PDA

View Full Version : The End is Near

ARtraveler
10-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Woke up to black ice on my road and 20 degree temps. It's getting to be about time for me to park em for the season. Last year--it was 10/21. Will let you know when its "official" here. Linda is done for the year--to darn cold. :yes::yes:

Anyone else???????

tomand
10-18-2017, 04:40 PM
going strong in Nevada...course we don't have your weather. time for you to get your dog sled out.

HIspyder
10-18-2017, 04:45 PM
All good in the 50th state. Come down and visit anytime. :D

HankD
10-18-2017, 04:53 PM
I just ordered a one-piece winter riding suit. I ain't gonna let no Alabama cold weather hinder my fun!! :yes::clap:

Motorcycledave
10-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Woke up to black ice on my road and 20 degree temps. It's getting to be about time for me to park em for the season. Last year--it was 10/21. Will let you know when its "official" here. Linda is done for the year--to darn cold. :yes::yes:

Anyone else???????

F650624
10-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Think Gerbings! I may have to shift from my mesh riding jacket to my Firstgear Kilamanjaro soon. But then I will have to leave the vents open :) Heading to the "Spyders in the Hills Rally" in the morning.

easysuper
10-18-2017, 05:15 PM
We will ride all winter long except in the snow or ice, Heated gear and good rain gear.

BoilerAnimal
10-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Just got back from a 70 mile ride with my wife. High of 72° with a 20 MPH wind. Not ready to call it quits yet. I rode about 6 times last winter.........hoping for more this winter. If it gets above 45° it's riding weather!

Purple Guy
10-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Still no snow here.
As long as there's no cover on the grass there won't be no cover on the Spyder!!! :thumbup:

Lew L
10-18-2017, 06:05 PM
The ski resort that is less than 15 minutes drive time from my house says that they will have some runs open on OCT 27. Last year they had over 63 FEET of snow fall in 5 months.nojoke Nights are getting cold (20's ) at my house at 5,800 ft

ARtraveler
10-18-2017, 06:11 PM

January is my usual time for a HI visit. :yes: Don't think I will make it this year though.

UtahPete
10-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Jane and I just got back from a spontaneous ryde through back roads near us. The weather is glorious. But, it hasn't been that way for 2 weeks now; we had snow and day-time temps hovering in the low 40's and the local Spyder club had to cancel two planned rydes. We know the nice weather isn't going to last much longer and we plan on moving south mid-November. We don't do snowmobiles....

ARtraveler
10-18-2017, 06:14 PM
I just ordered a one-piece winter riding suit. I ain't gonna let no Alabama cold weather hinder my fun!! :yes::clap:

Arkansas may be in my future. Going to see what the next six months bring my way. :yes:

Deanna777
10-18-2017, 06:46 PM

Anyone else???????My riding season will end this Saturday 21st, :yikes: :gaah: . Last year I put spyder into hibernation a week earlier. I'll post when spyder goes officially into hibernation, stay tuned!

We have had temps in the 30's in the earlier mornings, but the day time temps in the 60's 70's. I am working.

Deanna

ARtraveler
10-18-2017, 06:51 PM
My riding season will end this Saturday 21st, :yikes: :gaah: . Last year I put spyder into hibernation a week earlier. I'll post when spyder goes officially into hibernation, stay tuned!

We have had temps in the 30's in the earlier mornings, but the day time temps in the 60's 70's. I am working.

Deanna

Our night time temps are now teens. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :yes:

Papahoosh
10-18-2017, 06:53 PM
All is good in Florida, the weather stated to get cool a little.
Sorry about your temperature up there.

Deanna777
10-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Our night time temps are now teens. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :yes::agree: brrrrrrrrrrr. But I am going to try a different sport this winter this year, stay tuned! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Deanna

DGoebel
10-18-2017, 07:07 PM
70 - 75 here in "Southern" Minnesota, beautiful days while I'm working indoors...drat, down to 65 this weekend...<G> Still gonna ride.

Peteoz
10-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Anyone else???????

Sorry to hear that, AK. We are so lucky out here being able to ride all year round.

Pete

mark4Jesus
10-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Here in SE Tennesse, the lows are in the upper 40's and highs around 70, beautiful! I don't have as much wind protection on my Spyder as I did on my Victory Cross Country Tour, so I have ordered some insulated riding pants. I'll ride as long as there is no ice and the highs get into the 40's. I didn't put the Vic up for the winter last season and don't expect to put the Spyder up this season.

