View Full Version : Bullying

Cavman
10-19-2017, 03:17 PM
https://m.wimp.com/burger-kings-interesting-take-on-anti-bullying/

cmbspyderrss
10-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the share.

I'll get flamed sprayed but I think that bullying is BS and a product of how we raise our kids and ourselves.

That situation was no different years and years ago. You got picked on because basically everyone is different and those that chose to pop you in your pie hole for doing so or helping others who got picked on are the ones who succeeded then and now When is the last time you saw a real fight where people settled things like you were getting picked on? Heck, in HS I was 6ft and maybe 130 and was picked on/bullied daily. Got tired of it so Started working out summer 10th grade and by mid junior year was a clean 185. Only got picked on bullied by the chicks then. Grow a pair society already is my opinion.

UtahPete
10-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Outstanding quote from the clip; "If we cared as much about each other as we do about our food, the world might be a better place."

Substitute 'possessions, political and religious ideologies' for 'food' and it still makes a lot of sense to me.

bmccaffrey
10-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the share.

I'll get flamed sprayed but I think that bullying is BS and a product of how we raise our kids and ourselves.

That situation was no different years and years ago. You got picked on because basically everyone is different and those that chose to pop you in your pie hole for doing so or helping others who got picked on are the ones who succeeded then and now When is the last time you saw a real fight where people settled things like you were getting picked on? Heck, in HS I was 6ft and maybe 130 and was picked on/bullied daily. Got tired of it so Started working out summer 10th grade and by mid junior year was a clean 185. Only got picked on bullied by the chicks then. Grow a pair society already is my opinion.

Agree so whole heartily. There spoiled and coddled by there parents instead of sticking up for themselves.

BUNCH OF PUSSY'S

Peteoz
10-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the share.

.....and that’s another pet hate that seems more prevalent these days, CMB. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, (mine is along the same lines as yours) and everyone is entitled to express it, but so frequently these days you see people getting abused for having a differing opinion. Debate the issue, by all means, but don’t resort to name calling simply because someone doesn’t agree with your point of view.;)

Pete

UtahPete
10-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Definition of bullying :abuse and mistreatment of someone vulnerable by someone stronger, more powerful, etc.

Bullying is the abuse of power by one person over another; it's rampant in our culture. Harvey Weinstein is the perfect example, but there are many others on and off the playground.

bmccaffrey
10-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Happens because u let. Again take care of yourself

Such sick lame excuses

Lew L
10-19-2017, 08:52 PM
I thank God that my dad was a boxer in New York City in the early part or the 1900's.He taught me how to box, move, parry a punch, counter punch, punch in combinations----' all at the end of his left hook. It didn't take but twice for the bullies to leave me alone. Being a little guy of the wrong religion I was an easy target. Also started working out a lot at 11 years old and by high school went to wrestling and gymnastics for sports.

Bullies---- just fight back-- a punch or two to the nose will stop them cold.

Kaos

UtahPete
10-19-2017, 10:53 PM
I thank God that my dad was a boxer in New York City in the early part or the 1900's.He taught me how to box, move, parry a punch, counter punch, punch in combinations----' all at the end of his left hook. It didn't take but twice for the bullies to leave me alone. Being a little guy of the wrong religion I was an easy target. Also started working out a lot at 11 years old and by high school went to wrestling and gymnastics for sports. Bullies---- just fight back-- a punch or two to the nose will stop them cold. Kaos

My dad was a lightweight boxer in the British Army. Unfortunately by the time I came along he had 'found Jesus' and given up his old life (ballroom dancing, playing trumpet in a dance band, motorcycles) to 'follow the Lord'. He told me to turn the other cheek because that's what Jesus would want. So, I never learned at home to defend myself. I did learn in the Navy that bullies had other weaknesses that could be exploited if you were smart about it. I've never had to throw a punch and never had to take one either. We all have to do what we have to do to survive in the world.

ARtraveler
10-20-2017, 02:15 PM
IMO: Name calling is a sign of immaturity. Using it shows others that you either do not have a clue or a true answer to the subject matter at hand.

When one does not have an answer to the problem, discussion, etc. the subject gets relegated to name calling or a completely different answer than what the question asked.

We have also seen this many times and from some interesting people.

:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:

Peteoz
10-20-2017, 02:37 PM
IMO: Name calling is a sign of immaturity. Using it shows others that you either do not have a clue or a true answer to the subject matter at hand.

When one does not have an answer to the problem, discussion, etc. the subject gets relegated to name calling or a completely different answer than what the question asked.

We have also seen this many times and from some interesting people.

:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:

I’d be very surprised if we haven’t all “lost it” and done this at some time, AK. ;) I know I have:opps:

Pete

UtahPete
10-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Happens because u let. Again take care of yourself. Such sick lame excuses

There is always someone more powerful than you and if they choose to, they can make your life miserable in more ways than one. It has nothing to do with 'letting' bullying happen - it happens because the victim feels powerless to stop it from happening.

Look at the OP video; did that kid bring it on himself? Did he have the power to prevent it from happening?

Did the young actresses have the power to stop Weinstein's behavior? No, they only had the power to resist and walk away, knowing that it may be the end of their career.

The real cowards were the ones who had the opportunity to intervene and didn't.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Very educational commercial, point being if it doesn't effect 'YOU' or cost 'YOU' money people don't care. it takes not just adults
but other kids to make a difference in something like that.

ARtraveler
10-20-2017, 02:49 PM
I’d be very surprised if we haven’t all “lost it” and done this at some time, AK. ;) I know I have:opps:

Pete

:agree: x 2 :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
10-20-2017, 03:05 PM
:shocked: If anybody needs me... I'll be in my safe space: hugging my puppy, and drinking hot cocoa! 154817

retread
10-20-2017, 03:16 PM
I was bullied most of the way through elementary school, having been taught that it wasn't "nice" to fight. The summer I spent working with my uncle (a (UDT trainer during WW2) plus a growth spurt, 5'3" to 6'1", kinda took care of that.

john

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Apparently, you don't understand what bullying can entail. Or, you don't care. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former. So, here's a little lesson ......

From your spelling and grammar, I would guess that you spent more time in the schoolyard than the classroom. Let me correct your statement for you, since you seem incapable of doing so yourself;

"Agree so wholeheartedly. They're spoiled and coddled by their parents instead of sticking up for themselves. Bunch of pussies."

You're an uneducated dolt, aren't you? I don't know how an idiot like you can even function in modern society.

There you go. You have just been bullied - how does that feel? The only way you can stick up for yourself is by punching back with a powerful, well-reasoned, grammatically-correct defense devoid of misspellings that will put me in my place, intellectually-speaking. Can't do it? Are you a (British word for domestic cat)?
laying it on a little heavy aren't you?

UtahPete
10-20-2017, 05:04 PM
laying it on a little heavy aren't you?

I removed it. Thanks.

Bob Denman
10-20-2017, 05:24 PM
:D C'mon... tell the truth: Did he bully you into removing it? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

UtahPete
10-20-2017, 05:49 PM
:D C'mon... tell the truth: Did he bully you into removing it? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Pretty funny. No - he appealed to my better self. Didn't know I had one, did you? ;)

Bob Denman
10-20-2017, 06:01 PM
:shocked: This may end up yielding some entirely new theories about human development... :clap: :2thumbs:

:joke::joke::joke:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Very educational commercial, point being if it doesn't effect 'YOU' or cost 'YOU' money people don't care. it takes not just adults
but other kids to make a difference in something like that.
Very valid comment, I would say. But when someone who is not directly affected does take a stand on an issue, they often face repercussions, right? Oops, did I just say what I think I said? Seems like that has been the center of discussion elsewhere here recently. :)

UtahPete
10-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Very valid comment, I would say. But when someone who is not directly affected does take a stand on an issue, they often face repercussions, right? Oops, did I just say what I think I said? Seems like that has been the center of discussion elsewhere here recently. :)

That to me is the definition of courage - to act selflessly, realizing that no good deed goes unpunished.

Peteoz
10-20-2017, 06:50 PM
I removed it. Thanks.

You didn’t quite remove it, Pete ;).......it’s been quoted elsewhere:D

Pete

JerryB
10-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Hi Idaho,

Re: But when someone who is not directly affected does take a stand on an issue, they often face repercussions, right?

Earlier this summer, three people stepped up to help a couple of young women on our lightrail system here in Portland, Oregon. Two of them were killed by the bully and a third was seriously injured.

It's terrible that it happened but sometimes one just has to do the right thing.

Jerry Baumchen

ARtraveler
10-20-2017, 08:23 PM
:shocked: If anybody needs me... I'll be in my safe space: hugging my puppy, and drinking hot cocoa! 154817

Now why didn't I think of that? Should I have a peppermint patty, a blackberry brandy, or one of each. No dog, but I will give the princess her usual cuddle.

wyliec
10-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Now why didn't I think of that? Should I have a peppermint patty, a blackberry brandy, or one of each. No dog, but I will give the princess her usual cuddle.

Peppermint patties, doesn’t get any better than that.

cmbspyderrss
10-20-2017, 09:45 PM
It has been written by a few above and all were correct no matter how it was written.

