PDA

View Full Version : Tinted vs Clear Windshield

Tyris
10-22-2017, 02:37 PM
After first year of driving RT Limited, leaning toward F4 Windshield that is a bit wider and taller. Not sure if should make the switch to tinted or not any thoughts from those who switched to tinted?

Mazo EMS2
10-22-2017, 02:49 PM
I like the appearance of the tint, bit the practicality is more important. Personally I like to ride with the shield up on the chilly days and nights. I wouldn't wanna be looking thru a dark shield at night or even on a gloomy day

UtahPete
10-22-2017, 03:20 PM
I like the appearance of the tint, bit the practicality is more important. Personally I like to ride with the shield up on the chilly days and nights. I wouldn't wanna be looking thru a dark shield at night or even on a gloomy day

:agree:

Purple Guy
10-22-2017, 04:21 PM
I've had both and the tinted win hands down!
First of all the tint isn't as dark as you may think.
Don at F4 Customs has found the right balance for the percentage of tint they use in their windshields.
It is no harder to see through than the clear at night and if anything it's better!
The biggest advantage to having a tinted windshield at night is it really cuts down the glare / starburst of oncoming headlights.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-22-2017, 04:22 PM
Just to give some Perspective on this ..... Take your Spyder out for a drive tonight and wear Sunglasses .....then make up your mind .... What others do or don't do doesn't matter .............jmho ..........Mike :thumbup:

ofdave
10-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Like Purple Guy said, the tint is very light (unless you get the dark tint). And it does cut glare.
I've had tinted on several bikes and never had an issue.
I look over the windshield rather than through it.
At any rate, the tint is not as dark as sunglasses.

Triple B
10-22-2017, 10:44 PM
I just use the O.E.M. windshield on my RT-S and at night I wear yellow driving glasses. I use them in my auto as well. Works fine, cuts glare.

To each his own.

Chupaca
10-23-2017, 02:04 AM
It mostly depends on how much you look through the windshield and how much over it. I like the tinted one but have a very short shield...:thumbup:

HayRog
10-23-2017, 11:06 AM
It mostly depends on how much you look through the windshield and how much over it. I like the tinted one but have a very short shield...:thumbup:

:agree:
I've had tinted shields on all my bikes with never a problem. I use shields as wind deflection and tend not to look through them though.

F4 Customs
10-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Here at F4 Customs Inc. we always tell the folks that if you ride a lot at night stay with the clear if your going to look through. The Tint is a nice option if only "once in a while" driving at night. If your going to look over or can lower the windshield to look over at night it is a very nice look. Here at F4Customs our tint is a light tint and many of our riders report that it cuts down on the headlight glare at night.
F4 is always willing and ready to talk to anyone about the choices and our opinions on the right shield for your riding style.
Give us a call at 330-968-4644
Don

F4 Customs
10-24-2017, 06:11 AM

rudym
10-24-2017, 06:15 AM
After first year of driving RT Limited, leaning toward F4 Windshield that is a bit wider and taller. Not sure if should make the switch to tinted or not any thoughts from those who switched to tinted?

If you plan on looking through the windshield - go clear - esp if any night riding or rain at night riding may be involved.

F4 Customs
10-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Updated this post

Bob Denman
10-26-2017, 09:06 AM
If you plan on looking through the windshield - go clear - esp if any night riding or rain at night riding may be involved.
:agree: And if you look over your windshield: it doesn't matter a bit! :thumbup:

wmh9680
10-26-2017, 10:48 AM
How does a bigger windshield affect the passenger? I had a Kawa Voyager and bought a larger custom windshield and the air circled around a hit my wife in the back of the head and gave her a headache. Needless to say I took it off. Afterwards others told me the same thing about the wind on the passenger with a bigger windshield. Does it cover your hands more? Thanks, Mike

Motorcycledave
10-26-2017, 11:04 AM
After riding motorcycles for over 60 years, "Damn I'm old" I like the tint
however, DO NOT EVER get the dark tint unless you plan on parking your
machine in the garage at night, I have a light gray tinted Madstad shield, on my Spyder
and a light gray tinted Rifel shield on my Honda they are great DAY or NIGHT
the light gray seems to help with glare from the sun and reflected light.
Dave

Bob Denman
10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
How does a bigger windshield affect the passenger? I had a Kawa Voyager and bought a larger custom windshield and the air circled around a hit my wife in the back of the head and gave her a headache. Needless to say I took it off. Afterwards others told me the same thing about the wind on the passenger with a bigger windshield. Does it cover your hands more? Thanks, Mike
That was just exactly the wrong size windshield...:banghead:
Had it been a bit wider: it may have given your Wife a pocket of "still air" to sit in... :thumbup:
Unfortunately; it often can take some experimenting to get it right. :dontknow:

Lew L
10-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Or put in a Goldwing vent in the shield of your choice. A vent will enlarge the bubble of still air. This pushes the turbulence up and behind the passenger. It really worksnojoke.

Kaos

wmh9680
10-26-2017, 11:28 AM
I did put vents in the windshield. Been too long to remember the results (CRS). The guy I sold the Kawa to bought it sight unseen from Fort Worth, Tx. Flew in to Chicago and rode her home after not riding for years. He's rode her all over the country--still send me pics. Mike

Bob Denman
10-26-2017, 12:04 PM
That sounds like a happy ending to that bike's story; Thanks! :thumbup:

CA Railwhale
10-26-2017, 01:54 PM
I always look over the top of the windshield. No one makes a windshield tall enough to go over eye level for someone 6'2". When I got it I was leaning towards tinted, but my wife talked me into clear. In retrospect, the tinted one would have been just fine and might have looked a little better on my black Spyder. The clear one tends to really show bugs and smudges and I don't think the tinted one would show as much. I'm still very happy with the F4 and wouldn't change to another one.

ARtraveler
10-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Just to give some Perspective on this ..... Take your Spyder out for a drive tonight and wear Sunglasses .....then make up your mind .... What others do or don't do doesn't matter .............jmho ..........Mike :thumbup:

:agree: x 2. In night driving or days when it is really dark from heavy clouds--if you are looking through the windshield--visibility is a bit impaired.

I have Nolan helmets with the drop down tinted visor and they work very well for when you prefer a tinted view to tone down the glare.

I have tried the tinted faceplates (optional) in blue and yellow. For me, they are restrictive for what little driving in the dark that I do.

It's one of those, each must make their own final decision. Do what you like best. :yes::yes:

F4 Customs
10-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Here at F4 Customs Inc we offer a Plus 3 (3" taller than stock) and it is 2 1/2" wider per side. This is the shield that Kim and I ride with on our RT and we love the wind protection. At 6' tall when I am driving I can put the shield down and look over or put it up to look through. When riding on the back we really want the driver to have the shield all the way up as it makes a great deal of difference.
they come in Clear or Tint and with or without a vent.
Don Frank
330-968-4644

Tyris
10-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Here at F4 Customs Inc we offer a Plus 3 (3" taller than stock) and it is 2 1/2" wider per side. This is the shield that Kim and I ride with on our RT and we love the wind protection. At 6' tall when I am driving I can put the shield down and look over or put it up to look through. When riding on the back we really want the driver to have the shield all the way up as it makes a great deal of difference.
they come in Clear or Tint and with or without a vent.
Don Frank
330-968-4644

Will adding the vent interfere with a dashmount from TricLED?

F4 Customs
10-31-2017, 06:20 AM
This is Don at F4 Customs. We have a RT (or should I say Kim does) and we ride with the plus 3 wide with vent in clear. This provides us with the best ride for the passenger. Really makes a difference. Sometimes when we come into a town I will put the shield down to get a little more air but when we speed up Kim always reminds me to put the shield back up.
It really makes a big difference.
Don Frank
F4 Customs
330-968-4644

F4 Customs
10-31-2017, 06:24 AM
Will adding the vent interfere with a dashmount from TricLED?
Not sure. Reggie at TricLed is very familiar with the product that we have and he would be best to respond to this question.