PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch vs. Fumble-Fingered Hank

HankD
10-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Decided to play some hooky from my work and go on a nice morning ride while the weather is nice. I tried out my super-duper new winter gloves...a little bulky but very warm. Fumble-Fingered Hank accidentally hits the kill switch while reaching for the cruise control button....on the freeway! :yikes: Luckily I wasn't in a heavy traffic area and could pull over to the shoulder without an incident.

Fess-up. Am I the only one this has happened to? :banghead: I blame it on the gloves, naturally.

Hank

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-31-2017, 12:38 PM
Happened to me quite a few times. At hiway speed clutch stays engaged. Turn kill switch back to run, open the throttle, reset cruise control, and keep on truckin'. No big deal at all!

HankD
10-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Happened to me quite a few times. At hiway speed clutch stays engaged. Turn kill switch back to run, open the throttle, reset cruise control, and keep on truckin'. No big deal at all!

Oh wow! I didn't know that. That's what makes this forum great. With a Spyder SE6, I thought you had to stop to restart. I'll try to remember that if my fumble-fingers return. Thanks much!

Chupaca
10-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Glad it was a minor incident but now you know you just need to switch back and keep going...:ohyea:but a scary way to learn no doubt.....:yikes:

NorCalBud
10-31-2017, 01:15 PM
I will admit that something similar did occur to me.
2 days after getting our Spyder: It was twilight and I was heading home after a few hours of ryding this brand new machine. I was at a stoplight and needed to adjust the tightness of the strap of my glove when the Spyder just went and died for no apparent reason! Earlier that day, I had trouble getting the Spyder started, but finally remembered to put my foot on the brake and got it fired up. That was not working this time...I ended up pushing the Spyder off to the side of the road and grudgingly broke out the Manual.... A couple of minutes into my investigation, saw a picture of the kill switch and thought to myself... "NO F^*$^*ing WAY"!
But...YES way! There I was..... "That Guy"!
Here's to Misery Loving Company!
:cheers:
~Bud~

HankD
10-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Glad it was a minor incident but now you know you just need to switch back and keep going...:ohyea:but a scary way to learn no doubt.....:yikes:

Yes, it was rather unpleasant. This is my first semi-auto cycle, I don't know why I had it in my head that I had to stop. Lesson learned.

I wonder if there is a lower-limit speed where it wouldn't work (20 mph, 30 mph...etc)?

quasi
10-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Heck I've hit the kill switch without gloves! :)

mark4Jesus
10-31-2017, 02:13 PM
No, it hasn't happened to me...but it will now...thanks Hank!

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Yes, it was rather unpleasant. This is my first semi-auto cycle, I don't know why I had it in my head that I had to stop. Lesson learned.

I wonder if there is a lower-limit speed where it wouldn't work (20 mph, 30 mph...etc)?
I think my heart skipped a couple of beats the first time it happened to me! Took me a few seconds to figure out what went wrong.

There obviously is a lower limit speed but I don't know what it is. Also I don't know, and have wondered, what happens with downshifting. I guess with the engine and trans turning and the ignition on it probably downshifts like usual, but I don't think I've experienced it. Did yours down shift as you pulled over and stopped?

ARtraveler
10-31-2017, 02:24 PM
It happened to me once on my Nomad 1500. No gloves either. :yes::yes:

Pirate looks at --
10-31-2017, 02:25 PM
If you have spent any time in the saddle this will happen. Had it happen on our Iron Butt about 650 miles in at 75 miles per hour. Two spyders following me and as I am stretching out I hit the Kill switch. Panic for 5 seconds, looked at kill switch, reset it, back to 75 miles per hour. Once you do it once it really is no big deal. I would suggest that everybody take their Spyder out to a safe area and intentionally hit the kill switch. This will let you know what you will experience, and how the Spyder will handle in the event you accidentally, or in a crisis need to hit the kill switch. Again once you experience it, it is No Big Deal! But it gets your attention the first time!:yes:

easysuper
10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
I haven't hit it YET while moving but i have bumped it a number of times before I started a ride while loading or unloading or hanging my helmet on the handle bars, but sooner than later its bound to happen. Sounds like an OH S*&^T moment!

SpyderF3-s
10-31-2017, 02:52 PM
I had it happen several times also.:banghead: Luckily I was on city streets when it happened. Always thought about drilling a hole through it and put a tooth pick thru it like motorcycle racers do.

