PDA

View Full Version : What about what you don't you like about the Spyder?

SpyderSkeets
10-21-2017, 08:10 AM
There are lots of threads on why you LIKE the Spyder, but how 'bout some of the things you don't like or wish they would change, within reason, whether it's doable or not.
For me, in no particular order,
1. At, or above highway speeds, the steering is really touchy and it takes alot of concentration. I'd much rather drive on slower, twisty and turny roads.
2. I wish there was a way to somehow put the SE into neutral without having to come to a full stop.
3. Mine has the black satin matte finish. It's a pain to keep clean and spot free
4. I don't think the radio is as good as some people think.
5. The belt vibrations were annoying, but I have since put the belt tensioner on and it is a great improvement.
6. I'm starting to sound like a broken record talking to everyone who comes up and wants to talk about my Spyder. ( Ok...that one really isn't so bad. I enjoy people wanting to talk about it)

blacklightning
10-21-2017, 08:29 AM
I would like the frunk on my F3T to be the size of the one that was on my RSS or RT.
I would like the cut out for the drivers seat to be a little deeper in order to keep my "junk" off the tank. (I know I can get a custom seat)
I would like more power (around 200 hp would be nice, like the V4 in the 2nd. gen. Vmax)
With more power, I would also like to have a higher top end speed (around 160 would be nice).
Better pick up on the radio stations.

Bring the RSS back with the rotex V-Twin that Erik Buel used in his later bikes. I think it was a 1198 and produced around 140 hp.

Highwayman2013
10-21-2017, 08:36 AM
They could move the rear air pressure valve to the opposite side of the wheel (easier to put air in), put some better tires on it (Kendas suck), have it decently aligned when it is delivered (mine was off). They have addressed the dash on the 2018's, so we shall see how that goes. The belt vibration sucks, they came out with a cheap damper but not sure about that on a long trip. Overall a great machine, took it cross country in August and it did a great job.

SpyderSkeets
10-21-2017, 08:42 AM
The belt vibration sucks, they came out with a cheap damper but not sure about that on a long trip.

Why not? What would that have to do with a long trip?

Highwayman2013
10-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Why not? What would that have to do with a long trip?

The can am vibration dampers have had a lot of failures.

Chupaca
10-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Don't have any complaints or things to change that I can't do or have done myself. Would be nice if the manufacturer could custom build each unit to our liking but we know that is impossible. They have to make them middle of the road and hope they please as many ryders as they can. As you can see from the home page this gives our sponsor vendors things to make and fill the gaps and make a living. Nevertheless it is interesting to see what folks find lacking on these machines...:thumbup:

Foot note: I ride an RS bare bones no extras so little to complain about. The more you expect the more that can be or go wrong.....

Purple Guy
10-21-2017, 10:04 AM
The only complaint I have is there's yet to be an aftermarket Ski / Track conversion so I can ride it in the winter! :roflblack:

quasi
10-21-2017, 10:19 AM
the main 2 things that I see lacking on my old 2012 rts is the absence of adjustable rider footing, such as the F3 has, and shaft drive. other than that it is a pretty nice machine. as soon as I can get a RDL seat this winter it'll be a whole lot nicer.

Warlock
10-21-2017, 10:21 AM
1 I wished there parts wasn't made of gold and the cost at the dealership
2 Have people at the dealership trained to work on the bikes and timely manner
3 Better tech support
4 The cost and cost to replace the power steering unit.
5 A affordable software to help people who likes to do their own repairs
6 Computer too complicated with too many bells
David

Chupaca
10-21-2017, 10:48 AM
154832 Last I saw this the kit was around $4000.00

The only complaint I have is there's yet to be an aftermarket Ski / Track conversion so I can ride it in the winter! :roflblack:

Poseidon
10-21-2017, 11:41 AM
The way BRP tries to idiot proof everything they build with computer restrictions.

Like stated above, BUDS makes it difficult for people to work on their own bike. That was the main reason I sold my XMR1000. If it wasn't for my wife wanting a Spyder so bad, I would have never bought another BRP product. BMW is the same way with their proprietary software. At least with their cars anyway. I'm not sure about their bikes. I owned one BMW, a 530. It had an idiot light for everything (oil change, brake service, air filter, etc) and only the dealer could rest them at $150 a pop. Dash looked like a christmas tree until just before I sold it. Paid to have them turned off once and I'll never buy another one because of it!!!

CA Railwhale
10-21-2017, 01:02 PM
The fuel filler design on the F3 is the worst I have ever seen. I either have to lose a gallon and a half, or hold the elephant snout back and because the valves on the pumps are so coarse, I always wind up spilling gas on the bike.

asp125
10-21-2017, 01:12 PM
- I don't like that they cancelled the "Sports" line; guess more Spyder owners are taking the slow and comfy route. The RS / RSS / ST needs to come back, with more power.
- So difficult to do maintenance. You need tiny hands and every panel needs to come off for even basic stuff. Replace body fairing torx bolts with easy off Dzus or push pin fasteners, like most other bikes, for quicker access/maintenance.
- Hate checking the air in the rear tire. Move the air valve on the rear wheel to the exhaust side for easier access.
- Get rid of the Harleyesque markup for "branded" items; especially ones that are obviously made by known apparel and luggage makers.
- Work on making the dealer / service network more widely distributed and more knowledgeable.

ARtraveler
10-21-2017, 01:40 PM
I really do not have any complaints. Have now owned five of them. Had a 08 (the first one sold in AK), 09, 10, 11 & 14. Almost 140,000 combined miles.

They were pretty good from the get go and have made minor improvements over the succeeding years.

What don't I like? Still thinking about that.

I have asked for a bigger engine--as in GW power--but that don't look like it will happen anytime soon.

At the moment, content with what I have. :yes:

Bob Denman
10-21-2017, 01:41 PM
What don't I like:

That I'm still waiting for mine to be built! :banghead:
(Haven't ridden since June 27th... :gaah:)

gnorthern
10-21-2017, 02:29 PM
There are lots of threads on why you LIKE the Spyder, but how 'bout some of the things you don't like or wish they would change, within reason, whether it's doable or not.
1. At, or above highway speeds, the steering is really touchy and it takes alot of concentration. I'd much rather drive on slower, twisty and turny roads.

I am making a final decision on a Spyder Monday and have two questions.
1. Have you added an aftermarket sway bar?
2. Have you gotten a laser alignment?

Thanks.

newbert
10-21-2017, 02:36 PM
The fuel filler design on the F3 is the worst I have ever seen. I either have to lose a gallon and a half, or hold the elephant snout back and because the valves on the pumps are so coarse, I always wind up spilling gas on the bike.

Amen to that!

Other than that, there's not much that I don't like, except the price (both purchase and maintenance) ... and I'm still looking for a custom seat and/or cushion that better fits my decrepit body. :sour: I'm slowly getting there, though!

Poseidon
10-21-2017, 03:29 PM
I'm assuming there must be a lot of folks here that do not do their own maintenance since no one has mentioned the PITA oil change on the 1330. Getting the oil filter out, all the o-rings, drain plugs on both sides of the bike, etc. I used to complain about the oil change on my M109R... never again! It is super easy compared to the Spyder!

is it even possible to make something as simple as an oil change any more difficult? Why would you put the filter on top of the motor, attach a long rod on the cap of an internal filter, put several other parts around it, then cover it with plastic body work?

greybeard
10-21-2017, 05:03 PM
The can am vibration dampers have had a lot of failures.
really ? everyone I know has excellent luck with them

Richard Budden
10-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Here is my wish list and I am sure as time goes on my list with grow

1 The seat could be more comfortable on a $35000 machine
2 The SE6 should have a neutral option when coasting down hills
3 Original replacement parts and accessories are grossly overpriced
4 BRP should offer bottles of touch up paint to match your Spyder
5 A handbrake option should be available
6 The delayed startup on my 2014 should have an option to change it to instant start
7 The nanny should have an on/off option
8 A belt tensioner should be a installed from the factory considering the belt length
9 USB outlets should be upfront on the dash
10 The front suspension should also have air adjustable height for driving on gravel roads
11 Lots of chrome accessories avaiable but when you have an RTS the black powder coated accessories are limited

Richard Budden
Newfoundland, Canada

SpyderSkeets
10-21-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks.

Not yet. I only have <2000 miles on it and I'm not sure if I just need to get use to it stock or decide if the extra money spent for the sway bar and laser alignment is really worth it

RinconRyder
10-21-2017, 08:00 PM
(Not necessarily in priority order) - 2016 RTL SE6:

1. Too many unneeded bells and whistles (do we really need a digital AND analog speedometer?).
2. Switches need better separation (get that damn horn button away from the turn signal & put reverse button on right side).
3. RT seat not deep enough (tired of riding the glove box).
4. TWITCHY steering no matter how loose you hold the bars.
5. Brake placement could be better (why do I have to life my foot to brake?). Safety issue!
6. Why do I have to brake to shift into first gear? Engine revs would work as well.
7. Fix the brake fluid sensor - fluid level way too sensitive (a teaspoon? REALLY?).
8. Put factory drive belt guard on bike. A $30K machine should be able to be driven on gravel/unpaved roads.
9. OEM tires need to be much better.
10. Improved anti-sway bar.
11. Replace parking brake motor with manual cable.
12. Would much prefer frunk and seat latch lock/unlock be manual switch not connected to ignition key. Too easy to break key.
13. Fix windshield brackets so they don't crack/break when windshield lowered completely.
14. AND THE BIGGIE - Make dealer common maintenance MUCH less expensive. A $300-$500 new vehicle checkup is criminal.

I haven't yet needed to take the tupperware off this beast or I might have another dozen maintenance-related issues. From reading other's posts and manual the maintenance is too difficult.

PapaHotel
10-21-2017, 08:19 PM
really ? everyone I know has excellent luck with them

My BRP V damper is starting to squeak after 800 miles

blacklightning
10-21-2017, 08:21 PM
I continue to see people complain about having to lift their foot to brake. . But I have owned over 25 cars, and I had to lift my foot to mash the brakes on all of them. . Is braking really that hard for some?

newbert
10-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Not yet. I only have <2000 miles on it and I'm not sure if I just need to get use to it stock or decide if the extra money spent for the sway bar and laser alignment is really worth it

FWIW -- I had both done to my 2016 F3T at about 2500 miles, and can say that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they were both worth it.

acpd22
10-21-2017, 08:39 PM
As stated before these are not in any particular order and may have already been mentioned. Just my thoughts.

1. Loose the Kendas, for the love of God, they make lawnmower tires.
2. Replacement parts, $117.00 for a glove box lid. Checked the mail one day and laid it on the lid and scratched the crap out of it. An astounding $1800.00 for a trunk, Harley doesn't even charge that much.
3. Better paint, see above.
4. Cheaper aftermarket parts. Come on vendors how can you charge over a $100.00 for a tensioner that BRP sells for $40.00. Also $175.00 for a trailer light module that worked twice before it corroded and broke one of the pins.
5. Frunk needs to be bigger on the F3.
6. F3 Limited should come from the factory with passenger floorboards instead of pegs.

I guess a six-pack of moans and groans are enough for now!

ARNIE R
10-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Oetiker clamps.......I hate those dang things!:(

DGoebel
10-21-2017, 09:45 PM

Thanks.
Yes to both, but I do ride it very, very fast in the corners when riding alone.

mrb
10-21-2017, 10:28 PM
They could move the rear air pressure valve to the opposite side of the wheel (easier to put air in), .

Yes , yes, yes. Which engineer decided to put the valve there instead of the other side???? How hard is that to figure out?

Navydad
10-21-2017, 10:50 PM
1. Tire pressure monitoring system, XM radio, Bluetooth, better reception, and a weather radio that interrupts when there is a severe alert in your area. If Triumph can do it for far less money then BRP can do it too.
2. As mentioned PITA oil changes.
3. Less expensive farkles, but then everyone else's goodies are overpriced too.
4. Decent tires.

Fat Baxter
10-21-2017, 11:07 PM
I'm pretty happy with my RT-S. There are a few things I wish they'd fix or done better, but my wish list contains rather minor things:

1. A cigarette-lighter type electric power tap somewhere in the cockpit, perhaps in that middle space under the handlebars, where the rocker switches are (i.e., parking brake; rear shock adjustment; [power tap goes here]; heated grips on/off; fog lights). So I have a handy place to plug in a heated vest. That wouldn't cost much.

2. A more positive turn signal switch, especially the cancellation feature.

3. Brighter bulbs for all the warning lights in the dashboard. I can't see the turn indicators in the daylight (solved with Tricled's mirror-mounted turn signal LEDs). If any of them come on, I likely won't see it.

4. Put a hole in the key so we can easily attach a key fob.

5. And a favorite with other riders: relocate the blankety-blank air valve on the rear tire! :lecturef_smilie:

I'm pretty easy to please.

WilderThomas
10-22-2017, 12:54 AM

6 The delayed startup on my 2014 should have an option to change it to instant start
8 A belt tensioner should be a installed from the factory considering the belt length
10 The front suspension should also have air adjustable height for driving on gravel roads
11 Lots of chrome accessories avaiable but when you have an RTS the black powder coated accessories are limited

Richard Budden
Newfoundland, Canada

I have the 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5:

I dislike the poor fuel economy
I'd have liked to see a couple USB connections made available to the passenger
A beverage holder for the passenger (w/o having to obtain armrests)
A fuse puller should be standard in the tool kit
A tire plug/patch kit should have been standard with all Spyder's
The 3M nose/body protection should be made available to buyers of preowned and new Spyder's

cmbspyderrss
10-22-2017, 02:44 AM

No snow where i live but this would be a fun double duty for sure. Is it not where it started?

cmbspyderrss
10-22-2017, 03:02 AM
Here is my list but i only have a few miles so take it as you will

More Power. 140hp min
More Torque 100lbft min
Twitchy steering above 50mph. Getting used to it though
No Front Brake
Rev match easier with an SE.
The nanny should have an on/off option. I don't need Moms help 99% of the time.
The seat could be more comfortable but i get why it's not.
After two deep P-brake shin bangs i ask why the damn thing is so small and why it is where it is. I get honked at for mooning people to much trying to find the darn lever.
A belt tensioner should have been installed from the factory. Wish one was made for mine. Beginning to hate it.
USB or 12v outlet on the dash
Digital AND analog speedometer? Why?
Original replacement parts and accessories are insanely overpriced even not through the dealer.

mark4Jesus
10-22-2017, 06:29 AM
I continue to see people complain about having to lift their foot to brake. . But I have owned over 25 cars, and I had to lift my foot to mash the brakes on all of them. . Is braking really that hard for some?