As stated, my belief is that first it comes from the Parents teaching their kids to think about the situation, read body language and make a decision. The decision may be right or wrong not knowing the entire facts or fully understanding what is really happening but the fact that you made a decision in which 90% of the populous won't. You simply can't learn if you just sit there.

Being picked on / bullied or whatever you term it comes at the earliest stages of life because children have no real understanding of right or wrong. Kids should by being taught start the deescalation of the bullying. Numbers count and if one starts it then the others will follow because there is usually only one JA leading the heard. As parents whether it is your child or not should/need to step in if it can't be resolved by the kids trying to deescalate the situation. Whether you are a Kid or an adult we all learn by doing and observing.

Change will come in the term of the "Snowball" effect. The first time a teacher, parent, adult, kid, coworker, brother, sister or the like stands tall and makes the bully regret s/he was being a DS is the last time you will hear about someone be "Bullied".

UtahPete
10-20-2017, 10:55 PM
It has been written by a few above and all were correct no matter how it was written.

As stated, my belief is that first it comes from the Parents teaching their kids to think about the situation, read body language and make a decision. The decision may be right or wrong not knowing the entire facts or fully understanding what is really happening but the fact that you made a decision in which 90% of the populous won't. You simply can't learn if you just sit there.

Being picked on / bullied or whatever you term it comes at the earliest stages of life because children have no real understanding of right or wrong. Kids should by being taught start the deescalation of the bullying. Numbers count and if one starts it then the others will follow because there is usually only one JA leading the heard. As parents whether it is your child or not should/need to step in if it can't be resolved by the kids trying to deescalate the situation. Whether you are a Kid or an adult we all learn by doing and observing.

Change will come in the term of the "Snowball" effect. The first time a teacher, parent, adult, kid, coworker, brother, sister or the like stands tall and makes the bully regret s/he was being a DS is the last time you will hear about someone be "Bullied".

That's all well and good, but it doesn't solve the problem for the bully's victim(s), does it? When any of us see bullying happening, we as responsible citizens, need to step in and protect the victim. When that happens consistently, then the damaging effects of bullying will be mitigated. Just wishing for better parents isn't going to solve anything.

Bob Denman
10-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Peppermint party?
That reminded me of something I just heard:
Peppermint oil is a fantastic mouse, chipmunk, and bug repellant... :2thumbs:
(Since it's getting close to storage time, for some riders.)

MRH
10-22-2017, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN;1310634]laying it on a little heavy aren't you?

(Referring to Utah Pete's post:

Apparently, you don't understand what bullying can entail. Or, you don't care. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former. So, here's a little lesson ......

From your spelling and grammar, I would guess that you spent more time in the schoolyard than the classroom. Let me correct your statement for you, since you seem incapable of doing so yourself;

"Agree so wholeheartedly. They're spoiled and coddled by their parents instead of sticking up for themselves. Bunch of pussies."

You're an uneducated dolt, aren't you? I don't know how an idiot like you can even function in modern society.)

No, he wasn't laying it on heavy at all - any small amount of embarrassment felt here is slight in comparison to what a kid who goes to school in fear of physical assault every day would feel, and they don't have the option to simply leave the board to to ignore a member.

If you are really bothered by this, then how would you cope, as a CHILD, with the daily (and very real) fear of being physically assaulted by multiple people, all of which are larger than you are? Were your wife (or husband), attacked on their way home from work, I can't imagine that you would suggest they simply learn karate to defend themselves, or not be upset when the punishment was that the perpetrators simply had to spend a few days off of work (with pay).

Assuming you can see my case that physical assault really isn't ok, then perhaps you can imagine your spouse being subjected to constant insults, teasing, and other harassment at work, and coming home miserable every day (without the option to simply get another job, or to have no job at all).

There is nothing wrong with people being made to feel uncomfortable because they are being challenged, we've wimped out on the category, and that's a very bad thing. We don't even have to be nice to each other, but there is a place to draw a line at permitting assault or allowing children (or those in power) over us to use words for the sole purpose of destruction. Yes, I believe in free speech as a citizen of this country, but I also believe that those of us who are adults should draw lines about what is civilly permitted in those places under which we have domain.

For anybody here who can imagine getting a finger from a guy on a Harley because our bikes aren't quite as cool (and they really aren't, just face it), then try to imagine what it might be like to experience that every time you ride, and every time you pass another motorcyclist, and then add the very real possibility that they periodically group up, and beat the living **** out of you just because they don't like your bike. (And, not you can't just stop riding or trade in your bike.)

