PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Fix

WaltH
05-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know when BRP started using the parking brake fix on production units? The fix was retrofitted to my 08 SM5 a few months ago. Would an 09 SM5 manufactured in 11/08 have the new parking brake mechanism?

NancysToy
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know when BRP started using the parking brake fix on production units? The fix was retrofitted to my 08 SM5 a few months ago. Would an 09 SM5 manufactured in 11/08 have the new parking brake mechanism?
I strongly believe so. A dealer will have the entire list on the hard copy of the parking brake service bulletin, but they will need both the model designation and the serial number to look it up. The model is shown on the VIN plate, and the serial number is the end digits of the VIN #.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Dudley
05-15-2009, 07:47 PM
From my experience...I have an SE5, 2008. The parking brake worked perfectly. The dealer said I should have the "fix" done. Well, the "fix" was an "unfix". Worked like crap after. Finally had someone who knew what he was doing fix it correctly. Now it's good. Also, a fix anyone can do to help the brake lock and release easier is to spray some oil on the key/spring that locks into the notches as you apply the brake. I know it sounds stupid, but do it and you will see what I mean.
So, in summary, I guess that I am just suggesting to you, "If it works, don't fix it!"

NancysToy
05-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I used the lubrication method to keep the parking brake functional for over a year. Worked fine, but was a frequent pain in the rump. Reminded me of a Brit bike the way I had to keep fussing over it. (Note: Brit bikes are self-lubricating!) Had the parking brake fix done and it works flawlessly now. Not sure why Dudley's did not.

Dudley
05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I used the lubrication method to keep the parking brake functional for over a year. Worked fine, but was a frequent pain in the rump. Reminded me of a Brit bike the way I had to keep fussing over it. (Note: Brit bikes are self-lubricating!) Had the parking brake fix done and it works flawlessly now. Not sure why Dudley's did not.

"Certified Spyder Tech Malfunction"

Tom in NM
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
From my experience...I have an SE5, 2008. The parking brake worked perfectly. The dealer said I should have the "fix" done. Well, the "fix" was an "unfix". Worked like crap after. Finally had someone who knew what he was doing fix it correctly. Now it's good. Also, a fix anyone can do to help the brake lock and release easier is to spray some oil on the key/spring that locks into the notches as you apply the brake. I know it sounds stupid, but do it and you will see what I mean.
So, in summary, I guess that I am just suggesting to you, "If it works, don't fix it!"

Exactly the same thing happened on my SE5. Since my 600 mile service where they just went ahead and fixed it, but, now it works like it is malfunctioning. It usually won't lock until the 2nd try, sometimes the brake won't hold the Spyder if you push it, sometimes it won't disengage until 4 tries. And, sometimes it will snap back up and scrape my boot (better that than my ankle).

I'll try the lubrication route. Any other links I should look at?

Tom

WackyDan
05-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Guy at my dealer that spent 3 months on the BRP factory tour thingy told me that the biggest problem with the original parking brake was that people tended to put a lot of force on it when setting it.

He told me two clicks is all I'd need to have it hold, and so far that has held true. Now ...I;ve only got 500 miles so far so we'll see how long it holds up.

SethO
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I adjusted my cable so it brings the cable all the way in, and the parking brake still does not work, my brake pads are down to less 50% with 4000 miles on it so I don't know if it matters. looking at how the parking brake works it compresses the back pads on to the rotor so is there another adjustment to make it squeeze more on full engagement?

the reason I ask is I called the dealership I bought it from and the head wrench said he said he had adjusted the bar on the parking brake, has anyone ever done this.

spyryder
05-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I adjusted my cable so it brings the cable all the way in, and the parking brake still does not work, my brake pads are down to less 50% with 4000 miles on it so I don't know if it matters. looking at how the parking brake works it compresses the back pads on to the rotor so is there another adjustment to make it squeeze more on full engagement?

the reason I ask is I called the dealership I bought it from and the head wrench said he said he had adjusted the bar on the parking brake, has anyone ever done this.
You'll need to remove the parking brake lever from the rear caliper and reposition it to get more adjustment.

aubierules
05-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Guy at my dealer that spent 3 months on the BRP factory tour thingy told me that the biggest problem with the original parking brake was that people tended to put a lot of force on it when setting it.

He told me two clicks is all I'd need to have it hold, and so far that has held true. Now ...I;ve only got 500 miles so far so we'll see how long it holds up.
2 clicks and mine takes off down the road by itself

spyder08
05-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Me to. People have caught mine trying to escape down the road. I live in the mountains so there's nothin flat.

spyder08
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Oop's Me too.