Yeah, if I decide to go back to two wheels after my hip op (as opposed to hip hop), this would be the one for me, especially if I can get some highway pegs where those front tipover protectors are. With the semi auto and handlebar brake I can leave my feet on the highway pegs mostly which allows for loooooong legs. :thumbup:

Pete

classicvw
11-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Looks like they went for the look of the BMW Bagger.

WA5VHU
11-09-2017, 11:13 PM
The new Goldwing is available with manual and automatic (DCT) transmissions.

The automatic transmission is not a semi-automatic transmission, it is fully automatic. It up-shifts and down-shifts automatically with no user input required. It can also be put in the manual mode and shifted with the finger-thumb paddle shifters on the handlebar. There is no clutch handle, the dual clutch is operated by the computer.

It is the same type of operation as the DCT on the Honda NC700X DCT ABS that I had and the CTX700 DCT ABS that I have now. I love the DCT and would only very reluctantly go back to a manual or a semi-automatic like the Spyder has.

Three NC's, two DCT and a manual in the middle:

cptjam
11-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Ordered. Hoping by mid January. In white, with a manual transmission. I like shifting! Looks like my beloved ST 1300 on steroids. A bit down on power from the KTM, but Honda reliability is very attractive! I will get the trunk removal kit for around town, and put the top box on for trips. Hope to see one in the flesh at Long Beach next weekend! 😃

ARtraveler
11-10-2017, 02:47 PM
The new Goldwing is available with manual and automatic (DCT) transmissions.

The automatic transmission is not a semi-automatic transmission, it is fully automatic. It up-shifts and down-shifts automatically with no user input required. It can also be put in the manual mode and shifted with the finger-thumb paddle shifters on the handlebar. There is no clutch handle, the dual clutch is operated by the computer.

It is the same type of operation as the DCT on the Honda NC700X DCT ABS that I had and the CTX700 DCT ABS that I have now. I love the DCT and would only very reluctantly go back to a manual or a semi-automatic like the Spyder has.

Three NC's, two DCT and a manual in the middle:

Thank you for the update on the tranny. I drove an early version of the auto in 1976. I had one of the 750 Hondamatics.

The fully auto function will be a nice touch for most. Given the paddle shift option--and you have the best of both worlds. :yes::yes:

ARtraveler
11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Ordered. Hoping by mid January. In white, with a manual transmission. I like shifting! Looks like my beloved ST 1300 on steroids. A bit down on power from the KTM, but Honda reliability is very attractive! I will get the trunk removal kit for around town, and put the top box on for trips. Hope to see one in the flesh at Long Beach next weekend! ��

:congrats: in advance. I am thinking you are going to like this one A LOT. :bowdown::bowdown::firstplace::firstplace: