PDA

View Full Version : Is Nanny Retired?

crazycanuck
10-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Last night coming home on Spyder and it was raining....took a right turn and my front wheels slid but I didn't expect nanny to come on....once I got into my neighborhood, I gave it enough throttle for back tire to spin not once but on 3 different occasions. nanny didn't come on for all 3 occurrence:shocked:

Maybe Nanny has retired :dontknow:

BajaRon
10-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Last night coming home on Spyder and it was raining....took a right turn and my front wheels slid but I didn't expect nanny to come on....once I got into my neighborhood, I gave it enough throttle for back tire to spin not once but on 3 different occasions. nanny didn't come on for all 3 occurrence:shocked:

Maybe Nanny has retired :dontknow:

What was your speed? Below about 35 MPH you can spin the rear tire all you want....

Chupaca
10-26-2017, 09:41 AM
:agree: also not knowing your model and year some have a relaxed nanny that allow you to push her limits a bit...:thumbup:

crazycanuck
10-26-2017, 11:41 AM
What was your speed? Below about 35 MPH you can spin the rear tire all you want....

09RS
good to know, I will go practice that right now :clap: but it wouldn't take 35mph to lose control once rear wheel loses traction.

ARtraveler
10-26-2017, 03:00 PM
When "nanny" actually comes on you will get a quick amber light that shows the :ani29: skidding. Similar when you have an AWD vehicle and it kicks in.

Most of the time, your too busy trying to "fix" the situation to notice the light. My two nanny experiences were with hydroplaning.

Other advice about not coming on when you try to test it by spinning wheels is also right on.

During the boot up process you will get a preview of all the warning lights--and there are a lot of them. Look for "nanny" and that should let you know that she is waiting for you.
Bottom line here IMO: "Nanny knows when and best." :bowdown:

BajaRon
10-26-2017, 03:01 PM
09RS
good to know, I will go practice that right now :clap: but it wouldn't take 35mph to lose control once rear wheel loses traction.

You can get rear wheel spin to about 35 mph. But the Nanny isn't sleeping. She has parameters (as they all do) which if you exceed, she will jump in. Just because she allows you to spin the rear wheel does not mean she will let you do anything you like. Regardless of speed.

PistonBlown
10-27-2017, 05:01 AM
You can get rear wheel spin to about 35 mph. But the Nanny isn't sleeping. She has parameters (as they all do) which if you exceed, she will jump in. Just because she allows you to spin the rear wheel does not mean she will let you do anything you like. Regardless of speed.

Yes she is always there though she does let you have a bit of fun below 35mph.

She doesn't mind wheel spins below 35mph but a mix of traction and loss really upset her. For example if you go up a steep dirt track with banding that makes changes the traction of the rear tire then nanny will really cut the power even if your going well below 35mph and keeping the revs down.

crazycanuck
10-27-2017, 09:19 AM
another interesting thing; when I boot up I don't see the nanny light up and now thinking about it I haven't seen it in a while. :banghead:

Pirate looks at --
10-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Well Nanny was OLD even back in '09, it is possible that in your case, Nanny was moved on to her "great reward"!:yes:

cmbspyderrss
10-27-2017, 06:44 PM
I'm going to have to stick a camera pointing at my dash next ride. I've never seen the light come on but can feel the power loss and brakes applied when I am aggressive especially in the twisted. Because I am new i still grab the ghost brake handle and use a lot of engine braking normally so I know the brakes coming on aren't me and I know what power loss feels like when traction control kicks in or you bump the rev limiter from my go fast cars.

Because I am new to the Spyder it could be just me too.