PDA

View Full Version : First time Riding 2-up on my RTS

HankD
10-22-2017, 03:53 PM
I had the opportunity to do some 2-up riding recently. This was the first time for me to take a passenger on the RTS (had ridden 2 up a lot on 2-wheelers in the past). It was my passenger's first time on any sort of bike/trike at all so I had to do some initial training/practice with her.

I was really pleasantly surprised how well the RTS handled with two people. Once she got the feel of leaning with me and bracing herself, and I got the rear suspension settings dialed in, it was a really easy experience and I was very impressed with my Spyder's performance.

After about 30 miles or so, my passenger finally let loose of the "death grip" she had on the passenger handlholds. However, I have just noticed that she left claw marks on the rubberized portion of the passenger grips. I don't think there is much I can do to get those out. :banghead: Oh well, still fun!

ARtraveler
10-22-2017, 04:00 PM
I had the opportunity to do some 2-up riding recently. This was the first time for me to take a passenger on the RTS (had ridden 2 up a lot on 2-wheelers in the past). It was my passenger's first time on any sort of bike/trike at all so I had to do some initial training/practice with her.

I was really pleasantly surprised how well the RTS handled with two people. Once she got the feel of leaning with me and bracing herself, and I got the rear suspension settings dialed in, it was a really easy experience and I was very impressed with my Spyder's performance.

After about 30 miles or so, my passenger finally let loose of the "death grip" she had on the passenger handlholds. However, I have just noticed that she left claw marks on the rubberized portion of the passenger grips. I don't think there is much I can do to get those out. :banghead: Oh well, still fun!

You got it right. Passenger should mimic the leaning and planting that the driver does.

To late now, but I had the same situation with Linda. "If I have to ride on that thing, it will be a deal breaker in our relationship." I took it real low and slow. Her first 10 miles consisted of around a three block square area at 10 to 15 mph. Then we moved out to a very curvy five mile road. I went all the way up to 20 on that one. I coached her to follow my moves, and there were no "g" forces at all. At the end of that 10 miles, she suggested we go out to the highway. Three miles of 65 mph. Easy acceleration and stopping. Her reaction? Wahooooo! She put 10,000 passenger miles on that summer. I bought her a new 2011 in 2012 and she now has almost 28K on that. :yes:

jthornton
10-22-2017, 05:12 PM
My wife would not ride on the RT until I put a Baja Ron Sway Bar on. What a difference in how much it does not lean out any more. The passenger sits up higher so the roll out is much more for them.

JT