Mazo EMS2
10-18-2017, 08:12 PM
We park it when the first salt/brine hits the roads here in southern WI. I don't want that grime all over the underside.

OKey
10-18-2017, 08:43 PM
aaawwwwwww don't tell me it's almost here. I refuse to believe. My first season with a Spyder has been fantastic. Please don't get cold.

Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold.
Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold.
Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold. Please don't get cold.
:pray::chat::pray:

canamjhb
10-18-2017, 08:55 PM
Our riding season is just beginning here in Arid-Zone-A. Went for a lunch ride today with a couple of friends. Our riding protection is sunscreen. Close to 100 degrees today. Did some mountain twisties and some slow sweepers and all is good. Looking forward to a long winter of riding with good friends.

Mr. White
10-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Spyders in the Hills rally in Boerne, TX. starts tomorrow. 175 Spyders expected. Low 50, high 85 but a little cooler in the hills.

:spyder2:

Chupaca
10-18-2017, 09:13 PM
This would be the subject...:banghead: sorry to hear that Just cleaned the Jag up after a ryde through a forest fire. Was a cool refreshing ryde up in the hills till I hit the fire zone...But we too suffer the cold here....have to stick closer to the coast :sour:

Samson
10-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Getting chilly here, about 84 today.

Tulefog
10-18-2017, 10:48 PM
This is the third weekend in a row I will miss ryding and football to help my son remodel his bathroom. I'm tempted to dig a pit in his backyard, put a refrigerator box over it and call it good.

Spiceman64
10-18-2017, 11:04 PM
I dont think I’m going to put my spyder up ever, here in vegas. Cloudy (a rarity) and mid 80s for the high.

d.o.spyder-rts
10-19-2017, 12:10 AM
You can always become a "snowbird" and come to Florida for the winter months-just remember to bring the spyder:D Dale

ARtraveler
10-19-2017, 01:54 AM
I dont think I’m going to put my spyder up ever, here in vegas. Cloudy (a rarity) and mid 80s for the high.

Was there in December about three years ago. It was cold and there was about six inches of snow on the ground in Zion Park.

Buckeye Bleau
10-19-2017, 03:40 AM
Our riding season is just beginning here in Arid-Zone-A. Went for a lunch ride today with a couple of friends. Our riding protection is sunscreen. Close to 100 degrees today. Did some mountain twisties and some slow sweepers and all is good. Looking forward to a long winter of riding with good friends.

Oh oh for goodness sakes, SHUT UP!

Joe

PistonBlown
10-19-2017, 03:59 AM
Answer is you need to pop down to the Southern Hemisphere for a few months. It's Spring here, daffodils have done their dash, the snows retreating from the closest mountains and we've just gone to daylight saving..

Bob Denman
10-19-2017, 06:48 AM

mark4Jesus
10-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Answer is you need to pop down to the Southern Hemisphere for a few months. It's Spring here, daffodils have done their dash, the snows retreating from the closest mountains and we've just gone to daylight saving..

Hmmmmm....wonder how much it would cost to get my Spyder there?

Bob Denman
10-19-2017, 08:50 AM
:D It doesn't matter: it'd be worth it! :2thumbs:

Fatcycledaddy
10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Got out the First Gear headed clothing and tried it out. Waiting until next weekend do do a color tour here in MI. Last color tour we rode in some 20 degree waether in the mornings and the heated gear from Bajaron worked flawlessly!! Great stuff, great price!!

HankD
10-19-2017, 09:30 AM
I quit smoking about 10 days ago. I have to keep ryding thru the Winter or I'm gonna chew my own arm off!! :yikes::yikes::gaah:

Big F
10-19-2017, 09:33 AM
The co-founder of NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) and myself plan on a ride today. the temps are supposed to be in the upper 70's (40 something now)... Might be one of our last decent rides for the year??
BIG F

Lew L
10-19-2017, 11:35 AM
I quit smoking about 10 days ago. I have to keep ryding thru the Winter or I'm gonna chew my own arm off!! :yikes::yikes::gaah:

Hang in there Hank----------

Quitting that dis-gusting habit was one of the best things I've done in the past 20+ YEARS. I tried 6 times and finally did it. Just don't give up. If you are really ready to quit----- you can do it. Get support from people around you ( non-smokers of course) . Local heath care providers, wife and kids can help. Mints and exercise help also. Find a friend or get a quitting buddy---- make a big bet.

