PDA

View Full Version : I'm back!

Bob Denman
10-09-2017, 12:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut0XTC33TEQ

After suffering a complete system meltdown last week: the new box just got delivered!
:2thumbs:

Deanna777
10-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Where did you go??? :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

What new box did you get?

Deanna

Bob Denman
10-09-2017, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure yet... but it's running Windows 10. :shocked:
The old 'puter seemed to get slow & lazy... Then it couldn't get Windows (7) to even start.
Without that: I couldn't even get help from remote diagnostics... :banghead:
Rather than continue the hatchet-fight: we just broke down, and bought a new one. :dontknow:

Cavman
10-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Photos?

ARtraveler
10-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Glad your back. It was getting a bit quiet around here. :yes:

Grandpot
10-09-2017, 03:15 PM
That leave of absence must have put you at least 3,000 posts behind.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Sarge707
10-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Windows 10 will try to rule your world unless you resist with determination.nojoke

hypurone
10-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Rather than continue the hatchet-fight: we just broke down, and bought a new one. :dontknow: You can slave the old hard drive in the new system so you can attempt to recover files, docs, pics etc......:thumbup: I would recommend putting the old drive in the frig overnight before slaving it in... it can give you a few mins longer if the drive is indeed failing....

Chupaca
10-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Wow you were gone two days....but it was getting slack here....:lecturef_smilie:next time give us a heads up....:roflblack:

oldguyinTX
10-09-2017, 08:25 PM
Oh no, you lost all of your Avatars???154517 No worries, I can loan you some. BTW, hate windows 10, still getting along with 7. Still runs well and until it dies, I'm 'stickin with it.

d.o.spyder-rts
10-10-2017, 12:22 AM
That leave of absence must have put you at least 3,000 posts behind.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
:agree:, welcome back, missed your posts. Dale

Bob Denman
10-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Oh no, you lost all of your Avatars???154517 No worries, I can loan you some. BTW, hate windows 10, still getting along with 7. Still runs well and until it dies, I'm 'stickin with it.
Worse than that: I lost ALL of my pictures, jokes, links to funny movies, and the list of sites that I frequent! :yikes:

wyliec
10-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Worse than that: I lost ALL of my pictures, jokes, links to funny movies, and the list of sites that I frequent! :yikes:

It's water over the dam now; but, have you thought of backing up your data to an external hard drive?

My iMac crashed and burned a few months ago; luckily I had all data backed up to my external hard drive. I had panicked for a minute before I remembered I had it.

oldguyinTX
10-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Man, that bites. That's why you ALWAYS backup. I have a 1 TB external hard drive & I back up once a week. Or, you could backup in the Cloud.

Spyder_Cowgirl
10-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Bob ... I believe someone has suggested this already. If you have a local computer shop, you can buy a cheap USB case for your old drive and then plug it into a port on the new machine. Since you are just going to read data from the drive, this should work .... that is unless the drive itself is bad.

I am limping a 12 year old computer through Windows 10 and having some interesting challenges -- either my second monitor is not available or my antivirus doesn't start on first boot up (always have to do a restart to get both). I actually have an old drive from a previous computer hooked up as described above and it works well for keeping backups. Additionally, I find I occasionally need a file from that drive that I neglected to migrate years ago .... has paid off to keep it active.

Hope it is the guts of the computer (CPU, or mother board) that is bad and not the drive ... then you will be able to at least access the data.

Good luck .... Ann

Pirate looks at --
10-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Hmmmmmmm.........maybe it was those sites that you frequent that cost you your hard drive!:clap:

UtahPete
10-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Man, that bites. That's why you ALWAYS backup. I have a 1 TB external hard drive & I back up once a week. Or, you could backup in the Cloud.

Me too. But, I recently discovered it died some time ago and there's no way to access the backup files. Need a cloud backup solution soon before my main hard drive fails and I lose everything.

Pirate looks at --
10-10-2017, 09:40 AM
How bout a pic of that new puter?:clap:

Machinegunner
10-10-2017, 10:22 AM
They switched me to windows 10 without my consent. I hate it, seems to be harder to do what ever I did before.

Bob Denman
10-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Bob ... I believe someone has suggested this already. If you have a local computer shop, you can buy a cheap USB case for your old drive and then plug it into a port on the new machine. Since you are just going to read data from the drive, this should work .... that is unless the drive itself is bad.

I am limping a 12 year old computer through Windows 10 and having some interesting challenges -- either my second monitor is not available or my antivirus doesn't start on first boot up (always have to do a restart to get both). I actually have an old drive from a previous computer hooked up as described above and it works well for keeping backups. Additionally, I find I occasionally need a file from that drive that I neglected to migrate years ago .... has paid off to keep it active.

Hope it is the guts of the computer (CPU, or mother board) that is bad and not the drive ... then you will be able to at least access the data.

Good luck .... Ann
Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:
The corpse is still down in the basement; I'll pull the hard drive out of it before disposal...

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Me too. But, I recently discovered it died some time ago and there's no way to access the backup files. Need a cloud backup solution soon before my main hard drive fails and I lose everything.
That's why I've decided not to take anyone up on a super deal for a 2 or 4 Tb drive. As someone said there are two kinds of hard drives, those that have failed and those that will fail. The bigger the hard drive the more you lose when it craps out! We need to go back to the practice 30 years ago in the early days of PC with 5" floppy disks, grandfather, father, son. Three backup media and rotate them each time you make a backup. Do I do it? No. Someday I'll be sorry too, probably! :banghead:

Bob Denman
10-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Mine was a 2 TB; was... :banghead:

wyliec
10-10-2017, 06:08 PM
That's why I've decided not to take anyone up on a super deal for a 2 or 4 Tb drive. As someone said there are two kinds of hard drives, those that have failed and those that will fail. The bigger the hard drive the more you lose when it craps out! We need to go back to the practice 30 years ago in the early days of PC with 5" floppy disks, grandfather, father, son. Three backup media and rotate them each time you make a backup. Do I do it? No. Someday I'll be sorry too, probably! :banghead:

What do you think the chances of your computer's hard drive, and an external hard drive crapping out at the same time? I'd say it was pretty slim.

hypurone
10-10-2017, 09:40 PM

SSD is the way to go if that is what worries you. Even if you manage to reach the max number of writes per sector, it still remains viable as a read only device. Can't remember the last time I saw one fail due to a bad controller. ....

DGoebel
10-10-2017, 09:59 PM
You guys bust me up. I remember external hard drives for backing up, and folks who couldn't recover their data from them....

One Word Carbonite, never lost any files since, no pictures, no favorites, no bookmarks, no docs lost ever, Its all there waiting for you when you trust Carbonite to always backup your data without ever forgetting.

It's kinda like guys quibbling over saving $20 on their $15,000 - $30,000 Spyders

Bob Denman
10-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Carbonite? Can you tell us all a little bit more about this service? It sounds... interesting! :thumbup:

wyliec
10-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Bob D. must be going thru a learning curve on his new computer. He's still not posting much.:)

I've thought about Carbonite in the past. I just don't like the idea of a third party on my computer.

Bob Denman
10-11-2017, 07:24 AM
:shocked: I liked Windows 7 Pro much better... nojoke