PDA

View Full Version : 270 miles around the Panhandle

cruisinTX
11-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Had a great ride around the Texas Panhandle yesterday on our Spyder along with a friend on his HD. Our first stop was for lunch at the Brick Street Grill in Spearman. It was our second visit and his first. We were not disappointed and he claimed his desert was the best he'd ever had saying he would ride back up there just for that. After lunch we worked our way over to Lake Fryer south of Perryton where the colors were pretty good. Next we headed on south to Canadian & Lake Marvin hoping for more good fall colors. Unfortunately, as usual, the fall colors there were very disappointing. I think the whole fall color change in Canadian is one of the biggest myths in the Panhandle. I have been up there at least 6 or 7 times over the past 17 years and have yet to see anything better than yesterday. There was better color in town and along Hwy 60 heading out, but we were tired and ready to get home so didn't take any shots.

cruisinTX
11-05-2017, 08:43 AM
more. . .

cruisinTX
11-05-2017, 08:48 AM
and a few more. . . .

Chupaca
11-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Aren't you glad your not in like Louisiana or Florida where it is like perpetually green...:roflblack: thanks for the tag-a-long you have some great pic's..:thumbup:

cruisinTX
11-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Aren't you glad your not in like Louisiana or Florida where it is like perpetually green...:roflblack: thanks for the tag-a-long you have some great pic's..:thumbup:

It would be nice to have more trees and more green, but there is something to be said for a definite changing of seasons.

AeroPilot
11-07-2017, 09:02 AM
I remember taking a loop from Amarillo to Spearman, Perryton, and back through Panhandle on my Yamaha this time of year in the 80s. Thanks for the pictures. Good Memories!

cruisinTX
11-07-2017, 09:19 AM
I remember taking a loop from Amarillo to Spearman, Perryton, and back through Panhandle on my Yamaha this time of year in the 80s. Thanks for the pictures. Good Memories!

Here is the route we took Saturday.

BigGuy66
11-07-2017, 11:16 AM
...a wonderful ride - I haven't seen the landscapes of Texas and the pics were a good help...
Jim

canamjhb
11-07-2017, 11:32 AM
I rode through there last May on my way from Tulsa to Mesa. Followed US60. I stopped in a little Texas boarder town named Higgins for a snack. Little old lady running the Doughnut Café. I was the only customer. She fixed me a great grilled cheese sandwich along with a soda and lots of chips. Came time to pay and I asked her how much? She said, oh, 3 bucks. I gave her a five. Pretty country indeed

ARtraveler
11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Great pictures. Another card on the pile for changing seasons. We do get stuck with about five months of white though. The rest of the time--it changes noticeably from week to week. :yes:

cruisinTX
11-07-2017, 10:12 PM
...a wonderful ride - I haven't seen the landscapes of Texas and the pics were a good help...
Jim

Oh gosh, these were of some of the flatter parts of the Panhandle--what most folks envision for us. I'll be taking more of some pretty hilly terrain and river breaks soon. And the Panhandle is just 26 counties out of over 250 total. We have everything from dessert plains to pine forest to 8000ft mountains here with over 675,000 miles of road ways to see it all. come on down!

You might want to check out the_bandit's post (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?109304-Trip-to-Palo-Duro-Canyon) about Palo Duro Canyon (http://palodurocanyon.com/) too. There are some pretty good photos of the second largest canyon. in the lower 48.