Oh, and it isn't you that's happening to, it's your kid, your wife, your mother, or somebody else that you really love.

"Laying in on heavy", with a few notes about grammar and calling you a dolt, you're complaining about the threat of a stubbed toe to a guy in a foxhole under active fire - his post didn't even touch on what it really feels like to be bullied, and look how quickly you complained about it!

Bob Denman
10-22-2017, 11:56 AM
So what's the alternative? :dontknow:

2dogs
10-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Maybe because of genetics or some other reason, I've never responded well to being bullied or having any of my family or friends bullied. I don't even respond well to being in the presents of someone else being bullied. After being unable to solve the immediate bullying issue by simply walking away and ignore the bullying, the problems then begin. As a result on occasions over my life time I've suffered both physically and financially, but I've never gone to jail.

UtahPete
10-22-2017, 12:49 PM
So what's the alternative? :dontknow: 154844154844154844

I think we start by acknowledging it is happening in all walks of life and in many forms. It is a problem in our society and to minimize it, deny it, excuse it or blame the victim just makes things worse. That's what brought out my fighting spirit in this thread, is the many suggestions that, if bullying happens, it's up to the victim to defend themselves. That is just plain wrong and can't be allowed to go unchallenged.

Bob Denman
10-22-2017, 05:05 PM
There's Bullying, and then there's bullying...
There's also a HUGE "victim mentality" out there; it drives me nuts! :gaah:
Are you being "Cyber-Bullies"?
:lecturef_smilie: Turn off your damn computer! Go outside, and find the sumbitch. Then: smack the idiot in the mouth!
End of problem.

UtahPete
10-22-2017, 05:21 PM
There's Bullying, and then there's bullying... There's also a HUGE "victim mentality" out there; it drives me nuts! :gaah: Are you being "Cyber-Bullies"? :lecturef_smilie: Turn off your damn computer! Go outside, and find the sumbitch. Then: smack the idiot in the mouth! End of problem.

We're not all that macho, Bob. And, I don't think that would have worked for the women who have been and are still being bullied in the workplace by men, or for the child in the video posted by the OP.

UtahPete
10-22-2017, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=MRH;1311023] From one idiot to another ADULT NOT DOLT

Nope, dolt.

www.dictionary.com/browse/dolt

Dolt definition, a dull, stupid person; blockhead.

bmccaffrey
10-22-2017, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=MRH;1311023][QUOTE=SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN;1310634]laying it on a little heavy aren't you?

(Referring to Utah Pete's post:

You're an uneducated dolt, aren't you? I don't know how an idiot like you can even function in modern society.)

No, he wasn't laying it on heavy at all - any small amount of embarrassment felt here is slight in comparison to what a kid who goes to school in fear of physical assault every day would feel, and they don't have the option to simply leave the board to to ignore a member.

If you are really bothered by this, then how would you cope, as a CHILD, with the daily (and very real) fear of being physically assaulted by multiple people, all of which are larger than you are? Were your wife (or husband), attacked on their way home from work, I can't imagine that you would suggest they simply learn karate to defend themselves, or not be upset when the punishment was that the perpetrators simply had to spend a few days off of work (with pay).

Assuming you can see my case that physical assault really isn't ok, then perhaps you can imagine your spouse being subjected to constant insults, teasing, and other harassment at work, and coming home miserable every day (without the option to simply get another job, or to have no job at all).

There is nothing wrong with people being made to feel uncomfortable because they are being challenged, we've wimped out on the category, and that's a very bad thing. We don't even have to be nice to each other, but there is a place to draw a line at permitting assault or allowing children (or those in power) over us to use words for the sole purpose of destruction. Yes, I believe in free speech as a citizen of this country, but I also believe that those of us who are adults should draw lines about what is civilly permitted in those places under which we have domain.

For anybody here who can imagine getting a finger from a guy on a Harley because our bikes aren't quite as cool (and they really aren't, just face it), then try to imagine what it might be like to experience that every time you ride, and every time you pass another motorcyclist, and then add the very real possibility that they periodically group up, and beat the living **** out of you just because they don't like your bike. (And, not you can't just stop riding or trade in your bike.)

Oh, and it isn't you that's happening to, it's your kid, your wife, your mother, or somebody else that you really love.

"Laying in on heavy", with a few notes about grammar and calling you a dolt, you're complaining about the threat of a stubbed toe to a guy in a foxhole under active fire - his post didn't even touch on what it really feels like to be bullied, and look how quickly you complained about it!