Think of all the advantages:

Money in your pocket, taking a real deep breath, skiing the mountain from top to bottom with out stopping 4 times, no more smelly car, clothes or breath, ***** better gums ******. Oh, did I mention the big C.:yikes:

But---- You may loose some contact with people who still smoke cigs as you won't want to be around them.

ARtraveler
10-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Hang in there Hank----------

Quitting that dis-gusting habit was one of the best things I've done in the past 20+ YEARS. I tried 6 times and finally did it. Just don't give up. If you are really ready to quit----- you can do it. Get support from people around you ( non-smokers of course) . Local heath care providers, wife and kids can help. Mints and exercise help also. Find a friend or get a quitting buddy---- make a big bet.

Think of all the advantages:

Money in your pocket, taking a real deep breath, skiing the mountain from top to bottom with out stopping 4 times, no more smelly car, clothes or breath, ***** better gums ******. Oh, did I mention the big C.:yikes:

But---- You may loose some contact with people who still smoke cigs as you won't want to be around them.

Bingo, bingo on cigars after 20 years or so. Last one 10/30/10. Never looked back. A real money pit for me--I liked the $5.00 and up per stick versions.

Netminder
10-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Rode last night here in the Laurentians in the beautiful province ( home of the Spyder) Quebec. It was a warm day, hoping there will be a couple of more, but it is getting near the end! :doorag::thumbup:

BoilerAnimal
10-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Quiting smoking is one thing you will NEVER REGRET!!!

I quit smoking on 4/3/92. Over 25 years ago and thousands of dollars saved!!!

It wasn't easy and took four attempts before I was successful. Trust me, it will be well worth the effort. And yes it will be an effort but after about a month or so it will become easier and easier. Your body will show it's appreciation, along with your family.

Kaos and akspyderman are absolutely correct with their comments.

Good luck, Bob.

HankD
10-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Quiting smoking is one thing you will NEVER REGRET!!!

I quit smoking on 4/3/92. Over 25 years ago and thousands of dollars saved!!!

It wasn't easy and took four attempts before I was successful. Trust me, it will be well worth the effort. And yes it will be an effort but after about a month or so it will become easier and easier. Your body will show it's appreciation, along with your family.

Kaos and akspyderman are absolutely correct with their comments.

Good luck, Bob.

Thanks all. I asked my 16 y/o daughter what she wanted for Christmas...and this was it. So, there is a little extra motivation behind it. ;)

BajaRon
10-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Where is that Global Warming when you need it!!! :banghead:

https://img2.jpegbay.com/gallery/006550708/1_f.jpg?3775

ARtraveler
10-19-2017, 12:43 PM
RE: Global Warming

The ice is melting more every year north of AK in the Northwest Passage. Polar bears are affected. The walrus population has adapted.

The glaciers are melting back--all over. I have seen this happening the almost 20 years I have lived in AK. Glacier National Park, Montana. Four drive to glaciers in AK. Matanuska Glacier, Knik Glacier, Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier in Seward.

Droughts in the western US.

I am leaning in favor that global warming is real.

But...lets not start a big discussion in this thread. :bowdown::bowdown:

Retired 2012
10-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear that. we have been hoping for cooler weather here, last few days have been in the mid to high 90’s. Down in the 80’s today and tomorrow, then the heat comes back for the weekend. Been windy here this year too. Wishing you all good riding weather, from Temecula, California.

CA Railwhale
10-19-2017, 01:00 PM

Anyone else???????

That's the nice thing here, we are coming out of the heat into the best time of the year for riding. Consistent sixties to seventies and no marine layer clouds to make the skies gray. During the summer months I tend to stay right on the coast to dodge the hundred degree heat inland.

CA Railwhale
10-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Oh oh for goodness sakes, SHUT UP!

Joe

I was born and partially raised in Cincinatti. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Ohio; cold and dank in the winter and hot and humid in the summer.

