PDA

View Full Version : New Goldwing Launch

eddieshep999
10-25-2017, 02:50 PM
He is some details of the new Goldwing for 2018

https://youtu.be/ufzzFCAtLT4

ARtraveler
10-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Some highlights from the article: Supposed to be 13.5# lighter weight engine and 90# overall. They are now offering a 6 speed manual and a 7 speed semi auto transmission. Gas tank is 1 gallon less--but the decreased weight and new gearing is supposed to compensate.

They also show a rear "trunkless" version that is now the base model. Prices for base start at 23K and touring versions at 26K US.

May get some looking at GW again. But--I am out on it. :yes:

Chupaca
10-25-2017, 04:01 PM
They made a mess of changes for this new model. Gonna need a whole new section in the parts department :gaah: but it is a looker with a price to match....:thumbup:

C. Lee
10-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Coming from an 05 wing to my spyder, I really like the look of this bike. If I were inclined to go back to 2 wheels, this would be the one from the looks of it. However, I have ridden my spyder 3x's more then my annual mileage on my wing in 3 months. Needless to say I'm sticking with my spyder. Chris

Navvet
10-25-2017, 07:55 PM
They also show a rear "trunkless" version That is now the base model. Prices for base start at 23K and touring versions at 26K US.
May get some looking at GW again. But--I am out on it. :yes:

The "trunkless" version is just the continuation of the GL1800B / F6B. (They skipped production of the "B" for 2017).

Under accessories for the Wings they list a kit to add / delete the trunk so a person can ride a "B" or a "full wing" with a fairly easy looking change-out of the upper rear .... Having the DCT as well as an airbag on the "B" might be nice.

Once again they did not include the GL1800C / Valkyrie in the lineup. I guess 2015 is the last year for this time around.

canamjhb
10-25-2017, 10:42 PM
I read the entire news article and like the changes. Except for the significantly reduced luggage capacity. Finally a 6 speed. But the wing just begs for a taller gear for cruising the interstates. They stated that the final drive for the new wing is the same as older models. Too bad. When I ride my wing on the big road, I am always looking for another gear to shift into after 5th. I was hoping this would be the year of the long rumored Honda 3 wheeler but, guess they are still skiddish from the ATC fiasco of many years ago

RinconRyder
10-25-2017, 10:59 PM
The wifey can keep the RTL. I was looking at an FJR but the new Wing has my interest now.

Never too old for two wheels.

cptjam
10-25-2017, 11:04 PM
If it is at IMS, I will be all over it. If it is all that, I’m ready for it!

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Finally a 6 speed. But the wing just begs for a taller gear for cruising the interstates. They stated that the final drive for the new wing is the same as older models. Too bad.
From what I read you get that if you get the semi-auto DCT 7 speed trans. The DCT version also has engine power reverse and a new slow walk forward option, as well as an "uphill start mode" where the brake stays on momentarily until you get moving.

I'd sure be tempted to get one if I had any desire or temptation whatever to go back to 2 wheels. I really wonder about the hardened aluminum cylinder sleeves. Could this be the one time Honda actually gets it wrong? :dontknow:

cptjam
10-26-2017, 12:18 AM
Too funny! I can’t believe Honda would get it wrong! Particularly with an 8 year warranty available! If I get one, it will have 100,000 miles on it in 3 years. If I can break it, they will step up. I doubt I’ll break it. I will ride it, should I get it, and expect the same reliability of my last Honda. A superb engineering company, Honda does not get it wrong very often. Just my opinion, forged from years of use.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Too funny! I can’t believe Honda would get it wrong! Particularly with an 8 year warranty available! If I get one, it will have 100,000 miles on it in 3 years. If I can break it, they will step up. I doubt I’ll break it. I will ride it, should I get it, and expect the same reliability of my last Honda. A superb engineering company, Honda does not get it wrong very often. Just my opinion, forged from years of use.

I know it's not the same but aluminum cylinders didn't work in the Chevy Vega!

jcthorne
10-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Aluminum block engines with plasma spray bores (and other surface treatment types) have taken over most of the automotive market. VERY few have pressed in iron liners any more. This includes all Honda cars....and Toyota, Ford, GM, .... you get the idea. Its not new.

The vega had aluminum bores. No hardened walls. These new cylinder wall options are actually far harder than cast iron and wear very well.

RinconRyder
10-26-2017, 11:20 AM
I read the entire news article and like the changes. Except for the significantly reduced luggage capacity. Finally a 6 speed. But the wing just begs for a taller gear for cruising the interstates. They stated that the final drive for the new wing is the same as older models. Too bad. When I ride my wing on the big road, I am always looking for another gear to shift into after 5th. I was hoping this would be the year of the long rumored Honda 3 wheeler but, guess they are still skiddish from the ATC fiasco of many years ago

Article said they investigated the reduced luggage capacity and found that the vast majority of trips were 3 days or less so that is what they designed for the new Wing. Seems reasonable. If me and the misses were going on a long ride I think I would rather just box up and ship whatever is needed along the way or at the destination instead of piling it on the bike and having her tear it apart at every stop.

The top gear in the new Wing is identical - both for the 6 speed manual and the 7 speed DCT. It is a higher cruising gear compared to the older models. The 7 speed DCT gearbox just puts them closer together for a more spirited getaway.

Honda's ATC's were beautiful machines and a whole lot more fun to ride than the quads. It is unfortunate that ABC's 20/20 and legions of underskilled riders killed them. I still have my 1986 250R and it is just as much fun to ride now as it ever was. I've also been through a few quads and they are not as much fun in the dunes as the trikes but yes, you do need to be somewhat sober and skilled to ride them aggressively. You tend to see as much stupidity in the dunes as on the typical boat ramp.

I have been in the market for a new two wheeler since selling the second Wing several years ago. I much prefer two to three but keeping the RTL for the wife. I was looking at Yammy's FJR but believe I will wait until the '18 Wings hit the streets and see what they are like in person. I loved the old Wings except for their weight, bulk and front suspension. All three things have been addressed now.

trikermutha
10-26-2017, 11:56 AM
would have liked to seen a trike version of this new revised Honda or will that be next?

canamjhb
10-26-2017, 12:28 PM
I went back and reread the press release from Honda. And, yes, the final drive ratios for the NEW transmission options are the same. But, they do not say what that final drive ratio is, There is no way of knowing if it is, in fact, a taller gear than the previous year models. If the new 5th gear ratio is the same as 5th on previous models then 6th (or 7th) would be a real fuel saver for long runs. With the optional removable trunk, I can imagine aftermarket people offering extra large capacity trunks to replace the missing capacity. I have taken multi-week bike tours continuously for over more than 30 years. All on Goldwings until this year when we took the Spyder with trailer. And wife rode the Goldwing. There is a very good reason trunk racks and bags are on virtually all touring bikes that are out for extended periods. Reducing capacity, for me, is a negative. But I think the aftermarket and accessory people will come up with ways to overcome that shortcoming. Lots of good improvements and as the old saying goes "I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers"

bscrive
10-26-2017, 12:34 PM
I do like the new Goldwing, but I will have mine paid off soon and I don't see myself getting into another bike payment.
In 5 or 6 years down the road, if my wife decides to stop riding her F3, then we may pick up a newer style Wing. It definitely won't be new, but we will be able to pick up a good used one by then. Until that time, my Valk will suite me just fine.

bscrive
10-26-2017, 12:37 PM
would have liked to seen a trike version of this new revised Honda or will that be next?

If Honda got on the ball and made a reverse trike from this model, BRP would be in trouble. nojoke

ofdave
10-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Honda doesn't build trikes but the aftermarket folks will be all over it in a few months.
Sometimes I wonder why Honda doesn't build their own. If Harley saw a need why not Honda?

ARtraveler
10-26-2017, 02:20 PM
From what I read you get that if you get the semi-auto DCT 7 speed trans. The DCT version also has engine power reverse and a new slow walk forward option, as well as an "uphill start mode" where the brake stays on momentarily until you get moving.

I'd sure be tempted to get one if I had any desire or temptation whatever to go back to 2 wheels. I really wonder about the hardened aluminum cylinder sleeves. Could this be the one time Honda actually gets it wrong? :dontknow:

Brings back thoughts of the Chevy Vega--didn't they have some aluminum parts in their engines?