Depends on the length of ones legs. Having to lift your leg requires adjusting body position and/or hand pressure on the handle bar. I have long legs, so it was awkward at first, getting used to it now.

mark4Jesus
10-22-2017, 06:39 AM
1. Radio reception.
2. Bigger floorboards for those of us with long legs and big feet.

So far that's it for me. I haven't had to do any servicing yet.

There were similar complaints by Victory owners. There are certain things that are aftermarket instead of factory. That being said, Victory is a fine motorcycle. And I believe the Spyder is a fine motorcycle also.

So, if you are reading this thread to make a decision on buying a Spyder, do not let it keep you from buying it. Every bike has its issues. Some have minor/pesky issues and are fine machines, like the Spyder.

ofdave
10-22-2017, 07:04 AM

this is the only vehicle with less than 4 wheels that I have ever owned that I have to lift my foot to use the brake.
Even a '15 RT I saw the other day has the brake pedal positioned so you can push it without lifting your foot.
My ankle does not bend so I can touch my toes to my shin. Thus, I lift my foot to press on the brake pedal.

d.o.spyder-rts
10-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Yes , yes, yes. Which engineer decided to put the valve there instead of the other side???? How hard is that to figure out?
:agree: it should be on the other side. Why isn't it? It could be an liability issue. If put on the side with the exhaust system, someone could get burned. Yea, we all know tire pressure should be checked cold before starting the engine but.....Dale

Bob Denman
10-22-2017, 09:33 AM
The engineer happens to be a direct descendent of the Marquis de Sade... :shocked:

TXrider
10-22-2017, 09:38 AM
1) PLEASE install a FUEL DOOR, in the side panel of the seat - it is a royal pain to lift the seat with something or someone on the back seat!!!!!!

2) Move the valve stem for the rear tire to the opposite side.

3) No delay in starting.

That's it short-n-sweet.

C. Lee
10-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Coming from a goldwing, it's hard for me to understand why this machine is belt driven. I think something of this size should be shaft driven. I also think the helmet locks are very poorly designed & located. My helmets have a communication system and won't lock under the seat and the storage spaces aren't big enough to hold 2. Oh and the radio reception sucks. Not big issues and certainly wouldn't stop me from buying, riding my spyder. I've more then doubled the average yearly mileage I put on my wing in 3 months. Chris

sylvester
10-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Only thing i would factory improve on the 17 F=3T limited is the micky mouse trunk lid what a piece of junk sturdy it up and put a decent open hold on it preferably a door strut:banghead:

Purple Guy
10-22-2017, 12:08 PM
154832 Last I saw this the kit was around $4000.00

:yikes: Might have to update my farkle signature! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
10-22-2017, 02:00 PM
The engineer happens to be a direct descendent of the Marquis de Sade... :shocked:

And what was his assistant always saying? Le Pain, Le Pain...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Sorry, but it came to me all at once. :yes:

RinconRyder
10-22-2017, 02:17 PM

In a car you are sitting on your butt and there is little to no pressure on your braking foot. On the Spyder a significant amount of weight is on your feet (or should be) AND is required for proper balance. Therefore, raising your right foot to brake can alter your balance (and that of the trike) AND slow down your braking response.

This would not be a problem if the Spyder came stock with a hand brake but the vast majority do not have this feature. I do, and use it almost exclusively even though the effort would be difficult for riders without my arm strength.

To BRP: If you are going to put only one brake pedal on the Spyder make sure it is useful IMMEDIATELY (which means, without having to move your foot from normal riding position). THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!

Bob Denman
10-22-2017, 04:56 PM
No; it's not...
The brake pedal is easily adapted to by most riders.
BRP won't put a handbrake on the Spyders... ever! (Told to me by a BRP Spyder Design Team Member... )

Poseidon
10-22-2017, 06:01 PM
:agree: it should be on the other side. Why isn't it? It could be an liability issue. If put on the side with the exhaust system, someone could get burned. Yea, we all know tire pressure should be checked cold before starting the engine but.....Dale
I am thoroughly convinced that BRP only hires engineers with law degrees and a subspecialialty in corporate law.

blacklightning
10-22-2017, 06:08 PM
No; it's not...
:agree:I have had no issues with the brake, and do not see how most would. But as stated, there is a handbrake to be bought and installed if needed. Maybe this could be a factory option for those in need.

canamjhb
10-22-2017, 11:13 PM
All the above. Need better power, better steering, less vibration, better tires, more conveniences, and all at less money.

RinconRyder
10-23-2017, 12:09 AM
No; it's not...
BRP won't put a handbrake on the Spyders... ever! (Told to me by a BRP Spyder Design Team Member... )

Wait until the first rider claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the motorcycle industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly.

asp125
11-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Oh here's another one. Why can't BRP use thread inserts or welded nuts on their machines? I was working on the remote battery terminals and both are bolt/nyloc combos. It's so tight in there that you run the risk of dropping the bolt or nut and it's a PITA to reach the back side of some of those frame members.

UtahPete
11-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Oh here's another one. Why can't BRP use thread inserts or welded nuts on their machines? I was working on the remote battery terminals and both are bolt/nyloc combos. It's so tight in there that you run the risk of dropping the bolt or nut and it's a PITA to reach the back side of some of those frame members.

Good idea. Captive nuts would help.

Peter Aawen
11-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Wait until the first rider claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the motorcycle industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly.

And that's just as likely to happen &/or succeed as well as the case brought by the first driver who claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the transport industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly.... :dontknow: :gaah:

The Spyder's brake pedal has been put where it is & as it is because the majority of the driving world accepts that they work admirably there & in that size/configuration - so if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs.... :lecturef_smilie:

Richardv
11-05-2017, 09:05 PM
:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Richard Budden
Newfoundland, Canada

.......:shocked: .... wow....!!!!! :banghead:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-05-2017, 09:13 PM
:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

.......:shocked: .... wow....!!!!! :banghead:
Why? :dontknow:

ES44AC
11-05-2017, 09:17 PM
My most annoying thing is the marshmallow rear tire. Who's dumb idea was it to put the valve stem where it is so hard to get too.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Who's dumb idea was it to put the valve stem where it is so hard to get too.
Joseph-Armand Bombardier's mother???? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

spydernatic
11-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Need adjustable front shocks like I had on my 2012 RTL ....too much movement on this 2017

Bandera
11-05-2017, 10:08 PM
1) PLEASE install a FUEL DOOR, in the side panel of the seat - it is a royal pain to lift the seat with something or someone on the back seat!!!!!!

2) Move the valve stem for the rear tire to the opposite side.

3) No delay in starting.