MikeT
10-19-2017, 03:14 PM
I still remember "getting out of Dodge" early from Spyderfest to avoid the weekend monsoons and flooding in the area that followed. This week's weather has been Indian Summer like. The mid-to-upper 70s will hold through Saturday. Next week the highs will only get to the 50s. Not taking any chances. I'm taking my Spyder to my dealer for its annual service on Saturday before getting it ready for its long winter's nap.

ARtraveler
10-19-2017, 05:57 PM
I still remember "getting out of Dodge" early from Spyderfest to avoid the weekend monsoons and flooding in the area that followed. This week's weather has been Indian Summer like. The mid-to-upper 70s will hold through Saturday. Next week the highs will only get to the 50s. Not taking any chances. I'm taking my Spyder to my dealer for its annual service on Saturday before getting it ready for its long winter's nap.

Yup! The season does pass by fast. And I am one of the earliest/latest riders up here. :yes:

Saluda
10-19-2017, 08:29 PM
but the Spyder is in the shop. That's a first for me. I'm told they had to order parts. Missing the riding.

Wildrice
10-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Approx 68 degrees in the afternoon today--same or higher predicted for the weekend. Jet stream controls our weather. I grew up in a Green Bay area farm. I remember the old nylon rayon tires would flat spot over night--initial ride was up & down until I turned & the flat spots got out of sequence & it was rock-roll & twist time. After the US Army & 3 yrs in NJ with IBM I moved to Calif for 22 yrs. After having a successful business in S. Calif I moved to Laguna Beach, CA on a street named LaVista (for the 180 degree ocean view). 12 houses on this street--every home had an as*hole for a neighbor I'll take this weird cold weather & neighbors over the floods & fires anytime.
Darrell

JOEMOTO
04-05-2018, 10:41 PM

Hispyder,
below is recent thread i started... who works on your machine..im on oahu... any problems---?? thank you for the insight.

Hello Everyone,

I am purchasing a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited SE5 with 2000 miles on it....very clean.. has had a gently life up to this point. After reading forum entries for a few weeks, I have questions as to the reliability of this machine. I have no dealer close, living in Hawaii. Yea..... sounds great... year round riding, beautiful Hawaii……the downside of Hawaii? Cam am told me to ship it to California to preform heat issue recall… my serial number is one of the lucky ones. No dealer means no computer diagnostics locally. Can am will not allow a local licensed motorcycle dealers to perform. I half agree… liability is the issue today… for everything, but a qualified shop should be able to assist. Not worried about changing tires, oils, all routine maintenance. I have 47 years riding motocross..and crashing, plus 135,000 miles on the street, no crashes. This spans Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasaki’s…. all of them used to the max, with no problems. So reading about the RT--- and having no dealer to reset the error codes…that may be valid or just loose bat terminals---I question if they have the quality of above mentioned work horses. So a few questions asking about everyone’s experiences.

1)BUDS software sold online—amazon sells it--- that makes it legal..right..? If I purchase it, and learn how to use it, I can address computer codes and troubleshoot and reset? Below is what is listed on Amazon…..BRP BUDS / BUDS2 MPI-3 Diagnostic Scanner 4TEC/ETEC for SEADOO SKIDOO CANAM LYNX2) Is there a way to get recall parts/ECU data to perform the heat recall?3) The RT is in the same class as a Goldwing—sofa with wheels. But how does its quality and reliability compare?I appreciate all comments. I understand, this machine may never even have one hiccup… my hope. Or it maybe a maintenance nightmare….. But want to know what she’s like before we get married.And..your all welcome to bring your Spyders over and ride---any day--- summer year round you know……. Thank you very much!!Joemoto

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Hispyder,
below is recent thread i started... who works on your machine..im on oahu... any problems---?? thank you for the insight.

Hello Everyone,

I am purchasing a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited SE5 with 2000 miles on it....very clean.. has had a gently life up to this point. After reading forum entries for a few weeks, I have questions as to the reliability of this machine. I have no dealer close, living in Hawaii. Yea..... sounds great... year round riding, beautiful Hawaii……the downside of Hawaii? Cam am told me to ship it to California to preform heat issue recall… my serial number is one of the lucky ones. No dealer means no computer diagnostics locally. Can am will not allow a local licensed motorcycle dealers to perform. I half agree… liability is the issue today… for everything, but a qualified shop should be able to assist. Not worried about changing tires, oils, all routine maintenance. I have 47 years riding motocross..and crashing, plus 135,000 miles on the street, no crashes. This spans Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasaki’s…. all of them used to the max, with no problems. So reading about the RT--- and having no dealer to reset the error codes…that may be valid or just loose bat terminals---I question if they have the quality of above mentioned work horses. So a few questions asking about everyone’s experiences.