ARtraveler
10-26-2017, 02:22 PM

:agree: x 2. Very good points. :bowdown::bowdown:

ARtraveler
10-26-2017, 02:28 PM
RE: Diminished cargo capacity: For me, never an issue. I have always thought that's what Wal Marts, etc. are for. When the clothes get so bad that they stand by themselves, toss em, and get another set. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

But, I am also the guy who goes to Hawaii for a week with just a carry on bag. :yes::yes:

I just made a purchase of two wheels, so for me, I will stay away from my local Honda dealer. Going there would probably be very dangerous. I do like the base model without the top trunk though. :yes::yes:

RinconRyder
10-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Honda doesn't build trikes but the aftermarket folks will be all over it in a few months.
Sometimes I wonder why Honda doesn't build their own. If Harley saw a need why not Honda?

Demographics. Look at the Hardley riders (worldwide) then look at Honda (all models, also worldwide). Honda makes a ton of different models for around the world markets. Hardley makes tens of models for their world market. While HD sells lots of bikes here in the USA that isn't true worldwide.

Going to a Hardley bar is like going to the VFW. Honda's median biker age is a lot younger.

I am guessing that Honda has probably examined their markets and decided trikes aren't that big relative to their two-wheel markets. Plus they already have some competition in the trike area. Honda also makes other products. Hardley makes clothes.

More bad news for Hardley: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/harley-davidson-is-even-worse-off-than-you-might-think/ar-AAu1iqD?li=BBnbfcN

RinconRyder
10-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Brings back thoughts of the Chevy Vega--didn't they have some aluminum parts in their engines?

The Vega was the bottom feeder of passenger cars. The Goldwing is the pinnacle of Honda's bike lineup. I really doubt their engineers will blow it like GM did (although they did have that little aluminum frame crack snafu a few years ago).

IIRC the Vega had aluminum cylinders and cast iron pistons. The two metals don't heat or cool at the same rate and that was the basis (among other problems) for the engines wearing prematurely.

canamjhb
10-26-2017, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=RinconRyder;1312328]The Vega was the bottom feeder of passenger cars. [/QUOTE

Obviously forgot about the Chevette. I worked for GM in the early/mid 70s and Vega was not THE bottom feeder. Close, but not at the absolute bottom. But then, I'd take a Corvair over either one......

RinconRyder
10-26-2017, 08:41 PM
The Vega was the bottom feeder of passenger cars.

Obviously forgot about the Chevette. I worked for GM in the early/mid 70s and Vega was not THE bottom feeder. Close, but not at the absolute bottom. But then, I'd take a Corvair over either one......

I owned a '65 Corvair with a few upgrades back in the late 60's. I wish I still had that car. Sure fun in snowy weather back in Noo Yawk.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-26-2017, 10:22 PM
As I recall their engine block and head was all aluminum and in an effort to make it cheaper they did not use cylinder sleeves, but used some technique to harden or crystallize the aluminum in the bore. They didn't hold up.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-26-2017, 10:39 PM
More bad news for Hardley: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/harley-davidson-is-even-worse-off-than-you-might-think/ar-AAu1iqD?li=BBnbfcN
Are HDs built using the metric system or American measurement system? If not metric I wonder how much that impacts their marketability around the world.

jerpinoy
10-26-2017, 10:48 PM
the new wings are missing the third wheel:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

canamjhb
10-27-2017, 09:57 PM
Just a couple of other observations. There are NO antennas, either CB or AM/FM. You bring your own communication/music device and plug it in. I am old school and don't like that change. Also, there are no traditional engine guards. Just nubs that stick out. That makes a challenge for having highway pegs. Lots of good stuff but I'll stick with my old comfortable GL (and Spyder).

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Just a couple of other observations. There are NO antennas, either CB or AM/FM. You bring your own communication/music device and plug it in. I am old school and don't like that change.
It'll cost you about $1250 to add a CB including $200 for the antenna plus an additional $110 to add a passenger PTT switch! XM receiver must be built in as they show an XM antenna for $100 but don't say anything about requiring an additional XM receiver. AM/FM/Weather antenna must be hidden in the body or windshield. Radio is not listed as an accessory so it must be included. But for $1100 you can add a power amplifier and upgraded speakers.

Can you believe $600 for a foot shifter for the DCT?

And we complain about Spyder accessory costs!