That's it short-n-sweet.

I agree, the RT seat should have a Fuel Door or they should relocate the fuel cap where you do not have to lift the seat.

Michael

odd
11-05-2017, 10:57 PM
1. Pieces of Tupperware ends breaking off.

2. Brakes squeak, always have to clean rotors.

3. Needs shaft drive.

2dogs
11-05-2017, 11:50 PM
If the spyder had been a Honda or Yamaha product we probably wouldn't have as many of these discussions and complaints. :banghead: :banghead: All the rice burners I've owned over the years have been rock solid, dependable, fairly bullet proof and much easier (less expensive) to work on.

ofdave
11-06-2017, 02:59 AM
And that's just as likely to happen &/or succeed as well as the case brought by the first driver who claims in court he slammed into that stopped truck because his foot got hung up on the brake pedal when the rest of the transport industry mounts their pedals so that they can be applied instantly.... :dontknow: :gaah:

The Spyder's brake pedal has been put where it is & as it is because the majority of the driving world accepts that they work admirably there & in that size/configuration - so if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs.... :lecturef_smilie:

I'm thinking you don't ride an F3 or your comment would not have been a generalization.
And these aren't cars.

Peter Aawen
11-06-2017, 03:18 AM
That's true ofdave, they aren't cars, but that's irrelevant.... for the majority of drivers/riders out there, the thinking effort required to use your foot to apply the brakes is pretty much the same as that required to use your hand to apply the brakes; and there's a vast amount of precedence that's been set in courts around the world re the rider/driver error of not riding/driving far enough back to allow themselves sufficient time to apply the brakes early enough to stop & avoid running up someone's clacker... :lecturef_smilie:

Which is why I believe that my statement is still valid & perfectly applicable in response to RinconRyders post & the likelihood of either situation bringing about any successful court cases - "...if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs...." ;)

ofdave
11-06-2017, 04:48 AM
That's true ofdave, they aren't cars, but that's irrelevant.... for the majority of drivers/riders out there, the thinking effort required to use your foot to apply the brakes is pretty much the same as that required to use your hand to apply the brakes; and there's a vast amount of precedence that's been set in courts around the world re the rider/driver error of not riding/driving far enough back to allow themselves sufficient time to apply the brakes early enough to stop & avoid running up someone's clacker... :lecturef_smilie:

Which is why I believe that my statement is still valid & perfectly applicable in response to RinconRyders post & the likelihood of either situation bringing about any successful court cases - "...if you can't drive a car with a brake pedal or work with the Spyder's brake pedal, then I reckon they (BRP) will always consider that to be your problem, not theirs...." ;)

Peter, agreed on the relevancy of comparison to cars, I included it because of your mention of it earlier.
Using a hand brake is nowhere near the same as using a foot brake. It is common to "cover" the front brake when riding. Your hand is not removed from the bar to do this. This is not as easily done with a foot brake and near impossible on the F3 unless you hold your foot in the air off the peg and above the brake pedal.
Using rear brakes on most bikes (and most of us come from bikes) does not require lifting your foot off the peg to do so. It involves rocking your foot up a bit (heel still on the peg or floorboard), slightly rotating your foot, and the pressing down on the pedal. Just like you do on your RT.
I think if you spent some time on an F3, you'd better understand what Rincon , and I, refer to.
I really don't give a rat's patoot about a successful court case. I am concerned with operating the brake as quickly and safely as possible when a quick stop is required. There is room for improvement on the F3.

Peter Aawen
11-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Does about 5,000 miles all up on a variety of F3's count towards being slightly familiar ofdave?? About 1/3 of those miles on tracks at high speed with numerous tight curves requiring a lot of braking on the limit.... where most skilled riders or drivers cover the brake regardless of the machine they are operating. :rolleyes:

But the comment re the court cases was simply because THAT was the crux of RinconRyders post - he said/implied something like "wait unti the first rider claims in court...." and THAT is what I suggested is going to be as successful as any driver making the same claim re their foot brake, simply because the motor industry & the laws & the courts in general & collectively consider that easily operated foot brakes which the vast majority of drivers & ryders are well acquainted with will be more than adequate for any basically competent driver/ryder... & btw, there is significant precedence that supports that point of view too. ;)

ofdave
11-06-2017, 06:01 AM
Does about 5,000 miles all up on a variety of F3's count ofdave?? About 1/3 of them on a track at high speed with numerous tight curves requiring a lot of braking on the limit.... where most skilled riders or drivers cover the brake regardless of the machind they are operating. :rolleyes:

But the comment re the court cases was simply because THAT was the crux of RincoRyders post - he said/implied something like "wait unti the first rider claims in court...." and THAT is what I suggested isn't ever going to happen, simply because the motor industry and the courts in general & collectively consider that easily operated foot brakes which the vast majority of drivers & ryders are well acquainted with will be more than adequate for any basically competent driver/ryder... & btw, there is significant precedence that supports that point of view too. ;)

so given your considerable experience on an F3, can you share how you covered the brake?
It seems many of us are not as "basically competent" as you.

Peter Aawen
11-06-2017, 06:17 AM
Just like many others, I found the position of the brake pedal itself to be a right pain, but it's what's there & it's what any basically competent rider has no choice but to use unless they want to make or pay for the fitting of an alternative. And funnily enough, MOST ryders seem competent & content enough to continue using the brake pedal pretty much as is where is - and they wouldn't be so incompetent as to continuing to ryde like that if they didn't think they were competent & safe to do so, would they?? :dontknow:

But like I said/implied & that you seem to take great umbrage to, I really doubt that there is any court anywhere that'd ever even consider the positioning of the brake pedal warrants hearing any case based upon the brake pedal positioning being the cause of an accident.... but of course, we do have a saying about silly court cases here in Aus - it goes pretty much like this: "only in the United States of America...." :rolleyes:

:joke: :thumbup:

ofdave
11-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Just like many others, I found the position of the brake pedal itself to be a right pain, but it's what's there & it's what any basically competent rider has no choice but to use unless they want to make or pay for the fitting of an alternative. And funnily enough, MOST ryders seem competent & content enough to continue using the brake pedal pretty much as is where is - and they wouldn't be so incompetent as to continuing to ryde like that if they didn't think they were competent & safe to do so, would they?? :dontknow:

But like I said/implied & that you seem to take great umbrage to, I really doubt that there is any court anywhere that'd ever even consider the positioning of the brake pedal warrants hearing any case based upon the brake pedal positioning being the cause of an accident.... but of course, we do have a saying about silly court cases here in Aus - it goes pretty much like this: "only in the United States of America...." :rolleyes:

:joke: :thumbup:

Good to know you found the position to be "a right pain". Still waiting to hear how you "covered" the pedal "on tracks at high speed with numerous tight curves requiring a lot of braking on the limit...."
There are posts here on how some less "basically competent" riders have made a correction to the position.
Some of us less "basically competent" use the pedal provided but feel free to mention it as being less than ideal. Following your line of thought we who are "so incompetent" should just park it, rather than mentioning it as something we do not like about the Spyder which is what this thread was started as a discussion about.

