PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation

ARNIE R
10-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Something to ponder.....

Last week after installing my rear wheel, I started experiencing a somewhat loud noise when the brakes were applied that was not present before the tire change. The rotor and pads were rubbing slightly when braking lightly and made an annoying screeching sound - felt like the rotor was badly warped.

Of course, I had previously removed the rotor and hub parts from the wheel because the repair shop needed the parts out of the way in order to mount and balance the car tire installed.

Pulled the wheel off a few days ago and mounted it and the axle onto two jackstands and gave it a spin. Sure enough the rotor exhibited a very slight side to side movement. Checked the thing with a metal straight edge at several spots and couldn't detect anything amiss. So, I removed it again and started experimenting by turning the rotor on the wheel clockwise one hole position at a time, re-bolting it back on, then spinning it. The side to side movement changed each time a tried each time I changed the bolt hole position. Finally found one position where there was almost no movement and put it all back together.

Long story short, I did a 200 mile ride today and did not experience any noise or pulsing from the back rotor. Kinda wondering why a flat rotor would do that depending on which way it was bolted to the hub.........

papanorm
10-22-2017, 05:22 AM
I suspect one possibility is that the rotor married up to a slightly out of round hub. And the one spot should be marked for future tire changes or maintenance so you can continue to ride smoothly.