[/QUOTe

Thanks for your grammar lesson. Thanks for your service . I spent my 6 yrs in the military. Thanks for the idiot comment to:roflblack::roflblack:

UtahPete
10-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your grammar lesson. Thanks for your service . I spent my 6 yrs in the military. Thanks for the idiot comment to:roflblack::roflblack:

You're welcome. Thank you for your service; I spent 10 years, after which I got an advanced (6 year) education. Not that any of this is relevant.

bmccaffrey
10-22-2017, 07:30 PM
You're welcome. Thank you for your service; I spent 10 years, after which I got an advanced (6 year) education. Not that any of this is relevant.

At least we agree on something which is good. All my school of hard knocks put me in a position of general manager. Which i will be retiring shortly.

Maybe we will meet someday:2thumbs:

wyliec
10-22-2017, 08:09 PM

Sounds like you two should be sitting around a camp fire, and break out into rendition of kumbaya.

bmccaffrey
10-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you two should be sitting around a camp fire, and break out into rendition of kumbaya.

Would love that. Email and texting is for cowards

UtahPete
10-22-2017, 09:03 PM
At least we agree on something which is good. All my school of hard knocks put me in a position of general manager. Which i will be retiring shortly. Maybe we will meet someday:2thumbs:

That would be good. nojoke

Bob Denman
10-23-2017, 07:04 AM
We're not all that macho, Bob. And, I don't think that would have worked for the women who have been and are still being bullied in the workplace by men, or for the child in the video posted by the OP.
I'm not macho at all... I'm actually pretty mild-mannered. :D
But I was never afraid to stand up for myself. Sometimes I took the beating: sometimes I gave it...

...But the bullies of my Town knew where the line in the sand was... few crossed it.

UtahPete
10-23-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm not macho at all... I'm actually pretty mild-mannered. :D But I was never afraid to stand up for myself. Sometimes I took the beating: sometimes I gave it...But the bullies of my Town knew where the line in the sand was... few crossed it.

I understand. But that doesn't work for everyone.

Bob Denman
10-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Bullies are just thieves: they rob you of your dignity.
Like thieves: they're also lazy.
If you are too much trouble for them to deal with: they'll move on...
Standing up against them is always the best course of action.

UtahPete
10-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Peppermint party? That reminded me of something I just heard: Peppermint oil is a fantastic mouse, chipmunk, and bug repellant...(Since it's getting close to storage time, for some riders.)

He said 'patty', you thought 'party' ... where's your mind at, Bob?

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-23-2017, 03:36 PM
bully's aren't always wimps. they may be mentally weak but they may be physically strong & can still beat the crap
out of a single individual that stands up to them. i remember mcgruff says you should confront the bully in a group
and just stand with the one being bullied, no need to fight.

UtahPete
10-23-2017, 04:31 PM
This just in:

...In addition to classroom participation, Mrs. Trump will visit with 7th and 8th grade students in the school's cafeteria in an effort to bring awareness to “No One Eats Alone,” a concept that seeks to reverse the trends of social isolation by asking students to engage in simple acts of kindness — such as making sure that no one is eating alone and students are making an effort to eat with new classmates and peers.
“As part of my ongoing commitment to the overall well-being of children, I am looking forward to today’s visit,” stated First Lady Melania Trump. “By our own example, we must teach children to be good stewards of the world they will inherit. We need to remember that they are always watching and listening. It is our responsibility to take the lead in teaching children the values of empathy and communication that are at the core of kindness, mindfulness, integrity, and leadership.”

Bob Denman
10-23-2017, 04:57 PM
He said 'patty', you thought 'party' ... where's your mind at, Bob?

:D By now: you should know... :yes::dg2::riding::dg1::cheers::ohyea:

But I will blame the poor vision anyway! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-23-2017, 04:58 PM
bully's aren't always wimps. they may be mentally weak but they may be physically strong & can still beat the crap
out of a single individual that stands up to them. i remember mcgruff says you should confront the bully in a group
and just stand with the one being bullied, no need to fight.
I always found that if you take the beating, but "give as good as you got": they actually can appreciate the effort... nojoke

wyliec
10-23-2017, 05:24 PM
That's all well and good, but it doesn't solve the problem for the bully's victim(s), does it? When any of us see bullying happening, we as responsible citizens, need to step in and protect the victim. When that happens consistently, then the damaging effects of bullying will be mitigated. Just wishing for better parents isn't going to solve anything.

You need to check with the Oval Office on that one.

UtahPete
10-23-2017, 06:02 PM
You need to check with the Oval Office on that one.

You can check with them. Leave me out of it. I'm a tweet-o-phobe.

wyliec
10-23-2017, 06:23 PM
You can check with them. Leave me out of it. I'm a tweet-o-phobe.

Do you bully, and bellow on your tweets?