PDA

View Full Version : spyder dependability

BLACK WIDOW
05-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Since I am new to the spyder world and have less than 700 miles on my 09 yellow, I was wondering what kind of problems I may encounter. I know that a lot of you owners have put many miles on and probably have a pretty good idea of their dependability and problem areas. Your knowledge and experience and opinions would be appreciated. I have owned and rode motorcycles most of my life but the spyder concept and BRP is off my radar scope.:dontknow:

ataDude
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a hard time keeping tread on the rear tires. That's it.

bjt
05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
I have sometimes gotten caught up in the worry of a Spyder breakdown after reading some of these posts but my Spyder has never failed me. The only issues (exhaust seal failure and brake fluid a little low) I've had never had me in limp mode or left me stranded. I'm close to 14,000 miles now.

Zerocool
05-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Just under 4000 miles, no issues. I keep it maintained on schedule and she stays happy.

Firefly
05-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Since I am new to the spyder world and have less than 700 miles on my 09 yellow, I was wondering what kind of problems I may encounter. I know that a lot of you owners have put many miles on and probably have a pretty good idea of their dependability and problem areas. Your knowledge and experience and opinions would be appreciated. I have owned and rode motorcycles most of my life but the spyder concept and BRP is off my radar scope.:dontknow:

Known problems that *some* have had:

Brake noise - various 'soultions'.
Power steering going out - various solutions
Parking brake sticking - BRP has a fix
SE5 shifting problems - various problems and fixes
Oil in Airbox - various solutions
Loose relays - some fixes

Most have NOT had problems. Ride it, have fun - and if a problem pops up - get it fixed by either your dealer or by asking people out here!

Get the BEST extended warranty if you havn't already.

bone crusher
05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Known problems that *some* have had:

Brake noise - various 'soultions'.
Power steering going out - various solutions
Parking brake sticking - BRP has a fix
SE5 shifting problems - various problems and fixes
Oil in Airbox - various solutions
Loose relays - some fixes

Most have NOT had problems. Ride it, have fun - and if a problem pops up - get it fixed by either your dealer or by asking people out here!

Get the BEST extended warranty if you havn't already.

:agree:

Saluda
05-15-2009, 04:47 AM
Just had the parking brake issue resolved and had to pay for a few add ons (as we all have). Ride and enjoy, sometimes I think it's like the 11:00 news, only the bad stuff gets all the air time. :2thumbs:

spydsense
05-15-2009, 05:02 AM
I have sometimes gotten caught up in the worry of a Spyder breakdown after reading some of these posts but my Spyder has never failed me. The only issues (exhaust seal failure and brake fluid a little low) I've had never had me in limp mode or left me stranded. I'm close to 14,000 miles now.

:agree:

Have had a few problems and my spyder has been in the shop a total of 6 weeks BUT she NEVER left me stranded or in limp mode, she may have ran like crap but she got me home.... and I still love her like the first ride...she is over 1 yr old with 9,300 miles....Just have fun, forget about the worlds problems and RIDE....

theRED1
05-15-2009, 07:02 AM
I have had the parking break issue, Check DPS error, oil pressure switch go bad, break squeal, cluster panel reset while on ( as if I just turned it on)...but I love my Spyder!

BajaRon
05-15-2009, 07:16 AM
I have a hard time keeping tread on the rear tires. That's it.

Are you sure you're riding a Spyder? Mine has only 1 rear tire! :D:D

I had bad PS but it's fixed. I've had no other issues other than having to quit riding it to do other stuff like EAT or SLEEP! :ohyea:

aubierules
05-15-2009, 07:27 AM

I had bad PS but it's fixed. I've had no other issues other than having to quit riding it to do other stuff like EAT or SLEEP! :ohyea:
hes riding in reverse:gaah::D

aubierules
05-15-2009, 07:28 AM
i have an se5..been in shop 3 different times for shifting, or should i say...not shifting related issues...

bone crusher
05-15-2009, 07:58 AM
i have an se5..been in shop 3 different times for shifting, or should i say...not shifting related issues...

Hey...if you can't shift, you can't count that against the bike...sounds like a personal problem! :roflblack::roflblack:

ataDude
05-15-2009, 08:43 AM
I mentioned that I have training wheels. :ohyea:

tatt2r
05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
12000 miles still running strong ...the only issue i have had is work it gets in the way of my riding time:D

jedd
05-15-2009, 10:18 AM
8500 miles running stong like tatt2r I need less work more play;)

BRPjunkie
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Like any other motorcycle, car, RV, etc, they are reliable until they stop running which can happen to any vehicle at any time. That is why you need AAA, BRP BEST or other road service. Only way to guarantee it won't ever break down is don't leave home. We are fortunate to live in a time when cell phones make such events less exciting than in the past when you had to wave down a passing car and go to a house or pay phone to get help.

aubierules
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey...if you can't shift, you can't count that against the bike...sounds like a personal problem! :roflblack::roflblack:
go back to ur corner bone:lecturef_smilie: :D

dont forget..its an se5 SOMEBODY on here keeps telling me they suck..not sure who tho:dontknow: :ohyea:

bone crusher
05-15-2009, 08:41 PM
go back to ur corner bone:lecturef_smilie: :D

dont forget..its an se5 SOMEBODY on here keeps telling me they suck..not sure who tho:dontknow: :ohyea:

I hope you figure out who that person is....doesn't sound too nice! :ohyea:

Neez
05-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I had an intermediate gear in the starter drive train seize in it's bearings on my SE5. This appears to be a rare problem, guess I won the lottery. Fixed on warranty, starts and runs well now. Inspired me to buy best plus coverage out to 5 years, though.