PDA

View Full Version : MY PORSCHE - 917

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Well I finally found a shipper and it's on it's way from Arizona :yes:...... All is not happiness tho, because His rig is about 70 feet long and has only 8 inches of ground clearance .... so Un-loading at my house isn't possible ( they won't drop on a Highway :banghead: ) .... but there is a pull-off about 2 miles away :clap:...... of course I would have to STIFF hitch it to my home , and I could ,but not thrilled ........ So I went to the pull-off , put my truck in Neutral to see how far I could get :dontknow: .... well surprise, surprise , when I got to my driveway ( 2.2 miles ) I had to put the brakes on :lecturef_smilie: ...so I could safely make the turn. Yes the parking area was up-hill from me, but not always, for some of it I was climbing ..... anyhow Yankee Ingenuity prevails .... Now I hoping the weather holds and it's not snowing the day of arrival ...... please keep your fingers crossed for me :dg1:.... Mike :thumbup:

vided
11-04-2017, 03:18 PM

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 03:26 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:......That's the spirit ---THANKS ...Mike :ohyea:

Peter Aawen
11-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Yeah, altho I might not be trying that ^^ anytime soon!! My fingers are still crossed for the safe arrival for you!

Good Luck :thumbup: :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
11-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Fingers crossed here for you also. Porsche? :firstplace::firstplace::firstplace::firstplace:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Fingers crossed here for you also. Porsche? :firstplace::firstplace::firstplace::firstplace:
If you google Porsche 917 & click the pics .... that's it ....in GULF colors :yes::yes:..Mike

oldguyinTX
11-04-2017, 04:21 PM
My question is - where the heck are you gonna drive a 917? Unless you're planning on heading to Le Mans.

Bob Denman
11-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Have you figured out the "picture-thing" yet? We'd lover to see YOUR 917! :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Have you figured out the "picture-thing" yet? We'd lover to see YOUR 917! :2thumbs:
:yikes: ... Since it hasn't been delivered yet !!!! .... but you can also Google Porsche 917 ...they have hundreds of pics .... I'm painting the one I get in GULF colors .... like the one Steve McQueen drove ..... Mike :thumbup:

Peteoz
11-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Like this -

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Like this -
155217 Sooooooooooooo close .... I'm gonna do the lower nose in orange also .............Thanks for posting :clap:..... Mike

Peteoz
11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Sooooooooooooo close .... I'm gonna do the lower nose also .............Thanks for posting :clap:..... Mike

So where do you drive it, Mike? Just track days ? I’d love to see that out on the road, but I can’t imagine it would be possible :shocked::thumbup:

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 06:40 PM
So where do you drive it, Mike? Just track days ? I’d love to see that out on the road, but I can’t imagine it would be possible :shocked::thumbup:

Pete
Pete, this isn't a REAL one ... the one that Steve McQueen drove just sold for 14.5 .... MILLION :yikes: .... A former NASA engineer built this one using a Body made by a now-defunct company called " ELITE ". It was dyno-ed @ 400 hp... it is a mid-engine V-8 and weighs 1850lbs ....So this is the rest of the story ........PS if you could Add a side shot that would be Perfect ...... Mike :thumbup:

Peteoz
11-04-2017, 07:06 PM
.......pfffft......as if you wouldn’t have a spare $15m lying around with all the money you’ve saved yourself on your Spyder and all your patents. So is it a street legal clone ?

How’s this, Mike?

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 08:38 PM
.......pfffft......as if you wouldn’t have a spare $15m lying around with all the money you’ve saved yourself on your Spyder and all your patents. So is it a street legal clone ?

How’s this, Mike?

In a word --- Yes ... street legal even the open exhaust :gaah:.....and thanks for the new pics , they are in the color combo I will be doing :yes::yes::yes:....... Mike :thumbup:.............PS, because the body right now is one piece :banghead: .... I'm going to cut it HALF :helpsmilie:... like the original ...... otherwise engine access is extremely difficult for anything besides checking oil level....Imagine how many folks here broke a sweat when they were putting on a Utopia backrest and they had to cut the FOAM , which won't show no matter how badly it's done .. :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: ..... Mike :thumbup:...PPS, I will take pics of the project as I progress, I won't get much done this year ... my garage isn't heated

Peteoz
11-04-2017, 09:26 PM
So after you cut it in half, which half are you going to drive? The half with the steering or the half with the engine? I can see some issues with both options.... :roflblack:

Pete

canamjhb
11-04-2017, 11:01 PM
I will be brief. Just right after I sold my BMW Z4, I saw your post about buying this Porsche. GRRRRR. If seen before your purchase, it just might have stayed here in Arid-Zone-A (Another GRRRRR) :D