HankD
10-31-2017, 03:13 PM
I think my heart skipped a couple of beats the first time it happened to me! Took me a few seconds to figure out what went wrong.

There obviously is a lower limit speed but I don't know what it is. Also I don't know, and have wondered, what happens with downshifting. I guess with the engine and trans turning and the ignition on it probably downshifts like usual, but I don't think I've experienced it. Did yours down shift as you pulled over and stopped?

I dunno...I had a few things on my mind at that particular moment :roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-31-2017, 04:02 PM
I had it happen several times also.:banghead: Luckily I was on city streets when it happened.
I think one would be safer having it happen at highway speeds on the open road. Less likely to have someone run into you rather than when you suddenly slow down with no brake light showing on a crowded city street. On a city street you likely will not be in top gear and the engine compression will have greater braking effect.

JayBros
10-31-2017, 04:57 PM
I've had it happen twice. First time was at slow speed after pulling out of a gas station. Was reaching out to do something and bumped it with a gloved hand. Was coming to a stop sign and when I saw what I had done, just flicked the switch back on and restarted it. Second time was at highway speed heading home from Red Rocks. Didn't know about opening the throttle way open so as I slowed to around 35 tried to restart and it did. I think I will go out and intentionally do it at speed; need the practice to prevent an "aw s***t."

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-31-2017, 05:48 PM
I haven't hit it YET while moving but i have bumped it a number of times before I started a ride while loading or unloading or hanging my helmet on the handle bars, but sooner than later its bound to happen. Sounds like an OH S*&^T moment!
It can still be an "OH S*&^T moment" if you're like me and have an age related memory problem and it's been 6 months since the last time it happened!! :roflblack:

HankD
10-31-2017, 06:14 PM
Okay, so at least it's good to know I'm not the only fumbler in the Forum.

I think I too shall do a practice "oopsey" at freeway speed and at lower speeds..... just to get the muscle memory on restarting.

RinconRyder
10-31-2017, 06:34 PM
No need to wear gloves down here in the desert but I keep hitting the horn button instead of the turn signal.

ARNIE R
10-31-2017, 10:27 PM
Yep, there you are doing about 70+ mph on a 3 lane interstate, go to hit the CC switch, and the engine suddenly dies. While you are panicking, you also remember those 5 18 wheelers behind you and .......:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:!

timeless
11-01-2017, 06:58 AM
quite often when I am pushing up on the Resume switch, my thumb slips off and inadvertently hits the kill switch!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:

HankD
11-01-2017, 07:01 AM
No need to wear gloves down here in the desert but I keep hitting the horn button instead of the turn signal.

Yep, done that too. But then I just give a big "Gomer Pyle Wave" to the person in front of me and pretend like it was on purpose. :p

foxtail1
11-01-2017, 09:53 AM

That's what I have done several times. And, each time, the horn startles me! :opps:

Wildrice
11-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Decided to play some hooky from my work and go on a nice morning ride while the weather is nice. I tried out my super-duper new winter gloves...a little bulky but very warm. Fumble-Fingered Hank accidentally hits the kill switch while reaching for the cruise control button....on the freeway! :yikes: Luckily I wasn't in a heavy traffic area and could pull over to the shoulder without an incident.

Fess-up. Am I the only one this has happened to? :banghead: I blame it on the gloves, naturally.

Hank

I've hit the kill switch & didn't realize it & moving in 30 mph traffic--people honking--& I'm wondering why the engine quit running. Took me several seconds to realize what happened. I've had several motorcycle & never had that problem. I'm thinking the kill switch should be moved 1/2" & eliminate the possible problem.
Darrell

adzgrrrl
11-01-2017, 02:46 PM
That's what I have done several times. And, each time, the horn startles me! :opps:

Me too! Guilty as charged! :opps:

canamjhb
11-01-2017, 06:45 PM
On a group ride, stopped for gas and "someone" must have hit the kill switch. Everyone ready to go and I have a dead bike.....panic.... Turn ignition off and on again, hit mode button and start several times, foot on brake, foot on brake harder.... Repeat. Nothing. Radio other riders that I am dead. After about an eon in time (actually probably closer to 30 seconds) diagnosed and fixed the problem. Continued down the road muttering to myself.....

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-01-2017, 07:10 PM
A few years ago when I had my Goldwing out of the blue one day the audio volume dropped real low. Couldn't figure what went wrong. Even had another rider plug his headset in to see if my headset had gone bad. Later at home I noticed that when I set my helmet over the handlebar it had pushed the mute button in!