I reread my posts but could not find anything that indicated I "take great umbrage to" anything you said about any court case. Maybe I missed it. Please tell me where I mentioned a court case other than when I said "I really don't give a rat's patoot about a successful court case. I am concerned with operating the brake as quickly and safely as possible when a quick stop is required. There is room for improvement on the F3." Maybe I was not clear enough. Or you may be confusing my post with another.

I see nothing constructive coming from continuing this conversation.
The thread has been taken far enough off topic with nothing learned so I am through here.
Reply as you see fit, I know you like the last word.

rudym
11-06-2017, 07:22 AM
2. I wish there was a way to somehow put the SE into neutral without having to come to a full stop.
3. Mine has the black satin matte finish. It's a pain to keep clean and spot free
5. The belt vibrations were annoying, but I have since put the belt tensioner on and it is a great improvement.
6. I'm starting to sound like a broken record talking to everyone who comes up and wants to talk about my Spyder. ( Ok...that one really isn't so bad. I enjoy people wanting to talk about it)
I wish it leaned and counter steered.

Eviltwin
11-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Took my first longer ride this weekend and while I like the bike and the ride, there are a few things I've noticed that could have been done better. Probably all noted by others as well.

Bike is noisy. My ears were ringing after about 2 hours in the saddle. Will have to wear some earplugs for long rides from now on. Did not have that issue with the Honda Silverwing.
Downshifting the transmission isn't the smoothest either by letting the bike do it or trying to do it myself. Starting to develop a feel for how to get less of a CLUNK every time it happens.
This thing seriously sucks gas. Ran about 80 miles, used a bit shy of 4 gallons. Ouch. My Mercedes gets better mileage and it's a 6.
Crummy rear tire needs replacement already.
No power outlet up front where you would want to plug something in. Will have to add something in the next week or so when I mount my little Nuvi.
Valve stem on the rear wheel, nuff said.
Turn signal lights are difficult to see in daytime, will have to add some led's to the mirrors.
The glove box was pathetic, then I figured out how to pull out the padded liner, now my phone will fit, though I don't know whether it would cook in there with the engine heat.
I replaced some of the screws on the handlebar controls with stainless. For an expensive bike, stainless should be standard, not coated steel. And this bike was supposedly kept inside all its life.

Overall I am happy with the bike. Brake doesn't bother me, though I wish it did have a hand control as well. I thought the bike was well controlled and tracked straight on the road.

Bob

Richardv
11-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Why? :dontknow:

First, it is illegal to drive in neutral, second if you need to manouver out of a situation, you'r stuck with no power to react fast....
:lecturef_smilie:

asp125
11-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Why can't BRP follow the lead of many motorcycle manufacturers and make the pedal position adjustable? It took them until the F3 to make adjustable position foot controls. If you ever spent time looking at 2 wheelers, their shifters often have splined shafts and adjustable rod ends, and their brakes often have splined shafts. Hand controls have long had reach adjustability so a precedence has been set. Simple fixes to let riders fine tune to their liking. Seems that BRP puts out a product THEY think the public wants, and customer feedback be damned.

bn2wild
01-21-2018, 12:28 PM
First, it is illegal to drive in neutral, second if you need to manouver out of a situation, you'r stuck with no power to react fast....

Yes, what is the point of being in Neutral? Fuel economy? I think not!
I think also the compression sequence of motor is charging your battery if you are coasting in gear as well isn't it?

bn2wild
01-21-2018, 12:40 PM
For me, coming from a 2012 RTL to a 2017 F3L,
1. Stereo rear speaker balance control seems to be missing.
2. Glove box doesn't lock now.
3. Frunk is the size of a teaspoon (OK exaggeration but barely fits 1 helmet upside down)
4. Brake pedal height position (this could have been corrected in the rod length - instead of having to modify a factory part)
5. Passenger height position TOO HIGH (making her feel tossed around) and on hard slippery seat when cornering. It is tough for her to stay on with high spot in middle rather than cupped. I'm adding armrests to keep her in the seat, but then you lose the heated handgrips to install the armrests (why?)
:banghead:

Spyderjuice
01-21-2018, 02:10 PM
I've said this before. Make the power steering effortless in a parked or stand still paved lot. If you can't turn the wheels without a lot of effort when standing still in a parking lot... I have read that newer spyders have easier steering. Why can't they authorize a reprogram of steering on the earlier models. I have a 2014 RTS.

Stan

Mad Mac
01-21-2018, 02:28 PM
My most annoying thing is the marshmallow rear tire. Who's dumb idea was it to put the valve stem where it is so hard to get too.

That would be the effects of "HIGHER" edgamacation and teaching the common sense right out of a person!!:yikes:Mad Mac:roflblack:

RinconRyder
01-21-2018, 02:51 PM

Yes! When every other bike I have ever owned, since 1958, doesn't require a leg lift to foot brake this is a safety issue.

Fortunately my RTL has a hand brake should I need an immediate brake.

RinconRyder
01-21-2018, 02:57 PM

And I will NEVER buy another BRP product!

ingramsail
01-21-2018, 03:04 PM
BRP customer care and BRP warranty.

2dogs
01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
BRP customer care and BRP warranty.

BRP, and their indifference to consumers after the purchase! Sure glad I didn't buy one of their snowmobiles or jet skis and I won't be buying one of their side-by-sides.

SPYD3R
01-21-2018, 04:10 PM
my only complaint is; i can't ride 2 or more SPYD3RS at any one time.... or ride while i'm sleeping.... :yes:
Dan P
SPYD3R

redrt
01-21-2018, 05:13 PM
I would like to see adjustable pegs and bars on RT like the F3, shaft drive to get rid of vibration issue. and see more motor exposed to make servicing easy'r I feel the F3 is on track but more s needed. Also the RT is so wide in the front highway pegs are not use able.

Lew L
01-21-2018, 08:32 PM
MORE POWER If I can handle the much higher power of my last 3 motorcycles I could handle it on the :spyder2:.

AY4B
01-21-2018, 10:10 PM
Less Power and torque on rainy days when the ride leader has a death wish. My wheels kept wanting to spin when I gave it too much gas.
Make the break pedal harder to get to. I dont have to lift my foot to break and need the exercise.
Vibration? Dont know what your talkin about, I just loosened the belt from 200 to 180 and 90% of it went away. I have a RR Damper that I just bought and not sure If I will use it.

AY4B
01-21-2018, 10:17 PM
No seriously, Why did my 2014 ST limited come with a Garmin Zumo and my new F3 limited did not?

AY4B
01-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Why Did they make the Front valve stems so short, you cant get a Tire Pressure monitor on them. If they did that, they need an internal TPM like most cars have.

bn2wild
01-21-2018, 10:42 PM
No seriously, Why did my 2014 ST limited come with a Garmin Zumo and my new F3 limited did not?

Same reason my 2012 RTS L did, and my 2017 F3T L didn't.

But, the Zumo isn't that great anyway for the almost $1k that they want to charge for the upgrade...

Personally I saw this as an opportunity, and have gone with the aftermarket Garmin 61 LMT-S, certainly larger at 7" and much better resolution!!

WilderThomas
01-21-2018, 11:58 PM

I have a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-SE5 in magnesium silver. What I don't like, is the gas mileage, or more specifically, how far one is able to ride with 6 gallons of gas. Mine, with judicious use of the throttle, is able to obtain around 130 miles before requiring a gas stop.

Raprider
01-22-2018, 07:50 AM
With a whopping 120 miles of experience, I'd say...
1. Why have the analog speedo go to 200? Top to a "reasonable" number and put a bit more spacing between the rest of the digits.
2. Reconfigure some of the left-hand switches...I hit the horn instead of upshifting 3 times yesterday!
Looking forward to getting used to these 2 and finding others over the next 120 miles ;)

C. Lee
01-22-2018, 09:24 AM
I ride a 16 RTL with about 6k miles, the things I dislike are; helmet locks (since they don't fit in the compartments), I can't attach helmets under the seats when they have communicators. Also i'd like to see a USB port on the dash. I'd also like a shaft drive, I'm not sure why a machine as large as this still uses a belt. I really love my spyder and wish I'd purchased it long ago. Chris

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-22-2018, 09:28 AM
1. Why have the analog speedo go to 200? Top to a "reasonable" number and put a bit more spacing between the rest of the digits.

The top speed of the Spyder is less than 200 km/hr! The gauges can be switched to metric.

Pirate looks at --
01-22-2018, 10:23 AM
2. Reconfigure some of the left-hand switches...I hit the horn instead of upshifting 3 times yesterday!
Looking forward to getting used to these 2 and finding others over the next 120 miles ;)
Please note that the Spyder is available in other countries where Kilometers not miles are the unit of measure not miles. So when in one of those countries you can switch the speedometer to KPH. 157202My wife was not going 131 mph when she took this picture in Ontario Canada!

asp125
01-22-2018, 10:57 AM
It's sunny and there's 4-6" of fresh powder out. I don't like that the spyder doesn't have room to fit snow tires and an off switch for the nanny so I can get out of my driveway and do donuts in the street! ;)

Little Blue
01-22-2018, 12:06 PM
All Very Good Ideas. :chat: 1. A Key with a Hole. 2. Tire Options. Dealers are allow to LET the customer choose a BETTER Tire and then are willing to INSTALL These Tires. 3. A Frunk That was designed to hold a Large Full Face Helmet or Better yet 2 Full Face Helmets with Headsets. 4. A Larger Foot Brake Pedal. 5. Turning signal Lights at mirrors that the Ryder can SEE, IF they are STILL ON. 5. Better Quality Speakers and Volume Control For the Rear Speakers. 6. PLUS :thumbup::thumbup:

agedbikeman
10-30-2019, 05:12 PM
In my opinion the whole bike is shoddily made, everthing only fits where it touches
If the body was not curved in front of the foot rests but squared off away from the footrests you could put your feet further forward
The original RT seat is the wrong shape for a bike, why not make comfort seat standard insted of ripping us off for it
they should use right angle pump connectors on the rear tyre, other manufacturers do
If they dished the rear wheel the opposite way, mounted the brake discand the belt pulley together then used a single sided swing arm, the rear wheel could be mounted like a car wheel, 5 nuts and its off, BMW do that.
Shape the back of the exhaust so you could get a torque wrench on the axle nut, with the above you wouldn't need to
I used to think this bike was a pile of junk 'til I bought a 24 year old golwing, now I think it's a REAL pile of junk.
Take the frunk off to replace the headlamp bulbs(UK model)
I woudn't buy another one, I always advise people who talk to me about it to steer well clear of one.

cruisinTX
10-30-2019, 06:09 PM
My list:

1. hate the wait between turning the key and ability to start the engine; with modern computer technology it should be simple enough for BRP to offer a reprogramming for very little cost.
2. I would prefer a 1330 diesel engine over the gas; it would provide two or three times the torque and probably three times the fuel mileage
3. a gas tank that is easier to fill to the top; takes waaaaay too long to get that last gallon in
4. prefer a shaft drive over a belt any day
5. would have been easy to design top-case to hold full face helmets. the way it is now is a pretty silly design on the RT L

cruisinTX
10-30-2019, 06:20 PM

We rode one without the sway bar before buying the RT w have now. Don't wait on the sway bar; it makes a huge difference.

cruisinTX
10-30-2019, 06:38 PM
In a car you are sitting on your butt and there is little to no pressure on your braking foot. On the Spyder a significant amount of weight is on your feet (or should be) AND is required for proper balance. Therefore, raising your right foot to brake can alter your balance (and that of the trike) AND slow down your braking response.

This would not be a problem if the Spyder came stock with a hand brake but the vast majority do not have this feature. I do, and use it almost exclusively even though the effort would be difficult for riders without my arm strength.

To BRP: If you are going to put only one brake pedal on the Spyder make sure it is useful IMMEDIATELY (which means, without having to move your foot from normal riding position). THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!
I'm wondering why you feel the need to put so much downward pressure on your feet. There is no need to be pressing down unless you want to press down on the inside foot during aggressive turns. Otherwise, it has three wheels and will balance itself quite nicely. I've even been known to move my feet around, lift my toes from time to time and even hang my feet off to the sides of the floor board to have a variety of positions during very long rides.

Little Blue
10-31-2019, 02:22 AM
:coffee: I watched the video of the 2020 RT and they made a few changes.

I believe BRP needs to really take a Good LONG Look at the Competition takes on Touring Motorcycles.

BRP .....Look.....Listen....Ask..... then.....Build.

I will wait another year and see what happens.....
.:thumbup:

Wahrsuul
10-31-2019, 06:14 AM
Not sure why the belt drive, but for the most part, I don't have a problem with it. I wish more bikes had it - it's easier to maintain and quieter than a chain, less parasitic loss than a shaft. Still, shaft drive would be nice.

The plastic encased nuts need a re-design. And for god's sake, use stainless!

A F%$#! rebuild kit for the calipers would be GREAT!. Having to replace a $300 caliper because $50 worth of seals needs to be replaced....

Fuel door. On the 2020, you still have to lift the seat, even though it's only the front part.

Mikey
10-31-2019, 06:28 AM
You know we are all are a bunch of whine asses!!!:roflblack:

seagravesg
10-31-2019, 07:48 AM
Having never ridden a three wheel, I am taking a riding course this weekend. 30+ years of two wheel riding but none in a year since accident on Gold Wing F6B. BUT, after reading what owners do not like ( I do appreciate you guys sharing ), I am somewhat less excited about owning a BRP/Spyder. Still will hopefully enjoy 2-day course if nothing more than 'entertainment'.
The GW was an exceptional machine with diy maintenance such as oil changes, etc. made easy. Dealer needed visits were usually a one-day event.
Again, enjoy the forum.

billz
10-31-2019, 10:50 AM
Seagravesg,

Unless you can no longer ride your GW, or any other 2 wheeler, really think hard about getting a Spyder. I had hip replacement surgery in June. I let myself get convinced that I should get rid of my 1200 RT. My feelings: the Spyder is great if you have never ridden a motorcycle, or primarily ride hiways. Living in the foothills of the Sierra's, most of our riding is in the mountains. I have added the Bajaron anti-sway bars andtinkerd with the air pressure. Hard times evlen keeping up with the Ultrasl in our group. If you ride 2 up its even worse. Take some serious test ride time on the Spyder your considering. If you can rent one for a week, or elven on a trip you have taken in the past, it would be worth the money.

WisconsinDavid
10-31-2019, 10:52 AM
I have an older '10 RS, built before BRP refined things more and more. Still... it is a fun ride after years on Harley and Honda 2 wheelers. Took a 3k tour this early summer and the Spyder ran great and the owner smiled a lot in the wind. Every machine can be improved as the years of engineering roll forward. Be excited about the course and having handlebars in your hands again. I've ridden harley 3 wheelers and, in my opinion, the Spyder is the superior 3 wheel product currently available. My only beefs are haphazard dealership support, expensive parts and even more expensive service. I've learned to do much on my own to avoid #3 on that list as much as possible. Good luck to you, Seagravesg!

Lew L
10-31-2019, 04:03 PM
MORE POWER If I can handle the much higher power of my last 3 motorcycles I could handle it on the :spyder2:.

Well I fixed that nojoke. Stage 1 ECM flash :thumbup: So to answer the origional question. There is NOTHING I dis-like about my spyder.

Lew L

seagravesg
10-31-2019, 04:09 PM
Good comments! In large part my inclination to strongly consider 3-wheels is: late 60's, no holding a bike up (although I am fit for the age), reverse which is needed on big bikes. But, there are smaller 2-wheelers that come in under 800-900 lbs. worth also considering.
I know this thread invited criticisms to off set accolades listed previously and I really enjoyed what others have experienced.
billz--I do not ride 2 up anymore. Ins. Co. totaled F6B (sounds worse than it was). Will you look to go back to 2 wheels?
WisconsinDavid--sounds like you have enjoyed the 2 wheel to 3 wheel transition with no looking back. thanks for sharing.

Wahrsuul
11-01-2019, 06:20 AM
I went to 3 wheels because of the wife - she has some knee/back issues, and got to where she didn't like getting on the two-wheelers as she was afraid of it falling over. I did a test ride on a 2010 RT, and honestly if I'd let that be my deciding factor, I wouldn't own one today. But after posting my reactions and reading what others had to say, I picked up a used 2014. It took some miles for the transition, but now it's all pretty natural, and I enjoy riding it.

I looked at 'Wing trikes, but the local Honda shop doesn't like working on them in general, and won't touch anything over 10 years old. Besides, I've never been fond of them and can't see myself riding it daily for amusement. I looked at SlingShots, but she didn't think she'd be able to climb in/out easily, and for the most part, it's too car like.

Mostly in this thread we're just whining about small annoying things. I'm not giving up the Spyder any time soon.

Pirate looks at --
11-01-2019, 07:32 AM
70000 Spyder Miles and nothing but smiles so far!

spyder01
11-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Yes there are a few issues but Im willing to deal with them. FYI bike is 17 Rtl.
1.No one mentioned the parking brake.I had a really cool chrome foot that I use to put under my GW kickstand,this thing doesn't even have a kickstand or a need for it.
2.Semi automatic shifting,really,I used to love shifting and working the clutch especially in heavy traffic.
3.The gas mileage pisses me off.My body is ready for a break around 150 miles and this thing begs me to stay on for close to 200 miles.
4.The little lady is unhappy with the extra storage space,she used to pack smart and now she just throws everything in there.When we get to a hotel were dragging in so much stuff it takes several trips.
5.Electric windshield,this thing is driving me nuts.I cant stop fiddling with it,up down up down up down,gotta be perfect at every speed or weather condition.
6.The Nanny,I dont need no stinkin Nanny watching over every little move I make.It takes away from the excitement,the feeling of danger,knowing that your chances of making it to your destination in one piece are very good.
7.These Spyders in general draw crowds.You cant go anywhere without someone coming up and asking questions.It gets to be irritating.
8.I like to customize my bikes,make it my own but theres so few accessories out there for Spyders,at least maybe a seat or a creepy Spyder sticker!
9.Rant over

billz
11-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Seagravesg.

I probably will end up going back. After dropping $30K it is irritating that so much is needed to make it "curve worthy. Plus, I was spoiled by the 45 to50 mpg I got on my Beemer. I do a cross country ride every Spring and it's nice not having to worry about the next gas stop. The storage space is nice, reverse is also very nice. I have an RT, and the smaller models might handle better. Good Luck, keep the rubber side down.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-01-2019, 01:11 PM
...it is irritating that so much is needed to make it "curve worthy.
Can you expand on what you mean by "curve worthy"? Are you perhaps one of of us who likes to ride curves harder than does the 70% (or whatever the % is) of ryders the Spyder is designed and manufactured for? I'm sure you recognize that the Spyder is physically a different machine from a two-wheeler therefore it will handle curves in a physically different manner than two-wheelers. And it is a tremendous difference. Curve handling is one of the strongest characteristics of a Spyder as expressed by a majority of SL members, hence I'm puzzled by your comment.

billz
11-01-2019, 02:34 PM
IdahoMtnSpyder,

I guess I am one of those who likes to take the twisties fast. I don't mean "crazy", just comfortable. I learned to ride in the Sierra's, haven't been up to your neck of the woods yet, but I am looking forward to it. Used to live north of Seattle and went to Spokane and Cour'd laine. I would need to ride some of those roads that would have the Spyder rated so high in the curves... They might not be what we consider curves. Yes the Spyder is a great bike for what it is and I enjoy the ride except in the twisties.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Billz,

Do these two posts of mine offer any more insight as to why you don't like the way the Spyder handles curves?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?126355-I-know-its-me-but&p=1477256&viewfull=1#post1477256

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108596-Spyder-RT-verses-Goldwing-We-re-confused&p=1306744&viewfull=1#post1306744

For a comment about the speed a reverse trike can take a curve vs a two-wheeler read the 3rd paragraph here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108596-Spyder-RT-verses-Goldwing-We-re-confused&p=1306744&viewfull=1#post1306744

Pirate looks at --
11-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Seagravesg.

I probably will end up going back. After dropping $30K it is irritating that so much is needed to make it "curve worthy. Plus, I was spoiled by the 45 to50 mpg I got on my Beemer. I do a cross country ride every Spring and it's nice not having to worry about the next gas stop. The storage space is nice, reverse is also very nice. I have an RT, and the smaller models might handle better. Good Luck, keep the rubber side down.

The biggest upgrade for your Spyder to make it curve ready, is for you to learn to ryde! You can add to that if you want to, but the Spyder can handle things right out of the crate. The more you ryde, the better it turns!

Pirate looks at --
11-01-2019, 04:17 PM
IdahoMtnSpyder,

I guess I am one of those who likes to take the twisties fast. I don't mean "crazy", just comfortable. I learned to ride in the Sierra's, haven't been up to your neck of the woods yet, but I am looking forward to it. Used to live north of Seattle and went to Spokane and Cour'd laine. I would need to ride some of those roads that would have the Spyder rated so high in the curves... They might not be what we consider curves. Yes the Spyder is a great bike for what it is and I enjoy the ride except in the twisties.