Chupaca
11-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Hoping for sunshine lollipops and rainbows.....:2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-04-2017, 11:43 PM
I will be brief. Just right after I sold my BMW Z4, I saw your post about buying this Porsche. GRRRRR. If seen before your purchase, it just might have stayed here in Arid-Zone-A (Another GRRRRR) :D I had been searching for one of these for a decade or more ..... 98% of them were VW powered :gaah:... and I wasn't interested , The last one before this that had a professional " mid-engine V-8 " in it sold for $ 35,000 ... on E-bay .... Part of my recreational time is spent browsing E-bay for interesting cars ( & hoping to find one like this :roflblack: ) ... and early one morning ( 2 am E S T ) I saw this one ... It had been listed for only 45 minutes ..... I immediately hit the Buy It Now button .... I figured if it didn't turn out as what it was described as ... I would just cancel do to mis-information .... Well it was actually way better than it was described as :yes::yes:........ plus the guy ( in His 60's ) was totally legit .... a REAL Car Guy ( like a Jay Leno :thumbup: ) Later that morning I contacted Him and we talked cars ( His and mine ) for three hours ( I'm so glad my cell phone has NO calling limitations :clap:).... and He told me a guy in NY was very, very interested if I had changed my mind ... It turned out that He was an engineer with NASA for about 25 yrs. and had many CAR friends that helped Him with this project ..... Also small world - When he lived a California He had heard about my Uncle who had " THE DATSUN with the Turbo V-8 in it " that terrorized Mulholland Dr., back in the Day ..... I know about - the building your own car from a Kit thing. I built a Shelby Cobra 427 ( from Factory Five ) and a Cobra Daytona ( not finished yet - my Spyders interfered with my time ) ... I still have a small of wiring to complete and of coarse the " cutting it half thing :yikes: ", so I can get to the engine with full access. It should be in Vt. by the end of this week :bowdown: ( I hope ) ...... So down the road I'll be posting my progress. I promised the Guy I'd make a road trip after I was done the work ...... I'll let you know ... He lives in Flagstaff .... let me know where you live , we could go for a ride :ohyea:............. Mike :thumbup:

pitzerwm
11-05-2017, 12:05 AM
Can't you just drive it to your house? What about a driveway across the street from your house? Or nearby?

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Can't you just drive it to your house? What about a driveway across the street from your house? Or nearby?...Bill, you should re-read my intro on Post #1 ...... and I live in a rural area , the guy's rig is 75 ft + with ground clearance of only 8 inches , which may sound OK but the tractor wheels and the back wheels are about 60 ft apart .... my driveway drops 3 ft in 30 ft. no way That rig won't ground out ..... and the car isn't running yet ..... Mike :thumbup:

pitzerwm
11-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Did you mean that the 917 isn't able to start/drive? I suggested one of the level driveways nearby, not yours.

Peteoz
11-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Did you mean that the 917 isn't able to start/drive? I suggested one of the level driveways nearby, not yours.

You know how confused he gets, Bill. When he wrote “the car is running yet”, he really meant “the car ISN’T running yet”. It’s an age thing (which is why I recognised the error. :D)

Pete

Bob Denman
11-05-2017, 08:33 AM
With an orange nose: it's gonna wish that it was THIS car... :bowdown:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-05-2017, 09:19 AM
With an orange nose: it's gonna wish that it was THIS car... :bowdown:

155227 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED that car also, however it had been retired from top tier racing when the 917 was created ...... Annnnnnnnnnnd unless you are having a Car custom made, you get what's available for sale. And that is the color scheme I plan to use and add the orange part on the sides at the lower edge .... Thanks for posting ..... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-05-2017, 09:26 AM
:banghead: , there are few driveways in my area that would fit the term LEVEL .... and most are less than 15 ft wide at the road , the Highway is maybe 35ft. of pavement ....backing a 75 ft + rig into a driveway isn't going to happen ..... and these are PRIVATE driveways ..... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-05-2017, 09:34 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED that car also, however it had been retired from top tier racing when the 917 was created ...... Annnnnnnnnnnd unless you are having a Car custom made, you get what's available for sale. And that is the color scheme I plan to use and add the orange part on the sides at the lower edge .... Thanks for posting ..... Mike :thumbup:

Just remember: you're only one MegaMillions PowerBall winning tottery ticket away from owning THAT car... :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own:
:D We can dream; can't we?

canamjhb
11-05-2017, 06:28 PM
I promised the Guy I'd make a road trip after I was done the work ...... I'll let you know ... He lives in Flagstaff .... let me know where you live , we could go for a ride :ohyea:............. Mike :thumbup:

If you get out this way, please do look me up. I am in Mesa which is just a little over 100 miles south of Flagstaff. And, a ride would be in order. :clap: