PDA

View Full Version : Dead stick turn

wmh9680
11-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Good evening, Is it natural for a Spyder to be hard to turn doing a dead stick turn (trying turn while the bike is standing still)? I know I have shoulder problems but when driving a dump truck or fire truck we were always told to try to stay away from doing this due to the weight on the wheels. Thanks, Mike

canamjhb
11-01-2017, 10:19 PM
The electric power steering assist does not kick in until the Spyder is moving. Then diminishes as it gains speed

wmh9680
11-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Thanks, the Dr does not like me ridin the Spyder but Oh well. Mike

Peter Aawen
11-01-2017, 11:11 PM
I don't think your Dr realises how different a Spyder is to any other Bike/Trike!! After I showed my Drs my Spyder & explained how I believed there was less shoulder stress ryding it than there was driving my car/truck, my Orthopod team (inc an Exercise Therapist) now recommends Spyder Ryding as great Shoulder Surgery recovery therapy! And I've had A LOT of shoulder surgery too, but have recovered fantastically, well beyond their expectations!! Especially since due to the extent of the collective surgery, they never expected me to be able to lift my hands above my head ever again.... let alone with any strength! And yet now I'm working on increasing the number of pull-ups & push ups I can do every day! :thumbup:

If you aren't hurting and it feels good ryding, take your Spyder along & show them how you ryde & what it's like, you might be surprised at how different their advice is afterwards!! ;)

canamjhb
11-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Riding the Spyder = Good physical therapy, OK, I'll buy that.

Bfromla
11-02-2017, 01:26 AM
Riding the Spyder = Good physical therapy, OK, I'll buy that.
Someone has the evidence to prove it!:firstplace::doorag:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?100950-Ryde-your-Spyder-and-get-fit!

ofdave
11-02-2017, 06:53 AM
my F3 is tough to turn in the garage when the engine is off.
But with the engine running, the power steering is working. Mine doesn't have to be moving.

HankD
11-02-2017, 06:57 AM
my F3 is tough to turn in the garage when the engine is off.
But with the engine running, the power steering is working. Mine doesn't have to be moving.

I have a 2017 RT-S and it's the same with me. Power steering works with bike running and 0 speed.

JayBros
11-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Riding a Spyder is GREAT mental therapy! :yes:

UtahPete
11-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks, the Dr does not like me ridin the Spyder but Oh well. Mike

Get a different doctor.

BajaRon
11-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Though I see it all the time. It is not good to turn any vehicle while standing still.

Though with modern power steering it seems effortless at your end. It is very hard on everything from the steering box/power steering unit, to the tires and everything in-between.

It wears out your ball joints and steering gears. Throws your alignment off a little each time you do it. And your tires will wear out prematurely.

Moving just a little bit while turning takes a huge load off of all these components and will help your steering/suspension components to last a lot longer.

With the Spyder (as mentioned) you get NO power steering assistance when standing still. This gives you a little bit of understanding about how hard you are working the components of your car (which weighs hundreds of pounds more) when you do this.

HankD
11-02-2017, 11:04 AM
With the Spyder (as mentioned) you get NO power steering assistance when standing still. This gives you a little bit of understanding about how hard you are working the components of your car (which weighs hundreds of pounds more) when you do this.

Ron, I hate to even try to disagree with a noted expert on Spyders, but in this case I think you might be mistaken about the bold part of the above quote.

On my 2017 RT-S, I definitely feel the power steering when the engine is running and the bike is standing still. It's a huge difference than when I've tried to cut the handlebars with the engine off to lock the steering mechanism. Either it is way easier to move the handlebars, or I get stronger with the bike running. :rolleyes: I also have to make a tight turn to back my bike up before each ride, and I always cut my tires fully to the right before backing (which apparently I shouldn't be doing).

I really do believe the power steering works at 0 speed....at least on my ride.

Hank

Chupaca
11-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Varying opinions on when the DPS kicks in makes one wonder if the nanny is programmed differently for different models and years...I have a 2012 RS sm5 and i can feel the DPS re-adjust when I start the motor up. There may have been an update, which because I do my own work I may never have gotten, that changed somewhere down the line. It is to assist in the slow moving moments of your ryde but agree manhandling the spyder without rolling is hard and not good on the parts involved...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Kinda looks like an easy solution is lurking here. Don't make dead stick turns if possible. A touch of forward or rearward motion and most of the resistance will be gone.

Hope I am not missing something here? :bowdown::bowdown:

BajaRon
11-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Ron, I hate to even try to disagree with a noted expert on Spyders, but in this case I think you might be mistaken about the bold part of the above quote.

On my 2017 RT-S, I definitely feel the power steering when the engine is running and the bike is standing still. It's a huge difference than when I've tried to cut the handlebars with the engine off to lock the steering mechanism. Either it is way easier to move the handlebars, or I get stronger with the bike running. :rolleyes: I also have to make a tight turn to back my bike up before each ride, and I always cut my tires fully to the right before backing (which apparently I shouldn't be doing).

I really do believe the power steering works at 0 speed....at least on my ride.

Hank

I will gladly stand corrected on this as I cannot claim to know everything about every year an model Spyder. It was my (possibly outdated) understanding that this was the case with all Spyders.

Believe me, I don't mind the help. I'd rather be corrected than be wrong.

Thanks!

canamjhb
11-02-2017, 05:36 PM
I, too, stand corrected. Just went for a little ride to get some air between my ears. When I got home tried turning with engine off and engine running. There is some assist with engine running. Not much but definitely there. But the resistance is still more than I am comfortable with while the bike is not moving. I previously owned a CanAm Commander that I added after market EPS to. I think the brand was EZ Steer. That power steering was always on. I could one finger turn from lock to lock standing still or moving. Didn't matter.

wmh9680
11-02-2017, 06:57 PM
I gotta go out and play with it. I know when I put her away I have a 20x20 garage and I have to back it in in front of my wife's car and it is alot of slow mo and stopping and it's tough to do. The Physicians Assistant did however really liked the bike as did most of my PTs. It would take alot for me not to ride. Thanks, everyone, Mike

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-02-2017, 09:55 PM
I couldn't resist the challenge! :thumbup: Just went out to the garage and tried it. There is a definite assist when the engine is running with my 2014 RTS.

IGETAROUND
11-04-2017, 08:27 AM
The Physicians Assistant did however really liked the bike

That's because Physician Assistants rock!!! There is no "s" on physician.:gaah:

Peter Aawen
11-04-2017, 09:59 AM
.....That's because Physician Assistants rock!!! There is no "s" on physician. :gaah:

But surely that depends upon who's assistant the Physician's assistant is? :dontknow: Or is it which of those indivdual Physician's Assistants?..... :rolleyes: