PDA

View Full Version : wheelchair mount 1.0

SethO
05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
got it done, going to up a 1000 miles on it and make it out of metal, patient pending. will have a vid up on how I get the setup on. Just to warn you what try this, riding a spyder is like wearing a clown suit and having a wheelchair on as well is like having blinking neon lights on said clown suit.

Tom in NM
05-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Seth, great idea.

One question. Since I have been riding my Spyder, a couple of times I have had guys roll up and they have gotten real interested thinking the Spyder might work for them.
I even let one guy try mine. With a little instruction and me in the passenger seat working the brake. I have never had so much fun in a Walmart parking lot.

Here is the question, I was really wondering how or what the best way is for someone in a wheel chair to get ON and OFF a Spyder? I know everyone has different issues, but does anyone know of a good way? I would think some things like gas stations and refueling would be a real problem.

Next time I am asked, I would like to have an answer.

Tom

Firefly
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM
got it done, going to up a 1000 miles on it and make it out of metal, patient pending. will have a vid up on how I get the setup on. Just to warn you what try this, riding a spyder is like wearing a clown suit and having a wheelchair on as well is like having blinking neon lights on said clown suit.

Glad you're working towards having this project done. I have some concerns about how you've mounted the plate. In particular it looks like you've mounted it to the passenger hand grabs. While you would think those would be really strong - they are not meant to carry a lot of weight - and can break. Getting it mounted directly to the frame would be best.

Good work so far!

obiwanbill
05-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Seth, great idea.

Here is the question, I was really wondering how or what the best way is for someone in a wheel chair to get ON and OFF a Spyder? I know everyone has different issues, but does anyone know of a good way? I would think some things like gas stations and refueling would be a real problem.

Next time I am asked, I would like to have an answer.

TomI have a rack for the wheelchair on the port side rear by the tire. I turn around facing the left and pull the W-Chair off, open it up and pop into the chair. I pop open the spyderseat and pump in needed camel jockey juice. Then I pull myself back onto the bike, turn to the left again, fold up the chair and pop it in the rack. I have photos on my album page and in discussion. It's a pain with the gas filler under the seat, but short of having some hunny bear at the gas station bringing me out a chair...:ohyea:

SethO
05-16-2009, 03:02 AM
To gas up is easy I should have said this I cut the plastic under the seat where the cap is and let it flap back, works great don't have to get off the spyder.

The handles are carrying about 30 pounds right now with the wheelchair on it, when a passanger is holding on to them on a corner they are putting AT LEAST twice that on them.

I will put a video on the web of how I get on and off with the chair. If I don't have the chair I put a leg over and jump on. With the wheelchair I jump my butt on and keep both legs on one side so I can put the chair on the bracket.

I have about 120 miles on the bracket right now, and I have 3900 miles on the spyder this year. lost part of my wheelchair, MAKE sure you loctite your bolts on your wheelchair. I have a wood dowel with tape on it so I can still use my chair, mad max beyond the thunderdome style.

It is funny that people said it could not be done with a ridgid frame chair and it can be done.

fastfraser
05-16-2009, 04:37 AM
And we think we got it tough being able to ride are :spyder2:s without a wheelchair.

:2thumbs: You guys rock.

:spyder2: on.

NancysToy
05-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Well done, Seth! Good idea on the Loctite for the chair bolts...or anything else you add or carry.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Roaddog2
05-16-2009, 07:44 AM
And we think we got it tough being able to ride are :spyder2:s without a wheelchair.

:2thumbs: You guys rock.

:spyder2: on.:agree::2thumbs::2thumbs:

tatt2r
05-16-2009, 09:06 AM
my concern would be handles also ...i remember a post from someone that tried securing bike in trailer with handle and it broke ... no metal inside just plastic

SethO
05-19-2009, 12:12 AM
added another bungie and it helped a ton, ran it hard and held up great

my spyder went into limp mode today took the fuses or relays out and put them back in and it fixed it, rememeber reading about guys putting foam or something in there to keep them from working lose?

Wheelz
05-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Seth, IMMHO, that mount is way to bulky..Just do what I did..break the chair down COMPLETELY and strap it down. I have the sport rack that nicely fits the back rest grab handle when the back is collapsed. Not knowing what level of disability you are...its a P.I.T.A but its the "price of freedom" us gimps have to pay to ride again. Now, getting gas is another story. :gaah: Good to see 'another' back on the road. Stay Safe!

KAK
05-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I started building a wheelchair mount but then we decided to go a different direction. I purchased a Travel Scoot for my wife. It folds and fits into a 32"x12"x10" bag which straps across the rear seat and grab handles. With the Lithium Ion battery the unit weighs 35 lbs. I can be set up or broken down in about 2 min. We took a 130 mile ride last weekend. We made about half a dozen stops and used the scooter every time. It worked great both on and off the Spyder.

obiwanbill
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
[quote=SethO;98734]To gas up is easy I should have said this I cut the plastic under the seat where the cap is and let it flap back, works great don't have to get off the spyder.

How did you do this?
cut a circular hole or a square flap that hinges?
how does it hinge without "Plastic fatigue" breaking it off in time?
do you have any photos of that process?

at this time, I have to stop, get the wheel chair unloaded, get in it, pop the seat and fill up then get on, load the chair and drive off.

at some stations they offer fill ups for handicapped, but the seat/my arse is still in the way. If I could put in this hole flap, I could get some gas station hunny bear to come out and gas me up!!:ohyea:

Jumper35
05-30-2009, 02:10 PM
My biggest issue other than wanting a functional wheelchair mount is for the mount to look good. This is an almost impossible task, but something I will work hard to achieve. My current wheelchair is modular in design and I believe will look good once it is mounted. The silver frame is no coincidence and will accent my Spyder nicely.:2thumbs:

SethO
06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
my bracket works for people that don't want something that looks kick a## but I have not drove my car since I got the setup done. I thought about just putting on the back of the seat it, just took too long to take it off and put it back on. with my current setup I can roll up to and leave in under 2 minutes which by walking standards is slow but in freakville that is faster than getting out of my crown vic. My braket will also keep my wheelchair on at 126mph,(that is the fastest I have hit with the chair on) So it all depends on how much you are going to use the spyder with your wheelchair, going on a three day run starting tomorrow see how it goes. going to cut the fender off the thing as soon I find the time, the thing is a pain in the a?? to change tires on and if you look at my rants about tires you will see what I am talking about.

SethO
06-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Just got back from a 3 day ride got about 800 mile trip in, tons of video which I can't covert to put on the net, See my off topic post and please help, anyway my buddies wife is great but did not seem to understand that if you have to turn sideways to get into the bathroom then a wheelchair will not fit in there, the childs medium toilet was then suck for the bowel program, but all and all it went really well. Only got pulled over once and that was some whiney tourist complaining about getting passed by a resort 60 miles from home, just got a " talking too" by a smoky from the county south of were I live. I the thing I did not really plan for is the about of stuff you need compared to riding before, being handicrapped takes more stuff so just plan ahead, will get some video up as soon as someone gets me some info on it, the jay cook state park hwy is awsome.