PDA

View Full Version : Show Chrome Driver Backrest for RT.....any thoughts?

HankD
10-23-2017, 08:23 AM
I'm looking at buying this because I really need a driver backrest:

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Accessories-41-168A-Removable/dp/B071H48Q75/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

Anyone else using this? Thoughts on installation and comfort? It's waaaaay cheaper than the BRP OEM backrest and looks to be somewhat adjustable.
I have a 2017 RT-S

Thanks!

Hank

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-23-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm looking at buying this because I really need a driver backrest:

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Accessories-41-168A-Removable/dp/B071H48Q75/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

Anyone else using this? Thoughts on installation and comfort? It's waaaaay cheaper than the BRP OEM backrest and looks to be somewhat adjustable.
I have a 2017 RT-S

Thanks!

Hank Hank , I have built the bracket that fits the 14 & up seat pans ( for a Utopia unit ) .... I have examined the PIC of this one very closely, and I don't believe it will work on the 17 RTS - Pan ...... It looks more like the one for 10 to 12 Pans !!! ......... make sure it's returnable at No cost to you ...... Mike :thumbup:

nhoj
10-23-2017, 09:19 AM
... I don't believe it will work on the 17 RTS - Pan ......

We have one on our 15 RTS for two seasons now. Its great and has quite a bit of adjustment. They are easily removable too.

I believe the RT seat pans are all the same since they introduced their backrests in 2014. I don't think the 2017 is any different.

HankD
10-23-2017, 09:43 AM
We have one on our 15 RTS for two seasons now. Its great and has quite a bit of adjustment. They are easily removable too.

I believe the RT seat pans are all the same since they introduced their backrests in 2014. I don't think the 2017 is any different.

nhoj, a couple of questions:

1. How was the installation? I have the stock seat with the plastic cutout for a backrest already in it, I assume you did too. Was there a lot of cutting or drilling involved, or was it pretty much bolt on?

2. Did you have to completely remove the seat to install, or just unbolt the seat shock to get more room to work?

Thanks,
Hank

Spider-man
10-23-2017, 10:04 AM
nhoj, a couple of questions:

1. How was the installation? I have the stock seat with the plastic cutout for a backrest already in it, I assume you did too. Was there a lot of cutting or drilling involved, or was it pretty much bolt on?

2. Did you have to completely remove the seat to install, or just unbolt the seat shock to get more room to work?

Thanks,
Hank

I had it on my RT and loved it. Installation was very easy, and they have a video on youtube that walks you through the whole thing. To answer your questions:

1. Very little cutting required, although you do have to cut the plastic plug a bit. The rest is bolt on.

2. Yes, completely remove. In fact the only difficult part with that is trying not to lose the sleeves on the bolts at the rear of the seat. I lost one forever in the dark caverns of the Spyder!

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-23-2017, 10:45 AM

The pans are different .......and I'm not taking a GUESS about it ...... :banghead: ............ Mike :thumbup:

HankD
10-23-2017, 11:05 AM
The pans are different .......and I'm not taking a GUESS about it ...... :banghead: ............ Mike :thumbup:

Ok, I'll call Big Bike Parts (they make some of the attachment parts and sell the Backrest) and confirm it will work. Their PDF instructions have a diff path to follow if you have a 2014 or newer RT. It looks like I have to drill two holes in some of the plastic part of the seat pan, according to the instructions.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Ok, I'll call Big Bike Parts (they make some of the attachment parts and sell the Backrest) and confirm it will work. Their PDF instructions have a diff path to follow if you have a 2014 or newer RT. It looks like I have to drill two holes in some of the plastic part of the seat pan, according to the instructions. If what you are looking at says .... DRILL TWO HOLES :yikes: ...then those brackets are for a different PAN than is on a 2017 RT .... The 14 & up uses four 10mm bolts and go into the BRP - OEM holes ... I'm using large type to get your ATTENTION !!!!! .....Best of luck ... my participation on this is completed ..... Mike :thumbup:

nhoj
10-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Ok, I'll call Big Bike Parts (they make some of the attachment parts and sell the Backrest) and confirm it will work.

Please let us know what they say as I'm not sure what 4 bolts Mike was referring to for this backrest. I don't see why the backrest won't mount on any RT seat regardless of year.

And... as Spider-man indicated its not a difficult install and do take the seat off as he mentioned.

HankD
10-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Please let us know what they say as I'm not sure what 4 bolts Mike was referring to for this backrest. I don't see why the backrest won't mount on any RT seat regardless of year.

And... as Spider-man indicated its not a difficult install and do take the seat off as he mentioned.

Big Bike Parts rep. guaranteed fitment of the 41-168A Show Chrome Driver Backrest onto a 2017 RT-S. Full refund if returned within 30 days. They are a pretty well-known parts supplier, so I see no harm in giving it a try. I'll line everything up for fitment before removing/cutting anything.

Ed&Jenelle
10-23-2017, 04:07 PM
I've used Utopia backrest for the last 20 years Goldwings victories and spiders

HankD
10-23-2017, 04:55 PM
I've used Utopia backrest for the last 20 years Goldwings victories and spiders

Yeah, I like the Utopia's also, larger pad and about the same price as the Show Chrome one. I'll figure out which one I want soon. Anything is better than the weightlifting belt I'm wearing while riding now! :(

Mazo EMS2
10-23-2017, 05:02 PM
I've got one of their backrests and I really like it. Lots of adjustability, and the install is pretty easy. I believe ours specified 2014 and newer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-24-2017, 07:31 PM

And... as Spider-man indicated its not a difficult install and do take the seat off as he mentioned. Dear Sir:........PLEASE STOP GUESSING ..... when you GUESS about something , and someone takes YOUR advice and it turns out NOT TO BE FACTUAL , that person either has a financial loss or possibly HURT depending on What is being guessed about ........... I've actually done a dozen or so INSTALS for 14 and up brackets .... and almost all of them were done with the SEAT still on the Spyder .. The 14 and up seat pans use FOUR bolts to attach the Bracket ( BRP's or any other Brand ) ... There are Newbies on this Forum who need some help with stuff and probably have not figured out who has Valid info and who is still " thinking maybe " or " guessing " it could be etc....... I like the Doctors code of ethics " Do No Harm " ...... I'm not writing this as a Personnel attack on you ...... I think everyone here should be careful of what or How they give advice ............ Love , Mike :thumbup:

Wing11
05-02-2018, 08:04 AM
Dear Sir:........PLEASE STOP GUESSING ..... when you GUESS about something , and someone takes YOUR advice and it turns out NOT TO BE FACTUAL , that person either has a financial loss or possibly HURT depending on What is being guessed about ........... I've actually done a dozen or so INSTALS for 14 and up brackets .... and almost all of them were done with the SEAT still on the Spyder .. The 14 and up seat pans use FOUR bolts to attach the Bracket ( BRP's or any other Brand ) ... There are Newbies on this Forum who need some help with stuff and probably have not figured out who has Valid info and who is still " thinking maybe " or " guessing " it could be etc....... I like the Doctors code of ethics " Do No Harm " ...... I'm not writing this as a Personnel attack on you ...... I think everyone here should be careful of what or How they give advice ............ Love , Mike :thumbup:

Well said. So many people read forums and get bad information and then that bad information spreads like wild fire and forum are useless.