1)BUDS software sold online—amazon sells it--- that makes it legal..right..? If I purchase it, and learn how to use it, I can address computer codes and troubleshoot and reset? Below is what is listed on Amazon…..

BRP BUDS / BUDS2 MPI-3 Diagnostic Scanner 4TEC/ETEC for SEADOO SKIDOO CANAM LYNX

2) Is there a way to get recall parts/ECU data to perform the heat recall?

3) The RT is in the same class as a Goldwing—sofa with wheels. But how does its quality and reliability compare?

I appreciate all comments. I understand, this machine may never even have one hiccup… my hope. Or it maybe a maintenance nightmare….. But want to know what she’s like before we get married.

And..your all welcome to bring your Spyders over and ride---any day--- summer year round you know…….

Thank you very much!!

Joemoto

:congrats:...:welcome: since you are new to the Spyder. You will learn that almost every procedure that BRP says must be done or else isn't always so .... A lot of what BRP states must be done and checked and/or adjusted via BUDS is mostly CYA from the BRP lawyers...... They ( BRP ) know what the truth is, but aren't likely to share that info .... Now don't mis-understand me ..... I have owned three different Spyders and loved each and every one of them.....But to me Truth rules ..... You have the V-twin and might believe you will need to have the Valves checked at 14,000 (?) miles ( costing $ 600 to $ 800 )...... This has proven to not be true ..... 1000,s of Spyders have gone 75 to 100,000 miles with out them being adjusted..... I firmly believe a lot of Spyders that were brought to dealers to have them checked ..... were NEVER even looked at because the dealers know they 99.99% of them won't need an adjustment ...... if you still have the Kenda tires when they wear out get some Auto tires in the appropriate sizes and run them at 15psi front and 18 psi rear for best performance ....... And we are here to assist your enjoyment so ask questions ....lots of answers here ......good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

MR. H1956
04-06-2018, 02:59 PM
This would be the subject...:banghead: sorry to hear that Just cleaned the Jag up after a ryde through a forest fire. Was a cool refreshing ryde up in the hills till I hit the fire zone...But we too suffer the cold here....have to stick closer to the coast :sour:
That's just so not right. Rub it in ok.

Deanna777
04-06-2018, 03:05 PM
We have snow on the ground and it is April 6th. :gaah::gaah: Hurry up Spring!

Deanna

Netminder
04-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Still a ton on the ground here in the Laurentians of Quebec. We are usually a month behind the nearby cities, and it is snowing like crazy today. So we may not see riding until the beginning of May!!!:gaah::gaah:

Deanna777
04-07-2018, 05:54 PM
I'll be riding next week-end, the temps in the 50's WOHOOOOO!!!!

Deanna

AY4B
04-08-2018, 03:05 AM
Here in the Dallas area it did not get above 37 all day with a stiff north wind. I stayed in the cage for another day. Brrrr.

youngers
04-08-2018, 06:22 AM
like all of you , the temps are getting better ---- today - should be 55 high ( if we push it ) next week ( Monday high 50`s --- Tuesday low 60`s as for Wednesday ---- Thursday -----> 70` degress bayyyyy beeee ) :banghead: ohhhhh man ------ work gets in the way :roflblack: always something

al0vely
04-08-2018, 07:28 AM
like all of you , the temps are getting better ---- today - should be 55 high ( if we push it ) next week ( Monday high 50`s --- Tuesday low 60`s as for Wednesday ---- Thursday -----> 70` degress bayyyyy beeee ) :banghead: ohhhhh man ------ work gets in the way :roflblack: always something

Youngers - I live in Bloomington and see what you see in the weather forecast which is terrific. Did you know a Spyder owner in New Albany named Gary Solodkin with a Yellow RTS?

MR. H1956
04-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Its cold today in middle tennessee. The good thing is its going to get up to the 60's and 70's as we get closer to the weekend. I believe Saturday its going to get up into the mid to upper 70's. I'm so ☺ :yes::clap: its time to go out and:riding: Happy Trails. Life is Good