PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Installed

Firefly
05-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Installed the Evoluzione sway bar tonight. Pretty easy install - bit of a pain due to how BRP puts that front end together. I did it without removing the trunk - just removed the lower 2 bolts and could get in to replace the sway bar. Tight squeeze doing it that way - but it works.

As I looked at the bar before installing it, I was shocked at how small it is--- just a tiny little chunk of metal. I was having doubts as to how much this little bar could do.:dontknow:

Well, I have to tell you that the difference for me was HUGE. I cannot believe how much better it corners - I swear the steering seems easier and much more responsive.:2thumbs:

I have my front shocks set 1 away from the firmest setting - and I'm a pretty big guy. Maybe the difference isn't as notable for lighter people - but for me this thing ROCKS.:thumbup:

I'm going to check into how much difference better shocks would make too--- if they can change things anywhere near what this sway bar did - they would be well worth the $$$ !

bone crusher
05-16-2009, 03:42 AM
Keep us informed...so, the install was easy? Did you jack the front of the bike up? Any drilling or serious install issues?

fastfraser
05-16-2009, 04:27 AM
Is the sway bar red or black and can you see it on the :spyder2:?

bigiron
05-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Mine is red and you can see it from the right or left front. It does what they say. Good mod.

ataDude
05-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree... good mod. Here's my install from December:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=65948&postcount=111

Firefly
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
No drilling or anything - it simply replaces the stock sway bar. No instructions necessary. Mine is black - kind of wish it was red like the original ones.

I have an ATV lift I use to get the Spyder up to work on it. Without lifting it up you would really need to remove the trunk.

theRED1
05-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I was hoping to get a red one as well! Oh well :dontknow:

SpyderByter
05-17-2009, 05:43 AM
No drilling or anything - it simply replaces the stock sway bar. No instructions necessary. Mine is black - kind of wish it was red like the original ones.

I have an ATV lift I use to get the Spyder up to work on it. Without lifting it up you would really need to remove the trunk.

FireFly,

I don't have an ATV lift, but in your opinion, could it be done with the front wheels up on car ramps without removing the trunk?

patches
05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
I just installed mine yesterday. Pretty easy install. I jacked mine up, if you don't, it will be really hard to get under there and remove the top bolts. I didn't take the trunk off.
Have not really riden much with it on just yet, small trip to grocery store with little twisties so nothing to report just yet. Mine is black as well.

Now, I didn't put the black clips on the ends, I suppose they are needed but could not see a reason why, thoughts? They are the two clips all the way on the end. Seem like they would prevent the bar from moving to much side to side, but not sure.

Firefly
05-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Not sure what 'clips' you're referring to.

Yes, I think you can do it with car ramps. You just have to remove the lower 2 screws holding the trunk on that are on the undercarriage - they are 10 or 11 MM. The rest are 13MM. You also have to remove the 2 torx screws holding the rear of the skid plate on. Once you get under there and start looking and feeling around it's pretty easy to figure out - just do whatever you need to remove the old and then put the new one in.

docdoru
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I just installed mine yesterday. Pretty easy install. I jacked mine up, if you don't, it will be really hard to get under there and remove the top bolts. I didn't take the trunk off.
Have not really riden much with it on just yet, small trip to grocery store with little twisties so nothing to report just yet. Mine is black as well.

Now, I didn't put the black clips on the ends, I suppose they are needed but could not see a reason why, thoughts? They are the two clips all the way on the end. Seem like they would prevent the bar from moving to much side to side, but not sure.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00477.jpg?t=1242691072
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00479.jpg?t=1242691171
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00481.jpg?t=1242691195

Firefly
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Hmmmm.

Well - a few things-----

1. You shouldn't take photos while your Spyder is in motion - :D

2. If you are referring to the 'U' shaped brackets that go over the rubber/plastic mounts on the Sway bar - that are held on with 2 bolts each side - then yes - those are supposed to be used for the new install.

patches
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Talked to Ken and Doc verified for me, the two c clamps on the OEM bar are not needed with the new bar. These:

Firefly
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Talked to Ken and Doc verified for me, the two c clamps on the OEM bar are not needed with the new bar. These:

Oh---- THOSE things!

Nope - don't need em--- didn't even cross my mind to use them again since the new bar is thicker.