Well, I ryde the Sierras almost every weekend! I can haul a*# down highway 49 between Coulterville and Mariposa ( aka” The Little Dragon” ) and keep up with sport bikes. We just did a ryde that took us Over Sonora Pass, Monitor Pass, and Ebbetts Pass and we took it HARD! Are those considered “curves”, where you come from? The Spyder is a very capable machine when the one with the handle bars learns how to RYDE it! Oh and this last summer we rode from Coeur d’Alene to Walla Walla through those same twisties you mentioned. The only modification I have is a $200.00 sway bar. And I rode from Nor Cal to Valcourt Quebec Canada before we put that on. So learn to ryde, just like you learned how to ride your Beamer, and you will start to be amazed. I would suggest that you take the 3 wheel class offered by BRP!

billz
11-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the input. Didn't mean to cause any issues. I will keep practicing and putting in the miles.

MCCMPR
11-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Number one for me would be a brake lever for my right hand. Lots of mile done riding two wheelers.
Number two would be a much more comfortable stock seat so an aftermarket one is not needed.
Three would be a hitch mounted to the frame instead of the swingarm to reduce shock to trailer.
Overall, quite nice, especially for two up pulling a small camper.

hrdware101
11-04-2019, 06:13 PM
The damn directional lights switch is driving me nuts! It's almost impossible to cancel without inadvertently moving the switch to indicate an opposite side blinker. Many times I have to take my eyes off the road and check to make sure the blinkers are cancelled. Very annoying!

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-04-2019, 06:19 PM
The damn directional lights switch is driving me nuts! It's almost impossible to cancel without inadvertently moving the switch to indicate an opposite side blinker. Many times I have to take my eyes off the road and check to make sure the blinkers are cancelled. Very annoying!

Or just wait out 30 seconds and some PO'd drivers, and they'll cancel automatically!

cruisinTX
11-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Or just wait out 30 seconds and some PO'd drivers, and they'll cancel automatically!

the only problem with that is someone waiting at an intersection might think you are turning (right) and pull out in front of you--not a good thing, eh?

JKMSPYDER
11-04-2019, 06:44 PM
I can do without the analog speedometer and tachometer on my F3. I only pay attention to the digital gauge. Also I would prefer the air valve to be on the right side of the rear tire.

Peter Aawen
11-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Try not 'moving' the switch back to centre when you want to cancel either direction indicator; instead, just press it IN - ie, forwards & into the switch cluster! It doesn't hafta be a hard press, just hasta be a 'straight in' press. Worked for me. :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-04-2019, 08:55 PM
the only problem with that is someone waiting at an intersection might think you are turning (right) and pull out in front of you--not a good thing, eh?

Valid point.

Blackrain047
11-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Hmmm....

1. What I don't like is the fact that the moment that I park her, I'm itching for another ride and can't wait till the next day to do it all over again.

2. All the money that I've spent on mods/upgrades to this fine piece of a machine that I said that I wouldn't. I'm frugal, but I love every bit of it! Lol

3. My 2 kiddos and wife wants to ride every time I do, so I wish that I could buy 2 side karts, throw wife on the back and we all hit the road at the same time! :ohyea:

pegasus1300
11-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Hmmm....

1. What I don't like is the fact that the moment that I park her, I'm itching for another ride and can't wait till the next day to do it all over again.

2. All the money that I've spent on mods/upgrades to this fine piece of a machine that I said that I wouldn't. I'm frugal, but I love every bit of it! Lol

3. My 2 kiddos and wife wants to ride every time I do, so I wish that I could buy 2 side karts, throw wife on the back and we all hit the road at the same time! :ohyea:

I guess one of your new farkels could be a second Spyder for the wife ,then you could each take a kid and all go. To paraphrase "the family that rides together stays together":ohyea::roflblack:

Bangorbob
11-05-2019, 12:03 PM
IdahoMtnSpyder,

Bill, I was stationed in Whidbey Island and road thru lots of country up there even in the cold rain. Love take the spyder up there and go thru that area again.

vondalyn
11-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Well, I ryde the Sierras almost every weekend! I can haul a*# down highway 49 between Coulterville and Mariposa ( aka” The Little Dragon” ) and keep up with sport bikes. We just did a ryde that took us Over Sonora Pass, Monitor Pass, and Ebbetts Pass and we took it HARD! Are those considered “curves”, where you come from? The Spyder is a very capable machine when the one with the handle bars learns how to RYDE it! Oh and this last summer we rode from Coeur d’Alene to Walla Walla through those same twisties you mentioned. The only modification I have is a $200.00 sway bar. And I rode from Nor Cal to Valcourt Quebec Canada before we put that on. So learn to ryde, just like you learned how to ride your Beamer, and you will start to be amazed. I would suggest that you take the 3 wheel class offered by BRP!

I was going to say something similar, but I think you covered it. It will take awhile to unlearn motorcycle habits and replace them with Spyder habits. Once you're really comfortable, you'll be able to drive the twisties just as fast or faster than most on 2 wheels. When we ride with our 2 wheeled friends, they usually have me lead because they don't want to hold me up in the twisties. Just rode with a neighbor for the first time a couple months back and he had me lead in the canyons when we got home he seemed at a loss for words about the spyder. "It must be because there's two wheels up front?". A day or two later his wife came by and told me that I was a badass. So I'm going to guess that the spyder surpassed his expectations in the twisties.

UtahPete
11-05-2019, 06:16 PM
There's nothing I don't like about the Spyder. The longer I have it and ride it, the more pleased I am with it. I've made many mods, but I do that with anything motorized.

fjray
11-08-2019, 09:25 AM
It's a good thing that there is a seat for every butt. I drank the koolaid and bought the RTL. Pounded lots of money into it to create comfort and handling . Took classes and gave it every opportunity to win our respect but in the end after 15k miles it just didn't measure up so now it lives in a neighbor's garage. For those that find bliss in the tricycle enjoy it but I will stick with two until I can't rIde and then get a convertible.

Bob204bc
11-08-2019, 10:25 AM
I seen posts about handling and some mentioning they can't keep up with "Ultras". In response to that I say Spyders are different need to learn to ride it within its own dynamic. This machine can be ridden at very fast pace on twisty roads and I have no trouble keeping up with any spirited ride full of BMW's and well ridden Harleys and have frequently left those Beemers in the dust on mountain passes. Here's the thing: A Spyder is not going to be graceful and smooth like a two wheeler. To go fast you will have to be willing to move around and use body english to make it turn. You will be amazed at how fast you can go. Just throw yourself to the inside of the turn and steer the hell out of it. It won't let you down. (Your passenger will not like it so I don't recommend you carry one when blowing down mountain roads.)

wyliec
11-08-2019, 10:28 AM
There's nothing I don't like about the Spyder. The longer I have it and ride it, the more pleased I am with it. I've made many mods, but I do that with anything motorized.

The more I rode the more I tired of it. I believe the tired part was gearing up all the time. After 10 years I traded it in for a new Jeep Wrangler, and pull the top panels for air and rain in my face. No gear required.

vondalyn
11-08-2019, 10:42 AM
(Your passenger will not like it so I don't recommend you carry one when blowing down mountain roads.)

HA! so true... precisely why I have replaced the back seat with storage.